EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Not one shooter in the group though. That's the biggest miss.

Coffey and Hurt should help in that regard though hopefully.

Now do you see why I was concerned when Pitino said Joey was our best shooter?. It's been painfully obvious this team doesnt have great shooters. Mason is keeping is in the games lately but isnt getting consistent help from anyone.

Now do you see why I was concerned when Pitino said Joey was our best shooter?. It's been painfully obvious this team doesnt have great shooters. Mason is keeping is in the games lately but isnt getting consistent help from anyone.

Joey is a 43% three point shooter. Are you suggesting we should have multiple guys shooting better than that? I think that might make us the best three point shooting team in the country.

No. This still doesn't make sense. We need more shooters, yes, but there is nothing concerning about your best three point shooter shooting 43%. That is a very good percentage.

Lmao.

Lol. Thank you everyone for answering for me. The comment still doesn't make sense.

This freshman class has the longest losing streak to open a Gopher Big Ten schedule in 93 years and we're "assholes" because we dare to question St. Richard and his divine recruiting powers. Awesome.

"Asshole" is a flexible term. Sometimes it refers to a person who possesses intellect on par with one who opens his mouth and spews, well, bull****. The particular species of asshole is an intellectual asshole. You may or may not be such an asshole (I have my suspicions).

There is another variety of asshole. On very rare occasion, one's general discourse with his surroundings is simply so intolerable, distasteful, and, shall we say it, putrid beyond all reasonable expectation of stench.

You, DP, are the latter. You are the rarest form of asshole, and would be such irrespective of your beliefs about the Goph's. I've remained silent over four years on this board and believe at this time only one person to be an asshole in the worst sense of the term. Congratulations, you've earned it over many year. Asshole.

The frustrating thing about King is he has been so inconsistent in the Big Ten this year. Games 3-6 of the BT schedule he shot 61% for 3 pointers. In the other 6 games he shot a combined 28% from the outside.

I mean really - where else but in Minnesota would a person take an entire post to make build the case for another's asshole status? This is a message board masterpiece that we've apparently waited for 4 years to behold. Thank you. Please hang around. May I quote the 'asshole is a flexible term' (if not orifice)?

"Asshole" is a flexible term. Sometimes it refers to a person who possesses intellect on par with one who opens his mouth and spews, well, bull****. The particular species of asshole is an intellectual asshole. You may or may not be such an asshole (I have my suspicions).

There is another variety of asshole. On very rare occasion, one's general discourse with his surroundings is simply so intolerable, distasteful, and, shall we say it, putrid beyond all reasonable expectation of stench.

You, DP, are the latter. You are the rarest form of asshole, and would be such irrespective of your beliefs about the Goph's. I've remained silent over four years on this board and believe at this time only one person to be an asshole in the worst sense of the term. Congratulations, you've earned it over many year. Asshole.

Moonlight, you have my permission and, moreover, my imprimatur. Quote away!

Never let it be forgotten: DP is an asshole of the most putrid variety.

Michael Hurt will probably be our best pure shooter next season, but can he get his shots off as a Freshman & can he do enough of the other things to get on the court?

Lynch will add a much needed toughness and 'tude'. Bakary should be better. Gaston will either be gone or red shirt. Pitino's going to have to find a transfer of some sort to play the 5 & having Gaston as r-Sr as the back up may not seem like such a bad idea down the road? Someone will transfer out, they always do. Pitino will comb through the Jucos, Sr transfers, etc. and find us another big. He had Chris Obekpa & Chris Boucher interested but couldn't close the deal. It'll be a much easier sell to the next big if he continues to showcase the potential of the young guys who would be upperclassmen with a Juco or transfer, rather than playing Morris, Buggs & King.

Fitz is 6'8" & tough, but skinny. Sort of like Damian Johnson was. He's not the solution up front, but he's a piece of the puzzle.

We're getting there.

No. This still doesn't make sense. We need more shooters, yes, but there is nothing concerning about your best three point shooter shooting 43%. That is a very good percentage.

3 out of the last 4 games he has had less than 5 points with a big goose egg against indiana. I dont think his fantastic shooting percentage is helping us out too much. This team as a whole does not shoot particularly well from 3 point range.

Joey is a 43% three point shooter. Are you suggesting we should have multiple guys shooting better than that? I think that might make us the best three point shooting team in the country.

He's made this comment before, even earlier in the season when Joey was shooting something like 45 or 46 percent from 3, and I responded similarly to how you did. I think what he means is that we need more good shooters on this team, or that it would be nice if our best shooters provided a greater range of offensive utility than Joey King does, both of which are reasonable and defensible positions. But he keeps saying it's a problem that Joey King is the best shooter on the team, which makes it sound like any halfway decent team has 2 or 3 guys shooting close to 45% from 3, which, as far as I know, very few teams have.

3 out of the last 4 games he has had less than 5 points with a big goose egg against indiana. I dont think his fantastic shooting percentage is helping us out too much. This team as a whole does not shoot particularly well from 3 point range.

I've made this comment before, but just the fact Joey can shoot forces a defense not to collapse into the paint and they have to always account for him. So sure, he should be shooting better, but the defense still has to have a defender glued to him which opens up drives for Dupree, Mason, and Dorsey.

The main times Joey bothers me are when he's trying to post up, he should never be inside the 3 point line except for cutting or when he passes up open threes to move the ball to someone else or pump fakes into a harder two point shot.

Attack the person instead of the argument because you can't refute it. It's a pretty typical tack around here. Congratulations - you should be proud of yourself for wasting the keystrokes to viciously name-call a person you don't even know.

Fitz is 6'8" & tough, but skinny. Sort of like Damian Johnson was. He's not the solution up front, but he's a piece of the puzzle.

Sorry I deleted the part about michael. I think He'll have an easier time getting his shot off as a freshmen than he would as a sophomore after teams have scouted him better but hopefully he will also have improved.

I thought Fitz was more suited to play the SF position but could play the 4 if needed.

I don't see us adding anther BIG when we'd have Lynch, Diedhiou, Konate, Murphy, Curry for 2 positions. If one were to leave he might look to add someone or he might roll with it and try to get Theo in the next class along with someone else but I doubt before next year.

I know that ESPN shows our record as 6-16 and zero Big Ten wins, but I actually score the Gophers at 15-7 if you include moral victories. We all know that here in MN everyone gets their jollies off on moral victories.

There is nothing I want more then the Gophers program to be relevant year in and year out. I watch every game and to hear a rube say these freshman all have a chance to score 20 PPG is something that should be sent to Common for the Preposterous Statement competition. Dorsey is shooting 35% on the year and his only makes are from layups. McBrayer is shooting 28% on the year. Next year the Gophers will have 3 guards on the whole team, Mason, Dorsey and McBrayer. We are overfilled at the 305 positions. I wouldnt be shocked to see Buggs transfer which hopefully opens up a spot for another guard but if we are going into the Big10 season next year with those 3 playing 90% of our minutes we wont win more than 6 games in the Big10 next year.

Amir Coffey.

http://www.mnbasketballhub.com/stat...1&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=1488826

I doubt these stats are up to date as I doubt he has only shot 4 3's I 19 games. But he is 0 for 4.

21pts, 12reb, 7 ass, 3 stls per game but not a 3pt shooter.

Michael Hurt.

http://www.mnbasketballhub.com/stat...1&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=1488826

21 ppg, 49 of 105 on 3's for 47%. 10reb, 9assists per game. 2 stls, 2.5 blks.

Current gophers 32% as a team.
Shooting the 3 well-J king 43%
shooting average-Morris 37%, Buggs 37%.
shooting horrendous-Dorsey 16%, McBrayer 16%, Gilbert 22%. Mason 30%.

Top big ten teams:
Indiana-43% as a team. Yogi 47%, Blackmon 46%, Bielfeldt 44, R Johnson 44%, Zeisloft 39%, T Williams 37%, Hartman 39%.

Iowa-40% as a team. Uthoff 46%, Uhl 48%, Jok 40% Gesell 38%, Jones 45%, Baer 42%.

Maryland-36% as a team. Sulaimon 48%, Layman 35%, Trimble 34%, Carter 32%. Not a great team from deep but plenty of everything else to make up for it.

I know that ESPN shows our record as 6-16 and zero Big Ten wins, but I actually score the Gophers at 15-7 if you include moral victories. We all know that here in MN everyone gets their jollies off on moral victories.

There is nothing I want more then the Gophers program to be relevant year in and year out. I watch every game and to hear a rube say these freshman all have a chance to score 20 PPG is something that should be sent to Common for the Preposterous Statement competition. Dorsey is shooting 35% on the year and his only makes are from layups. McBrayer is shooting 28% on the year. Next year the Gophers will have 3 guards on the whole team, Mason, Dorsey and McBrayer. We are overfilled at the 305 positions. I wouldnt be shocked to see Buggs transfer which hopefully opens up a spot for another guard but if we are going into the Big10 season next year with those 3 playing 90% of our minutes we wont win more than 6 games in the Big10 next year.
Coffey can play Point, The 2 spot and the wing between him, McBreyer, Mason and Dorsey will be fine.

Amir Coffey.

I doubt these stats are up to date as I doubt he has only shot 4 3's I 19 games. But he is 0 for 4.

Michael Hurt.

Top big ten teams:
Indiana-43% as a team. Yogi 47%, Blackmon 46%, Bielfeldt 44, R Johnson 44%, Zeisloft 39%, T Williams 37%, Hartman 39%.

Iowa-40% as a team. Uthoff 46%, Uhl 48%, Jok 40% Gesell 38%, Jones 45%, Baer 42%.

Maryland-36% as a team. Sulaimon 48%, Layman 35%, Trimble 34%, Carter 32%. Not a great team from deep but plenty of everything else to make up for it.

I just don't think we will shoot many 3's next year, which isn't usually a recipe for success. But if you look at Lousiville, who I see us emulating more in more both in roster makeup and style, they've shot allmost 100 less threes than us YTD at a slightly higher rate (36%). Get to the rim, get fouled, get rebounds, get steals.

And if you think we emulate Florida more similarly like Richard has publicly stated, they shoot the 3 as bad as us at 33%.

Ha, great stuff! Kiss your mom with that mouth?

Yes I do! And not just my mum, yours too. In fact, the last time I was with your mum she asked me to kiss her where it stinks...so I drove her to Cloquet. :rolleyes:

Anyone know whether redshirt discussions were had with Gilbert and even McBrayer? I guess McBrayer is getting experience in games, but simply practicing with the team every day would probably yield similar results. Would have also helped with roster balance.

As for the OP, keep in mind that the Big Ten leader in PPG hasn't scored more than 21 ppg since Kris Humphries in 2004. Since then there have been 6 seasons in which the leader scored < 20 ppg. In other words, players score 20 ppg in the Big Ten very rarely. I have to think what he meant was that any of the guys could go for 20 on any given night. That's more realistic. And having 4 guys who can go for 20 on any given night is a luxury.

Anyone know whether redshirt discussions were had with Gilbert and even McBrayer? I guess McBrayer is getting experience in games, but simply practicing with the team every day would probably yield similar results. Would have also helped with roster balance.

As for the OP, keep in mind that the Big Ten leader in PPG hasn't scored more than 21 ppg since Kris Humphries in 2004. Since then there have been 6 seasons in which the leader scored < 20 ppg. In other words, players score 20 ppg in the Big Ten very rarely. I have to think what he meant was that any of the guys could go for 20 on any given night. That's more realistic. And having 4 guys who can go for 20 on any given night is a luxury.
Doubt it since we only have ten scholarship players available, no need to redshirt anybody

On Joey King - yes, he has a respectable 3-pt shooting % - but he's a one-dimensional player. If he's not hitting the 3, as has happened in several games, he doesn't contribute anything else to help the team win. He's not a strong defender or rebounder.

On a good team, King would be the guy that comes off the bench to try and provide instant offense. The fact that he's starting and playing major minutes for the Gophers tells you all you need to know about the current state of the Gophers' roster.

Amir Coffey.

Michael Hurt.

Top big ten teams:

Some games get reported some don't and usually the shot statistics aren't ever put in so the stats are probably off. From watching Coffey he can do a little bit of everything and if you give him open 3's he can knock them down I'd call him a capable 3pt shooter.

Some games get reported some don't and usually the shot statistics aren't ever put in so the stats are probably off. From watching Coffey he can do a little bit of everything and if you give him open 3's he can knock them down I'd call him a capable 3pt shooter.

For his 2014 high school season (I assume that means 2013-14, but I don't know), I saw he shot 36.4% from 3, and in 2014 EYBL he shot 42.5%. He missed 2015 EYBL because of his injury. So I'd say at the very least, defenses need to account for him on the perimeter.

Top Bottom