Fleck is fired up on KFAN

I'm god awful at math, but I'm just sitting here wondering, "Where does all the money go?"
Well, if you look at some of the UMN Scandals, it goes to hookers, er, girlfriends going on vacations with Professors, and payoffs when those Professors turn out to be abusive boyfriends.

Last edited:

All these recurring themes of Minnesota not having enough Gopher fans... Yet almost everyone I know was talking about the NW loss. There's a lot more out there than I realized.

We have SO MUCH wealth in our corporate sector, how in god's name is Coyle not soaking that for all it's worth? Perhaps he's tried, but he needs to try harder.
The wealth in our corporate sector come from out-of-towners coming here to run companies. They have allegiances to their undergrad school, not Minnesota.

It's not like Minnesotans are working their way up from the mail room to become CEO, and most of the B School grads go out of state for advanced degrees. UMN stopped being an undergrad school in the 1980s and it stopped being a post-secondary school at the turn of the millennium.

The research school of excellence myth that Academia is perpetuating does nothing for the other aspects of UMN nor for Minnesota since that research is purchased for those same out-of-state corporations who send their corporate wealth people here to watch over their outbound stream of money.

Nothing, replying to your statement that the MIAC students have more pride than students in any public University in Minnesota. We should take tremendous pride in the UofM.
How incredibly naive. The longer that I have been an alumni of UMN the more I have found gaffes, missteps and outright hubris-induced failures by the University of Minnesota. The biggest one has to be the Minnesota Experimental City project where University "leaders" got the State to fund and attempt to strong arm residents of Central Minnesota into giving up land to create a city of the future.

Did a quick search and Belzers has a dodge pickup lease for $480/month. Which is $5800 a year. 4800 is maybe a bit optimistic.
Probably with money down. And that does. It include taxes and fees I’m guessing

Probably with money down. And that does. It include taxes and fees I’m guessing
The one I found was no money down. They did have a couple cheaper ones but they looked pretty stripped down.

The one I found was no money down. They did have a couple cheaper ones but they looked pretty stripped down.
Regardless whether it’s 6k 5k or whatever I thought it was a pretty newsworthy move that got a lot of press. And in the grand scheme of things probably not the worst way to spend NIL money

PJ was fired up again on his radio show about the state of College Football. I caught the end of it (First 30 minutes), and Darrell Thompson was part of the show with JG. Talking about you players, inexperience, injuries and other items.

Very complimentary to Iowa and talked about how they are a team and how the offense, special teams, and defense all work together. How their offense will pass more some games, and run more in others. They run a lot of 3 TE formations and if one guy makes a mistake the RB's will go 80 yards.

Interesting. The average expected points from starting field position seems to escape our Gophers special teams brain trust. Perhaps a neglected unit.

Let's hope it was a GopherHoler that won the 1.765 billion PowerBall last night. NIL $

I don’t think they were “full size” trucks?

They probably have some farm kids who would drool over a new basic Ram 1500 (or whatever they call a quarter-ton pickup), but I can’t imagine that is what most of them dream about.

Interesting. The average expected points from starting field position seems to escape our Gophers special teams brain trust. Perhaps a neglected unit.
It's interesting listening to him talk about Iowa.

"Their PR does not fair catch the ball."
"Their P can punt it 60 and flip the field."
"They will pass one week and run the next and do what they need to do to win by 1 pt."
"Sometimes a 3 and out isn't bad for them as they can flip the field and put the defense back on the field."

He commented how Penn State ran 90 plays and only scored 31pts. Iowa makes you earn it on every drive.

"They will pass one week and run the next and do what they need to do to win by 1 pt."
"Sometimes a 3 and out isn't bad for them as they can flip the field and put the defense back on the field."

He commented how Penn State ran 90 plays and only scored 31pts. Iowa makes you earn it on every drive.
90 plays is a game and a half for our slowdown offense.

I liked when gaardsy said ‘that’s not what I asked.’ In many bt football markets that would get a guy banned from interviews.

I looked at the boxscore from that Penn State game. Looks like Penn State played it super safe and had long sustained drives where their average pass attempt was just 4.6 yards and they ran it 57 times.

A big part of the 90 plays came from the fact that Iowa's offense could do nothing all game and managed to gain just 76 yards for the game and had just 4 first downs.

Have said it before, for everyone hating on our offense, it could be so much worse. Iowa's offense is painfully bad and with the injuries now it is just going to get worse. The one thing you could count on with Iowa on offense was great TE play and with the injuries there they don't even have that anymore.

It will be a massive disappointment if our defense is not able to shut that offense down on Saturday. Their offense racked up 237 yards against Wisconsin but 82 of those yards came on one play and on that play the back went right up the middle and like 5 Wisconsin players whiffed on the tackle.

Our offense has to find a way to sustain some drives and can't turn the ball over. Make Iowa beat us with their offense and we win the game.

You play the cards we are dealt with with but a good bluff can beat a good hand Iowa going to be surprised

Iowa offense had:
- the 82 yard breakaway run for a TD
- a FG off a 6 play 28yd drive
- a FG off a 5 play 17yd drive
- 11 drives ending in punt or turnover on downs (not including the end of the game)

Problem was that Wisc offense scored 6 points and gave up a safety.

I know their QB went out with injury, but damn. Offense has to do better than that.

Overcoming 15 (13 if you don’t give up a safety) points cannot be too much to ask.

Defense cannot be expect to play perfectly on every single play. Giving up one huge play in a game cannot be the end of it.

I’ll take a 17-15 or 21-15 win over Iowa any year!!

Iowa offense had:
- the 82 yard breakaway run for a TD
- a FG off a 6 play 28yd drive
- a FG off a 5 play 17yd drive
- 11 drives ending in punt or turnover on downs (not including the end of the game)

Problem was that Wisc offense scored 6 points and gave up a safety.

I know their QB went out with injury, but damn. Offense has to do better than that.

Overcoming 15 (13 if you don’t give up a safety) points cannot be too much to ask.

Defense cannot be expect to play perfectly on every single play. Giving up one huge play in a game cannot be the end of it.

I’ll take a 17-15 or 21-15 win over Iowa any year!!
Unfortunately Iowa has averaged 27pts per game and is 6-0 against our PJ led gophers.

I looked at the boxscore from that Penn State game. Looks like Penn State played it super safe and had long sustained drives where their average pass attempt was just 4.6 yards and they ran it 57 times.

A big part of the 90 plays came from the fact that Iowa's offense could do nothing all game and managed to gain just 76 yards for the game and had just 4 first downs.

Have said it before, for everyone hating on our offense, it could be so much worse. Iowa's offense is painfully bad and with the injuries now it is just going to get worse. The one thing you could count on with Iowa on offense was great TE play and with the injuries there they don't even have that anymore.

It will be a massive disappointment if our defense is not able to shut that offense down on Saturday. Their offense racked up 237 yards against Wisconsin but 82 of those yards came on one play and on that play the back went right up the middle and like 5 Wisconsin players whiffed on the tackle.

Our offense has to find a way to sustain some drives and can't turn the ball over. Make Iowa beat us with their offense and we win the game.
Iowa's offense is bad, but here is the thing, they do what is needed to win games.

Agree it would be a massive disappointment if we can't shut it down.

That said you last statement rings the loudest to me, we need to sustain drives and can't turn it over.
So far, anytime we have played a defense that isn't bad, AK has turned it over a ton and we also haven't been able to get much going.
My guess for this game would be 2 interceptions and probably 8-20 out of our boy. He will get eaten alive by this Iowa defense. Sorry, but I'm not optimistic. This is the worst Gopher team we've had here for a little while and this is basically the same Iowa as always.

Unfortunately Iowa has averaged 27pts per game and is 6-0 against our PJ led gophers.
The only way this Iowa team gets close to 27 points is if their defense scores multiple Td. Not impossible but taking care of the ball is priority #1-100 for our offense. Have to make Iowa earn their points with their offense.

The only way this Iowa team gets close to 27 points is if their defense scores multiple Td. Not impossible but taking care of the ball is priority #1-100 for our offense. Have to make Iowa earn their points with their offense.

True. This also means PJ goes uber-conservative against Iowa once again. That model hasn't worked six years in a row. Will this be the year it does?

It will be a massive disappointment if our defense is not able to shut that offense down on Saturday.
Their offense racked up 237 yards against Wisconsin but 82 of those yards came on one play and on that play the back went right up the middle and like 5 Wisconsin players whiffed on the tackle.

Ok how do we know they can’t pass to the TE against the Gophers? All they do is turn out high draft picks at the position. We don’t know if they have further depth behind the injured players, and for whatever reason the TE position of Iowa had been Rossi’s kryptonite.

2nd bolded we definitely agree upon. Their damn offense is terrible. 90 something in rushing offense and 128th overall passing offense out of 130 teams. Don’t worry the Gophers are 127th. Yeesh!

Gophers offense is pretty good running the ball, terrible passing. Iowa’s offense is bad running the football and terrible passing.

It’s ugly on ugly. With the Gophers having one less wart. Damn I wish this was a home game as that could be the difference this year.

back to NIL.

old-timers like me can gripe about this all we want - but until there is federal legislation, this is the reality for a D1 football program in a P5 conference.

the players all know what kind of money is out there, and they know which schools - or their boosters - are shelling out the biggest payoffs.

so schools like MN have a very stark choice - find the money to attract and keep top athletes, or refuse to play the money game, and become a 2nd or 3rd-tier program.

sure, the Gophers will get some players who just like the school, like the coaches, or for whatever reason just don't care about playing the money game - but can they get enough players in that category to be competitive with the big spenders? I doubt it.

The wealth in our corporate sector come from out-of-towners coming here to run companies. They have allegiances to their undergrad school, not Minnesota.

It's not like Minnesotans are working their way up from the mail room to become CEO, and most of the B School grads go out of state for advanced degrees. UMN stopped being an undergrad school in the 1980s and it stopped being a post-secondary school at the turn of the millennium.

The research school of excellence myth that Academia is perpetuating does nothing for the other aspects of UMN nor for Minnesota since that research is purchased for those same out-of-state corporations who send their corporate wealth people here to watch over their outbound stream of money.

I wasn't thinking that CEO's or executives would be donating themselves - folks in those positions tend to be extremely self centered. I'm speaking on donations from operating budgets. Certainly there are tax incentives for certain donations to non profits or charities. As far as I know, NIL certainly wouldn't fall into those categories or be worthy of any tax write off, but I would imagine there could be huge opportunities for some quid pro quo. In other words, you donate to our NIL and we will sell your beer in our stadium. Or, to simply dream a little dream... (3M) donates to our NIL, and we will exclusively use their products to maintain facilities across campus.

There's hundreds of millions at stake in college football, I'm not willing to accept that corporations can't be got with the right carrot.

Your other comments on the state of the UMN feel subjective and totally off topic, but I'll bite.

It stopped being an undergrad school? That's strange considering they have nearly 40k undergrads. I hate making assumptions, but you're leaving me no choice - I'm assuming you're referring to the massive spikes in tuition we've seen across post secondary education for decades, pushing traditional 4-year-on-campus-universities out of reach for those not willing to incur massive debt. In that sense, I am sympathetic to your message. That said, if you are from a low income background, you'll definitely get big Pell and MN grants. It's the middle class that really get's destroyed in financial "aid."

"Stopped being a post secondary school."

Again, I can only make assumptions about your comment. Perhaps you have an axe to grind with curriculum. Otherwise, I have no idea what you're saying considering the U is accredited and pumping out graduates across a ton of programs every year. A classic liberal arts education hasn't changed all that much, even if the value vs cost has.

back to NIL.

old-timers like me can gripe about this all we want - but until there is federal legislation, this is the reality for a D1 football program in a P5 conference.

the players all know what kind of money is out there, and they know which schools - or their boosters - are shelling out the biggest payoffs.

so schools like MN have a very stark choice - find the money to attract and keep top athletes, or refuse to play the money game, and become a 2nd or 3rd-tier program.

sure, the Gophers will get some players who just like the school, like the coaches, or for whatever reason just don't care about playing the money game - but can they get enough players in that category to be competitive with the big spenders? I doubt it.
NIL will ruin this program.

back to NIL.

I don't disagree with what you are saying but we really weren't all that competitive with the big spenders before open Pay for Play (need to stop calling it NIL) either so not a ton has changed in that regard. Open pay for play may have expanded the pool of big spenders some but most power 5 teams were on the outside looking in before and still are now.

In this current college football landscape it is going to be tough to reach the top for those programs that are not the helmet schools. Not impossible but very difficult and it has gotten even harder with free transfers, immediate eligibility, and the ability to buy/poach players from other rosters.

I’m hoping NIL is just early in the hype cycle, right now, and will enter the trough if disillusionment sooner than later.

Think about this: you’re Joe Schmoe Rich Asshole, and you’ve blown $1M funding 10 players NIL. And … those players all ended up not contributing much if at all.

At what point do you say “screw this”??

That has to be happening, to some degree already. There are only a few stars out there per year and so few people can get to claim they’re funding those guys.

Who wants to fork over a lot of money, when it feels like you aren’t getting much out of it?

That’s all part of the asinine nature of how this is working.

You’d get laughed out of the room if you suggested that fans should directly fund the salaries of NFL players.

Ehh, the 27pts per game are not exactly because of Iowa's offense. I'd argue probably 25% (or more) are from Iowa's defense. Every year I say basically the same thing - if Minnesota wants to win against Iowa - don't turn the ball over.

True. This also means PJ goes uber-conservative against Iowa once again. That model hasn't worked six years in a row. Will this be the year it does?
And against this Iowa team that is 1000% the right strategy because if we get over aggressive we will probably make a mistake and that is what Iowa counts on and capitalizes on. Penn State didn't have a play over 19 yards in their win over Iowa. They ran, threw short passes and most importantly didn't make mistakes.

Obviously Penn State is a much better team than we are but the way they attacked Iowa is the way to beat this team. Iowa's offense couldn't do anything on its own when it wasn't getting help from the other team by giving them short fields to work with.

I'm fine with mostly play-action, quick slants, and other high percentage short throws.

Just as long as we aren't predictable, run-run-pass-punt.

Top Bottom