Elijah Hawkins Commits to Gophers!

I'm not going to pretend like that is a good stat, but Howard had a pretty fast pace of play and the guy has a pretty high usage rate. I'm not making an excuse, but that kind of PG is just going to have way more TOs than the average PG. Very few PG play at that accelerated rate. Part of it is just simple math, Howard played about 6 more possessions per game than Minnesota and then you're also just more likely to commit a TO playing fast.

Again, I'm not defending the TOs and I'm sure there will be some head scratching moments with Mitchell next year. But you take the good with the bad, and he'll add more good to this team.

On a side note, Pepperdine also had a really fast pace of play. So I hope big Payne is getting his laps in this summer, he could get some easy buckets if he can keep up with those two.
I would love to see the pace-of-play pick up this year. Last year was like watching Wisconsin basketball if it somehow managed to get even slower.

I'm more than OK with more TO's if they play at a faster pace.

YES-- Finally a point that can penetrate, dish and shoot. The gopher's offensive flow will look and be much better than the "lob the ball around offense" we were stuck with the last few years based on some player issues. Ben is starting to put together the pieces. We just need to have patients and some good health as it will eventually come together for coach Johnson. All the negative talk on this board regarding Coach is so sickening and disrespectful. There is one thread that Mods need to zap completely, as we don't need that BULL SHI blasting our coach. Just imagine all the trolls from Iowa, Wisconsin and others love and feed that tread constantly. I'm sure it harms our potential recruiting if recruits view our site. Go Hawkins Go Gophers

YES-- Finally a point that can penetrate, dish and shoot. The gopher's offensive flow will look and be much better than the "lob the ball around offense" we were stuck with the last few years based on some player issues. Ben is starting to put together the pieces. We just need to have patients and some good health as it will eventually come together for coach Johnson. All the negative talk on this board regarding Coach is so sickening and disrespectful. There is one thread that Mods need to zap completely, as we don't need that BULL SHI blasting our coach. Just imagine all the trolls from Iowa, Wisconsin and others love and feed that tread constantly. I'm sure it harms our potential recruiting if recruits view our site. Go Hawkins Go Gophers
I'm with you - let's see what's possible. Go Gophers!

I like the addition. Guards that can command the floor and push the pace of play were sorely needed, and his game should certainly help this team.

I like the addition. Guards that can command the floor and push the pace of play were sorely needed, and his game should certainly help this team.
I remember so many times last year where Payne worked to get a look in the lane and no one passed to him. This kid will do it. This is a very good pickup.

I remember so many times last year where Payne worked to get a look in the lane and no one passed to him. This kid will do it. This is a very good pickup.
He can work that handoff and roll pretty well already with a bigs at Howard. Really gets a nice bounce pass in the low post too

<We just need to have patients and some good health as it will eventually come together for coach Johnson.>

I think we need patience and fewer patients. Same concept. Good health is a key. Recovery of Parker Fox's elite athleticism is a key.

<We just need to have patients and some good health as it will eventually come together for coach Johnson.>

I think we need patience and fewer patients. Same concept. Good health is a key. Recovery of Parker Fox's elite athleticism is a key.
Well, with how many injuries we've had most of the team have been patients lol

Key to what? Where do you see Parker playing this season and how many minutes per game? I see him as a depth guy potentially spelling Garcia at the 4 and/or Payne at the 5. I'm anticipating Payne playing 30+ min/gm (depending on foul trouble). I'm also anticipating Garcia playing 30+ min/gm at the 4. I'm thinking Ihnen and JOJ can also spell Garcia at the 4. I hope for Fox's sake that he is healthy but overall I don't see him as a make or break guy for the Gophers this season. So basically I disagree that his recovery is key to the Gophers performance this upcoming season. My 2 cents.

9 players typically get 10+min/gm for most D1 teams. Here are my 9: Mitchell/Hawkins/Payne/Garcia/Carrington/JOJ/Ihnen/Betts/Christie. Fox COULD be in that mix but I doubt it. Also DO NOT want to see Wilson/Ramberg/Reader in those top 9. If they are, we will be 14th in the BIG again.

I would love to see the pace-of-play pick up this year. Last year was like watching Wisconsin basketball if it somehow managed to get even slower.

I'm more than OK with more TO's if they play at a faster pace.
To be fair, we only played seven (7) guys last year due to injuries which precluded us from playing at a faster pace.

I completely agree with the premise of your post, though. When you have a roster less talented than your competition, 40 minutes of relentless pressure on both ends of the court can help bridge that gap.

Shooting 46% from 3 at any level of competition is very impressive. Welcome aboard, young man!

To be fair, we only played seven (7) guys last year due to injuries which precluded us from playing at a faster pace.

I completely agree with the premise of your post, though. When you have a roster less talented than your competition, 40 minutes of relentless pressure on both ends of the court can help bridge that gap.

Shooting 46% from 3 at any level of competition is very impressive. Welcome aboard, young man!

Key to what? Where do you see Parker playing this season and how many minutes per game? I see him as a depth guy potentially spelling Garcia at the 4 and/or Payne at the 5. I'm anticipating Payne playing 30+ min/gm (depending on foul trouble). I'm also anticipating Garcia playing 30+ min/gm at the 4. I'm thinking Ihnen and JOJ can also spell Garcia at the 4. I hope for Fox's sake that he is healthy but overall I don't see him as a make or break guy for the Gophers this season. So basically I disagree that his recovery is key to the Gophers performance this upcoming season. My 2 cents.

9 players typically get 10+min/gm for most D1 teams. Here are my 9: Mitchell/Hawkins/Payne/Garcia/Carrington/JOJ/Ihnen/Betts/Christie. Fox COULD be in that mix but I doubt it. Also DO NOT want to see Wilson/Ramberg/Reader in those top 9. If they are, we will be 14th in the BIG again.
IF Fox is fully recovered he could perhaps play some valuable minutes backing up Payne and we go small.

I quote the Howard coach re: Hawkins: "In terms of his growth he did throw some passes to the
cheerleaders and that's OK. We knew he was going to be our guy and we were committed to him
no matter what. I want him to be reckless and I want him to take chances and I want him to be
who he is, because he's such a dynamic and electric player. If we're not allowing him to be him,
then we're cheating our team and the ability to maximize who we can become." He was quoted
in Blue Ribbon Yearbook, the gold standard of college basketball yearbooks. Bottom line, despite
a number of doubters, I think we have a real winner.

And I'm so sick of CBJ apologists knocking long time Gopher fans.

Coyle & Gabel showed an absolute disdain for long suffering basketball fans by hiring such an unqualified coach. Screw them!

I quote the Howard coach re: Hawkins: "In terms of his growth he did throw some passes to the
cheerleaders and that's OK. We knew he was going to be our guy and we were committed to him
no matter what. I want him to be reckless and I want him to take chances and I want him to be
who he is, because he's such a dynamic and electric player. If we're not allowing him to be him,
then we're cheating our team and the ability to maximize who we can become." He was quoted
in Blue Ribbon Yearbook, the gold standard of college basketball yearbooks. Bottom line, despite
I bet he’s a gym rat, too. 😂

Coyle & Gabel showed an absolute disdain for long suffering basketball fans by hiring such an unqualified coach. Screw them!
I would be sick of them, too, I suppose, if their numbers were even close to material. They are not. I would distinguish those who choose to be optimistic and what categorize as apologists. That doesn’t downgrade your point of the university thumbing it’s nose at long suffering supporters of mens basketball.

Very interested to see how much Ben lets Hawkins play like this. I for one am very excited for some lob dunks and alley-oops to Ola-Joseph and Payne.

Very interested to see how much Ben lets Hawkins play like this. I for one am very excited for some lob dunks and alley-oops to Ola-Joseph and Payne.
and Garcia, Betts, Ihnen just to name a couple. The 6’7” Christie can as well. I suspect these major game changers plus a defense since we have depth. Good solid depth. This will be a good team that is fun to watch. They can play fast and defend hard with this depth. PT for everyone please. Perhaps they redshirt Reader but he has a big upside. The sum of this team far exceeds the individuals. We may well have 4 or 5 on the 3 All conference teams. Garcia a lock on the first team.

Really good point guards seem to live (and thrive) on the edge. Sometimes you have to swallow a few WTF's to get a bunch of Holy Sh*ts!

Glad he is M/G!
He plays the game aggressively. Plus his coach at Howard encouraged that style which was a fit for Hawkins. TO's, assists and easy baskets are the result.

It will be interesting to see if Ben will reel him in or let him continue that style.

At this time, it appears that the Gophers will have decent depth at all positions. Will that allow Ben to open up, employ a more aggressive style and play 10 guys?

lol....another reference to the non-existent Johnson apologists.

And the only long time Gopher fans that get knocked around here are the ones who choose to dwell on the negative and refuse to even allow for the possibility that something good could happen.

For the most part those fans have been MIA in this thread....been a nice change of pace :)

Top Bottom