Dorsey, Mason, and McBrayer will all return next season

Can anyone name me a few college players who start at shooting guard who are at least 6-7"? Coffey plays a majority of minutes at sf. If he ever makes the NBA it might be as a shooting guard.
There's really no difference between SG and SF in this system. At times there's little difference between PG, SG, and SF. I wouldn't sweat it much. There will be at least 2-3 ball handlers on the floor at all times between Mason, Dorsey, McBrayer, and Coffey.

Off the top of my head:

Michael Jordan 6'6"
Brandon Ingram 6'9" as listed on duke's roster
Chris Levert 6'7"
Peter Jok 6'6"

Yeah I don't understand why people struggle so much to differentiate "SGs" and "SFs"...it's a wing position. Coaches don't approach games like "so and so is that team's shooting guard, so only our shooting guard can guard him"...I guess once you get past that, it really doesn't matter.

Coffey will see a good chunk of the available 80 minutes between the two wing spots.

And if he is our "SG"...that means we've got another good "SF", which would mean we are long as hell. Haven't had that in a long time.

Size isn't everything, but with Dupree (6'4ish but 6'7-9 wingspan), Coffee (6'7) and Fitz (6'8), we've got maybe the biggest and longest group of wing players that I can remember. We'd always been trotting out guys like Joe Coleman (6'3) on the wings and while he played bigger, having more size is never a bad thing.

Yeah I don't understand why people struggle so much to differentiate "SGs" and "SFs"...it's a wing position. Coaches don't approach games like "so and so is that team's shooting guard, so only our shooting guard can guard him"...I guess once you get past that, it really doesn't matter.

Coffey will see a good chunk of the available 80 minutes between the two wing spots.

And if he is our "SG"...that means we've got another good "SF", which would mean we are long as hell. Haven't had that in a long time.

Size isn't everything, but with Dupree (6'4ish but 6'7-9 wingspan), Coffee (6'7) and Fitz (6'8), we've got maybe the biggest and longest group of wing players that I can remember. We'd always been trotting out guys like Joe Coleman (6'3) on the wings and while he played bigger, having more size is never a bad thing.

Murph is freakishly long as well (for a 6'6"ish guy), Konate is a long, not extremely shifty, center as well.

Length is good, look at Syracuse's last two second halves.

If he ever makes the NBA it might be as a shooting guard.

He is an NBA prospect, but who the hell knows how that will work out? Look at Royce, he was below average in the D-League. At least Tyus showed he was elite there. Vaughn, I thought he would make it, but he had a long ways to go.

Isn't this the time of year where we say - "wow, where will get enough minutes for all this talent?" And then 8 months later we wonder how we can field a team of D1 players. I love this time of year!

This made me laugh out loud!! So true!

Go This Time of Year!!

When it comes to positions maybe its best to break it down by who are they guarding? I say 2 players shorter than coffey start along side him and he is guarding the opposing SF. Offenses can be very different, as can defenses.

Ingram played SF for Duke until Jefferson got hurt, then he played PF.
Jordan is still in college? and he is 6-6.
Jok played sf with Gesell and clemms starting most games at guard. also 6-6
Levert was hurt half the year, but as the 3rd tallest starter I imagine he guarded a forward?? he is 6-7.

So what your proving is it would be very unique, like less than 1% of teams, have a 6-7 or taller shooting guard!
thanks.

Jordan was 6'6" and played SG as a freshman at UNC. The 1981-82 starting lineup:

PG: Jimmy Black
SG: Jordan
SF: Matt Doherty
PF: James Worthy
C: Sam Perkins

Damn the rest of your statements! ;)

It's been two days since the announcement that they'd be welcome back. Have the crack journalists in town spoken to any of the three to see if they are interested in coming back next year?

You got me Otis, 34 years ago, yes that is correct, you found a 6-6 SG. lol

I believe Nik Stauskas, Glenn Robinson III, and Tim Hardaway Jr all played minutes at shooting guard at 6'6" or 6'7". Didn't Michael Carter-Williams play the 1 or 2 at Syracuse? He's about 6'6". There was also that time we tried playing Rodney Williams at shooting guard :)

Arent court vision and passing supposed to be a couple of Coffey's strengths? That might lend him to playing guard more than forward.

I believe Nik Stauskas, Glenn Robinson III, and Tim Hardaway Jr all played minutes at shooting guard at 6'6" or 6'7". Didn't Michael Carter-Williams play the 1 or 2 at Syracuse? He's about 6'6". There was also that time we tried playing Rodney Williams at shooting guard :) Arent court vision and passing supposed to be a couple of Coffey's strengths? That might lend him to playing guard more than forward.

Yup. It's like a team saying. Well mr. 6-9 man. You're a great ball handler and shooter and passer. But when we sort by height you're the tallest. So, center it is!

Who bought unbuttered popcorn for this show?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Minnesota's all-6'6" or better lineup:

PG: Coffey
SG: Hurt
SF: Fitzgerald
PF: Murphy
C: Lynch

I hope we see this at some point during the season.

Hoping Hurt takes a RS for multiple reasons. Besides the obvious, Hurt keeping a RS means the season is going well and Pitino feels like his job is safe. So I don't hope they play this specific lineup.

the lineup

Again my original post was about current players because we could then say oh its 2 or 3 out of 300+ division 1 teams. There is no doubt Coffey will be a wing in our offense. On defense he will probably guard the opposing SF is my guess. With college basketball, like the NBA, going to quicker and quicker lineups it is rare to see a 6-7 guard anymore. Most of those 6-7 type guys in the NBA played forward in college (Thompson, Hayward, Iguodala, C Brewer, Drexler) . The only reason for this is when predicting starters I say it will be 2 guards and Coffey at small forward and I am basing it on this. At times he may play 4 positions in his career, if we were pressing a very skinny pf?

Any players that Coffey reminds you of?
D. Hamilton 6-7-190 wing for UConn. 12 ppg, 8.9 reb, 4.7 ass as a sophomore..i wish!

I believe Nik Stauskas, Glenn Robinson III, and Tim Hardaway Jr all played minutes at shooting guard at 6'6" or 6'7". Didn't Michael Carter-Williams play the 1 or 2 at Syracuse? He's about 6'6". There was also that time we tried playing Rodney Williams at shooting guard :)

Arent court vision and passing supposed to be a couple of Coffey's strengths? That might lend him to playing guard more than forward.

Hoping Hurt takes a RS for multiple reasons. Besides the obvious, Hurt keeping a RS means the season is going well and Pitino feels like his job is safe. So I don't hope they play this specific lineup.

we might need Hurt's outside shooting...

Unless our transfer guy Fitzgerald has a good long range shot, we really only have one good long ball shooter on our roster and that is Mason...

Hopefully McBrayer continues to get better from 3 point range; he turned it on at the end of the year before the suspension

I would full court press that lineup. The other issue is we would probably have to play a zone on defense as I doubt Hurt and Coffey could guard quick 6'1" type players.

I for one do not want to see all of Mason, Dorsey, and McBrayer on the bench at the same time unless the game is already decided. Now Let Coffey bring the ball off with Mason at the 2 running of screens, and Hurt at SF, for outside shooting. That may get me excited. Then Mason can defend a pg, coffey a sg, and Hurt a SF. That may not be bad?

Per James:
Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Monday that guard Kevin Dorsey will transfer

Sent from my keyboard using fingers.

Long off season.

Lets hold our breath before stating that. For all we know, they welcome back.... Doesn't mean they will suit up next year.

I agree with your comment, too much of a Gopher fan to like your timing ;)

Knew it the second he started tweeting again too. Was retweeting lewd women again, he wasn't getting the message.

We now have room for Reuvers and Theo John in 2016. Two real players that their is no doubt about!

I predict Dorsey won't be coming back. I don't know why, but I just got that feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffey is going to get a lot more of the PG minutes.

I doubt it. I see Mason getting 30+ minutes a game, with Dupree getting the rest, and obviously there is a chance we bring in a JUCO or grad transfer.

I predict Dorsey won't be coming back. I don't know why, but I just got that feeling.

article-2449270-1898515200000578-561_634x633.jpg

So who's gonna play in this year's Final Four?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom