FCS Championship Game

I think the point afurry is trying to make is that NDSU fans claim they beat the Big 12 champs. But the reality is, they played Kansas State the following year, with a completely different team, without by far their best player, and a new guy at QB. That is a completely different team.

They were 26th in the coaches poll. You could at least attempt to come up with an argument for a better team they beat. There is no doubt that the national championships were important games, but he felt that Kansas State was the toughest test they had faced.

We have no idea who the best team they've beaten is. Kansas State had a solid regular season, but anyone who watched them at the beginning of the year and the end of the year knew that K-State was much improved over the course of the season. Illinois State might have beaten that Kansas State team in week 1. We don't know. We do know that they weren't the Kansas State of 2012 which is what I'm sure prompted his teary eyed comment.

But I do know that Kansas State wasn't their best moment in program history. It was the title games. If he was happier after Kansas State than he was after winning back to back titles, then I feel sorry that he has such an inferiority complex.

Do you think Appalachian State claims Michigan as their proudest moment in program history? No, it's their back to back to back national titles.

I think the point afurry is trying to make is that NDSU fans claim they beat the Big 12 champs. But the reality is, they played Kansas State the following year, with a completely different team, without by far their best player, and a new guy at QB. That is a completely different team.
Sure, they're not the big 12 champs, but it wasn't a completely different team and the new guy at QB has turned out to be pretty good. They didn't lose a conference game by more than 10 and they destroyed a ranked team on the road.

We have no idea who the best team they've beaten is. Kansas State had a solid regular season, but anyone who watched them at the beginning of the year and the end of the year knew that K-State was much improved over the course of the season. Illinois State might have beaten that Kansas State team in week 1. We don't know. We do know that they weren't the Kansas State of 2012 which is what I'm sure prompted his teary eyed comment.

But I do know that Kansas State wasn't their best moment in program history. It was the title games. If he was happier after Kansas State than he was after winning back to back titles, then I feel sorry that he has such an inferiority complex.

Do you think Appalachian State claims Michigan as their proudest moment in program history? No, it's their back to back to back national titles.
Who doesn't love to embrace the underdog role? In other threads we've talked about how NDSU should be realistic about their chances to excel at the FBS level given the nature of not being big enough to be invited to a big conference etc... It's not that beating Kansas State on the road is the highest the program should ever shoot for, it's that it meant a lot to beat a P5 team who was favored by 11 points.

Sure, they're not the big 12 champs, but it wasn't a completely different team and the new guy at QB has turned out to be pretty good. They didn't lose a conference game by more than 10 and they destroyed a ranked team on the road.

Ya, Texas Tech. Congrats. "Ranked." The team that lost their last 5 games by a combined score of 243-140.

Ya, Texas Tech. Congrats. "Ranked." The team that lost their last 5 games by a combined score of 243-140.
by the Massey ratings Kansas State ended the year ranked #21. http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2013&sub=11590 Their FCS title game foe Towson was #63. #21 is not middling. I doubt you could find any other NDSU win higher than #40.

a little emotion, a little hyperbole, but he might not have been completely wrong.

by the Massey ratings Kansas State ended the year ranked #21. http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2013&sub=11590 Their FCS title game foe Towson was #63. #21 is not middling. I doubt you could find any other NDSU win higher than #40.

a little emotion, a little hyperbole, but he might not have been completely wrong.

I'm not going to give the time of day to a rating system that has NDSU ranked higher than Ohio State.

The only thing I took away from this post is that you aren't very observant in the world of cfb. What makes it even more amusing is that you actually take the time and go out of your way to post on a college football forum, but cannot appreciate anything less than 1 tier of football.

I appreciate NDSU's accomplishment for what it is: a minor league title. Sorry, but until you play with the big boys week in and week out, you can't claim that you are one. I was actually probably giving NDSU too much credit in calling them Triple-A; that should really belong to the MAC, Conference USA and Sun Belt. Once the Power 5 conferences become their own division, as could happen by the end of the decade, that would officially knock everyone else down a notch. Of course, you would think that NDSU would want to prove themselves at a higher level, just as virtually every other program to dominate 1-AA in the past has.

Just because it isn't watched by 50 million people doesn't make it any less of a title game. I'd be willing to bet that the U wouldn't have made it through to the championship game in the FCS. The top 15 teams could compete with anyone on any given saturday. Like it or not, it's a da** hard feat.

LOL. I'll just use your line: "The only thing I took away from this post is that you aren't very observant in the world of cfb."

I appreciate NDSU's accomplishment for what it is: a minor league title. Sorry, but until you play with the big boys week in and week out, you can't claim that you are one. I was actually probably giving NDSU too much credit in calling them Triple-A; that should really belong to the MAC, Conference USA and Sun Belt. Once the Power 5 conferences become their own division, as could happen by the end of the decade, that would officially knock everyone else down a notch. Of course, you would think that NDSU would want to prove themselves at a higher level, just as virtually every other program to dominate 1-AA in the past has.

LOL. I'll just use your line: "The only thing I took away from this post is that you aren't very observant in the world of cfb."

I'll 2nd you on the bold, Jike. Make me wonder if he watches anything outside of FCS/NDSU football.

I'm not going to give the time of day to a rating system that has NDSU ranked higher than Ohio State.
No time of day for underdogs or computers!! :D

Obviously it's going to be more accurate for the FBS teams who play a consistent FBS schedule. So really Kansas State was #20.

NDSU was lucky to catch every FBS team they've played at the right time. The wins against the Gophers literally came during, what I believe by record were, 2 of the worst 3 seasons in Minnesota's history, while they were considered some of the greatest seasons in NDSU's history. Kansas was awful the year NDSU played them: 3-9, 1-7 in conference play. Kansas State started the season 2-4 before finally figuring it out. NDSU caught them at the right time because they were bad at the beginning of the season when they were still figuring things out with a new QB and such. The Iowa State game...well, Iowa State flat out sucked.

NDSU wasn't that good this year (compared to the past couple years). You could see it just by watching their games. If they played Minnesota 10 times this year I'm 100% confident in saying Minnesota would've beaten them 3+ touchdowns 8 times out of 10 (minus garbage time points for NDSU). Minnesota is far better than NDSU now, their coach knows it and straight up said it on PA's show.

For any Gopher fans that even slightly think this Minnesota team would lose to NDSU, I'm speechless. This team had 5 losses and 4 of them were to teams in the top 14 in the final AP poll. They had a chance to win against 3 of those 4 teams. NDSU isn't even close to Minnesota this year and won't be any time in the near future. Those days are gone.

Top Bottom