Everything Anti-Pitino Discussion...... Please put it all here and not in other threads.

One of the odd things about Pitino is that - just when it looks like he is in real trouble - he has managed to come up with some decent seasons.

going into 2020-21 - with Oturu gone - expectations are going to be extremely low. Even if Carr comes back.

So - if the Gophers can just be OK - not great, but just OK - Pitino comes out looking good by comparison.

So much of how coaches are perceived has to do with expectations. If you expect a team to be great, and they're only good, the coach looks bad.

But, if you expect a team to be dog crap, and they manage to look somewhat competent, the coach looks good.

So, I think there is a chance that Pitino can keep his job if he just manages to look somewhat competent. A low bar, to be sure.
The man has 9 lives and is probably going to get 9 years.

Bump. Here built, spew all of your hate here so we don’t have to keep reading it in every other thread...

Bump. Here built, spew all of your hate here so we don’t have to keep reading it in every other thread...
Thanks for the reminder, i had known it was on the board. For the record, i point out what he has done well but not afraid to post on what he has done poorly.

Thanks for the reminder, i had known it was on the board. For the record, i point out what he has done well but not afraid to post on what he has done poorly.
That is fine, but you beat it like a drum at every opportunity. We all know your feelings, it just gets very tiring to hear it in every recruiting thread. Every recruit that the Gopher miss on is because of how much better the other coach is than our mediocre coach...

I am not trying to be some board censor, everyone is free to post what the want. I typically enjoy reading your posts. I just think it is beneath you to keep taking repeated, generic jabs at the coach and his record.

Wouldn’t it be a heck of a lot easier if you just blocked those you don’t want to listen to?
The point was that so many other posts get taken over with pages of people attacking the coach. It just kills those threads.

I have blocked a handful of posters and it makes it much more enjoyable.

But there are several posters, like Built, that have very interesting content outside of his mediocre coach rants.

Also, this gives people a place to vent and discuss what they dislike about our coach.

That is fine, but you beat it like a drum at every opportunity. We all know your feelings, it just gets very tiring to hear it in every recruiting thread. Every recruit that the Gopher miss on is because of how much better the other coach is than our mediocre coach...

I am not trying to be some board censor, everyone is free to post what the want. I typically enjoy reading your posts. I just think it is beneath you to keep taking repeated, generic jabs at the coach and his record.
They are not generic. They are specific as to playing a role in a recruits decision. I pointed out that certain players made it known as a reason for not coming here. The lack of success or trust in a program has a great deal to do with these decisions.

Could not agree with you more. Tiring might be an understatement but it will do. Thought about posting something similar myself.

Look, there is no rule that you have to recruit in-state kids to have a winning program. Fred Hoiberg at Iowa State turned it into Transfer U and had some really fun teams.

The issue with Pitino is not just that he's missing on some top in-state kids. it's that he's missing on some top in-state kids - AND that he's not winning - at least not on any consistent basis. one issue compounds the other issue.

if Pitino put a team out there that won 25 games and went to the Sweet 16, 98% of the fans would not give a bleep where the players came from. Jordan Murphy - from TX - became a real fan favorite.

Winning hides your defects - losing exposes them.

I want to like Pitino as the Gophers coach but I can't find many positives to make it so. His track record here is just bad. He got lucky to get the job and even more lucky to keep it. I wish him success but am not expecting it.
I wish him success also but I am expecting it with the talent we have coming in. I apologize for posting something positive about Pitino here knowing this thread was meant for Pitino bashers only.

If he could get his teams to just finish games his record would be alright, he has to get his teams to play for 40 minutes not 35 like happened so often last year, whatever the solution is he needs to find it or he won't be around to much longer.

Why would one groups tiresome blathering have to be in one thread and another group's tiresome blathering gets multiple threads? This board has some...let's just say interesting intellects on it.

I wish him success also but I am expecting it with the talent we have coming in. I apologize for posting something positive about Pitino here knowing this thread was meant for Pitino bashers only.
Stating facts is not bashing, it is reality. Hell, if he had just two top 3 finishes and was above .500 by now i would say he seems like a decent coach. But one winning conference record in 7 years !

Reactions: MRJ

The top 3 finishes during the last 7 years

Michigan State: Tie 2nd (12-6), Tie 3rd (12-6), 2nd (13-5), 1st (16-2), Tie 1st (16-4), Tie 1st (14-6)
Wisconsin: Tie 2nd (12-6), 1st (16-2), Tie 3rd (12-6), Tie 2nd (12-6), Tie 1st (14-6)
Purdue: Tie 3rd (12-6), Tie 3rd (12-6), 1st (14-4), Tie 2nd (15-3), Tie 1st (16-4)
Maryland: 2nd (14-4), Tie 3rd (12-6), Tie 2nd (12-6), Tie 1st (14-6)
Michigan: 1st (15-3), 3rd (15-5)
Iowa: Tie 3rd (12-6), Tie 3rd (12-6)
Indiana: 1st (15-3)
Ohio State: Tie 2nd (15-3)

No Top Three Finishes: Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Nebraska, Rutgers, Penn State

Stating facts is not bashing, it is reality. Hell, if he had just two top 3 finishes and was above .500 by now i would say he seems like a decent coach. But one winning conference record in 7 years !
I am not going to go into all the details that I and other have been explained in the past. I expect the team to go to the tournament this next season.

I am not going to go into all the details that I and other have been explained in the past. I expect the team to go to the tournament this next season.
What do you think should happen if the team is not selected for the Big Dance this next season?

Do you expect them to finish above .500 and to finish ahead of UW just once ?

Do you expect them to finish above .500 and to finish ahead of UW just once ?
I get the above .500 part, but why finishing ahead of Wisconsin as the measuring stick? Why not Michigan St.? Purdue? Maryland? Iowa? If we're 8-12 and Wisconsin is 7-13, does it really matter?

I get the above .500 part, but why finishing ahead of Wisconsin as the measuring stick? Why not Michigan St.? Purdue? Maryland? Iowa? If we're 8-12 and Wisconsin is 7-13, does it really matter?
They are all measuring sticks, but your main rival, not theirs, that you recruit against and you do not finish ahead of even once in 7 years ! The idea that it would take UW going 7-13 is pretty said, especially since they have done that in poorly this century. Pass UW JUST ONCE and it may make the Carlson's of the world that you actually can.

They are all measuring sticks, but your main rival, not theirs, that you recruit against and you do not finish ahead of even once in 7 years ! The idea that it would take UW going 7-13 is pretty said, especially since they have done that in poorly this century. Pass UW JUST ONCE and it may make the Carlson's of the world that you actually can.
I think we recruit against everyone, not just Wisconsin.

Are there any other teams we haven't finished ahead of in the last 7 years? Why not mention them?

My point is it shouldn't be us vs. them (whoever you want "them" to be). It should be finishing top 4, finishing above .500, etc. Like you said, I don't know how many people would say we had a successful year if we missed the postseason but we finished a game ahead of Wisconsin. Looking on the bright side maybe, but not success.

I think we recruit against everyone, not just Wisconsin.

Are there any other teams we haven't finished ahead of in the last 7 years? Why not mention them?

My point is it shouldn't be us vs. them (whoever you want "them" to be). It should be finishing top 4, finishing above .500, etc. Like you said, I don't know how many people would say we had a successful year if we missed the postseason but we finished a game ahead of Wisconsin. Looking on the bright side maybe, but not success.
Agree, it is possible to finish ahead of UW and still not be successful but it is more likely that if we finish ahead of them it means a near top of the conference finish. PLUS it tells people we actually can.

Agree, it is possible to finish ahead of UW and still not be successful but it is more likely that if we finish ahead of them it means a near top of the conference finish. PLUS it tells people we actually can.
Agreed, and that's the important part. I think the message to people is equally clear if we finish ahead of Michigan St., if not even more so.

Agreed, and that's the important part. I think the message to people is equally clear if we finish ahead of Michigan St., if not even more so.
Even more so for sure. They have been even more successful than UW. Right now we have fans who are ok with 6th place. That is fine by me for them but not by the standards of what i expect.

simple fact- while it appeared that Covid saved jobs...it is now apparent that this full stop tips the scale to a full restart for many athletic programs. you heard it here first.

Last edited:

Top Bottom