Email to Strib Sports Editors RE: Jim Souhan

Gopher Bandanna Guy

Irascible Skeptic
Reaction score
Well after nearly 3 days and not a peep of a response from Mr. Souhan, I decided to fire off a inquiry to his editors/team leader, Glen Crevier, Dennis Brackin, and Michael Rand. Hopefully we'll see some level of accountability here, or at least a weak rationalization. It would seem Jim is no Chip Scoggins, who actually has the decency to address a civil detractor.

Sports Editors of the Star Tribune,

I felt obligated to contact you this week, as a follow up to a questioning email I sent to your columnist, Jim Souhan, on Monday morning (10/29/12). I’m looking for some type of explanation or rationale behind his latest Golden Gopher Football column titled ‘Nelson’s Quarterbacking Tools Didn’t Merit a Long Shelf Life’. The aforementioned email is listed in full below, as part of this forward. I contacted Mr. Souhan in the hopes that he could provide some additional explanation to an article I (and many others I’ve been in contact with) believe to be weakly researched or simply unfairly slanted as a misrepresentation of the reality of the situation. Mr. Souhan has not surprisingly, neglected to engage me in any type of conversation. So I come to you to help me understand why such a column was even approved for print.

I’m truly struggling with what passes for acceptable opinionated writing for print in the sports section of your newspaper. Never would I question any newspaper’s right to publish an article that views something in a critical light. And in fact I believe it to be healthy and necessary when reviewing the failures and successes of any sports team or program. But I also feel such heavy criticism should be based on facts and evidence, rather than simple conjecture. Mr. Souhan’s article clearly fails to actually investigate any of the underlying issues within the Gopher football program that have lead them to remove Philip Nelson’s redshirt and promote him to starting quarterback. I realize there is limited space in a column to perhaps fully express details, but this piece of writing forces a reader to nearly assume Mr. Souhan knows far more about the Gopher football program than anyone else. To an astute Gopher football fan, this article comes off as poorly researched and/or unnecessarily slanted. In my eyes, neither should be unacceptable. To the casual reader, it casts an undeserving negative light on a man who still isn’t even 2 years into his tenure as head coach of the Minnesota Golden Gopher football program.

To close, I’d just like to say that your continued employment of writers like Jim Souhan further pushes me away from your newspaper and website, as well as your advertisers. If lazy and unfair sports journalism is something you pride your newspaper in supplying, then by all means carry on. But if you care at all about your customers and readers, think twice about letting weakly researched articles off your collective desks. I don’t implore you to push Mr. Souhan to respond to me personally, but I do implore you to provide me with a reasonable explanation as to why you would allow writing like this at the Star Tribune.

Thank you for your time,

Jon Tortomasi

Awesome that you're following this up and all, but if the editors gave a damn about Souhan's poor/lazy research they'd have gotten rid of him long ago.
He pumps out stories. Not good ones, or well written ones, not thoughtful ones or interesting ones, just mass. That's all they care about, filling the page.
Any other conclusion from his continued employment is false, because he probably hasn't actually watched a gopher football game in 20 years, and probably never live.

keep it up, Bandana Guy. Love your fortitude.

While the sentiment is great and most Gopher fans in here agree with you, you have to know that your reaction is exactly what they are looking for from Souhan's columns. Guys like Souhan, Reusse get paid to be opinionated and get people riled up. They want us talking about their column and hanigng on their every word. Sure some of us here might go away from the stories and not come back but it won't be enough to have any lasting impact on the paper or Souhan. As long as people keep clicking on the stories and buying the papers he will keep on doign what he is doing and getting paid to do it.

Love your spirit, Bandana guy...but you do realize the best way to show your distaste is to not read the articles? I'm sure this Souhan article is off the charts with clicks...and that's how you make $. If people weren't reading his articles there would be an issue...but that's not the case.

Of course both MNVCGUY and GopherLady are correct. And I'm not naive enough to believe that this letter will change them and doesn't have them panting with the excitement of all the traffic Souhan's rubbish column has received.

Honestly, I'm most interested in getting someone to attempt to defend, explain, or rationalize this kind of ridiculous writing to me. If an editor comes back to me with, "Well, we like Jim to write stuff like this because it stirs people up" I accept that, but then they've admitted that Souhan is nothing more than the guy who rolls the grenade in the room and walks away. And sometimes that room has volatiles like me, stored in there.

So - Strib editors, if you are gleefully tracking the Gopherhole discussions of Souhan's lastest tripe, please note that clicks are nice and so is ad revenue, but reputation and decency sell papers too.

Unless someone mentions something pretty profound coming from Souhan, personally I do not bother reading him any more.

I'd consider making it shorter. My guess is that the editors get a lot of emails and one that long their eyes will glaze over and they'll hit delete before reading the first line.

Last I checked, Souhan doesn't work for us. Can't believe this article has gotten everyone so riled up. If the StarTribune wants Souhan out, they'll fire him.

Last I checked, Souhan doesn't work for us. Can't believe this article has gotten everyone so riled up. If the StarTribune wants Souhan out, they'll fire him.

Too bad he doesn't so GH Admin could BAN him!!! :drink:

Clearly I'm wearing people out with this topic, but in the spirit of closure (and disclosure), I did get this response back from Assistant Managing Editor Glen Crevier:

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:14 PM
To: Tortomasi, Jon
Subject: RE: Lazy or slanted? Help, I can't tell!

Jon: Thanks for your note. Obviously, both you and Jim are entitled to your opinions about Gophers football. It is worth noting, however, that at the press conference following the game, Jim asked Jerry Kill why he had not played Nelson earlier and Kill replied: “You just don’t know what will happen. I will always be second guessing. If I was sitting out there, I would be asking the same question.’’

While you may disagree with the tone and premise of the column, it was certainly a legitimate topic to purse. Even the coach agreed.

Glen

Glen Crevier
Assistant Managing Editor/Sports
The Star Tribune
425 Portland Ave.
Minneapolis, MN. 55488

My followup (tired of me yet? ;) )

Glen,

Very much appreciate your response, and certainly we are all free to have our own opinions about Gopher football. My position is that it appears you’ve got staff opining on Gopher football, without any real pursuit of information of which could be used to formulate a meaningful opinion. Please note that I never took issue with the premise of the column (in fact it’s an excellent question to investigate), but rather the shallow conclusions it draws based on minimal presentation of fact. Mr. Souhan’s position was that either Kill was overly desperate to make a bowl game, or poor evaluator of talent. A rather black and white statement to make without much data or fact to present.
“If you were intent on saving Nelson's four years of eligibility for the future, then removing his redshirt after six games of this season in an attempt to qualify for a low-tier bowl game is an act of desperation, even if it turned out well Saturday.”
“If you were keeping Nelson on the bench as a result of talent evaluation, then we have to wonder if Kill spends practice time holding bake sales to help him buy his way out of games against North Carolina.”

These two sentences that are the basis of Mr. Souhan’s criticism of Kill contain no discussion or exploration of how either position might be true (or false, or a least a little more gray than the black and white presented). And while Kill’s response to the question posed to him in the post-game press-conference, may have been less than enlightening, why not find a way to follow-up. Perhaps a call to OC Matt Limegrover, or QB Coach Jim Zebrowski to get their take? You know, the actual people that work with both Kill and Philip Nelson daily since he got to campus, and aid in depth chart decisions. Were they available (and willing) to comment, they might have been able to shed some light on the very question asked of Kill. If Kill et al aren’t forthcoming on this issue, then certainly that alone becomes wide open for criticism. But perhaps I don’t understand how the Gophers handle the media. Maybe they don’t allow Limegrover or Zebrowski to even be available for comment or a quick phone call. Educate me then. Maybe I’m way off base here. But please don’t patronize me with a response as elementary as “well, Jim asked the question, what more do you want?”. And if that single question satisfied you, might I inquire as to why it wasn’t asked immediately following the Wisconsin game. There’s been a week between Wisconsin and Purdue to dig a bit and get some answers. But strangely, it took an entire week and a resounding Big 10 win for Mr. Souhan to actually develop some nuanced questions that might get Kill to expand on this topic.

In the end, I’m simply looking for an explanation as to why so little research appears to have been done when formulating a rather accusatory opinion. If Mr. Souhan’s legwork and research was acceptable to you, or is more extensive than presented to the public, then say so. As it stands, your response is rather disappointing and condescending to any educated reader.

Thanks for your time,
Jon Tortomasi

This is likely the end of the dialogue. Mercifully perhaps, and I'm self-aware enough to understand this topic has run its course with a lot of people. I've said my peace, and expressed it to the powers that be. I wanted an explanation, and I got a limp-wristed one. Nobody should be surprised here. I'm certainly not.

One distinction I don't think you made in this is the difference between the columnist and the beat writer. The beat writer is the one charged with doing the reasearch and really digging into the topic. The columnist stays much more on the surface of the issue. They make bold statements and use loose facts to put something out there that is going to stir up emotion in the readers both positive and negative. They are not worried about getting to the bottom of things because that is not what they are paid to do. Again love em or hate em their job is to be interesting and controversial in the end they don't have to be right.

Let's all just stop clicking on Souhan and Reusse articles - that's a start!!!

Try to view them more like National Enquirer or People Magazine writers - they are just trying to be entertainers. Most of the columnists in this town just try to stir the pot to get readership or clicks (same thing with Danny B.). Their job is like Tom Barnard - entertainment. Don't read anything into their insight into sports. They have none. They couldn't tell you the names of more than 3 players on the starting roster.

One distinction I don't think you made in this is the difference between the columnist and the beat writer. The beat writer is the one charged with doing the reasearch and really digging into the topic. The columnist stays much more on the surface of the issue. They make bold statements and use loose facts to put something out there that is going to stir up emotion in the readers both positive and negative. They are not worried about getting to the bottom of things because that is not what they are paid to do. Again love em or hate em their job is to be interesting and controversial in the end they don't have to be right.

This is a very fair point, and one I've considered. I thought perhaps Glen Crevier would go with that position upon seeing his email hit my inbox.

Heard souhan say he has gotten more emails about the article than Gopher fans attending the game. What a hack.

Heard souhan say he has gotten more emails about the article than Gopher fans attending the game. What a hack.

Then he is right at home, like a pig eating slop in a $hitstorm.

Let's just beat Michigan and shut the critics up for a week. Or would they dare to write another crummy article after a win against the Wolverines?

I agree that there is a distinction between a beat writer and an opinion columnist. Newspaper writers (at least in the past) treated the responsibility of providing quality information as a solemn duty. So, while the difference between writing to provide information while avoiding adding commentary, and writing an opinion piece is vast, journalistic integrity should not be thrown out the window.

I've beaten this drum since I first joined this board. I truly appreciate both positive and negative writing about my favorite football team, but I will no abide by uninformed opinion.

Reading Souhan for an informed opinion on U of M teams is like getting an opinion on treating a dread disease from an auto mechanic.

Let's all just stop clicking on Souhan and Reusse articles - that's a start!!!

Try to view them more like National Enquirer or People Magazine writers - they are just trying to be entertainers. Most of the columnists in this town just try to stir the pot to get readership or clicks (same thing with Danny B.). Their job is like Tom Barnard - entertainment. Don't read anything into their insight into sports. They have none. They couldn't tell you the names of more than 3 players on the starting roster.

Spot on! I made the same suggestion to stop clicking on their articles in another Souhan thread. If no one reads them, they'll go away. It's that simple. Some dumbazz quipped what next, burn all books. No, just burn the hacks who make a career of burning others. Phil and Chip are good and are the one's to click on.

The Star Tribune has written many many many positive articles this fall about the team. I want the columnists to ask questions. Why would I want to buy a paper that is just a propaganda piece for the athletic department? Sid has been a consistent propaganda blow hard for years. They have to have writers that have differing point of views. There is nothing wrong with that. Give it up and move on. Who cares. Every other team in the Big Ten has media people questioning their programs.

Spot on! I made the same suggestion to stop clicking on their articles in another Souhan thread. If no one reads them, they'll go away. It's that simple. Some dumbazz quipped what next, burn all books. No, just burn the hacks who make a career of burning others. Phil and Chip are good and are the one's to click on.

It's OK to use my name.

Exactly. Step one should be to never allow anyone on this board to provide a link to either soupcan's or fat pat's articles. If someone does they are warned, if they do it a second time they are on probation, a third time results in banning. I would love to see this happen. An immediate drop in these two bums readership and a message to the star tribune that their type of writing isn't wanted.

Exactly. Step one should be to never allow anyone on this board to provide a link to either soupcan's or fat pat's articles. If someone does they are warned, if they do it a second time they are on probation, a third time results in banning. I would love to see this happen. An immediate drop in these two bums readership and a message to the star tribune that their type of writing isn't wanted.

Seriously? Number one, keeping the small number of people on this board from clicking on the links isn't going to make a material difference in their numbers. Their Star Tribune's readership is far wider than people on GopherHole. Number two, you sound like a fascist. You really want to ban people from this forum for reading something on another site?

That would be wrong. They would need to placed on Double Secret Probation.

Top Bottom