EMBARRASSING

Flip will probably take a minimal salary? Really? For the first couple years? How many years do you think Flip would be here, he's damn near 60 already.

He's 57. He appears to want the job and he knows full well that this job cannot be done without a big recruiting effort. I'd take an 8 year run if he really wants to do it for the right reasons.

If the U plays it right, your could work well.

Have flip help tubby get one more winning season, he leaves on a high note. Flip carries that momentum for 2-4 years and advances the U further. Then bring in your young up and comer to take that momentum and sustain it for the long haul.

Just have to get the timing of changes down, get some luck, and hire the right long term coach.

Exactly and by then, maybe our next AD will be competent and we will have facilities to match any in the Big 10.

Tubby would never hire Flip. Case closed. His ego is way too big. Flip doesn't want to be an assistant. Let's talk reality here. Not going to happen.

Tubby would never hire Flip. Case closed. His ego is way too big. Flip doesn't want to be an assistant. Let's talk reality here. Not going to happen.

You are probably right. Just dreaming out loud a little.

I know that I don't post here very often, but I for one am sick and tired of this "What If" debate. This season is no longer a case of "What If"s, but rather "what-happened"s. This team has been rattled by injuries and transfers over the past few years, which has crushed the basketball program. I was as embarassed as everyone else after this loss today, but the additional loss of Welch set an already young and inexperienced team up for failure. I don't necessarily want to go out and give Tubby an big extension, but I definitely think he is our best option right now and we need to support this team during these tough times. I feel as though we do have a potentially good, young and talented core, and I am still excited for the future. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Go Gophers.

I know that I don't post here very often, but I for one am sick and tired of this "What If" debate. This season is no longer a case of "What If"s, but rather "what-happened"s. This team has been rattled by injuries and transfers over the past few years, which has crushed the basketball program. I was as embarassed as everyone else after this loss today, but the additional loss of Welch set an already young and inexperienced team up for failure. I don't necessarily want to go out and give Tubby an big extension, but I definitely think he is our best option right now and we need to support this team during these tough times. I feel as though we do have a potentially good, young and talented core, and I am still excited for the future. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Go Gophers.

That light you see at the end of the tunnel is a train heading right for you.

+1

minngg said:
That light you see at the end of the tunnel is a train heading right for you.

How have you not been banned yet? I've seen 2 year olds more mature than you.

Prepare for a really weak Fall 2012 recruiting class that Tubby will attempt to sign prior to the season. He will have to recruit under the cloud of being a hot seat coach who is in his 60's in the last year of his contract, who has just had two sub par seasons (full of bad luck I realize) and whose last two teams have gotten worse as the year wore on. Oh, and by his own admission, the facilities are outdated. Think you could recruit against that story if you are competing coach? He's not going to get through this without some help.

BTW, I agree that they have a nice young core that could get better and it could be that Tubby could coach them to a good year, I am having increasing difficulty seeing how he is going to recruit to where we are at.

What has Saul Phillips done besides taking a team of fifth year seniors to one NCAA game a few years ago?

In their first year of being eligible for the NCAA tourney. How easy was that situation to recruit to? A. we won't be eligible for a post-season tourney til your seniors.
B. it is Fargo ND
C. We take a bus to most of our away games.
D. It is Fargo ND

Prepare for a really weak Fall 2012 recruiting class that Tubby will attempt to sign prior to the season. He will have to recruit under the cloud of being a hot seat coach who is in his 60's in the last year of his contract, who has just had two sub par seasons (full of bad luck I realize) and whose last two teams have gotten worse as the year wore on. Oh, and by his own admission, the facilities are outdated. Think you could recruit against that story if you are competing coach? He's not going to get through this without some help.

BTW, I agree that they have a nice young core that could get better and it could be that Tubby could coach them to a good year, I am having increasing difficulty seeing how he is going to recruit to where we are at.
Do you mean 2013?

The only way it's a good thing is if they announce a practice facility in conjunction. Otherwise you're going to be playing in front of 8,000 for non-conference and 10,000 for B1G games and for what? I'd like to think they know what's needed, but nothing in the past few years suggests this.

We won't even have an AD until July 1. I predict they'll proceed with Tubby's extension and the ticket plan with no changes to the staff and no practice facility. Meanwhile, after the way the team quit today, there's no way there won't be a transfer or two. Next year could be scary.

I had to chuckle because the ground breaking for the new baseball stadium was announced on Sid and Dave this morning, who cares that with the state of the BB program they could be leaving 100k to 150k on the table per game. A couple of years with the additional revenue from BB you build the baseball stadium.

Without priorities you have a brand new baseball stadium where all 200-300 spectators will enjoy, and you will have 3000-4000 less at each of the basketball games partly because there is no practive facility. In the end every sport suffers.

jovs said:
I had to chuckle because the ground breaking for the new baseball stadium was announced on Sid and Dave this morning, who cares that with the state of the BB program they could be leaving 100k to 150k on the table per game. A couple of years with the additional revenue from BB you build the baseball stadium.

Without priorities you have a brand new baseball stadium where all 200-300 spectators will enjoy, and you will have 3000-4000 less at each of the basketball games partly because there is no practive facility. In the end every sport suffers.

EXACTLY!!!!!

Very well said. Thank you.

Do you mean 2013?

I mean this Fall of 2012 he's going to try and fill the scholarships that will be left open in 2013 by Welch, Ingram and Rodney. If 2013 recruiting as all done in 2013 after another season then it wouldn't be a problem as all Tubby would ahve to do is win next year. But the recruits that sign next fall won't be able to see that and most all of the good players sign in the fall. So what we saw today is what he has to sell off of.

In their first year of being eligible for the NCAA tourney. How easy was that situation to recruit to? A. we won't be eligible for a post-season tourney til your seniors.
B. it is Fargo ND
C. We take a bus to most of our away games.
D. It is Fargo ND

Incorrect. He didn't recruit those eventual 5th-year seniors. Tim Miles did. Phillips took over when those guys were juniors.

Since then, NDSU has gone 11–17, 14-15, and 17-12 this year. Not at horrible progression - except that they've currently lost 8 of their last 12 games and the natives are restless.

Anyway, he's not on many short lists. Certainly not the U of Minnesota's.

I honestly think he might be willing to assist Tubby for a dollar next year. This is his last chance to coach the Gophers. Tubby is tired- let's face it he doesn't want to do this much longer. However, he has a lot of pride and I think he wants one more winner. If he thought that Flip could take the pressure off of him and help him get through this- I think he might do it. Meanwhile Saunders could go to work trying to help recruit the next two classes - classes that would be his players when Tubby exits in a year or two. Listening to him on the radio the other day I picked up about 5 times the enthusiasm and energy that I hear in Tubby. I also think he would be willing to be head coach for nothing next year and let the U pay Tubby off. Either way, I think this is the best shot in the arm that the program could get right now.

If we let Tubby recruit these next two classes we are toast.

Coach-in-waiting situations rarely work out in the best of cases. In this case a 60-year-old known for his stubborn nature is supposed to smile and nod while he is forced to bring on a 57-year-old that will instantly be more popular than him? It's not going to happen.

If they want to go the Flip route they need to quietly find out through back-channels if he'll accept it as an interim basis or at least on a 3-4 year deal with low salary the first season or two. Otherwise it is tough to do with no AD. If he will, then go to Tubby and tell him you'd like him to bow out gracefully for 'health/family' reasons and you'll pay him the $1.5-2 million. He'll probably be willing to do so. This would be best for all parties (U, new AD, Flip and Tubby.) With Flip on an interim/short deal we're not handcuffing the new AD too badly if it doesn't work (which is a distinct possibility.)

The baseball stadium is too far along to re-arrange any priorities. But the new AD needs to have a clue. The practice facility is the first, last and only facility priority until it's done.

BarnBurner said:
NOw the lack of a practice facility is the reason for less and less fans in the seats!!

Priceless.

The point is, you invest in basketball to fund baseball. You don't fund all sports equally right away.

By investing in basketball you make it Competitive. Then it draws more fans which increases revenue. That increased revenue can go towards the baseball stadium.

Coach-in-waiting situations rarely work out in the best of cases. In this case a 60-year-old known for his stubborn nature is supposed to smile and nod while he is forced to bring on a 57-year-old that will instantly be more popular than him? It's not going to happen.

If they want to go the Flip route they need to quietly find out through back-channels if he'll accept it as an interim basis or at least on a 3-4 year deal with low salary the first season or two. Otherwise it is tough to do with no AD. If he will, then go to Tubby and tell him you'd like him to bow out gracefully for 'health/family' reasons and you'll pay him the $1.5-2 million. He'll probably be willing to do so. This would be best for all parties (U, new AD, Flip and Tubby.) With Flip on an interim/short deal we're not handcuffing the new AD too badly if it doesn't work (which is a distinct possibility.)

Purdue.

Yes, success at Purdue. And failure at OK State, Texas Tech and more. And this would be one that Tubby doesn't want with someone all of 3-4 years younger than him. It won't work. It's one or the other.

Yes, success at Purdue. And failure at OK State, Texas Tech and more. And this would be one that Tubby doesn't want with someone all of 3-4 years younger than him. It won't work. It's one or the other.

The others you mention were nepotism deals- those almost never work.

Top Bottom