Dre Mathieu's teammate says Mathieu a Gopher!

Just saw this on Twitter, this really him? 5'10'' and can hop like this?

BJrnrR4CIAAkp4N.jpg

There is just about zero chance that Oto starts, let alone plays any relevant minutes. He is just too slow for Pitino's system..check that, he was too slow for Tubby's system, which is saying something. He is scared to death to miss every shot he takes, and his release is unbelievably slow. When it comes down to it, he isn't a Big Ten caliber player. I think Buggs is likely our starting PF next year in the circumstance Pitino doesn't bring anyone else in.

Didn't Oto play mostly SF for Tubby?

I just think early on Coach goes with experience.

This is going to be a tiny team, no doubt. Mo Walker isn't going to play any minutes, so EE better come to camp in shape.

I am a little baffled that we could possibly be taking in 3 guards under 6'4" after losing Mbakwe, Williams, and Ingram. It seems like we have an abundance of 2/3's.

We'd have 8 guys under 6'4".

Austin 6'4"
Joe 6'4"
Wally 6'4"
Allerik?? 6'4"
Daquein 6'3"
Maverick 6'2"
Dre H. 6'1"
Dre M. 5'9"
Absolutely need a buckles or a black to even our size up a bit.... We are definitely going to be undersized no matter what and likely will be going forward, that's my biggest concern with Pitino. However when he gets a couple recruiting cycles under his belt I'm guessing he will begin recruiting a bit more size....

He had some crazy rebounding numbers for a little guy too. It definitely looks like he plays bigger than 5'9". I really like this pickup, a little puzzled with the McNeil move, but only because of our current roster.

I suppose, but it seems pretty obvious to me that Pitino doesn't think much of not playing a PG and continuing to turn the ball over more than anyone in the Big 10.

I could be wrong, I might be jumping to a conclusion and Dre is a viable candidate to be our starting PG. I just would think that any new coach would look at how we turned the ball over last year and think that fixing that is priority #1.

My thoughts are mostly different than many of the boards' opinions. I agree with Bob: Why would Pitino recruit TWO point guards if it wasn't a need in his mind? You can say somebody labeled McNeil as a shooting guard but if you watch three minutes of his tape it's obvious to me he's a point guard. Mathieu is a junior. He's not coming to Minnesota to watch, especially when he has offers from other more attractive locales.

Early quotes suggest Oto will play. He will play with more confidence under Pitino. We need some bigger bodies on the floor sometime. He is one of a limited number of candidates closer to the basket on defense. You guys talk about people running the floor. Not all five need to be able to run. You need guards who can finish. You either need steals or guys who can outlet the ball to the guards. Yes, Mo can be a trailer and come down and bury 3's.
It's who he thinks he is if you watched way back as a freshman in the first public unveiling
of that year's team.

Nobody, including Pitino has any idea who will start in May. I'm confident of that. But he didn't recruit two point guards mission number one to sit. He has offered a bushel of 2014 point guards as well. His ideas are we didn't have ANY point guards and they are essential to successful basketball teams. Just a hunch.

Playing time for guards/wings gets really crowded if we land Freeman. Then you may see a transfer of someone other than a Hollins...not a prediction but it'll be crowded.

Mathieu or McNeil. I'm not positive either will crack the starting lineup.
McNeil already has a year of practicing in this system, no? I'd think that would give him a bit of an advantage early in the season.

I am a little baffled that we could possibly be taking in 3 guards under 6'4" after losing Mbakwe, Williams, and Ingram. It seems like we have an abundance of 2/3's.

Austin 6'4"
Joe 6'4"
Wally 6'4"
Allerik?? 6'4"
Daquein 6'3"
Maverick 6'2"
Dre H. 6'1"
Dre M. 5'9"

It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

My thoughts are mostly different than many of the boards' opinions. I agree with Bob: Why would Pitino recruit TWO point guards if it wasn't a need in his mind? You can say somebody labeled McNeil as a shooting guard but if you watch three minutes of his tape it's obvious to me he's a point guard. Mathieu is a junior. He's not coming to Minnesota to watch, especially when he has offers from other more attractive locales.

Early quotes suggest Oto will play. He will play with more confidence under Pitino. We need some bigger bodies on the floor sometime. He is one of a limited number of candidates closer to the basket on defense. You guys talk about people running the floor. Not all five need to be able to run. You need guards who can finish. You either need steals or guys who can outlet the ball to the guards. Yes, Mo can be a trailer and come down and bury 3's.
It's who he thinks he is if you watched way back as a freshman in the first public unveiling
of that year's team.

Nobody, including Pitino has any idea who will start in May. I'm confident of that. But he didn't recruit two point guards mission number one to sit. He has offered a bushel of 2014 point guards as well. His ideas are we didn't have ANY point guards and they are essential to successful basketball teams. Just a hunch.

Playing time for guards/wings gets really crowded if we land Freeman. Then you may see a transfer of someone other than a Hollins...not a prediction but it'll be crowded.

I agree Otto can play as a 4, and hopefully P will bring some confidence to him.... Think pick n pop with our new pg with a nice ensemble of wings who can knock down 3s or penetrate... I like it in theory, just a lot of ifs.

Can somebody tell me why people keep listing Mathieu at 5'8 and 5'9? Every where I've seen his height listed it's been 5'10 (couple of articles) or 5'11 (Rivals).

Don't take this personally, but how in the world do you call him a "2 star recruit" when he's a 3-star recruit at every site but one? Doesn't fit the ol' agenda?

+1 He's also the second quickest player on the team and our second ballhawk behind Austin.

Can somebody tell me why people keep listing Mathieu at 5'8 and 5'9? Every where I've seen his height listed it's been 5'10 (couple of articles) or 5'11 (Rivals).

Some of his more recent profiles have him listed at 5'10"-5'11", but he doesn't look it. Out of high school and in JuCo he was always listed at 5'9". He definitely could have grown, but I'm willing to bet he's closer to 5'9" than 5'11"

5'9"
5'9"
5'9"

Some of his more recent profiles have him listed at 5'10"-5'11", but he doesn't look it. Out of high school and in JuCo he was always listed at 5'9". He definitely could have grown, but I'm willing to bet he's closer to 5'9" than 5'11"

5'9"
5'9"
5'9"

Seems to me, taking the most recent height measurements would be the preferred method...

Those that think Joe Colemen isn't starting are off their rockers. He is a Pitino style player. Kid EXCELS in running style. Think back to last year when he put up 29 against Illinois, that majority of his points are when we played up and down and got out on the break. He is a mismatch when he has a head of steam, and the kid has a knack for finishing at the rim. If he develops a pull up jumper or a floater he will be nasty on the break after the first outlet pass. I fully expect the first thing Richard to do would be to to teach Joe on how to NOT bring the ball up on the break on the wing. Pass it up and fill the middle brother!

I guess I'm off my rocker then.

Seems to me, taking the most recent height measurements would be the preferred method...

That's why I posted his roster for his sophomore season at Central Arizona... Would that not be his most recent height measurement?

I guess I'm off my rocker then.

Put me in the insane asylum as well

As i stated a little earlier in this thread and Gold Vision set me correct, I was under the assumption that the JUCO was the SG not the PG. With my new knowledge that the JUCO signed today is a true point guard I understand the idea of Colemen being an off the bench player. My statements still hold that he is going to be a better player in this system, he fits it quite well. Problem is he is vying for time against our two best guards and one is a senior...

Austin 6'4"
Joe 6'4"
Wally 6'4"
Allerik?? 6'4"
Daquein 6'3"
Maverick 6'2"
Dre H. 6'1"
Dre M. 5'9"

It's not ideal, but I'm not too concerned about this. I think of our run in the NIT a couple of years ago where we essentially ran 3 guards, Rodney at the 4 and EE at the 5.

Our roster will lack a ton of depth on the post with essentially 4 capable players (EE, Mo, Oto, and Buggs), especially since Mo hasn't shown that he is physically capable of playing and Oto has really struggled.

I forgot the smiley face. With a name like Trae to add to the Dre-Dre discussion and the last name Golden, it had to be thrown out there!

It's not ideal, but I'm not too concerned about this. I think of our run in the NIT a couple of years ago where we essentially ran 3 guards, Rodney at the 4 and EE at the 5.

Our roster will lack a ton of depth on the post with essentially 4 capable players (EE, Mo, Oto, and Buggs), especially since Mo hasn't shown that he is physically capable of playing and Oto has really struggled.

Now that Allerik is out of the picture, I think we still need at least one PF/C. Buckles or Black would make me happy with this class.

Am I the only one who thinks that the team at guard is better with Hollins, Hollins, Coleman(instead of Mathieu) as the 3 guards? I don't doubt this kids ability I just question why people hate on Coleman so much. When he scored 10 pts MN won. Plain and simple. Lack of a consistent jumper but outside of that he's a good player.

Top Bottom