Excited for Indiana Game

Rouser

Reaction score
So, I realize that this post and the words contained within will be long forgotten by the time the game is played. Covered over with countless posts about starting Oto or Wally since the season is already lost, etc. Posts about our new coach, etc. However.. I am not going to pass up this opportunity to allow myself to continue my love affair with Gopher Hoops and College Basketball in general. Doesn't mean I'm satisfied with the season thus far, I'm not, but that also doesn't mean I cannot allow myself to enjoy a moment like Tuesday.

Indiana, the number 1 team in the country, is coming to the Barn! Plus, we typically play Indiana well. Sure, we crapped our pants on the road the past two games, but heck, what Clem team didn't do that? I am going to cheer loud. I am hoping for an upset. Why not us? Every #1 team seems to lose. Why not us? The Gophers were playing good ball earlier this year, beat MSU and Illinois, followed by a great near comeback against Indy at their house. Why not us? Sure, the mood is bad, the fans are restless, the team has been off its game. The snow sucks and winter is a drag. But I am pulling for our guys, including Tubby, to right the ship. If they don't, well, things will take care of themsevles after the season. But we have a golden opportunity on Tuesday. Spotlight on the Gophers, a loud arena filled with Gopher fans. Its not often we get the number 1 team in the Barn.. lets enjoy it. Well, I will enjoy it, you are on your own. Sure the outcome could get ugly.. but why choose to have a bowl of wheaties with piss and vinegar?

A couple Hollin's 3's, a cutting dunk by Rodney, the crowd lights up.. game on.

Note- to those about to quote the aforementioned line(s) and reply with a snarky remark about how they suck.. we get it, you've already posted that 1000 times.

Right on Rouser. Lets not let the past few games keep us from cheering for and rooting for the team we love. What happens happens but lets support them.

Fantastic post!!

My Dad still talks about the game with Willie, Coffey, etc. knocking off #1 at The Barn.

We still have a chance to make some memories this year and Tuesday is as good of a time to start as any. Let's enjoy the journey.

Go Gophers!!

Agree. We almost completed the comeback in their house, we should be able to play them as well in our stadium as we did in their's. This is our last regular season chance for a big signature win. If we drop this one but win the last three, it takes us off the bubble, but wouldn't impress anyone enough to greatly improve our seeding. Beating Indiana is the best opportunity we will have before selection Sunday to raise some eyebrows and get the committee to say "ok, these boys can still play."

As to your last point, never one to pass up a chance for a snarky remark, I am not going to choose the wheaties with urine and vinegar, but I will be stuck eating whatever Tubby and his boys feed me. I'm hoping its filet mignon, but it could be the sour wheaties.

So, I realize that this post and the words contained within will be long forgotten by the time the game is played. Covered over with countless posts about starting Oto or Wally since the season is already lost, etc. Posts about our new coach, etc. However.. I am not going to pass up this opportunity to allow myself to continue my love affair with Gopher Hoops and College Basketball in general. Doesn't mean I'm satisfied with the season thus far, I'm not, but that also doesn't mean I cannot allow myself to enjoy a moment like Tuesday.

Indiana, the number 1 team in the country, is coming to the Barn! Plus, we typically play Indiana well. Sure, we crapped our pants on the road the past two games, but heck, what Clem team didn't do that? I am going to cheer loud. I am hoping for an upset. Why not us? Every #1 team seems to lose. Why not us? The Gophers were playing good ball earlier this year, beat MSU and Illinois, followed by a great near comeback against Indy at their house. Why not us? Sure, the mood is bad, the fans are restless, the team has been off its game. The snow sucks and winter is a drag. But I am pulling for our guys, including Tubby, to right the ship. If they don't, well, things will take care of themsevles after the season. But we have a golden opportunity on Tuesday. Spotlight on the Gophers, a loud arena filled with Gopher fans. Its not often we get the number 1 team in the Barn.. lets enjoy it. Well, I will enjoy it, you are on your own. Sure the outcome could get ugly.. but why choose to have a bowl of wheaties with piss and vinegar?

A couple Hollin's 3's, a cutting dunk by Rodney, the crowd lights up.. game on.

Note- to those about to quote the aforementioned line(s) and reply with a snarky remark about how they suck.. we get it, you've already posted that 1000 times.

Bringing up Clem is one way to attempt to rationalize the results of tubby.

And it is not working.

We're due.

Wednesday's threads will be about whether the court rushing was appropriate or not.

I hope that wasn't a derogatory remark about Oto and Wally because they certainly don't deserve it!

My level of excitement for the IU game is about the same I feel when playing the Powerball Lottery when the pot hits 200mil or higher. It's a wonderful dream, but not worth investing too much time thinking about. Besides a win over IU would only serve to extend Tubby's vise grip on this program another year. Lose to IU, Lose to Nebraska and Lose to Purdue, miss the dance and we will rid ourselves of this nightmare. I would rather lose with a 750k coach than watch Tubby steal.

Another struggling team thought they had no chance against Indiana and they came out and upset them and turned around their season.

Yes!!!! Finally I have found some posters that are still as optimistic as I am. The barn will be rocking for this one, and winning will completely turn around our season!

If we expect the players to shake it off, the fans need to, too. Nobody expected the Gophs to upset IU in Bloomington last year, but they came out and looked like a completely different team and did just that. The past is the past; Tuesday is the first day of the rest of the season.

Back to the Clem thing. The 1998-99 team lost at Wisconsin by 26 or 27 points and did the same at Ohio State, if I recall correctly. Yet they persevered to be a Top 25 ranked team and make the Tournament. (And no, you don't have to remind me how it ended in 1999.)

****Fact check - they only lost by 11 in Madison, but they got trounced by 29 in Columbus. The Buckeyes played really well in that game and ultimately went to the Final Four.****

Love the optimism! Every game brings a new opportunity and hopefully the guys can take advantage of that opportunity against the #1 team in the nation.

I agree that they match up well with Indiana and that Indiana is beatable.

Weirder things have happened.

If we expect the players to shake it off, the fans need to, too. Nobody expected the Gophs to upset IU in Bloomington last year, but they came out and looked like a completely different team and did just that. The past is the past; Tuesday is the first day of the rest of the season.

Back to the Clem thing. The 1998-99 team lost at Wisconsin by 26 or 27 points and did the same at Ohio State, if I recall correctly. Yet they persevered to be a Top 25 ranked team and make the Tournament. (And no, you don't have to remind me how it ended in 1999.)

I've been comparing this team to that one a lot lately. That team was often disappointing, but they somehow maintained a top 20 RPI all year, so you knew they were in no matter what, even though it seemed like they never beat anyone. They got a 7 seed, lost in the first round, scandal hit, and the coach was fired. The similarities this year are frightening, right down to the coach possibly losing his job. So I guess if we make the tourney, we should look at the coach of our opponent closely because he may be here in a few months.

And Indiana will play a fast-paced game, so maybe that will get the Gophers out of their 32 seconds of holding the ball followed by a bad shot routine.

I've been comparing this team to that one a lot lately. That team was often disappointing, but they somehow maintained a top 20 RPI all year, so you knew they were in no matter what, even though it seemed like they never beat anyone. They got a 7 seed, lost in the first round, scandal hit, and the coach was fired. The similarities this year are frightening, right down to the coach possibly losing his job. So I guess if we make the tourney, we should look at the coach of our opponent closely because he may be here in a few months.

**nervous chuckle**

It's a great opportunity, for sure, but my nature to be mostly optimistic isn't at an all-time high right now! My focus already is geared toward 8:15 p.m. Tuesday, after the IU game is over. I'll just skip over the board meltdown that will follow after the Hoosiers' visit.

As bad as they've played since the 2nd half in Evanston, the Gophers' postseason fate strangely enough will be decided by what they do vs. three of the B1G's four bottom-feeders (Penn State, Nebraska, Purdue). Can they simply right the ship enough to assure a spot in the tournament? Win all three, maybe even just two, and they'll start their postseason in Dayton, Auburn Hills, Austin, Kansas City, Lexington, Philly, Salt Lake City, or San Jose.

I agree that the similarities thus far are very eerie, I believe they will end at the beginning of the Tourney. I think that once we start playing on a neutral court, we will be a force to be reckoned with.

Computer Ratings of our beloved Gophers

#20 Sagarin, #18 Ken-Pom, #15 RPI, #27 Massey, #17 TeamRankings dot com

still pretty healthy. Saw a video segment on CBSSportsline where they addressed the issue of how many bids the Big Ten would get, and the entire panel seemed to agree that 7 was for sure, with a good possibility for 8 getting in. Illinois was mentioned and called a virtual lock, Minnesota was mentioned next and was said to be close to a lock DESPITE their recent struggles and mentioned their having a ton of Top 100 wins and quite a few signature Top 25 wins as well, and Iowa was mentioned as well, with the moderator hinting for clarification by responding "Iowa?", and the guys said with some conviction in his voice, "Yeah, Iowa" and he said what I've been saying, Iowa should win most of their remaining games and move up.

All of you who might be or could be down on this Gopher team, who feel that we're done, that theres no chance for us, that we're NIT bound, that we suck, etc., should go check it out, it sure makes you wonder how so many around the country still like Minnesota yet so many Gopher fans are so negative?!

Computer Ratings of our Big Ten opponents

Indiana - #1 Sagarin, #2 Ken-Pom, #8 RPI, #1 Massey, #1 TeamRankings

Michigan - #6 Sagarin, #9 Ken-Pom, #11 RPI, #3 Massey, #3 TeamRankings

Mich State - #9 Sagarin, #12 Ken-Pom, #7 RPI, #7 Massey, #10 TeamRankings

Wisconsin - #10 Sagarin, #5 Ken-Pom, #23 RPI, #14 Massey, #11 TeamRankings

Ohio State - #11 Sagarin, #13 Ken-Pom, #25 RPI, #18 Massey, #13 TeamRankings

Illinois - #37 Sagarin, #33 Ken-Pom, #32 RPI, #27 Massey #37 TeamRankings

Iowa - #34, Sagarin, #29 Ken-Pom, #83 RPI, #48 Massey, #42 TeamRankings

Nebraska - is #106 in the RPI, could move up to Top 100

Purdue - is #79 in the Sagarin, but at #125 in the RPI probably has too far to go to get into the Top 100.

Northwestern - is #97 in the Sagarin but only #121 in the RPI now. Looks like we might be stuck with at least one bad loss.

Penn State - is #156 in the Sagarin and has moved up into the Top 200 in the RPI at #199. Illinois dropped in the RPI three spots despite beating PSU.

FIVE Big Ten teams in the TOP 11 of the Sagarin Ratings, simply FRICKIN WOW!!! And 8 in the Top 40.

EIGHT Big Ten teams in the Top 35 of the Ken-Pom Ratings. Another simple, WOW.

Our record looks incredible actually when using those rating systems BUT, even using the RPI, we are

3-6 vs the Top 25.
4-7 vs the Top 50.
7-7 vs the Top 75.
12-8 vs the Top 100.
14-9 vs the Top 125.
3-0 vs 125-250.
1-0 vs 250+

Shall we compare our resume to Pac-10 leaders and Top 10 ranked Arizona?!

2-0 vs Top 25.
5-4 vs Top 50.
7-4 vs Top 75.
11-4 vs Top 100.
13-4 vs Top 125.
7-0 vs 125-250.
2-0 vs 250+

We have played 9 Top 25 teams to their 2.
We have beaten 4 Top 25 teams to their 2.
We have more Top 75, Top 100 & Top 125 wins.
Arizona has played over twice as many teams with RPI ratings over #125 than we have.

And we only rate 3 or 4 spots behind Arizona in most of the computer ratings.

And some people probably still remember how the refs basically gave Arizona a win over Colorado that they didn't deserve.

But Arizona's getting talked about as a potential #1 or #2 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Shows you a benefit of playing in a creampuff conf. But at the same time, we have 9 losses and have those in the Natl Media that cover cbb calling us almost a lock for the dance with 4 games left to go in conf play.

The nation respects the Big Ten this season, probably more than many Gopher fans do.

As for this game coming up vs the #1 team in the nation, Indiana, well we get a couple extra days to practice, and we've historically always seemed to give Indiana our best game of the year. Lets hope that history continues. GO GOPHERS!!!!

And Indiana will play a fast-paced game, so maybe that will get the Gophers out of their 32 seconds of holding the ball followed by a bad shot routine.

This is the biggest reason why I have some optimism for the game Tuesday. Indiana is not going to slow it down and make it a "coaching" game. They are going to push the tempo, play man to man, and make Minnesota play their game. That is what we need. Play a full court game, push the tempo, get the ball inside if possible, and hope that the shots are going down from the outside.

Computer Ratings of our beloved Gophers

#20 Sagarin, #18 Ken-Pom, #15 RPI, #27 Massey, #17 TeamRankings dot com

still pretty healthy. Saw a video segment on CBSSportsline where they addressed the issue of how many bids the Big Ten would get, and the entire panel seemed to agree that 7 was for sure, with a good possibility for 8 getting in. Illinois was mentioned and called a virtual lock, Minnesota was mentioned next and was said to be close to a lock DESPITE their recent struggles and mentioned their having a ton of Top 100 wins and quite a few signature Top 25 wins as well, and Iowa was mentioned as well, with the moderator hinting for clarification by responding "Iowa?", and the guys said with some conviction in his voice, "Yeah, Iowa" and he said what I've been saying, Iowa should win most of their remaining games and move up.

All of you who might be or could be down on this Gopher team, who feel that we're done, that theres no chance for us, that we're NIT bound, that we suck, etc., should go check it out, it sure makes you wonder how so many around the country still like Minnesota yet so many Gopher fans are so negative?!

Computer Ratings of our Big Ten opponents

Indiana - #1 Sagarin, #2 Ken-Pom, #8 RPI, #1 Massey, #1 TeamRankings

Michigan - #6 Sagarin, #9 Ken-Pom, #11 RPI, #3 Massey, #3 TeamRankings

Mich State - #9 Sagarin, #12 Ken-Pom, #7 RPI, #7 Massey, #10 TeamRankings

Wisconsin - #10 Sagarin, #5 Ken-Pom, #23 RPI, #14 Massey, #11 TeamRankings

Ohio State - #11 Sagarin, #13 Ken-Pom, #25 RPI, #18 Massey, #13 TeamRankings

Illinois - #37 Sagarin, #33 Ken-Pom, #32 RPI, #27 Massey #37 TeamRankings

Iowa - #34, Sagarin, #29 Ken-Pom, #83 RPI, #48 Massey, #42 TeamRankings

Nebraska - is #106 in the RPI, could move up to Top 100

Purdue - is #79 in the Sagarin, but at #125 in the RPI probably has too far to go to get into the Top 100.

Northwestern - is #97 in the Sagarin but only #121 in the RPI now. Looks like we might be stuck with at least one bad loss.

Penn State - is #156 in the Sagarin and has moved up into the Top 200 in the RPI at #199. Illinois dropped in the RPI three spots despite beating PSU.

FIVE Big Ten teams in the TOP 11 of the Sagarin Ratings, simply FRICKIN WOW!!! And 8 in the Top 40.

EIGHT Big Ten teams in the Top 35 of the Ken-Pom Ratings. Another simple, WOW.

Our record looks incredible actually when using those rating systems BUT, even using the RPI, we are

3-6 vs the Top 25.
4-7 vs the Top 50.
7-7 vs the Top 75.
12-8 vs the Top 100.
14-9 vs the Top 125.
3-0 vs 125-250.
1-0 vs 250+

Shall we compare our resume to Pac-10 leaders and Top 10 ranked Arizona?!

2-0 vs Top 25.
5-4 vs Top 50.
7-4 vs Top 75.
11-4 vs Top 100.
13-4 vs Top 125.
7-0 vs 125-250.
2-0 vs 250+

We have played 9 Top 25 teams to their 2.
We have beaten 4 Top 25 teams to their 2.
We have more Top 75, Top 100 & Top 125 wins.
Arizona has played over twice as many teams with RPI ratings over #125 than we have.

And we only rate 3 or 4 spots behind Arizona in most of the computer ratings.

And some people probably still remember how the refs basically gave Arizona a win over Colorado that they didn't deserve.

But Arizona's getting talked about as a potential #1 or #2 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Shows you a benefit of playing in a creampuff conf. But at the same time, we have 9 losses and have those in the Natl Media that cover cbb calling us almost a lock for the dance with 4 games left to go in conf play.

The nation respects the Big Ten this season, probably more than many Gopher fans do.

As for this game coming up vs the #1 team in the nation, Indiana, well we get a couple extra days to practice, and we've historically always seemed to give Indiana our best game of the year. Lets hope that history continues. GO GOPHERS!!!!

The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do. ~Thomas Jefferson

I'm all for computer facts and cite them nearly all the time on here, but it's really not surprising that so many are down on the Gophers in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world (and business)

Through 1/9:
15-1 (3-0)
vs current Top 25 RPI: 2-1
vs current 26-50 RPI: 1-0
vs current 51-100 RPI: 5-0
vs current 101-200 RPI: 3-0
vs current 200+ RPI: 4-0

Since 1/9:
3-8 (3-8)
vs current Top 25 RPI: 1-5
vs current 26-50 RPI: 0-1
vs current 51-100 RPI: 1-1
vs current 101-200 RPI: 1-1

We have one Top 25 (Indiana) and then 3 100+ games left (@ Nebraska 106, @ Purdue 125, Penn State 199). In the past month and a half, against teams that could be in the NCAA tournament based on their merits (and not an autobid) we're 1-6.

I like the positivity (even though for some reason, my positive thread got locked). I'm with you. Let's beat Indiana somehow, and everything will look a lot rosier. This is a confidence team, and a team of runs, and I see no reason that this team couldn't rediscover its form somehow against Indiana. Go Gophers.

Gopher07 --

But the only people I know of who are REALLY down on the Gophers, are Gopher fans.

I get the impression people in the know outside of Minnesota are far more comfortable with the Gophers and see them as basically bound for the NCAA tourney.

From the barn -- That is a talent I do not have I can admit. lol

Gopher07 --

But the only people I know of who are REALLY down on the Gophers, are Gopher fans.

I get the impression people in the know outside of Minnesota are far more comfortable with the Gophers and see them as basically bound for the NCAA tourney.

That's fair. And I agree, they are bound for the tourney, the win over Wisconsin basically guaranteed it, barring a total and complete collapse (I'm talking a home loss to Penn State, not road losses to Iowa and Ohio State).

Love the thread...if I still lived in Minneapolis, I would be heading to the barn for this one for sure. I think Indiana is a great team, might win it all actually....but strange things can happen on the road.

We hit a bunch of 3s early, they don't....the game can change a little. We get a few calls, they don't, they get in in some foul trouble, we dont.......you never know......
But god's sake Tubby, if we get off to a hot start...DO NOT SABOTAGE THE TEAM BY PUTTING IN ALL BENCH PLAYERS!!,.....get them in there one a time, like every other coach would do if they only had 6 quality players, who wont be exposed quickly by a quality opponent.....KEep your foot on the pedal, no letting up against a team like this. Every turnover by Maverick trying to pass to Ingram, while Julian gets in the way, just eats at the team's confidence, sparks the other team and demoralizes our home fans.

Being an optimist is why people like sports and root for their favorite teams, right? I think we can do it dammit...a Trevor put back and the foul, puts us up by 5, with a couple mins to go and Zeller fouls out. Just enough free throws from the Hollins' at the end to hang on...74-71. And YES, you can rush the court.

Love the thread...if I still lived in Minneapolis, I would be heading to the barn for this one for sure. I think Indiana is a great team, might win it all actually....but strange things can happen on the road.

We hit a bunch of 3s early, they don't....the game can change a little. We get a few calls, they don't, they get in in some foul trouble, we dont.......you never know......
But god's sake Tubby, if we get off to a hot start...DO NOT SABOTAGE THE TEAM BY PUTTING IN ALL BENCH PLAYERS!!,.....get them in there one a time, like every other coach would do if they only had 6 quality players, who wont be exposed quickly by a quality opponent.....KEep your foot on the pedal, no letting up against a team like this. Every turnover by Maverick trying to pass to Ingram, while Julian gets in the way, just eats at the team's confidence, sparks the other team and demoralizes our home fans.

Being an optimist is why people like sports and root for their favorite teams, right? I think we can do it dammit...a Trevor put back and the foul, puts us up by 5, with a couple mins to go and Zeller fouls out. Just enough free throws from the Hollins' at the end to hang on...74-71. And YES, you can rush the court.

:clap:

This is the biggest reason why I have some optimism for the game Tuesday. Indiana is not going to slow it down and make it a "coaching" game. They are going to push the tempo, play man to man, and make Minnesota play their game. That is what we need. Play a full court game, push the tempo, get the ball inside if possible, and hope that the shots are going down from the outside.

I'm excited as well.

We have #1 coming to town. I'll bet they are looking past us, and their defense sometimes disappears.

I'm not sure we can beat them, but we might. At the very least, I think we give them very competitive game.

Top Bottom