Fire Rob Wenger

You really think we don’t have a whole room full of really fast guys that could return kicks and punts? The fact that PJ runs out a kid who likely wouldn’t start for a D3 team is all on him.

Redding ranked 15th overall in kick return average last season as a freshman.

Even before that, DeJean was waving, the Iowa blocker ran away from him, and #24 stood there for a second, then the ball bounced and he ran towards the ball, then tried to make the tackle when DeJean picked it up and started running.
Exactly. I watched it again tonight. A terrible call, and it identifies Dejean as a cheater. He knows exactly what he is doing. That play should make the rounds on social media next.
DeJean is a competitor above all else. He will try anything to win and often gets away with it if it’s grey area. The last thing he cares about is what is put on social media.

That's one way to look at it. Then you also can't complain at all when you get caught and the rule is enforced correctly.
I am not complaining about the rules being enforced and neither is Ferentz. He’s putting on a show for the locals. Nobody else cares what Kirk says.

DeJean is a competitor above all else. He will try anything to win and often gets away with it if it’s grey area. The last thing he cares about is what is put on social media.
You’re right. The point of my post was for him to see it and get his feelings hurt. JFC.

You’re right. The point of my post was for him to see it and get his feelings hurt. JFC.
He’s a kid who would give you a free swing with an ax if it would give his team 15 yards. You can’t hurt his feelings.

Ok fair enough. What is your desired outcome for special teams then?
Catching the ball would be a good start. Honestly, I would be completely content with our special teams if we could reliably fair catch a punt, fair catch any kickoff inside the 15, and attempt a kick return if it’s forward of the 15. We have had up guys fair catch kicks between the 20-25 yard line which is not helpful.

Catching the ball would be a good start. Honestly, I would be completely content with our special teams if we could reliably fair catch a punt, fair catch any kickoff inside the 15, and attempt a kick return if it’s forward of the 15. We have had up guys fair catch kicks between the 20-25 yard line which is not helpful.
Agree with this completely. We give up way too much yardage every game because we let punts bounce and roll.

This could be its own thread easily, but:

Would people prefer that the rule was something like “you give a clear, over the head fair catch signal reasonably well before any fielding attempt, or else you’re fair game to get absolutely lit up the moment you try to field the ball” ??

I don’t know if the current rule was put in place because returners were trying to cheat too much, or people were getting smashed, or both.

There was a reason.

As Fleck said: it should have been blown dead.

That run should have never been allowed to get going at all.

Would’ve avoided the entire thing.

Top Bottom