FCS Championship Game

That was a fun game to watch, and congratulations to the Minnesota kids. Someone please tell me why we didn't have a wide receiver this year who adjusted to the ball and caught it as cleanly as the freshman WR from NDSU.

A lot of those kids would turn out to be good enough to wear Maroon and Gold. They get lost in rural MN, where nobody pays attention. Then they go on to dominate at the lower levels.

That was a fun game to watch, and congratulations to the Minnesota kids. Someone please tell me why we didn't have a wide receiver this year who adjusted to the ball and caught it as cleanly as the freshman WR from NDSU.

A lot of those kids would turn out to be good enough to wear Maroon and Gold. They get lost in rural MN, where nobody pays attention. Then they go on to dominate at the lower levels.

It helps when the defender falls down.

Another great year for NDSU. Congrats to them.

It helps when the defender falls down.

Another great year for NDSU. Congrats to them.

The defender didn't fall down on all 3 of those grabs on the last drive. All three were good routes/adjustments/grabs. We haven't had a receiver make 3 catches like that in one drive since the likes of Decker.

The defender didn't fall down on all 3 of those grabs on the last drive. All three were good routes/adjustments/grabs. We haven't had a receiver make 3 catches like that in one drive since the likes of Decker.

What adjustment was made on the first catch? The ball hit him in stride.

My point was that on the play to get down to the 5 yard line, the defender fell down which made the adjustment/catch easier. Still a good play though.

Can't catch me if you don't throw them !

Ummm... how about starting with safety help?

Or is your defensive knowledge limited to deep zone, cover 2, and straight man?

You said you didn't want deep zones.
So you wanted 2 man under?

That'd be a version of cover two. And that'd be a deep zone

I guess I didn't want a four deep keep everything in front of you, nor a man defense with no safety help. Or teach your safeties the other team needs a touchdown to win, their tendency isn't going to be to run

Yeah, Illinois State was getting zero pressure only rushing 4 guys so they decided to go with an all out blitz. I thought they should've done something in the middle, maybe send 6 guys and keep somebody deep.

And to run it 2 times in a row?? idiotic

The 6 best Minnesota players for the Bison during this run came from within 20 miles of TFC stadium; probably in order of how good the kids ended up being: Mounds View, Hopkins, Totino Grace, Rosemount, Wayzata, MSP North. We could have used 4 of them 2 didn't have the grades. This was from the Brewster era Kill probably offers a couple and gets a couple to walk on.

I hate to admit this - but as NDSU marched down the field in less than a minute to score the game-winning TD, I found myself asking this question - how long before a thread pops up on Gopher Hole proclaiming that "Leidner could never have led a comeback like the NDSU QB."

I hate to admit this - but as NDSU marched down the field in less than a minute to score the game-winning TD, I found myself asking this question - how long before a thread pops up on Gopher Hole proclaiming that "Leidner could never have led a comeback like the NDSU QB."

Wentz is better than Leidner :)

Impressive run for the bison. Congrats to them. Like I told my most level-headed friend who is a Bison fan, I hold out and cheer for your minimum 8-peat. :cool:

RB from Totino didn't have the grades at NDSU either. It took 2 years to gain eligibility. The school decided it was worth the wait.

Bob Nielson and Western Illinois lost to both of these teams by one score this year late in the game. Interested to see how Nielson does in these next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Nielson and Western Illinois lost to both of these teams by one score this year late in the game. Interested to see how Nielson does in these next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nielsen will have WIU competing for an FCS title soon. As a Duluthian, I loved having him at UMD. What he did here was amazing. Going from a sub .500 team the year before he returned (took four year absence to be AD) to a national title in his first year after returning (with 10 less scholarships than others in D2) has to be one of the best turnarounds at any level in football.

While I like Jerry Kill, I'd be very interested to see what Nielsen would have done here. That being said, I hope Kill is here a long time.

The 6 best Minnesota players for the Bison during this run came from within 20 miles of TFC stadium; probably in order of how good the kids ended up being: Mounds View, Hopkins, Totino Grace, Rosemount, Wayzata, MSP North. We could have used 4 of them 2 didn't have the grades. This was from the Brewster era Kill probably offers a couple and gets a couple to walk on.

Of course there is no way to ever really know.

No matter who our coach is, there will always be players from our backyard that we "miss".

Love NDSU and I bet they have few players turning pro after their sophomore seasons. Congrats to them on a Bierman-level national championship run.

We'd never know, because it the Gophers were playing Illinois State, the Gophers wouldn't need a comeback to win.

That entire situation confused me. They throw a personal foul flag, but then pick it up after they realize the fans are storming the field.

Must have been on the redbirds, or they didn't want to deal with getting everyone off the field.

I think they realized the time was out and game over. Dead ball so it would not have mattered either way..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Winning the Popeye's Bahamas Bowl > winning the 1-AA title in a soccer stadium.

^This. The irony is, that in winning (now) 4 titles in their lower division, they are diminishing the impact with each subsequent one. To me, they are unwittingly but inevitably making the case that it isn't all that difficult. As I tell my buddy, who graduated from the U, but has a son attending NDSU, a single unsuccessful attempt to scale Everest trumps 100 successful climbs of Mt. Shasta.

^This. The irony is, that in winning (now) 4 titles in their lower division, they are diminishing the impact with each subsequent one. To me, they are unwittingly but inevitably making the case that it isn't all that difficult. As I tell my buddy, who graduated from the U, but has a son attending NDSU, a single unsuccessful attempt to scale Everest trumps 100 successful climbs of Mt. Shasta.

This is a fantastic quote.

The really interesting part to me in all this was what they said about Roberson yesterday in that Illinois State was at least a year away from contending, but by adding one middling B10 QB (Roberson) they immediately became a National Title contender. That to me says a lot about the state of the FCS right now.

Top Bottom