FINALLY...some good news about Trevor

gl

I don't think Trevor would have hung around all year if he didn't want to be a Gopher...but I think he wants to play in general, over being a Gopher. If he can't play here, he just wants to play somewhere and finish up his eligibility before he's 32! ;)

Trevor needs to realize he will not be playing ncaa div 1, anywhere, until his trial is settled and he is found Not Guilty.

IMHO.

From Sid's column today.

Maturi said he wouldn't be surprised if Mbakwe gets NCAA clearance to play at another school without putting in a year as a transfer student because of the action Maturi took in not allowing Mbakwe to play. Other schools would have allowed him to compete in the same situation.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/94346189.html?page=1&c=y

Trevor must have been assured by another coach, or coaches,(somebody must have got in his ear) that he would indeed be allowed to play if he transferred. Now even Maturi sounds as if Trevor might be allowed to at another school. The twists and turns of this story in the last couple of days are amazing.

Joel Maturi... A MAN who stands on Principal.

Whatever way the wind blows right Joel?

What kind of AD makes important decisions by a) not factoring in all of the evidence possible, and b) by letting the media play such an important role in a decision that is ultimately his?

The Joel Maturi kind.

This is terrible news. Not for Trevor, but for our AD. Here's why:

By potentially reversing his earlier decision to not let Trevor play while charges are pending:

At best, it proves he is entertaining the thought of breaking his tough stance on players under investigation like Trevor and Royce. This was the one thing many were still commending him on throughout all the troubles. Not anymore.

At worst, it proves he didn't fully understand the entire situation with the case, the pending investigation, and the circumstances before making a decision that has a profound impact on the lives of many young men including Trevor. His job description calls for making appropriate decision-making when it comes to these matters. One would hope he would gather as much information as possible before doing so.

It has also recently come out that he let the MEDIA play a part in Trevor's situation. It has been reported that if others wouldn't have gotten into trouble and the media made it a big issue, Trevor would have played last year. What kind of AD makes important decisions by a) not factoring in all of the evidence possible, and b) by letting the media play such an important role in a decision that is ultimately his?

Troubling, to say the very least.

You raise good points, but I have to respectfully disagree.

In your best case scenario, I agree to an extent, but every situation is unique. This legal situation is out of the norm, and that needs to be taken into consideration.

As for your worst case - I do not take his softening approach as evidence that he did not look at all available information. It seemed fairly certain that this case would be resolved this summer. That is no longer the case. If Trevor misrepresented the situation to Maturi, then a hardline approach should be maintained. However, I speculate that Trevor fully expected this case to be resolved this summer. The process is taking longer than expected. This is likely due to Trevor's defense, however, they have to adjust to the situation, and if key defense witnesses are unable to take the stand, I fully expect them to delay the trial. Furthermore, if the NCAA is likely to let him transfer and play next season, and other teams are willing to let him play next season, this is new evidence in the scenario that he must consider. Omnipotence is not a quality I expect out of any man, and to hold Maturi to that standard is simply unfair.

In a perfect world, I wish that the media and public opinion played no role in the decision-making process. However, it is his job to maintain the integrity of the program, which has components of objective truth and public perception. If he ignored public perception, he wouldn't be doing his job, IMO.

I do think Maturi could have handled several situations better, however, I am able to do that from afar, using 20-20 hindsight, a luxury Maturi does not have when making his decisions.

Agreed. BGF...just grab a box of kleenex, your favorite lotion, your latest Play Girl magazine and do the rest of us a favor and lock yourself in the bathroom for the next 20 years. Your hate-spewing crap has LONG worn out its welcome around here.

You just offended every gay person that may go on this sight. Honestly, you had to attack by insinuating that I was a homosexual. I wish the whole world could see how shallow and ridiculous that makes you look.

"I luv the uofm but i can only b suspended so many games for somethin I didn do so I kno there will b ppl out there bashin me 4this decision but I have 2do whats best 4 my family n me"

Is this good news?

You just offended every gay person that may go on this sight. Honestly, you had to attack by insinuating that I was a homosexual. I wish the whole world could see how shallow and ridiculous that makes you look.

I think its shallow and ridiculous that people get offended so easily. this is an internet forum and you need to toughen the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# up

So Maturi managed to offend the 2 best recruits in what was supposed to be one of the best recruiting classes in the history of the university of Minnesota. These people committed offenses that other school wouldnt have even batted an eye at. I understand Maturi trying to keep the University at a high ethical level but come on. I know I stated that Maturi's hands were tied by the university by laws in an earlier post but now all of a sudden Maturi is talking the about possibility of reinstating Mbakwe if any new convincing evidence to prove that Mbakwe was innocent. This case is almost a year old. There isn't going to be any new evidence. If you can reinstate him now you could have reinstated him last year. Maturi needs to learn that peeing your pants will only keep you warm for some long.

So Maturi managed to offend the 2 best recruits in what was supposed to be one of the best recruiting classes in the history of the university of Minnesota. These people committed offenses that other school wouldnt have even batted an eye at. I understand Maturi trying to keep the University at a high ethical level but come on. I know I stated that Maturi's hands were tied by the university by laws in an earlier post but now all of a sudden Maturi is talking the about possibility of reinstating Mbakwe if any new convincing evidence to prove that Mbakwe was innocent. This case is almost a year old. There isn't going to be any new evidence. If you can reinstate him now you could have reinstated him last year. Maturi needs to learn that peeing your pants will only keep you warm for some long.

I'm not a huge fan of how these situations have been handled- I want these guys playing as badly as you do- but I have no way of knowing if they could have been handled better. Why? Because Maturi is not allowed to comment on the specifics of his decisions while these deals are pending. If he did he'd be toast. So all this conjecture about how Maturi screwed up this or that is simply that- conjecture. We have no way of understanding the full situation and we probably never will.

I can't think of a single REPUTABLE school that would allow a player with a pending, unresolved Felony Assault charge to play sports, can you?

I think many schools would have "batted an eye" about conviction on theft of property from Mall of America (et al).

I can't think of a single REPUTABLE school that would allow a player with a pending, unresolved Felony Assault charge to play sports, can you?
Yes, I can. UCLA, this past year (which is arguably a more "reputable" school than the U).

And it's actually almost identical; basketball player accused of felony assault. Re-instated by the administration/team before a decision was rendered by the courts because they believed the player, and felt the accusations were baseless:

In Dragovic's case, Howland met with Athletic Director Dan Guerrero to discuss the options.

"While Nikola has been charged, nothing has yet been proven," Guerrero said in an e-mail to The Times. "We will continue to monitor the legal proceedings closely and, of course, reserve the right to impose additional sanctions should the situation merit them."

The charges ended up being dropped by the way.

Yes, I can. UCLA, this past year (which is arguably a more "reputable" school than the U).

And it's actually almost identical; basketball player accused of felony assault. Re-instated by the administration/team before a decision was rendered by the courts because they believed the player, and felt the accusations were baseless:

In Dragovic's case, Howland met with Athletic Director Dan Guerrero to discuss the options.

"While Nikola has been charged, nothing has yet been proven," Guerrero said in an e-mail to The Times. "We will continue to monitor the legal proceedings closely and, of course, reserve the right to impose additional sanctions should the situation merit them."

The charges ended up being dropped by the way.

Didn't turn out so well for UCLA http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=UCLA last season.

It appears the California legal system moved faster than Florida does.

Didn't turn out so well for UCLA http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=UCLA last season.
Their season record really has nothing do with how administration approaches an individual player's legal situation.

But valiant effort to save face :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that this thing has popped up before, and reputable university's seem to take everything into account, sometimes even re-instating the player if they feel the accusations are baseless.

The bottom line is that this thing has popped up before, and reputable university's seem to take everything into account, sometimes even re-instating the player if they feel the accusations are baseless.

Yes, and maybe in Mbakwe's case it is felt that the accusations have some base to them. It's a tough call. Back when he did it, I wonder if Maturi had ever imagined that the defense would drag it out this long. Trevor's claim notwithstanding, there is enough reason for Maturi to be cautious. Might be unfair, but it is what it is and he has been on scholarship-not a small benefit. The U's basketball program, hands down, has led the Big Ten in scandals and embarrassments since the 70's, even though Michigan and Iowa have had their share. That's the part of the equation I think people keep overlooking when criticizing the administration. We don't need any more.

Whoa, I should have paid better attention to my high school english when she was talking about proof reading. The batting an eye lash was directed towards Royce and not Trevor as a felony is a felony.

As far as Royce is concerned the length of his suspension was not do to his MOA incident, that was only supposed to be 5-10 games. The length of his suspension was due to the drawn out investigation by the UMPD for what turned out to be misdemeanor trespassing.

My point for Trevor's situation is how can Maturi come out now and say he will reinstate Mbakwe now if there is any new information concerning his case. There isn't going to be ground breaking new evidence over a year after the incident. The evidence is there and has been there for quite some time. What has changed between now and the beginning of the suspension? The only thing that I can think of is Trevor saying he is transferring. As I stated before it appears that Maturi is just trying to give Trevor a false sense of hope that he will be able to play this year in order to keep him around.

Its quite possible that Maturi is becoming the scapegoat for all of this stuff but the inconsistency of his decision making makes him a good target.

Their season record really has nothing do with how administration approaches an individual player's legal situation.

But valiant effort to save face :rolleyes:

I believe Mbakwe is accused of assault on a woman. Any examples like that where player(s) are allowed to play with a pending felony charge?

The UCLA guy was accused of a barroom fight. Easy to see why that charge got dropped.

Whoa, I should have paid better attention to my high school english when she was talking about proof reading. The batting an eye lash was directed towards Royce and not Trevor as a felony is a felony.

As far as Royce is concerned the length of his suspension was not do to his MOA incident, that was only supposed to be 5-10 games. The length of his suspension was due to the drawn out investigation by the UMPD for what turned out to be misdemeanor trespassing.

My point for Trevor's situation is how can Maturi come out now and say he will reinstate Mbakwe now if there is any new information concerning his case. There isn't going to be ground breaking new evidence over a year after the incident. The evidence is there and has been there for quite some time. What has changed between now and the beginning of the suspension? The only thing that I can think of is Trevor saying he is transferring. As I stated before it appears that Maturi is just trying to give Trevor a false sense of hope that he will be able to play this year in order to keep him around.

Its quite possible that Maturi is becoming the scapegoat for all of this stuff but the inconsistency of his decision making makes him a good target.

I think Maturi CAN back-track on the simple argument that being suspended an ENTIRE season while awaiting a trial for something you maintain absolute innocence for is punishment enough. And to suspend him any further, thereby damaging his career beyond anything that is fair would be to in effect punish him for a crime he hasn't been convicted of. Will Maturi backtrack? I doubt it. But he could, and arguably he should. Unless Trevor/his attorney are blatantly causing the delays on purpose, it would seem only fair. I think you would be hard-pressed to come up with another example of a player being suspended for more then an entire season without ever being convicted of doing anything wrong.

I keep having to remind myself that it was the University Police Department's fault that Royce was going into rooms that Royce had no reason to be going into, a little over a week from a prior arrest. Perhaps when he went into the room where the gal was sleeping and the laptop was taken, perhaps Royce thought there was a surprise party going to start any minute. That would explain how quiet the dorm room was! The girl sleeping just wasn't told about it. Like wise it was the Police Departments fault that Royce refused Tubby's request to get rid of the cling ons he is hanging around with. There is a saying in life that one will be judged by the company you keep. It is obvious how Royce will be judged with friends like you. Royce is gone and I couldn't be happier.

First, allowing Trevor to play now with a pending felony, when that's the reason for the suspension in the first place, would be like telling grounding a kid because his room isn't clean then letting him off a week later when his room was still a mess but "he served his time".
Second, I never once stated that what royce wasn't his fault. He was in a place that he shouldn't have been. However, the snail's at which the UMPD operated is the main reason for the delay. I don't see how that is even a question, that if the UMPD conducts a timely investigatin, this in turn allows maturi and tubby to make a decision sooner.
Don't put words in my mouth I did not excuse Royce's action or pawn responsibility for his actions off on another person or organization.

First, allowing Trevor to play now with a pending felony, when that's the reason for the suspension in the first place, would be like telling grounding a kid because his room isn't clean then letting him off a week later when his room was still a mess but "he served his time".
Second, I never once stated that what royce wasn't his fault. He was in a place that he shouldn't have been. However, the snail's at which the UMPD operated is the main reason for the delay. I don't see how that is even a question, that if the UMPD conducts a timely investigatin, this in turn allows maturi and tubby to make a decision sooner.
Don't put words in my mouth I did not excuse Royce's action or pawn responsibility for his actions off on another person or organization.

A child can choose to clean his room at any time, Trevor cannot start his trial, with multiple people and the legal system, at his own whim.

Royce could have cooperated with police, and I am sure the police would have moved the case along a little faster.

I leave this up to Maturi, and I will be fine with whatever he decides. The argument can cut both ways. A large part, to me, is how Trevor is handling the situation behind the scenes. Trevor ought to explore his options.

Top Bottom