Fla State to hire Gophers LB/Assistant HC Bill Miller

Damn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link from the link:

http://coachingsearch.247sports.com...tant-Bill-Miller-to-join-the-FSU-staff-179131

"University of Minnesota linebackers coach Bill Miller will join the Florida State coaching staff, a source has informed CoachingSearch.com.

Miller has served as the linebackers / assistant head coach at Minnesota since 2011. He is the first coach to leave Jerry Kill’s staff.

Having served as the defensive coordinator at Miami (FL) from 1995-1998 and the linebackers / associate head coach at Florida from 2003-2004, Miller has now claim that he’s coaches at the ‘Big 3’ in the state of Florida.

Prior to joining the Minnesota staff, Miller coached at Kansas, Louisville, Western Michigan, Arizona, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Nevada, Drake, and Texas-Arlington.

At Florida State, he fills the last position on the staff and is expected to coach the linebackers."

Now, who to replace him. Need to have solid credentials and a good reputation with the players.

The rich get richer...

Ex-Gophers Coach Tim Brewster Ranked Top-10 Recruiter by ESPN for 2014

Tim Brewster has resumed his role as a top recruiter ... and is apparently a pretty good one as far as ESPN.com is concerned. The site ranked the top college football assistant coaches in terms of who brought in the biggest haul from the recruiting trail this year, and Brewster checked in at No. 6 in their list of 10. As Recruiting Coordinator for FSU, Brewster's fingerprints are all over their No. 3 recruiting class for 2014.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story?id=10410839

tyrone carter wants a job on the staff. he's already working with a lot of hs kids and some former Gophers. no reason he can't coach LBs and he would help with recruiting too.

tyrone carter wants a job on the staff. he's already working with a lot of hs kids and some former Gophers. no reason he can't coach LBs and he would help with recruiting too.

I would LOVE TC to join the staff in any way possible!

Sawvel played LB in college. Move him to LBs and give TC the the DB gig!!

This is bad news, Miller was one hell of a coach and recruiter. I guess the bright side is he is moving onto a "bigger" program and all of Kills long time coaches remain loyal. I wonder how big of an influence Brewster had in bringing him over?

The rich get richer...

Ex-Gophers Coach Tim Brewster Ranked Top-10 Recruiter by ESPN for 2014

Tim Brewster has resumed his role as a top recruiter ... and is apparently a pretty good one as far as ESPN.com is concerned. The site ranked the top college football assistant coaches in terms of who brought in the biggest haul from the recruiting trail this year, and Brewster checked in at No. 6 in their list of 10. As Recruiting Coordinator for FSU, Brewster's fingerprints are all over their No. 3 recruiting class for 2014.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story?id=10410839

Cripes, I could recruit talent to FSU.....

I will second this recommendation. It does several things. Promotion from with in. Brings in the best Safety we ever had, and a NFL Championship ring. TC was the key to job number one stop the run.

What about Sherels moving into LB Coach? Just thought of that one...although, ultimately, I would LOVE to see TC on this coaching staff.

tyrone carter wants a job on the staff. he's already working with a lot of hs kids and some former Gophers. no reason he can't coach LBs and he would help with recruiting too.[/QUOTE]

Really.

How so? Based on what?

A Big Ten coaching position is not the place for on-the-job training, nor the place for someone with zero previous formal coaching experience. I love how people rip Maturi mercilessly for hiring somebody with "no experience" (though the guy had been a major college/NFL coach for 20 years before being hired here) and yet want to hire someone with literally zero experience, and at a position for which he is thoroughly unqualified nonetheless. I love TC to death, and I want him involved as much as he is willing to be with the Gopher program, but I think even he'd tell you that he has no business on the Gopher staff in 2014, and certainly not as a LB coach. At the very least (emphasis on the very), he needs to gain some seasoning at a lower level and/or a couple of seasons as a GA before a move like this would be made. Also, you don't hire someone with no playing or coaching experience at a position to coach said position. I wouldn't hire Brett Favre to be the Gophers WR coach either.

A Big Ten coaching position is not the place for on-the-job training, nor the place for someone with zero previous formal coaching experience. I love how people rip Maturi mercilessly for hiring somebody with "no experience" (though the guy had been a major college/NFL coach for 20 years before being hired here) and yet want to hire someone with literally zero experience, and at a position for which he is thoroughly unqualified nonetheless. I love TC to death, and I want him involved as much as he is willing to be with the Gopher program, but I think even he'd tell you that he has no business on the Gopher staff in 2014, and certainly not as a LB coach. At the very least (emphasis on the very), he needs to gain some seasoning at a lower level and/or a couple of seasons as a GA before a move like this would be made. Also, you don't hire someone with no playing or coaching experience at a position to coach said position. I wouldn't hire Brett Favre to be the Gophers WR coach either.

This pretty much sums up what I think as well. Bill Miller has been around the block with several big time college programs and was an important coach and a good recruiter. You just don't fill that hole with someone with limited to no experience such as Sherels or Carter. Typical Minnesota homerism at its best.

Kill is well known and well liked among coaching circles. I have no doubt there are plenty of coaches with more experience who would love to work on Kill's staff. This is a big loss but Kill will make the right choice to fill the position.

Also, you don't hire someone with no playing or coaching experience at a position to coach said position. I wouldn't hire Brett Favre to be the Gophers WR coach either.

This actually happens more than you'd think. Off the top of my head I know the Packers hired former NFL QB Alex Van Pelt as RB coach he previously had only been a QB coach.

Have to admit as soon as I saw this news I thought of Tyrone Carter. Sounds like he has been very active with high school programs and is itching to get a coaching job. I'd love to bring him in. Our staff has been together for so long that I don't think it would hurt us too much bringing in a relatively green coaching candidate like Carter.

I wouldn't be opposed to Coach Kill moving some coaches around and finding a place for TC but putting him in as a position coach would be setting him up to fail.

:rolleyes: You can bash Brewster for a lot of things, but recruiting isn't one of them. He excels at that and anyone who doesn't recognize that is just a blind homer.

Did he excel at recruiting while he was at the U? Let's see, in 4 years, here are the guys he recruited that are in the NFL:

1. Tramaine Brock
2. MarQueis Gray
3. Rashede Hageman (soon to be)

That's 3 players in 4 years. I think his label as a "great recruiter" can certainly be questioned during his tenure at Minnesota.

By the way, this move by Miller is not that surprising in the slightest bit. He's a journeyman through and through. His longest tenure was maybe 5 years as the OK State DC? I'd bet he isn't at Florida State for more than 3 or 4 years. Loved him while he was here though.

By the way, this move by Miller is not that surprising in the slightest bit. He's a journeyman through and through. His longest tenure was maybe 5 years as the OK State DC? I'd bet he isn't at Florida State for more than 3 or 4 years. Loved him while he was here though.

Agree, he has moved around a lot and "only" been a part of Kill's staff since he got here. Eventually it was going to happen.

Miller was no good. No big loss at all. We can get someone better.
- Just thought I'd start the natural transition that is coming.

This actually happens more than you'd think.

No, it doesn't. Name me one guy who has gotten a major college position coach job with zero paid formal coaching experience at a position which he has never coached (obviously, since he hasn't coached at all) OR played. There are plenty of guys who get hired with no coaching experience (Mike Vrabel, for example), but guys don't get hired at a position where they lack expertise AND experience. Ohio St. didn't hire Vrabel to coach the secondary.

Off the top of my head I know the Packers hired former NFL QB Alex Van Pelt as RB coach he previously had only been a QB coach.

Van Pelt had multiple years as an offensive quality control coach and as an offensive coordinator. If someone's been a coordinator, I'd give them a little leeway as to position coaching. Also, comparing a former NFL offensive coordinator to a guy with zero coaching experience at any level is more than a little ridiculous.

It's natural to think of fitting someone we know and like in that hole. My first thought was Mike Sherels - I love that guy. But Killer's going to find someone good to fill that role, and Sherels is going to continue to learn and develop as a coach (or wash out).

Does anybody really think Tyrone Carter might go the GA route? It seems like such a step down for him.

Did he excel at recruiting while he was at the U? Let's see, in 4 years, here are the guys he recruited that are in the NFL:

1. Tramaine Brock
2. MarQueis Gray
3. Rashede Hageman (soon to be)

That's 3 players in 4 years. I think his label as a "great recruiter" can certainly be questioned during his tenure at Minnesota.
Now you're intentionally sticking your head in the sand. Having players get drafted relies heavily on being coached correctly. Brewster brought in great recruiting classes to the U given the situation here.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jerry Kill confirmed to reporters this morning that Bill Miller is leaving. Guys wait years to coach w Kill. He’ll get a good one.</p>— FootballScoop Staff (@footballscoop) <a href="https://twitter.com/footballscoop/statuses/438007655576395776">February 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TC will be in a waiting line according to this.

Top Bottom