FB rant from a long-time fan

Are the in-game promos and piped in music(vs the pep band) really more 'relevant in the eyes of our younger viewers'?

Should much of the music change over the years? Of course.

Younger viewers don't give a damn about the marching band, they think they are nerds. They want to hear Kanye West and the like pumping their "power trip" music that makes the players look cool

T Shirt tosses, who stands up? Kids, students, young adults looking for a freebie

Who pays for those t shirts? Businesses who want to support the U.

And Bruce

I might have mis understood your argument, but are you trying to draw a correlation to the decline in viewers is due to a lack of band music during timeouts and the inclusion of T shirt tosses?

If so, wow.

Younger viewers don't give a damn about the marching band, they think they are nerds. They want to hear Kanye West and the like pumping their "power trip" music that makes the players look cool

T Shirt tosses, who stands up? Kids, students, young adults looking for a freebie

And Bruce

I might have mis understood your argument, but are you trying to draw a correlation to the decline in viewers is due to a lack of band music during timeouts and the inclusion of T shirt tosses?

If so, wow.

Is it time to get rid of the band?

Does the Kiss Cam really do anything for anybody? If they really want to make things interesting, two words: grope cam!

Does the Kiss Cam really do anything for anybody? If they really want to make things interesting, two words: grope cam!

My wife loves watching that.

And station, no the band is still relevant but they aren't the whole entertainment package anymore ....

And Bruce

If so, wow.

By "viewers", I assume you mean "people at the game" rather than "people sitting at home".

No. No correlation between the "time out entertainment" and attendance.

I *am* saying there is a direct correlation between "time out entertainment" and atmosphere though.

Throbbing music, imaginary races, advertisements and those gay little games all bore the poop out of me. As a result, I have 3-starred many a level of Angry Birds during timeouts at Williams Arena.

By "viewers", I assume you mean "people at the game" rather than "people sitting at home".

No. No correlation between the "time out entertainment" and attendance.

I *am* saying there is a direct correlation between "time out entertainment" and atmosphere though.

I still think the atmosphere is largely affected by the game. I thought the Michigan St. game was electric, and that had to do with a) it being a big game against two good teams and b) the Gophers played well and won.

You're probably right that those things do affect the atmosphere of the arena but I think it's extremely small compared to the game.

I don't make it to many games at the Barn (season football holder, try to attend as many hockey games a year as I can, and try to make at least one bball game), but at all three venues I feel a lot more engaged when the band is playing and I am watching live music. When the other crap goes on, I am frequently talking work with my buddy and feeling my energy level drop.

Throbbing music, imaginary races, advertisements and those gay little games all bore the poop out of me. As a result, I have 3-starred many a level of Angry Birds during timeouts at Williams Arena.

I always thought the little games were asexual.

You should try intelligent conversation with people in your section. It works. I know. It's available.

You should try intelligent conversation with people in your section. It works. I know. It's available.

Ya, and it's too bad the intelligent people in your section didn't feel the same way about you. :)

I have to say, I agree with the dude. One of the reason the fan atmosphere isn't quite as good as it used to be is that the constant interruptions to do commercials gets irritating. We used to hear "Vehicle," "Malaguena," "Superstition," "Jungle Boogie" and all that stuff on a regular basis. Now it's a once in awhile treat.

I'm in the pep band at men's basketball games and I think we play "Jungle Boogie" at most games, "Superstition" from time to time, couldn't remember the last time we played "Malaguena" before last night, and I don't think I have anything called "Vehicle" in my pep band folder. If you're more into some of the classic rock that we play instead of hearing Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga, we did play "Any Way You Want It" and "25 or 6 to 4" last night.

Are the in-game promos and piped in music(vs the pep band) really more 'relevant in the eyes of our younger viewers'?

Should much of the music change over the years? Of course.

I think one thing that might make piped in music more appealing than having the band play is the large amount of rap and hip-hop that is played at sporting events today. I don't mean to dis on the genre as I listen to a fair amount of it myself, but rap and hip-hop are not very melodic musical styles, basically just a repetitive beat in the background while someone talks rhythmically over the top of it, and people remember the songs more for their lyrics than their melodic lines, so rap doesn't translate well to a pep band, and is probably better off being piped in. The closest thing I can find to that sort of thing that we actually play is "Gangnam Style," which I personally don't think sounds very good as a pep band arrangement because it isn't very melodic.

Basically, if rap is more relevant to younger fans, and the people who decide what music is played choose to have more rap and hip-hop at games, it's not going to be the pep band playing it, and so having it piped in is the solution there.

No piped in music. Keep the band, play the Rouser, play the Minnesota March, play the Go Gopher Victory. Three all time classics.

That is as good as its gets. If you don't know the last two, google the song and you will instantly recognize them.

Ok old guy post number 2.......forgot one more the band used to play quite often that you never hear anymore....."Our Minnesota" was great too. Ok no one cares, I know. Go Gophers!

I think one thing that might make piped in music more appealing than having the band play is the large amount of rap and hip-hop that is played at sporting events today. I don't mean to dis on the genre as I listen to a fair amount of it myself, but rap and hip-hop are not very melodic musical styles, basically just a repetitive beat in the background while someone talks rhythmically over the top of it, and people remember the songs more for their lyrics than their melodic lines, so rap doesn't translate well to a pep band, and is probably better off being piped in. The closest thing I can find to that sort of thing that we actually play is "Gangnam Style," which I personally don't think sounds very good as a pep band arrangement because it isn't very melodic.

Basically, if rap is more relevant to younger fans, and the people who decide what music is played choose to have more rap and hip-hop at games, it's not going to be the pep band playing it, and so having it piped in is the solution there.

Thanks for the input. As you would probably guess I am not a fan of rap and hip-hop and do not consider them music.

Are there any official rap or hip-hop tunes of the University of Minnesota?

Thanks for the input. As you would probably guess I am not a fan of rap and hip-hop and do not consider them music.

There was this one called "My Squad" by a guy named St. Paul Slim, it was about Gopher football, and at the beginning it featured a sound clip of Brewster giving a pre-game speech to the team before playing Wisconsin, but I can't find it anywhere.

There was also this song they played at non-conference basketball games this season called "Gopher Style" or something, it was basically a remix sort of thing of "Gangnam Style," I'm not sure if they still play it, last night was the first game I had been to since we played North Dakota State I think, and I didn't hear it.

And 25 or 6 to 4??? Really. That is a mood killer.

There was this one called "My Squad" by a guy named St. Paul Slim, it was about Gopher football, and at the beginning it featured a sound clip of Brewster giving a pre-game speech to the team before playing Wisconsin, but I can't find it anywhere.

There was also this song they played at non-conference basketball games this season called "Gopher Style" or something, it was basically a remix sort of thing of "Gangnam Style," I'm not sure if they still play it, last night was the first game I had been to since we played North Dakota State I think, and I didn't hear it.

I'm guessing these are not official songs of the University though, correct?

I would be fine with the band not being there. I couldnt care less if the 60+ year old fans love the band, kids don't. It is very "high school" in my opinion. No recruit is going to say how cool the band is. If getting rid of the band and playing more rap music (which takes more skill then country noise) to get kids excited and to make the U "cool" I'm all about it. I only care about making the U popular among the youth so they dream about going to college here as well as playing here

I would be fine with the band not being there. I could care less if the 60+ year old fans love the band, kids don't. It is very "high school" in my opinion. No recruit is going to say how cool the band is. If getting rid of the band and playing more rap music (which takes more skill then country noise) to get kids excited and to make the U "cool" I'm all about it. I only care about making the U popular among the youth so they dream about going to college here as well as playing here

I COULDN'T CARE LESS!!! I COULDN'T CARE LESS!!! Unless you really could care less.

Sure! Get on it now Dawg...THUMPA, THUMPA...THUMPA,THUMPA...

Basketball is my favorite sport
I like the way they dribble up and down the court
Just like I'm the king on the microphone, so is Dr. J and Moses Malone
I like slam dunks, take me to the hoop
My favorite play is the alley-oop
I like the pick-and-roll, I like the give-and-go
Cause it's basketball, uh, Mister Goldy Go-pho

I get the ball and then I go and play
Like a superstar in the NC2A
The forwards, the centers, and all the guards
The ones you see on the bubblegum cards
Me and homeboy would go one-on-one
Cause playing the game is a lot of fun
Sit by the TV and watch 'em all
Cause Goldy is rapping basketball

Dat it!

And 25 or 6 to 4??? Really. That is a mood killer.

Well, we played it before the game had started, and it might have been only the first or second time we've played it at a game this season. I personally like it because it's fun to play, I don't see how it's a mood killer.

I'm guessing these are not official songs of the University though, correct?

I guess not, not in the way that the Rouser, Minnesota Fight, and Go Gopher Victory are.

Top Bottom