Fantasy Sports Talk

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Not sure if I'll get much interaction with this thread but thought I'd give it a try.

Anyone else doing fantasy baseball? I'm in a very fun keeper league. Very active league with lots of trades already even before the draft. I'm enjoying fantasy baseball a lot more than football right now.

We do a +2 format for keepers. You can keep 4 players and it costs you +2 rounds from where they were drafted they year before (draft a guy in the 10th round, it costs you an 8th round pick to keep the next year).

My keepers will probably be:
Luis Castillo 5th round
Pablo Lopez 11th
Nolan Jones 12th
Elly De La Cruz 15th

I just traded away Devin Williams (13th round keeper). Closers are overvalued in this league IMO. Gonna concentrate on other positions and either look for a few sleepers late or just punt saves all together.

Any specific strategies you guys have been successful with?

I did fantasy baseball for years and loved it so much more than football. Loved getting mlb.tv every year and watching games from 6-12 every night just because you might have that closer come in during a west coast game.

Unfortunately I haven't played in a while now and our league wasn't a keeper league so I wouldn't be of much help right now.

I've never played Fantasy baseball but I'll be here in the Fall begging to give and receive bad advice.

Really glad now I traded Devin Williams as he's out for several months to start the year.

I need some ideas for a "Sacko" award for our Fantasy Football League. Same group of guys for 32 years, we are all now spread out all over the country but it remains a very engaged group even in the off-season. What's a few good ideas for the worst team each year? We haven't done this but it's time, there must be punishment for sucking.

Go Gophers!!

I need some ideas for a "Sacko" award for our Fantasy Football League. Same group of guys for 32 years, we are all now spread out all over the country but it remains a very engaged group even in the off-season. What's a few good ideas for the worst team each year? We haven't done this but it's time, there must be punishment for sucking.

Go Gophers!!
I had seen recently where a guy had to spend 24 hrs straight at a Waffle House. But for each waffle he ate, he could reduce 1 hr.

Another one is the last place owner has to make a donation or volunteer at a nonprofit.

I had seen recently where a guy had to spend 24 hrs straight at a Waffle House. But for each waffle he ate, he could reduce 1 hr.

Another one is the last place owner has to make a donation or volunteer at a nonprofit.

Both good ideas. Our group will gravitate towards the the Waffle House one, we had talked about that. And live stream it.

Go Gophers!!

Both good ideas. Our group will gravitate towards the the Waffle House one, we had talked about that. And live stream it.

Go Gophers!!
Same ten (10) guys since 1991 and we've always had the league loser pay next season's Entry Fee for the Super Bowl winner.

Spending 24 hours at a waffle house would be like a free trip to Disney World for half the guys in our league. 🙂

Go Gophers!!
Just search for unique fantasy football punishments. There's tons of good ideas. I like public humiliation like having to do a set at open mike, or dressing up a blow-up doll and taking her out for a nice dinner.

Go Gophers!!
I consulted the Dan Lebatard/Stugotz/Shipping Container for their Grid of Death punishments and here are a few of my favorites, especially given the various locations of your team owners:

* Drink a full jar of pickle juice
* Go to an outdoor festival with multiple port-a-potties. For one hour, inhabit one of the port a potties, with door unlocked, but closed, with pants or shorts around the ankles, while sitting on the toilet seat (you don't have to be butt ass naked, sitting in your underwear). The door cannot be locked at any point within the hour (unless you actually need to use it for its designed purpose).
* Eat an entire DQ (or equivalent) ice cream cake in one sitting, with minimal melt allowed.
* Wear cat's eye contacts to work for an entire day.
* Watch 12 consecutive hours of ______ (Nicolas Cage movies, Teletubbies, Baby Shark, '40s/50s musicals--whatever is most tortuous for the loser)
* Eat a raw onion like an apple
* Wear David Bowie Ziggy Stardust costume as a Halloween costume to work, but a day before actual Halloween

Last edited:

Fantasy sports shouldn't be about shaming, humiliating, embarrassing people. It's a fun game to play with your buddies and maybe get lucky to win a few bucks.

You guys are sick.
But they're all good fun for 11 of the 12 guys.

Fantasy sports shouldn't be about shaming, humiliating, embarrassing people. It's a fun game to play with your buddies and maybe get lucky to win a few bucks.

You guys are sick.
glad we dont have guys like this in our league. lame.

Way too early FF talk, but Atlanta’s stacking up the offensive weapons for Kirk to play with-young holdovers Bijan Robinson, Drake London and Kyle Pitts being joined by Darnell Mooney and Rondale Moore. All these guys have come into the league with considerable acclaim and been hampered by poor quarterback play-stands to reason that 1 or 2 will break out.

You guys are sick.

My buddies must be much different than your buddies. It’s more about the trash talk and banter than it is about winning a few bucks. Controlled public humiliation will take it to the appropriate next level.

Go Gophers!!

So far my fantasy team hasn't been hurt too much with the injuries. Just Luis Robert but I'm pretty deep at OF.

De La Cruz is such a fantasy stud. If he can find a way to cut down on the strikeouts a bit, look out.

Does anyone else play fantasy baseball? Do you guys use wins, quality starts, or something else for pitching stats?

My starting pitchers have been great so far but I can't get any wins. Kutter Crawford has allowed 1 run in 4 starts, but has no win to show for it.

I really like quality appearances but I'm not sure yahoo even has that as an option.

Top Bottom