Everything Anti-Pitino Discussion...... Please put it all here and not in other threads.

Damian Johnson and Kendall Shell disagree with you. As do I.
Another 12th place finish will be gone. Great chance to contend at the top of the conference and win the job.

Another 12th place finish will be gone. Great chance to contend at the top of the conference and win the job.

Another great chance to pick up tourney wins, which he has done the previous 3 seasons at a rate similar to or better than other big ten teams except for MSU and UM. Despite mega injuries.

Another great chance to pick up tourney wins, which he has done the previous 3 seasons at a rate similar to or better than other big ten teams except for MSU and UM. Despite mega injuries.
One tourney win in his career.

Conference finish in the most resent year, the most important year by your standard.

Recent most important. Previous 3 years Coach Pitino did well using tourney wins as a standard - comparatively with other big ten teams. Also remains how many additional tourney wins could've been had without injuries. Last season we were right there but too many heartbreakers. Thus, I can see how Shell and Johnson favor two more years. Personally, I would throw in the caveat that recruiting needs to be promising.

Numbers in bold are Big10 records and winning percentages. Of Gophers coaches with more than 1 season, Richard manages to finish ahead of two other guys. This next season he might be giving Mr Taylor a run for his money, however.

LOCK HIM UP! 20 YEARS$$$! :ROFLMAO:

Richard Pitino
2013-​
7​
127​
108​
.549​
Harold Taylor
1924-27​
3​
19​
30​
.388​
Carl Nordly
1942-44​
2​
17​
23​
.425​

Numbers in bold are Big10 records and winning percentages. Of Gophers coaches with more than 1 season, Richard manages to finish ahead of two other guys. This next season he might be giving Mr Taylor a run for his money, however.

LOCK HIM UP! 20 YEARS$$$! :ROFLMAO:

Richard Pitino
2013-​
7​
127​
108​
.549​
Harold Taylor
1924-27​
3​
19​
30​
.388​
Carl Nordly
1942-44​
2​
17​
23​
.425​
The .370 would be fine going into year 3 or 4 that there was evidence of a foundation . T he scary part is that record after year 7 with one top 4 finish. That is hard to accept.

NCAA Tournament wins last 3 seasons (excludes incomplete 2019-20 season):

Michigan 9
Purdue 7
Michigan State 6
Ohio State 2
Wisconsin 2
Iowa 1
Maryland 1
Minnesota 1
Northwestern 1
Illinois 0
Indiana 0
Nebraska 0
Penn State 0
Rutgers 0

Reactions: MRJ

NCAA Tournament wins last 3 seasons (excludes incomplete 2019-20 season):

Michigan 9
Purdue 7
Michigan State 6
Ohio State 2
Wisconsin 2
Iowa 1
Maryland 1
Minnesota 1
Northwestern 1
Illinois 0
Indiana 0
Nebraska 0
Penn State 0
Rutgers 0

Yes, thanks. I forgot the Boilers.

Pitino get's more excuses then any other coach I can imagine.

He doesn't produce wins, can't keep local kids home (everyone can't is the excuse given for that) and when he does have a "high ranking" draft class people use that as another excuse yet it never materializes into wins.

As a coach YOU are responsible for everything that happens in your organization. It's no different then a manager in an office or any situation. As the leader it's YOUR responsibility to get things done and if it doesn't then you are at fault.

Even of this crap about how unlucky Pitino has been. This basketball program has had an absolute cup cake non conference schedule which is why Pitino has a 54% winning percentage overall in this time here BUT only a 36.9% winning percentage in conference. That is downright horrible and laughable.

Pitino is a terrible coach and that is 100% the truth. The next guy might very well be as well but with Pitino we know what he is and he wont be getting us anywhere.

At least Gopher football has been making the right decisions and PJ Fleck is a rockstar. The turnaround that program had is amazing and Fleck should lauded for actually building a program instead of excuse after excuse. Fleck gets it done.

Will Pitino make it to 10 years before people finally realize this? Next year is going into year 8...

Nothing original here - just reiterating - I think a lot of people like Pitino. He comes off like a decent guy with a sense of humor.

that might be why he has as much support as he does, considering the W & L record.

if people didn't like him on a personal level, I think the pitchforks and torches would have been out in full force before now.

I certainly think he comes off like a good dude. I'd like to see him win. But at some point, he has to produce better results. only get so many bites at the apple.

Nothing original here - just reiterating - I think a lot of people like Pitino. He comes off like a decent guy with a sense of humor.

that might be why he has as much support as he does, considering the W & L record.

if people didn't like him on a personal level, I think the pitchforks and torches would have been out in full force before now.

I certainly think he comes off like a good dude. I'd like to see him win. But at some point, he has to produce better results. only get so many bites at the apple.
He is likable...at least to the fans. I wish recruits liked him more.

Do the people say they like him actually talk and visit with him or they just like what they see on t.v.? I really don't get any feeling one way or the other about him personally-all I see is the results on court.

Preposterous Statement Tournament Final Four lock.

Reactions: MRJ

Preposterous Statement Tournament Final Four lock.

Facts are preposterous? Will agree that Coach Pitino rightly needs to show success and promise this season or he should be in trouble. In the meantime, we are so lucky to have your fairmindedness to help us understand the truth. Thank you for ever reminding us that nuance shouldn't be part of the discussion.

Last edited:

Facts are preposterous? Will agree that Coach Pitino rightly needs to show success and promise this season or he should be in trouble. In the meantime, we are so lucky to have your fairmindedness to help us understand the truth. Thank you for ever reminding us that nuance shouldn't be part of the discussion.
What facts, one winning conference record out of seven !

What facts, one winning conference record out of seven !

Not going to repeat myself. If interested, feel free to read previous posts. Am guessing your post here is more statement than question anyway.

Last edited:

Pretty much agree with this. I do think there is more reason to support Pitino than just his nature, but would agree with only so many bites of the apple.

He is likable...at least to the fans. I wish recruits liked him more.
On one hand, I do think the recruits and their families do like him. They just question his ability as a coach, player developer, and program builder; it's a huge decision where to go to college.

The aspect of him that players, families, and the local hoops community DOESN'T like about him is his record of undervaluing local players. From what I hear, the whole McKinley Wright thing still sticks in people's craw. And although it's easy to say that he's past that and is doing better now, he's still too late to the party on Eli King and Will Tschetter. It's these 3-star-caliber-and-trending-higher players that he's neglected in the past and thought he could use as a backup option in case the higher-rated local and national players don't come here. Well, these are the types of players that we've been lacking: talented, productive guys who can be in the top 9 of a rotation on a good team, and in losing out on them we end up with some other guy who can't play and a rotation that only goes 6 or 7 deep of players you can trust out there.

On one hand, I do think the recruits and their families do like him. They just question his ability as a coach, player developer, and program builder; it's a huge decision where to go to college.

The aspect of him that players, families, and the local hoops community DOESN'T like about him is his record of undervaluing local players. From what I hear, the whole McKinley Wright thing still sticks in people's craw. And although it's easy to say that he's past that and is doing better now, he's still too late to the party on Eli King and Will Tschetter. It's these 3-star-caliber-and-trending-higher players that he's neglected in the past and thought he could use as a backup option in case the higher-rated local and national players don't come here. Well, these are the types of players that we've been lacking: talented, productive guys who can be in the top 9 of a rotation on a good team, and in losing out on them we end up with some other guy who can't play and a rotation that only goes 6 or 7 deep of players you can trust out there.

Tschetter needs to make big progress his senior high school season. Think I saw reported somewhere that King will be offered a dual Notre Dame football - basketball scholarship.

Tschetter needs to make big progress his senior high school season. Think I saw reported somewhere that King will be offered a dual Notre Dame football - basketball scholarship.
It'll be interesting if King ends up there and trying to do both sports. I've always felt that he was Hawkeye bait. Iowa has had a nice little football pipeline going from that part of the state.

That is correct, I saw that recently for king and ND. Does tschetter have any p5 offers? The gophers have been in contact with him but just have not offered at this time. Not sure what recruiting status is with gophers but didn't he just finish sophmore season? There is still time to work with him if he is a target for our staff.

There are plenty of fans, players and recruits that do not find anything about all that remarkable. What would his largest supporters say really stands out. I keep hearing funny, what about smart, charismatic, handsome for the ladies, life of a room. Give me something.

What do people think he needs to save his job? Upper 6 finish? Sweet 16? Elite 8?
Just make ncaa tourney? Big 10 tournament champ? Just seeing what needs to be checked.

PS-i didnt put big 10 regular season champ on there because I was trying to be realistic.

That is correct, I saw that recently for king and ND. Does tschetter have any p5 offers? The gophers have been in contact with him but just have not offered at this time. Not sure what recruiting status is with gophers but didn't he just finish sophmore season? There is still time to work with him if he is a target for our staff.

Tschetter will be a senior. No power conference offers.

What do people think he needs to save his job? Upper 6 finish? Sweet 16? Elite 8?
Just make ncaa tourney? Big 10 tournament champ? Just seeing what needs to be checked.

PS-i didnt put big 10 regular season champ on there because I was trying to be realistic.
For me 5th and a sweet 16 would do it. Great question because the answers will be all over the map.
I settled for 5th because that would get us above .500

For me 5th and a sweet 16 would do it. Great question because the answers will be all over the map.
I settled for 5th because that would get us above .500
I was thinking around the same. I thought at least 6th with a sweet 16. If he would get elite 8 I dont think it would matter where he finished, obviously would have to finish high enough to make tourney. Depending how many big 10 teams make it. I dont think my last statement will happen but was just saying.

There are plenty of fans, players and recruits that do not find anything about all that remarkable. What would his largest supporters say really stands out. I keep hearing funny, what about smart, charismatic, handsome for the ladies, life of a room. Give me something.
You are being really disingenuous with these type of comments. You know he has done a very nice job of developing players, he has done some nice recruiting, he relates very well with the players, at times he has does a very good job of scouting and game planning for his opponents, etc. It may not be quite as good as you demand, but it is a hell of a lot more than he is cute....

You are being really disingenuous with these type of comments. You know he has done a very nice job of developing players, he has done some nice recruiting, he relates very well with the players, at times he has does a very good job of scouting and game planning for his opponents, etc. It may not be quite as good as you demand, but it is a hell of a lot more than he is cute....
Disagree with nearly every part of this. In my mind, my opinion you can not do all the things he has done nicely or very good and have that poor of a performance. You have your opinion, i have mine.

Top Bottom