Fire Tubby!

In the 3 B1G games the team has played, the gophers have won the second half score by 12 vs mich st. 15 vs NW, and 13 @ILL, thats average margin of 13.3 just in the second half alone. Thats' all to do with halftime adjustments Tubby makes, for anyone to say he can't coach is only out to get him.

I think the 1st half hockey line subs also help the starters out in the 2nd half.

Relatively few big time coaches will play a "second five". When the do it is usually in anger at the starters going through the motions and not playing hard. The exception would be some of the Tulane, UAB, and some other mid majors that have their second five come in and press and play crazy defense. Let's just hope Tubby can either stop this or that it doesnt kill us in closer games. Look how good Oto looked with Trevor on the floor.

Relatively few big time coaches will play a "second five". When the do it is usually in anger at the starters going through the motions and not playing hard. The exception would be some of the Tulane, UAB, and some other mid majors that have their second five come in and press and play crazy defense. Let's just hope Tubby can either stop this or that it doesnt kill us in closer games. Look how good Oto looked with Trevor on the floor.

Lol! Did you not watch the game? Tubby did the line change, it didn't work out so he adjusted. Next time the line change might work and if not tubby will make the adjustment like he did against Illinois. We can't expect our starters to play complete games night in and night out, just asking for injuries IMO

I'd be floored if Dre left for the NBA after this year.

Austin leaving would be surprising but not ridiculous if the team had a deep NCAA run and his stock was high.

Next years team will only be limited by how good our new frontcourt is. EE, Mo, and Buggs wouldn't inspire a lot of confidence as starting F/Cs now, but they could emerge next season.

This time last year I was wondering if Joe Coleman would ever be able to make a jump shot outside 5 feet. If any of our bigs make the kind of progression that he did last offseason we could be damn good again.

+1

DP, I have an exercise for you. Let's say that Tyus, Rashad, and Reid Travis all commit here, AND Tyus somehow swings Jahlil Okafor to come here. (I know it's never going to happen--I'm just speaking hypothetically). Or, let's say all four decide to enroll at Kentucky. Would you expect that core of players would be more successful at Kentucky than they would be here, based strictly on the fact that Kentucky has a more successful history and more of a basis to expect better results?

DP, I have an exercise for you. Let's say that Tyus, Rashad, and Reid Travis all commit here, AND Tyus somehow swings Jahlil Okafor to come here. (I know it's never going to happen--I'm just speaking hypothetically). Or, let's say all four decide to enroll at Kentucky. Would you expect that core of players would be more successful at Kentucky than they would be here, based strictly on the fact that Kentucky has a more successful history and more of a basis to expect better results?

Yes. The 5-13 players at Kentucky will be better than those here, they have a better coach, more resources, a bigger arena, a better, more ardent following, more media exposure and coverage, etc., etc. All of those things matter and make a difference. Why do they have those things? Ah, yes - HISTORY.

Lol! Did you not watch the game? Tubby did the line change, it didn't work out so he adjusted. Next time the line change might work and if not tubby will make the adjustment like he did against Illinois. We can't expect our starters to play complete games night in and night out, just asking for injuries IMO

I think your missing the point. I am not saying we shouldn't play our bench. I am a big fan of Oto. EE has struggled compared to last year. But Welch is playing better and overall Mav is playing better than in years past. I am talking about Tubby's hockey line change only. It is a widely discussed theme and one that even the hardest Tubby supporters have questioned. He is using it less and less and we are very happy. So I will say it this way, unless he is doing it to light a fire in the entire starting lineups rears I would rather not see it. The subs play way better when they are mixed in with players who can score. End of story. This isn't a one game comment.

Yes. The 5-13 players at Kentucky will be better than those here, they have a better coach, more resources, a bigger arena, a better, more ardent following, more media exposure and coverage, etc., etc. All of those things matter and make a difference. Why do they have those things? Ah, yes - HISTORY.

Fair point, but doesn't really back up your argument. Given your stance about this year's Gophers, you wouldn't think the collection of players would be as important as a winning history. Yet the first thing you say why Kentucky would be better? The players.

And, to almost anybody who has watched, the Gophers have the players this year to reasonably expect better results than your expected one NCAA Tournament win. If you don't see it that way, fine, but don't act smarter than everyone else because, in your mind, you're the only one who can formulate reasonable expectations.

A winning history gives a program like Kentucky a lot of nice things. But it doesn't make the five guys on the floor better (or worse, for a program without that history) than their talent dictates. And the talent and ability on the Gopher roster this year so far surpasses our historical talent that it's crazy to dampen expectations because of past teams.

Top Bottom