ESPN - GA Tech Opening

Perfect. Insulting Minnesotans should make everyone believe you. :cool:

Actually I don't think he insulted Minnesotans in general. He merely insulted those who voted for Franken and Ventura. That makes me a "fan of friend of tubby". fofot for short :)

Actually I don't think he insulted Minnesotans in general. He merely insulted those who voted for Franken and Ventura. That makes me a "fan of friend of tubby". fofot for short :)

:) That would be fine by me, although I don't really think that's what he was implying unfortunately.

I'm getting to the point of indifference if he goes. It's beyond aggrivating the way everyone thinks 'little old' Minnesota can't possibly keep thier coach. I'm sure by this point these rumors are indeed hurting Spring recruiting, including Cory Joseph. If so, we're not likely to reach the next level next year, Tubby or no Tubby.

While you can argue Tubby has been perfectly clear in his statements, the truth is he has allowed these rumors to fester. For what reason? Who knows. But he has let them continue. See Billy Donovan if you want an example of how to put them out swiftly. At this point I just want off the carrosel one way or the other.

Good lord this is getting annoying and hurting the team and players.

Stay or go but make a decision UGH!

I tried to warn you guys. The backlash is already starting towards members of this forum that dare question.

FWIW I've heard zero about Ga. Tech (and I didn't hear whatever Gottlieb said) coming from people I know that would be considered credible. I do know that Hewitt wants out in Atlanta and they're more than happy to oblige him. He's not that good of a coach and he'll be getting his butt kicked by Mark Fox with lesser talent regularly if he doesn't flee to New York.

I will say this though and this is all speculation on my part with ZERO backing of any source: Ga Tech would be appealing to Coach Smith I think. In the ACC, huge recruiting base in Atlanta, all of his contacts in Georgia and the Southeast and a chance to beat Maryland every year. No matter what Tubby says, I've always felt that Lefty pulling his scholarship is still chapping his backside all these years later. I still think he stays at Minnesota though.

Pretty simple English that even people who elected Jesse Ventura Governor and Al Franken Senator can understand.

Hey What's that suppose to mean?

I tried to warn you guys. The backlash is already starting towards members of this forum that dare question.

FWIW I've heard zero about Ga. Tech (and I didn't hear whatever Gottlieb said) coming from people I know that would be considered credible. I do know that Hewitt wants out in Atlanta and they're more than happy to oblige him. He's not that good of a coach and he'll be getting his butt kicked by Mark Fox with lesser talent regularly if he doesn't flee to New York.

I will say this though and this is all speculation on my part with ZERO backing of any source: Ga Tech would be appealing to Coach Smith I think. In the ACC, huge recruiting base in Atlanta, all of his contacts in Georgia and the Southeast and a chance to beat Maryland every year. No matter what Tubby says, I've always felt that Lefty pulling his scholarship is still chapping his backside all these years later. I still think he stays at Minnesota though.

FWIW there's talk that Ga. Tech does not have huge $$ to spend on this hire and will look mid-major because of it. But much like Tubby won't leave just because of money, he might go to Ga. Tech even if he has to take a pay cut, I suppose.

Tubby says:

Minnesota basketball coach Tubby Smith said ... "I'm not a candidate for any other job.''

Smith ... "there's no truth to it'' that he's interested in leaving Minnesota.

Pretty simple English that even people who elected Jesse Ventura Governor and Al Franken Senator can understand.

Nick Saban says, "I'm not going to be the Alabama head coach"

Tubby Smith said he would be back at Kentucky.

It happens, these guys are head coaches. Those statements aren't significant to disprove any rumors. Your inside info might be, but not those very public statements. I agree with you on the Ventura and Franken comments. How can you elect those idiots?

Now in a more serious vein. The media needs stories. The national media love Tubby and have for a long time. I have no doubt most of them would prefer having him appear somewhere other than Minnesota. Please remember that "legitimate" media of the 21st Century engages in making news as well as reporting it. From the fans' perspective, we'd best get used to the rumors. I imagine almost every program with a high-profile coach gets that in some way, be it other schools or NBA. It goes on all the time, why would it torpedo our recruiting any more than it does other schools? Besides, we know now, repeatedly, what Tubby said about being a candidate for any other job. How can he put it more clearly? Why do so many choose to put more stock in a reporter than in our own coach?

Where would Sampson go? He isn't going to sit out a year and won't get drafted either

Well, seeing that Sampson is from Duluth, a suburb of Atlanta and was recruited by GA Tech. YOU DO THE MATH

FWIW there's talk that Ga. Tech does not have huge $$ to spend on this hire and will look mid-major because of it. But much like Tubby won't leave just because of money, he might go to Ga. Tech even if he has to take a pay cut, I suppose.

1) Hewitt was set to make HUGE money from Ga Tech. That now comes off the books. I think they'll have money to pay a big coach.

2) Tubby took a pay cut to come to Minnesota.

3) Tubby has talked on the record in the past about loving his time in Georgia. Donna has talked about liking Georgia. Saul graduated from high school in Georgia and played his AAU ball in Atlanta and has many, many friends there.

Howeda - I'm with you. If Tubby stays, great. If he ends up leaving, then so be it. We'll attract a good coach who will inherit a pretty good nucleus of players who can coach them up. I was on that boat already last spring, and I'm a big Tubby guy.

Why do so many choose to put more stock in a reporter than in our own coach?

Because coaches aren't going to just come out and say "Yep, I am looking at other coaching positions and plan to move in the next week or two."

Not that I expect Tubby to move, but most head coaches aren't going to say that they are interested in another position. They nearly always say they aren't interested and are going to return next year.

I have no idea regarding the truth or falsity to any of these rumors, but I'll just repeat what I've said a million times. ...

I would much rather have a coach that big-time programs find desirable for their head coaching job as opposed to one who only a school from the Big West wants. This is the nature of the business. We have to deal with it, for better or worse. Am hoping Tubby stays, no doubt, but if he leaves this program is in much, much, much, much better shape than when Tubby inherited it.

I just don't think Tubby is leaving or this is even worth worrying about.

I would presume, for those who are anxious, that Tubby will be at the boys State tourney today. I expect someone will get a quote or two from him about any new rumors.

Well, seeing that Sampson is from Duluth, a suburb of Atlanta and was recruited by GA Tech. YOU DO THE MATH

You may be right, but I see the math differently: 1>0. That's the number of years he would have to sit out if he transfers vs. staying here. He may think long and hard about it, but I can't see him wanting to sit out. IF Tubby leaves, I'm assuming we'll get a quality coach who can recruit a little bit -- including our own returning players.

1) Hewitt was set to make HUGE money from Ga Tech. That now comes off the books. I think they'll have money to pay a big coach.

2) Tubby took a pay cut to come to Minnesota.

3) Tubby has talked on the record in the past about loving his time in Georgia. Donna has talked about liking Georgia. Saul graduated from high school in Georgia and played his AAU ball in Atlanta and has many, many friends there.

Howeda - I'm with you. If Tubby stays, great. If he ends up leaving, then so be it. We'll attract a good coach who will inherit a pretty good nucleus of players who can coach them up. I was on that boat already last spring, and I'm a big Tubby guy.

Regarding (2) above, Tubby leaving UK would have been a pay cut going almost anywhere. He was among the Top 5 Highest Paid coaches in Div I with his 2003 contract renewal there. Almost $3 million per, I think it was. Calipari makes $4 million per, there now.

1) Hewitt was set to make HUGE money from Ga Tech. QUOTE]

Not so much. $1.35 mil isn't what is used to be.

That's true. In theory if Hewitt goes to St. Johns he/they to pay GT a buyout. But I think it's assumed everyone waive that, since they'd get out of having to buy him out if they want to fire him and it seems to be a mutual parting. $1.35 million isn't bad, but it'd still be a 30% paycut for Tubby. And I understand GT is still paying off football stadium renovations and doesn't have huge $$ to spend on this hire. That said, I don't think Tubby will leave just for the money, and I also don't think he'll stay just for the money.

That's true. In theory if Hewitt goes to St. Johns he/they to pay GT a buyout. But I think it's assumed everyone waive that, since they'd get out of having to buy him out if they want to fire him and it seems to be a mutual parting. $1.35 million isn't bad, but it'd still be a 30% paycut for Tubby. And I understand GT is still paying off football stadium renovations and doesn't have huge $$ to spend on this hire. That said, I don't think Tubby will leave just for the money, and I also don't think he'll stay just for the money.

I agree. It isn't like Auburn who was going to have to bust the bank to get Tubby. Tubby makes $1.8m here. It isn't beyond the realm to think GT could scrap together a few extra hundred thousand dollars to what Hewitt was scheduled to make, to offer up a deal at $1.7m. If Tubby is intent on getting back to the warmer climate at a place he won't have to rebuild that already has a new practice facility, in a conference he covets, then money won't play a factor in this specific case. Money could be pretty close either way. It really comes down to whether Tubby wants to be here in MSP or there in Atlanta (in this specific case).

I read an little blog post this morning from the AJC..

Regarding being able to pay a coach, apparently, either they have a KFAN in New York, because they just make sh-t up or they don't have money to pay a coach and could be looking for a mid-major guy..

Read at your own discretion and keep in mind it could be complete BS.

A New York paper yesterday quoted Georgia Tech athletics director Dan Radakovich as telling 790AM the Zone that basketball coach Paul Hewitt had a “golden contract.” It also paraphrased him saying that if Hewitt were to leave for St. John’s, Tech’s next coach would come from a mid-major college because of the Institute’s financial constraints.

The issue is Radakovich didn’t appear on 790AM, nor did he say those things.

Hewitt did meet with St. John’s athletic director Tuesday evening, a few hours after Radakovich gave the Storm permission to talk to Hewitt, but no details have been made available. Hewitt is not in his office at Georgia Tech and the voice mailbox on his cell phone is full. A spokesman for St. John’s declined to comment Wednesday morning.

The same New York paper reported earlier this week that Hewitt, Florida’s Billy Donovan and Virginia Tech’s Seth Greenberg were the Storm’s leading candidates. Donovan reportedly turned down an offer of $3 million a year.

Hewitt is from the New York area and is known as an outstanding recruiter who could tap into the wealth of talent in the New York area.

However, he has said that he and his family are happy in Atlanta and aren’t looking to leave.

Hewitt is 177-144 at Tech, including 67-93 in the ACC.

Tubby would need to rebuild at Ga. Tech.

????

Even if Favors goes pro (which he will), there is a ton of talent returning.

They have seven 4-star players on the roster next year without Favors.

This is a team that won an NCAA tourney game last week, made it to the ACC finals the week before and won 23 games overall this season with some recent past success (a national title game appearance within the last decade).

There might be some challenges (team is young, etc.), but this in no way is a rebuilding job.

A rebuilding job is what he walked into here...9 wins the year before with no recent history of any success. A rebuliding job is DePaul, Iowa, St. John's, Auburn. Ga Tech is not in that boat, not close, in fact.

Lawal is gone, Shumpert might be, Peacock is graduation, Favors is gone. That is the top 4 scorers on a 7-9 team. And they only have one player signed for next year. No wonder Hewitt wants out. Keep in mind Ga Tech only won 12 games last year.

Lawal is gone, Shumpert might be, Peacock is graduation, Favors is gone. That is the top 4 scorers on a 7-9 team. And they only have one player signed for next year. No wonder Hewitt wants out. Keep in mind Ga Tech only won 12 games last year.

Shumpert might be back. As I said they will be young, but they are tremendously talented. Those young kids are ready to roll. This is not a long-term rebuild like Iowa, DePaul, and the others who have few talented players. The GT roster is littered with talent. I'd bet they are in NCAA tourney contention no matter who coaches them next year.

And, they won 12 games last year because they were hit hard by early departures to the NBA the previous two years. They'll have another (maybe two) early departures this year, but there is now some talent coming back, young as it may be. The one player they have signed is a 4-star stud, btw.

Again, they will have seven 4-star players on the team next year. That is three more than Minnesota will have.

Any coach would be lucky to walk into an NCAA team with a roster of seven 4-star players returning and have it considered a rebuilding job.

Marcus Tweets:

Are the dominoes starting to fall into place for Tubby to G-Tech? -- http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5022571 about 4 hours ago via web

I was told that Gophers assistant coach Vince Taylor is expected to interview for head-coaching jobs at UNC-Wilmington and UNC-Charlotte. about 14 hours ago via web

Top Bottom