EMBARRASSING

Wrong again.

I enjoy discussion with many people who are critical of Tubby. I have been before myself.

You (and others) continue to believe you have been sent here by a higher power to do the bidding of the great men who don't accept mediocrity and are persecuted for this by the heathens of Gopherhole.

When it is now and always has been because you act like 4 year olds. End of story.

scher once again pegs BBurner and owns him. +10000 to scher's post

goldengophers said:
Shaka
Jacobson
Miles
Flip

I wouldn't be mad if it was Flip, but I think he is the biggest risk. Shaka would be a grand slam for the win.

Jacobson or Miles would be a roll of the dice, but not terrible options.

Hugs Stan.

Another who hides in the corner and ignores reality while the walls crumble around them......

I'm not sure who the other big mid major guys are. However, I think Brad Stevens stays put. Shaka smart maybe you can get or the coach of murray state maybe?

When players are starting to question the coach publicly, blaming each other, the coach seems to be out of it. You need to start to wonder.

Smart would be my dream hire though, even if he is from Madison.

The thing I am most terrified of is losing Andre. He is easily, by far, my favorite Gopher. No matter what you do with the coach, make sure they can keep Dre. Whether it is Tubby or someone else. I'd hate to see him go.

"even if he is from Madison." What the hell is that supposed to mean?

BigGopherFan said:
"even if he is from Madison." What the hell is that supposed to mean?

He's from Madison, Wisconsin and I still like him to coach the Minnesota Gophers? Sorry?

They can't afford the buyout. Put the buyout money- if they do have it- toward the practice facility. Make a deal with Saunders to become assit. head coach and successor to Tubby in two years. The town would be buzzing and the players would love it. I'm not saying that's the best coaching move they can make but it's the best they can probably do to pull a rabbit out of the hat here.

It's $2 million. If we're really in a position where that's dictating everything, we're hopeless. And as nice as the idea of Flip taking an assistant job is, neither man is going to go for that. They both have egos.

goldengophers said:
Oh ok, we know to not take you seriously.

You listed Shaka on your list too. What's your point?

Many don't like "Badgers" coaching the Gophers. Smart was born in raised in Madison. I said I don't care that he's from Madison, I'd still love for him to be the coach here. What is the big deal?

bleedsmaroonandgold said:
Scher's one of the guys on this board I take most seriously. I like a healthy distrust of stuff that comes out of Madison. That's where the Badgers come from.

Exactly. And he was named second team all-badger conference as a player. That's alarming.

However, he seems like a trustworthy guy and not a follower of grinch basketball. Would love to have him as a coach and he really does play run and gun and would have a great shot at keeping our current talent/recruits.

It's $2 million. If we're really in a position where that's dictating everything, we're hopeless. And as nice as the idea of Flip taking an assistant job is, neither man is going to go for that. They both have egos.

Howeda - they both have egos but Flip has come back to supporting the U time and again. I'm not sure Tubby bleeds maroon and gold but I'm pretty sure Flip does. The ego that should concern you is Smith's. They need to demand that he makes major changes or they need to move on. Status quo won't work anymore, so stubborn and egotistical can't be an option.

You listed Shaka on your list too. What's your point?

Many don't like "Badgers" coaching the Gophers. Smart was born in raised in Madison. I said I don't care that he's from Madison, I'd still love for him to be the coach here. What is the big deal?

My mistake, you're right.

They can't afford the buyout. Put the buyout money- if they do have it- toward the practice facility. Make a deal with Saunders to become assit. head coach and successor to Tubby in two years. The town would be buzzing and the players would love it. I'm not saying that's the best coaching move they can make but it's the best they can probably do to pull a rabbit out of the hat here.

Sorry I'm a little slow. Don't extend doesn't mean you have to buyout.

Howeda - they both have egos but Flip has come back to supporting the U time and again. I'm not sure Tubby bleeds maroon and gold but I'm pretty sure Flip does. The ego that should concern you is Smith's. They need to demand that he makes major changes or they need to move on. Status quo won't work anymore, so stubborn and egotistical can't be an option.

I agree that Tubby's ego is the bigger concern, but I don't think Flip's first, second or third choice for his next job is as a college assistant. If you want Flip, fire Tubby and hire Flip. If the $2 million is a concern, Flip will probably take a minimal salary the first couple years (as it just comes out of his Wizzards $$ anyway.)

:confused: Hire a 60 yo with no relevant recruiting experience, no AAU contacts, who runs an offense so complex many NBA players can't figure it out? Think how great this dynamic would be for team chemistry...."Listen up guys cause I'm the coach! Unless you guys decide to undermine me because Flip's over there hovering, so I guess you can all just do what you like because I can't have any of you mad at me". Would you run your business like that? Nope, like you said last week we're stuck with Tubby through next year so let's try to support him, even if it hurts right now.

Minnesconsin fan said:
add Saul Phillips from NDSU--young energetic and hardworking. The Wisconsin roots will turn off some people but I don't mind.

What has Saul Phillips done besides taking a team of fifth year seniors to one NCAA game a few years ago?

That might be a tough deal to make.

Question is: Are we getting to the point where we can't afford NOT TO MAKE THE BUYOUT?

It'd be a death sentence for the program. No coach in his right mind would take the job. No practice facility & a HOF coach gets run off after 4 years? How long does an young mid-major guy get...2 years? Who would want the job?

I agree that Tubby's ego is the bigger concern, but I don't think Flip's first, second or third choice for his next job is as a college assistant. If you want Flip, fire Tubby and hire Flip. If the $2 million is a concern, Flip will probably take a minimal salary the first couple years (as it just comes out of his Wizzards $$ anyway.)

Flip will probably take a minimal salary? Really? For the first couple years? How many years do you think Flip would be here, he's damn near 60 already.

It'd be a death sentence for the program. No coach in his right mind would take the job. No practice facility & a HOF coach gets run off after 4 years? How long does an young mid-major guy get...2 years? Who would want the job?

agreed

-1000. Scher215 and Stan plus DPtroll (not so proficient) disinformation agents for Tubby, Donna, Saul and Joe E.

:confused: Hire a 60 yo with no relevant recruiting experience, no AAU contacts, who runs an offense so complex many NBA players can't figure it out? Think how great this dynamic would be for team chemistry...."Listen up guys cause I'm the coach! Unless you guys decide to undermine me because Flip's over there hovering, so I guess you can all just do what you like because I can't have any of you mad at me". Would you run your business like that? Nope, like you said last week we're stuck with Tubby through next year so let's try to support him, even if it hurts right now.

I suggested Flip as an assistant with the idea that he would take over in a few years. I am supporting Tubby - beyond what he has earned and yes it does hurt. I know this much about business CRG: If I had a product that people were saying they didn't like very much anymore and I had announced I was increasing the price dramatically (because I had to in order to cover costs -think non-rev sports here) I would sure want to do something to spruce my product up immediately. If I didn't I might lose all many of my loyal customers-for good.

I don't know if you were there today but this is not a hand that we can stand pat on. Something has to change. If you don't like the Flip idea what else do you suggest?

Flip will probably take a minimal salary? Really? For the first couple years? How many years do you think Flip would be here, he's damn near 60 already.

He might. His deal with the Wizzards deducts anything he makes from what they have to pay him, unless he reaches a buyout with them. So whether the U pays him $2 million or $500K he's basically working for free either way. If working for $500K will help them out, he would probably do it under those circumstances.

FWIW, I am not in the 'Flip will solve everything' camp. But there doesn't seem to be a right answer. Giving Tubby one more year seems less palatable with each passing day and giving Time Miles or Ben Jacobson a 7-year deal done by Dithering Joel is not ideal either. If Flip is as filled with Gopher love as others seem to think and will take a reasonable 3-4 year deal, giving him a shot may be the best of several bad options.

I'm not really a Tubby supporter, but what would this team be with Trevor and Mo? Big IF, but thats what they expected to have!!!!!

He might. His deal with the Wizzards deducts anything he makes from what they have to pay him, unless he reaches a buyout with them. So whether the U pays him $2 million or $500K he's basically working for free either way. If working for $500K will help them out, he would probably do it under those circumstances.

FWIW, I am not in the 'Flip will solve everything' camp. But there doesn't seem to be a right answer. Giving Tubby one more year seems less palatable with each passing day and giving Time Miles or Ben Jacobson a 7-year deal done by Dithering Joel is not ideal either. If Flip is as filled with Gopher love as others seem to think and will take a reasonable 3-4 year deal, giving him a shot may be the best of several bad options.

I honestly think he might be willing to assist Tubby for a dollar next year. This is his last chance to coach the Gophers. Tubby is tired- let's face it he doesn't want to do this much longer. However, he has a lot of pride and I think he wants one more winner. If he thought that Flip could take the pressure off of him and help him get through this- I think he might do it. Meanwhile Saunders could go to work trying to help recruit the next two classes - classes that would be his players when Tubby exits in a year or two. Listening to him on the radio the other day I picked up about 5 times the enthusiasm and energy that I hear in Tubby. I also think he would be willing to be head coach for nothing next year and let the U pay Tubby off. Either way, I think this is the best shot in the arm that the program could get right now.

If we let Tubby recruit these next two classes we are toast.

bga1 said:
I honestly think he might be willing to assist Tubby for a dollar next year. This is his last chance to coach the Gophers. Tubby is tired- let's face it he doesn't want to do this much longer. However, he has a lot of pride and I think he wants one more winner. If he though that Flip could take the pressure off of him and help him get through this- I think he might do it. Meanwhile Saunders could go to work trying to help recruit the next two classes - classes that would be his players when Tubby exits in a year or two. Listening to him on the radio the other day I picked up about 5 times the enthusiasm and energy that I hear in Tubby. I also think he would be willing to coach for nothing next year and let the U pay Tubby off. Either way, I think this is the best shot in the arm that the program could get right now.

If the U plays it right, your could work well.

Have flip help tubby get one more winning season, he leaves on a high note. Flip carries that momentum for 2-4 years and advances the U further. Then bring in your young up and comer to take that momentum and sustain it for the long haul.

Just have to get the timing of changes down, get some luck, and hire the right long term coach.

Top Bottom