Fleck is fired up on KFAN

Who said anything about that? You have to have a combination of good coaching and being able to pay your best players enough to stick around.

Do you think Alabama would be Alabama without paying players, even pre NIL? What do they need Nick Saban for?

PJFs primary strength is recruiting and motivation, public relations. There are plenty of fine Xs and Os guys. Look, I love PJF but I’m not sure I’d compare Fleck to Nick Saban in terms of Xs and Os

Shooter chimes in:

—Insiders say the Gophers have a $300,000 name, image and likeness (NIL) budget to retain and recruit athletes. The department might try defeating Northwestern in football before publicly begging for money to pay players while their coach is paid $6 million a year.

Go Gophers!!

Shooter chimes in:

—Insiders say the Gophers have a $300,000 name, image and likeness (NIL) budget to retain and recruit athletes. The department might try defeating Northwestern in football before publicly begging for money to pay players while their coach is paid $6 million a year.

Go Gophers!!
Does shooter know that coaches are not allowed to contribute to NIL?

Doubt it.

PJFs primary strength is recruiting and motivation, public relations. There are plenty of fine Xs and Os guys. Look, I love PJF but I’m not sure I’d compare Fleck to Nick Saban in terms of Xs and Os

I'm not really. Saban, Smart, or any other top coach wouldn't be where they are without paying their players.

Shooter chimes in:

Go Gophers!!
There are sites that estimate each player’s NIL valuation. Taylor is worth more than the entire budget. Gophs are in big trouble if they can’t add a zero to that budget, and preferably 3x that.

Shooter chimes in:

Go Gophers!!
What does a $300k team budget even mean? Is that a combined donor pool that the staff can divvy out as they feel necessary? I thought NIL was intended to be individual contracts for the athletes?

Shooter chimes in:

Go Gophers!!
I don't even know where to start with this post. First of all, the university doesn't have an NIL budget because they're not allowed to pay athletes or contribute to NIL as mentioned below. The coaches might have $300k at their disposal thanks to Dinkytown Athletes and other donors, but the university budget is unrelated. Second, Fleck's salary is about middle of the pack for the B1G and market rate, but again, it doesn't matter because it's totally unrelated to NIL. Taking money away from Fleck wouldn't help NIL in the least -- and in fact may hurt it for perception reasons. People likely to donate large sums of money for NIL are probably interested in stability at the top if I had to guess.

What does a $300k team budget even mean? Is that a combined donor pool that the staff can divvy out as they feel necessary? I thought NIL was intended to be individual contracts for the athletes?
There is very little about NIL that is what it was intended for.

There is very little about NIL that is what it was intended for.
Understood, but there is no “budget” the coaches are working with that they are controlling what money goes where. Unless I’m completely misunderstanding how these deals get set up.

If you listen to the broadcast and what Fleck said he was not wrong. Fleck was talking about Darius not running up the B gap on the 3rd and 2 and instead bouncing it. Converting of course would have iced the game. He said Darius would learn, implying it was inexperience. I believe he used those exact words. His next statement was about Irving not being there because of NIL. A reasonable person might think Fleck was implying a more experienced back would have hit the proper or desired gap, maybe converted, ended the game right there.

If all we need to do is pay the players, what do we need Fleck for?
Good to see Evans did a nice job of hitting his marks yesterday. He is dynamic. Good 1-2 punch with Taylor once he is back.

Good to see Evans did a nice job of hitting his marks yesterday. He is dynamic. Good 1-2 punch with Taylor once he is back.

Yeah, it was nice to see him on the field and very necessary with Taylor out. Would love to know the inside baseball, seems too convenient to circumstances to be coincidental.

Yeah, it was nice to see him on the field and very necessary with Taylor out. Would love to know the inside baseball, seems too convenient to circumstances to be coincidental.
Said before...I wonder if it's a bit of a stubborn HC?

I'm not really. Saban, Smart, or any other top coach wouldn't be where they are without paying their players.

It’s impossible to prove or disprove your statement. Regardless, if PJF wants to hit up the common man to fund payroll in addition to cultivating high rollers he really does need to avoid head-scratching bad losses to the extent possible, grab the brass ring and win the west when it’s served up on a platter. I still believe Fleck can get it done but he needs a strong supporting cast and I think he needs to review his core approaches and perhaps leadership around offense and special teams. Maybe he really is the issue there. I don’t know.

Could have been an internal "suspension" for violating team rules? I made that up, no idea what the true reason is, but it's a valid hypothetical. We'll never know

Not to ment
I don't even know where to start with this post. First of all, the university doesn't have an NIL budget because they're not allowed to pay athletes or contribute to NIL as mentioned below. The coaches might have $300k at their disposal thanks to Dinkytown Athletes and other donors, but the university budget is unrelated. Second, Fleck's salary is about middle of the pack for the B1G and market rate, but again, it doesn't matter because it's totally unrelated to NIL. Taking money away from Fleck wouldn't help NIL in the least -- and in fact may hurt it for perception reasons. People likely to donate large sums of money for NIL are probably interested in stability at the top if I had to guess.
Plus part of that $300k is probably for the womens' golf team, because fairness or something.

They have a 38% acceptance rate, they don’t take everyone. I guess they have standards
I think you missed the italicized part of his post. He was taking a jab at you for spelling the word "excepted" when you should have spelled it "accepted".

How do you build team chemistry (no I in team, one for all) when the starting line may only receive collective money and the qb is receiving +100 K?

I was thinking the same thing, and thought Colorado would be a hot mess, but I saw a graphic where the QB is getting $4M in NIL and that two-way player Travis Hunter is getting $3+M. Their o-line has issues, so it wouldn't surprise me if none of them had any NIL. Either way, you have two hot shots getting paid and there doesn't seem to be an issue. They came together and almost came back against USC.

My cheer for the home state team is definitely not as loud because of the direction of college sports.
Me too. This is the first year where I am just taking in the games on broadcast TV. In past years I'd have a sports cable package or at least sign up for streaming during college football and then cancel after the season. Now I'll just watch whatever is free, and if I'm entertained, so be it. If not, who cares. In a few years I might not even be tuning in to the broadcast games. I already skip the playoffs, where I'd never considering missing the NC game before the CFP came around.

It's easy to spend someone else's money. Many of these potential NIL funders you identify are no doubt very philanthropic and perhaps direct substantial giving to the University. But whereas giving to the Carlson School or other campus organizations might speak to these donors, giving money to "scholar" athletes might not and who can blame them. Should they be giving away money so you and I can have a more competitive football team to watch?

And yet - so many programs across the country are not having that problem.
Having a competitive football program definitely raises the profile of a school. I'm sure Colorado is going to see an enrollment bump this next year.

I can absolutely appreciate that many intellectuals just can't (or won't) accept that - but surely some graduates from Carlson or the Med School at one time went to games as a student. The U can get creative to create some lasting legacy for big money donors.

Agreed. It’s hard to imagine with the Carlson School of Business, Cargill, Medtronic, Pillsbury n Target that there are not some higher wealth individuals with connections to the U ? So maybe their company can’t figure out how to use an athlete for marketing but that does not mean the individual couldn’t contribute or be an “ Elite “ club member for football donors.
Have you looked at the high level leadership of those companies, very few were U of MN graduates or have ties to the state beyond their career bringing them here.

Sick of coaches blaming circumstances they "can't" control, stop excuses and win football games

Have you looked at the high level leadership of those companies, very few were U of MN graduates or have ties to the state beyond their career bringing them here.
Not to mention Medtronic is owned by an Irish company, and Pillsbury hasn't existed as a company for many years. Maybe I should get a new suit from Foreman & Clark before my interview at Honeywell or North Central Airlines?

Honeywell still exists and still has several locations in the Cities.

Not to mention Medtronic is owned by an Irish company, and Pillsbury hasn't existed as a company for many years. Maybe I should get a new suit from Foreman & Clark before my interview at Honeywell or North Central Airlines?
Medtronic is American (operational HQ here) but has it's legal HQ in Ireland to avoid taxes.

I was thinking the same thing, and thought Colorado would be a hot mess, but I saw a graphic where the QB is getting $4M in NIL and that two-way player Travis Hunter is getting $3+M. Their o-line has issues, so it wouldn't surprise me if none of them had any NIL. Either way, you have two hot shots getting paid and there doesn't seem to be an issue. They came together and almost came back against USC.

Me too. This is the first year where I am just taking in the games on broadcast TV. In past years I'd have a sports cable package or at least sign up for streaming during college football and then cancel after the season. Now I'll just watch whatever is free, and if I'm entertained, so be it. If not, who cares. In a few years I might not even be tuning in to the broadcast games. I already skip the playoffs, where I'd never considering missing the NC game before the CFP came around.

Broken record at this point, but is there ANY tangible evidence these numbers are real? Guaranteed? Players, their agents, schools, programs have incentive to generate interest (and concern) via imaginary or pumped up numbers. AFAIK the contracts and collective books are completely opaque at this time.

Shama chimes in:

“We have a lot of players on our football team right now who make a lot of money in NIL,” Fleck said. “It’s my job, (AD) Mark Coyle’s job, and our job with our NIL department and our collectives to go out and raise lots of money for our student athletes. And that’s what we’ve been doing. There’s been a lot of support from our fans and our alumni to help, because that’s the name of the game.”

Go Gophers!!

It’s impossible to prove or disprove your statement. Regardless, if PJF wants to hit up the common man to fund payroll in addition to cultivating high rollers he really does need to avoid head-scratching bad losses to the extent possible, grab the brass ring and win the west when it’s served up on a platter. I still believe Fleck can get it done but he needs a strong supporting cast and I think he needs to review his core approaches and perhaps leadership around offense and special teams. Maybe he really is the issue there. I don’t know.

I've said it before and I'll say it again......win/loss record is one thing......but style of play doesn't benefit us either. People in my circle know how invested I am in Gophers football. As casual fans....what I constantly hear from them is "boring". The Gophers are boring. And that is something that I'm sure hurts with NIL as well. As much as I hate to admit it.....going 7-5 while scoring in the 30s through the air is going to get more people on board than the 7-5 team that scores 17 with their longest play being a 15 yard slant. It's not exciting and it's not grabbing the attention of casual fans.

When Oregon, UCLA, USC, and Washington come on board......the divisions are gone......and the Gophers start seeing tougher schedules.....PJ is going to have to do something drastic. Fighting for bowl eligibility year in and year out while being one of the most boring teams in the FBS isn't going to get sponsors on board.

I don’t believe for one single second that any casual fan of (major) CFB donates to any NIL collective, any more than they “donate” to NFL teams that they casually tune in.

No chance. Certainly not any 7-5 teams, regardless how exciting they are.

If you’re actually donating to a NIL collective, you tune in that schools games every week, go to games, and probably an alum.

Where casual fans make an impact on (major) CFB, is in TV ratings. You can’t get a game up in the top ratings without casual fans tuning in. You can’t do that with the two fanbases alone. That’s where the casual folks can have an impact.

Higher ratings for a conference means more valuable TV contract, which means more $$$ in the check cut from the conf to the school each year.

Top Bottom