Elijah Hawkins Commits to Gophers!

to quote Animal House:

"We need the dudes, man!"

It will be interesting to see what happens with the last remaining scholarship.

I am not predicting that the Gophers are going to be a powerhouse, but if they can stay reasonably healthy, they should be better than last season. better guard plan can only help create space and opportunities for Payne, Garcia, etc.

to quote Animal House:

"We need the dudes, man!"

It will be interesting to see what happens with the last remaining scholarship.

I am not predicting that the Gophers are going to be a powerhouse, but if they can stay reasonably healthy, they should be better than last season. better guard plan can only help create space and opportunities for Payne, Garcia, etc.
I agree with you SON. While I am not super-optimistic about the overall record for this next season (we do still have a LOT of sophmores), it is not as dire as some have been postulating. Mr. Hawkins should help, and our overall guard depth picture now looks a whole lot better.

Great news. Two proven ball-handlers now with Mitchell and Hawkins. If Christie can provide solid minutes right away and Carrington makes the freshman-sophomore jump, we're in a significantly better spot than last year at the guard spots.

4 Turnovers a game is high, but he did have 6 assists/game last year. Glad to have another ballhandler. Going back to Coffey having to play the point, it feels like it's been a while since we've had two credible PG's.

4 Turnovers a game is high, but he did have 6 assists/game last year. Glad to have another ballhandler. Going back to Coffey having to play the point, it feels like it's been a while since we've had two credible PG's.
I'm not going to pretend like that is a good stat, but Howard had a pretty fast pace of play and the guy has a pretty high usage rate. I'm not making an excuse, but that kind of PG is just going to have way more TOs than the average PG. Very few PG play at that accelerated rate. Part of it is just simple math, Howard played about 6 more possessions per game than Minnesota and then you're also just more likely to commit a TO playing fast.

Again, I'm not defending the TOs and I'm sure there will be some head scratching moments with Mitchell next year. But you take the good with the bad, and he'll add more good to this team.

On a side note, Pepperdine also had a really fast pace of play. So I hope big Payne is getting his laps in this summer, he could get some easy buckets if he can keep up with those two.

I'm not going to pretend like that is a good stat, but Howard had a pretty fast pace of play and the guy has a pretty high usage rate. I'm not making an excuse, but that kind of PG is just going to have way more TOs than the average PG. Very few PG play at that accelerated rate. Part of it is just simple math, Howard played about 6 more possessions per game than Minnesota and then you're also just more likely to commit a TO playing fast.

Again, I'm not defending the TOs and I'm sure there will be some head scratching moments with Mitchell next year. But you take the good with the bad, and he'll add more good to this team.

On a side note, Pepperdine also had a really fast pace of play. So I hope big Payne is getting his laps in this summer, he could get some easy buckets if he can keep up with those two.
Think you meant to say Hawkins, but probably will happen with Mitchell also.

Well there we go. After 168 swings and misses, a single to right.
We can expect top 4 in B1G now, right?

Top Bottom