FB rant from a long-time fan

I used to love when the band would start singing along with the drums at about the 40 second mark of the MN March. I haven't heard this at Williams in a while.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=relmfu&v=Dwxzvtv_9N4

We still do that, but it's hard to hear it over the drums, plus I think some of the horns are still playing at that part, the tubas and maybe a few others. I also just think some people in the band don't like singing, and so either don't sing loudly or don't sing at all.

If you think the game atmosphere itself is sucky, how about the new conference? Maryland? Rutgers? BC, Ga Tech, Virginia all mentioned as other possibilities? wtf, the B1G has an identity. We are a MIDWESTERN conference. Power football. 3 Yards & a cloud of dust. Now we sell out our tradition for ratings/new viewer strongholds on the East Coast for the B1G network? Why not add UCLA, UTEP & the U of Barcelona? It's all about expanding our TV network now. If tradition & geographic identity don't mean anything anymore, then why not just watch the pros?

I would be fine with the band not being there. I couldnt care less if the 60+ year old fans love the band, kids don't. It is very "high school" in my opinion. No recruit is going to say how cool the band is. If getting rid of the band and playing more rap music (which takes more skill then country noise) to get kids excited and to make the U "cool" I'm all about it. I only care about making the U popular among the youth so they dream about going to college here as well as playing here

I'm really curious what you're going to say when you are are 40+, 50+ or 60+ and the 'music' of the day is not to your liking................will it be all what you like or some of each?

I know some day you'll see
The world is all about me.
I'm so much smarter than most
And I really like to boast.
Gone are the days of people being square
It's time for the old jerks to be fair.
Them say that I'm a snitch
But those oldies just like to bitch.
^^^^^^The above took a lot of skill^^^^

Then spring became the summer
Good times never seemed so good
................Sweet GopherHole...:)
:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

There was this one called "My Squad" by a guy named St. Paul Slim, it was about Gopher football, and at the beginning it featured a sound clip of Brewster giving a pre-game speech to the team before playing Wisconsin, but I can't find it anywhere.

There was also this song they played at non-conference basketball games this season called "Gopher Style" or something, it was basically a remix sort of thing of "Gangnam Style," I'm not sure if they still play it, last night was the first game I had been to since we played North Dakota State I think, and I didn't hear it.

Relatively sure you're referring to this...
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_3613981
Best lyric might be... Gopher is in the spot... Let's get that chili hot.

I'm really curious what you're going to say when you are are 40+, 50+ or 60+ and the 'music' of the day is not to your liking................will it be all what you like or some of each?

I know some day you'll see
The world is all about me.
I'm so much smarter than most
And I really like to boast.
Gone are the days of people being square
It's time for the old jerks to be fair.
Them say that I'm a snitch
But those oldies just like to bitch.
^^^^^^The above took a lot of skill^^^^

Then spring became the summer
Good times never seemed so good
................Sweet GopherHole...:)
:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

I'm going to say the band, the music, etc doesn't matter to me. I want the U to be something kids are excited about. It's not about the things I want it's all about attracting new recruits and students. I'm in the minority because I go to the events to watch the games not the band and cheerleaders and I'm not selfish and stubborn to demand traditions to continue when kids think the traditions at the U are to get smashed by everyone in the big ten. I want the U to be exciting you want the U to be stuck in the 50's

Your poem looks like the first verse of a country song...is that Alan Jackson?

"Check check one two one two...It's game time...it's game time" does not scream excitement.

"Check check one two one two...It's game time...it's game time" does not scream excitement.

Put it this way - the "game time" rap has become the brunt of jokes in the community. That said, I think we'd miss it if they eliminated it because it gives us a good laugh now.

Don't get me wrong; I've got nothing against pop music. But I carry 10 GB of it with me and can listen to it any time. What I can't get any time is a live collegiate band and a national champion dance squad, so I appreciate them when they're in front of me. To have those things and not fully utilize them during games, it just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm going to say the band, the music, etc doesn't matter to me. I want the U to be something kids are excited about. It's not about the things I want it's all about attracting new recruits and students. I'm in the minority because I go to the events to watch the games not the band and cheerleaders and I'm not selfish and stubborn to demand traditions to continue when kids think the traditions at the U are to get smashed by everyone in the big ten. I want the U to be exciting you want the U to be stuck in the 50's

Appreciate the honesty.

BTW I can't stand country and I have no idea who Alan Jackson is.:)

Are you saying I don't have a future as a rapper?:)

Top Bottom