Fan Relations Survey

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
Just got my e-mail from Gopher Fan Relations to comment on this season at TCF. Figured it might be a good idea to start a thread to get folks to share their idea in one place. I'm still thinking all mine through and I'd hate to forget something. I think having everyone chime in might job people's minds. Plus, I'm sure it can't hurt to coordinate our message somewhat on topics we agree upon.

Thoughts?

I complained alot last year on the long lines getting into the stadium and I have to give them props for fixing that problem...not one problem all year getting into the stadium.

With them eliminating pat downs, it was a lot quicker getting inside.

#1 problem for me is allowing people to walk down the isles while a play is in progress. Many venues do not allow people walking down the isle while plays are in progress. People should not be allowed to walk down the isle when the team huddles. Much like NHL, MLB, and many NFL venues.

The usual complaints...

1. Fire Dave Lee immediately and replace with Mike Grimm.
2. Dump Aramark and hire any other vendor. The food is horrible, highlighted by the 3-minnows+fries.
3. Band sound was a little better this past year but lose the flutes and oboes and/or change the pit.
4. Scoreboard is overrun by ads. It doesn't run good replays nor does it show stats or scores. It's basically a waste of a massive jumbotron.
5. The piped in music should have remained a relic of the Metrodome. Other than a few fan favorites like Jump on it (Apache), etc.. leave the GNR and AC/DC in the weight room.

Man, I sound like a crusty old codger but I'm really not. Maybe I need to invest in a flask like everyone else and I'll be happier during the game. :D

Satisfying Survey

I have to admit, that was a satisfying survey. They are obviously listening to criticism and querying all fans to get their reaction. Nice Job!

Overall I believe my experience would rate high.

Major criticisms.

Too many audio advertisements during the game.. Seems like every damn break in the action is filled with an embarrassing advertisement. I often look to the visiting fans section and wonder what they are thinking. Seems pretty commercial and embarrassing.

Tailgating - Tailgating near the stadium is far too expensive. If the lots were full, I would not even mention it, but the fact that many of the spaces go unused means that they have priced themselves out of the market and in turn reduce the quality of the atmosphere.

Lastly, I am tired of the crappy music they constantly play when we should be hearing the band. Its not a pro sports event, let the band play.

I only make 2-3 games a year and listen to bits and pieces on the radio. I attend games with a large group of friends, so I really only pay attention to the game itself.

My biggest concerns were:

Congestion in concourses at half-time.
Lines for restrooms.
Discipline of team (Celebrating ordinary plays)
Dave Lee not being able to paint a picture.

Overall I thought the survey was well thought out.

I torched Dave Lee.

Other less forceful suggestions included making the band louder, improving concessions and more replays. Also gave lots of credit where due including stadium overall, "golden gopher memories" video clips and improvement getting into the stadium this year.

My biggest complaint is the sun never shines on my seat. Ask Joel if he can do something about that.

I think this is a good move, and I think they finally realize that they are going to lose a lot of season ticket holders if they don't start appreciating their loyal fans.

It's a well done survey. For some reason, if you don't receive it, here you go:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KHJLNVV

Be sure to check the box that you get your Gopher info online at GopherHole.com too!

I hope several people make comments about Aramark. Being in the band, I've never had the food at TCF itself, but at basketball and hockey games (where Aramark is in charge too, I believe) it's absolutely horrific. I've never had worse stadium food. Palermos is some of the worst pizza I have ever had, anywhere. What's wrong with Dominos? Give me ANYTHING.

Hate to compliment Wisconsin, but the way they handle their advertisements during the game is fantastic. When I made the trip this year I wasn't actively annoyed by any of the stuff they did the way I am at Gopher games.

Hope multiple people also note the scoreboard advertisements mentioned above. Fine that you flash those from time to time, but make replays the ENTIRE scoreboard. Even if they display ads the entire game, take them off and do full screen replays. Such a joke, and as was mentioned earlier, a waste of an enormous jumbo-tron.

I hope several people make comments about Aramark. Being in the band, I've never had the food at TCF itself, but at basketball and hockey games (where Aramark is in charge too, I believe) it's absolutely horrific. I've never had worse stadium food. Palermos is some of the worst pizza I have ever had, anywhere. What's wrong with Dominos? Give me ANYTHING.

Hate to compliment Wisconsin, but the way they handle their advertisements during the game is fantastic. When I made the trip this year I wasn't actively annoyed by any of the stuff they did the way I am at Gopher games.

Hope multiple people also note the scoreboard advertisements mentioned above. Fine that you flash those from time to time, but make replays the ENTIRE scoreboard. Even if they display ads the entire game, take them off and do full screen replays. Such a joke, and as was mentioned earlier, a waste of an enormous jumbo-tron.

I brought up all of those things - when they asked for just one thing to improve, I couldn't do it!

They are losing a boatload of money by having such horrible food, and long lines. If you had more efficient lines, and tons of kiosks, you can serve a lot more customers. They're already losing all the money on booze, can they afford to do that for food too.

Tailgating and parking was also huge. You have to make it doable for the average fan. We're lucky to have a friend who lets us tailgate with him in the Ski U Mah lot, but that means he has to bring everything, we have one car there, and there are a ton of empty spots. Most people don't have an extra $1000 to drop, on top of ticket prices, travel, etc. - you're going to have a lot better gameday experience if people have fun, then it's not as much about the wins and losses. I would not have frozen my butt off for the Iowa game had it not been for our awesome tailgate..well, I probably would have, but most people won't, hence, the small crowd and amounts of Iowa fans.

If they want to make TCF have a truly college football-like atmosphere they have to bite the bullet and cut down severely on the cost of the tailgating lots. They price themselves out of a good atmosphere when it's only the super wealthy that are able to do it. Cut the prices until the Gophs get better, and once the demand comes back, go ahead and raise the prices back up. You can't go ten feet in Wisconsin without hitting a tailgate party. Even in the beginning of the year when optimism is high you're seeing half empty lots. Unacceptable.

My only real complaint was with the band pre-game. I love the band pre-game, it gets you stoked up. Last year they played after the Victory Walk which is 2 hours b4 game time. I don't mind going to the Victory Walk but I've got a long drive to get there 2 hours early, especially if it's an 11 a.m. game. We only made one this year.

The year before the band pregame was 1 hour before and we never missed a one.

No beer beer beer-I don't want a Vikings game experience!

If they want to make TCF have a truly college football-like atmosphere they have to bite the bullet and cut down severely on the cost of the tailgating lots. They price themselves out of a good atmosphere when it's only the super wealthy that are able to do it. Cut the prices until the Gophs get better, and once the demand comes back, go ahead and raise the prices back up. You can't go ten feet in Wisconsin without hitting a tailgate party. Even in the beginning of the year when optimism is high you're seeing half empty lots. Unacceptable.

:LOUD CLAPPING:

Am I on the only one that doesn't mind the piped in music?

My favorite part of the game (outside of the actual game) is in-between the 3rd and 4th quarter. They have a music mix of Kernkoft, a random song, jump on it, and the kernkoft again. It seems like it gets the entire stadium up off of their feet, and it looks cool when the entire student section is jumping up and down.

I love the band and understand the historical context of them, but I don't think they get the crowd into the game as much as music does. Before you all blast me, I love the pregame band, I love when they play the rouser after TDs and big plays, etc. I feel like some of you are pro-band (which is ok), but then that somehow makes you anti music over the loud speakers.

I do wish I could actually hear the band over the loud speakers!!!

Just filled mine out.

I tried to remind them over & over that I wanted Dave Lee fired. I think I put it in 3 other spots for comments in addition to the comments regarding the Gopher radio broadcast.

MNfootballfan: I used to hate piped in music. But it's hard for me to hear the band, so I've actually come to accept it and not mind it. Along those lines, I want a loud, annoying siren when we score a TD, like Oregon & Washington. I want it really loud, really annoying, and upsetting to all those not cheering for the Gophers. I want the people in St. Anthony walking Schotzie, their fluffy poodle, to be alarmed when they hear it.

I also commented that Palermo's is the worst pizza I've had in my life. It's awful, a small serving size, and it's expensive. Not a great combonation. The rest of my concession experiences weren't bad this year, but something has to be done with the pizza situation.

Tailgating: Perhaps a few could be lowered in terms of donation to $500 or $750, but I enjoy my $1,000 lot as a lot of rif-raf is kept out. I think most of them are appropriately priced. Would be worth exploring regarding a lower priced one though.

It's the highlight of my year when I can let the U know the hatred towards Dave Lee's sports announcing abilities.

My favorite part of the game (outside of the actual game) is in-between the 3rd and 4th quarter. They have a music mix of Kernkoft, a random song, jump on it, and the kernkoft again. It seems like it gets the entire stadium up off of their feet, and it looks cool when the entire student section is jumping up and down.

I love the band and understand the historical context of them, but I don't think they get the crowd into the game as much as music does. Before you all blast me, I love the pregame band, I love when they play the rouser after TDs and big plays, etc. I feel like some of you are pro-band (which is ok), but then that somehow makes you anti music over the loud speakers.

You clearly don't get it. Give the band a chance to do their cadance and you will see the crowd dance in the aisles. U don't see it because of all the commercialization of the experience. We pay for the band as well as the game. We pay for the atmosphere as well. Repackage how the ads can be done at the stadium. It can be done where both the fans and the sponsors would be happier.

My wife and I chose to have our seats on the visitors side of the field so we could sit in the sunshine. There was several times this year when the crowd started leaving disappointed when people moved into seats near us and commented how much chillier it was on the other side. The sunny side has the disadvantage of having the band facing the other sidelines about 95% of the time. I think that is one of the reasons the band is hard to hear for a lot of the fans who are complaning

Tell CENEX they can run an ad but no more CENEX guy.
Don't kick people out of the stadium unless you actually see them consuming alcohol within the stadium.
No more visiting bands in the stands.
No Jump Around when WI is at TCF.

Just filled mine out.

I tried to remind them over & over that I wanted Dave Lee fired. I think I put it in 3 other spots for comments in addition to the comments regarding the Gopher radio broadcast.

MNfootballfan: I used to hate piped in music. But it's hard for me to hear the band, so I've actually come to accept it and not mind it. Along those lines, I want a loud, annoying siren when we score a TD, like Oregon & Washington. I want it really loud, really annoying, and upsetting to all those not cheering for the Gophers. I want the people in St. Anthony walking Schotzie, their fluffy poodle, to be alarmed when they hear it.I also commented that Palermo's is the worst pizza I've had in my life. It's awful, a small serving size, and it's expensive. Not a great combonation. The rest of my concession experiences weren't bad this year, but something has to be done with the pizza situation.

Tailgating: Perhaps a few could be lowered in terms of donation to $500 or $750, but I enjoy my $1,000 lot as a lot of rif-raf is kept out. I think most of them are appropriately priced. Would be worth exploring regarding a lower priced one though.

It's the highlight of my year when I can let the U know the hatred towards Dave Lee's sports announcing abilities.

That would be awesome!

I wonder if the U actually likes having the tailgating prices so high to keep the numbers down? In the eyes of many at the U, more people equals more garbage, more noise, more problems. I'm telling you, we're dealing with the "no fun" police here.

You clearly don't get it. Give the band a chance to do their cadance and you will see the crowd dance in the aisles. U don't see it because of all the commercialization of the experience. We pay for the band as well as the game. We pay for the atmosphere as well. Repackage how the ads can be done at the stadium. It can be done where both the fans and the sponsors would be happier.

It is my opinion that the band doesn't get the crowd into the game AT TIMES as much as the music does and it is also my opinion that it looks cool when they play music (kernkraft or jump on it) and the entire student section is jumping up and down. I know the crowd gets into the band also, that doesn't mean we should get rid of all the regular non-band music. The commercialization has nothing to do with it. You cannot say I don't get it just because our opinions are different.

I would be upset if they replaced the rouser after Touchdowns or big plays, but at the same time I also enjoy the piped in music. That must mean I don't understand how to watch a football game according to you.

I wonder if the U actually likes having the tailgating prices so high to keep the numbers down? In the eyes of many at the U, more people equals more garbage, more noise, more problems. I'm telling you, we're dealing with the "no fun" police here.

They are profoundly moronic if that's really the case. I hope it's not.

My feedback when I did the survey:

Replace Dave Lee
Cut down on lame promotions (show your TCF card and the Cenex guy)
Have one or two lower price tailgating lots within eyesight of the stadium.

I mentioned tailgaiting too. It was super lame walking down 4th street past lot after half empty lot. I can't do a huge donation to have a spot for the year, but why can't they sell single game spots on game day in those half empty lots? It would bring a better atmosphere before the game and enhance my experience.

My feedback when I did the survey:

Replace Dave Lee
Cut down on lame promotions (show your TCF card and the Cenex guy)
Have one or two lower price tailgating lots within eyesight of the stadium.

Then those lots would be full and the remaining "not lower priced" lots would be completely empty. No Thanks. They need a better system in order to fill all lots.

Top Bottom