Doogie

This I agree with. Talking up the program to your friends/co-workers and telling them about all the fun that can be had at the games is worthwhile. Talking to them about kfan and reusse is not.

Disagree. As the die-hard Gopher fan in my office and circle of friends I can't count how many times people will read a negative piece from the Strib or hear a negative tirade on KFAN and come to me to rub it in. If it's not factual, it's my job to correct them on the truth.

I don't always agree with what you have to say but I respect the fact that you can come to this board and have the balls to respond to the masses. Provides for interesting banter. And for that, I appreciate your efforts.

GO GOPHERS

I don't always agree with what you have to say but I respect the fact that you can come to this board and have the balls to respond to the masses. Provides for interesting banter. And for that, I appreciate your efforts.

GO GOPHERS

2nd that. It is worthy of respect.

Can this program never have expectations? Brewster even stated today "we obviously have improved", well let's see it...7-wins last year, get to 8 this year with the bowl win included...they have 9 seniors starting on defense and have the 2nd or 3rd best WR in the country, who they lose as well...it's time to win some semi-meaningful and meaningful games.

Agree completely. Sarkasian took over the first 0-12 team in Pac 10 history and in year one has them ranked with a win over USC. Zook's first year they lost by an average of over 30 points (63-10 to Penn State, 61-14 to Michigan State) then Rose Bowl year three.

The Gophers need to build on the improvement from year one to year two and make similar strides this year (no, not Rose Bowl). Another 3-5 finish in the Big Ten would be a big step back.

There are other factors. Like SOS. It's not just we won three last year we need to win five this. A little more depth in the analysis please.

I do think they will win...the penalties weren't as abundant vs. Cal, and I expect that to become a trend...Stommes may play at RT, which would be a good change...Admittedly, I've read a lot about NW, but haven't seen them in a full game so far this year...did last year, but they are a different team...1 example: they throw it a lot more this year...the Gopher LBs are the best trio they've had since Parc Williams, Sean Hoffman, and Ben Mezera...Triplett has gotten a ton better...the front four, with Kirksey and Edwards being mixed in (both much improved) should give the Gophers a great chance to contain Kafka, and there were some encouraging signs for the offense vs. Cal (Fisch's creativity and play-calling improved)...& Weber spreading it around a bit more...
I think they win by 10.

Fact-based analysis followed by your opinion. All you an do on a message board - don't worry, you'll still get ripped. :)

I think you're assessment of this matchup is right on - Gophers by 10 is a fair and realistic expectation.

That kind of analysis seems to lend itself to the schedule 4 cupcakes ensure you get as many wins as you can mentality. Is that what you want?

Doogie, if you are going to throw this crap out there, back it up with information. How was he thrown under the bus? Who did it? The only ones I have seen throw anyone under any bus was KFAN when they read emails meant to be private.

You have thrown out an anti-Brewster nugget without a shred of evidence. Back it up with some facts or don't the readers deserve that? Foregt about your KFAN buddies for a minute.

Somehow I knew this wouldn't be addressed by Doogie.

I think you're assessment of this matchup is right on - Gophers by 10 is a fair and realistic expectation.

Guys, I feel like going "Chef Ramsey" right now. The odds makers in Vegas say they expect NW to win, these fuc&ers are amazing, believe me, if they say they expect NW to win, can we PLEEEEEEASE not say they don't know what they are doing and we should win by multiple scores :confused:

If Reusse was setting the lines then yes, it would be Gophers -10 so when we squeak one out in OT we look like we underperformed.

Guys, I feel like going "Chef Ramsey" right now. The odds makers in Vegas say they expect NW to win, these fuc&ers are amazing, believe me, if they say they expect NW to win, can we PLEEEEEEASE not say they don't know what they are doing and we should win by multiple scores :confused:

If Reusse was setting the lines then yes, it would be Gophers -10 so when we squeak one out in OT we look like we underperformed.

And NU were the 'dogs last year. Look at how that turned out. Surprisingly, the road team is 9-1 in the last ten meetings against the spread. I don't know what that means, but I'm pretty sure I'd toss out the Vegas spread in this matchup.

Plus, I'll be flying down for the game, so I'm GUARANTEEING victory. :clap:

Somehow I knew this wouldn't be addressed by Doogie.

I am far from a KFAN apologist considering that they let me go...Do I still have friends there? Sure, but do I want to see WCCO & KSTP beat them in the ratings? Most definitely.
Without going into further detail, everything Barreiro said on his show the day he read the emails is 100% accurate.

I wouldn't necessarily say you can use his assistant coaches as a strong argument because this was a step up from their most recent position.

Fisch-unemployed after getting let go after Mike Shanahan was fired and this was a promotion to his first coordinator position. I may be mistaken, but I don't think Fisch was going to be unemployed that long. He is considered an up and comer.

Davis--Was in a non-coaching position last season. True, but plenty of experience coaching the line at USC. Even Booty stated he was a great hire for Brew. Don't know why he was out, just that he would not have been a line coach for Carroll without having something going for him.

Cosgrove--Unemployed and out of football last year
Which he put to great use learning from HS coaches. The guy basically had one bad year at Nebraska compared to many successful years there and at Wisconsin. Kinda wonder if he would like to go on with life. Also, I think the Gopher Def. is proving its worth.

Plus some of the other coaches on the team are pretty good as well.

I am far from a KFAN apologist considering that they let me go...Do I still have friends there? Sure, but do I want to see WCCO & KSTP beat them in the ratings? Most definitely.
Without going into further detail, everything Barreiro said on his show the day he read the emails is 100% accurate.

Out of curiosity, what did Barreiro say since he is suppose to be 100% accurate? If you want to PM me on it, that would be fine. Since I am here in Cal. and really not that interested in going through KFANs archive of his shows to find out.

Doogie, it doesn't matter if what Barreiro said was accurate or not. Your buddy, the Assistant SID, screwed up big time and he deserved to get thrown under the bus. His job was to protect Brewster - not bury him. Whatever Brewster told your buddy about his coaches appearing on PA's show, it should never have been repeated to anyone at KFAN. A SID's job is to contol and shape the information going from the Athletic Department to the media. That is Sports Information 101. There are numerous ways KFAN could have been dealt with that wouldn't have resulted in this public brouhaha. Your buddy didn't do his job and he deserves to take the fall for it.

This is my problem. And Ruesse laid the groundwork and now Doogie has jumped in. Either he's not smart enough to realize he's getting done over in an anti Brewster scheme or he's in on it.

To have a great year the gophers need to win the next three games. This is true. What Reusse and his brethen are doing with this is changing it ever so slightly to set Brewster up for failure. In essence they change the obvious thought into a far fetched one and get buy in because of the nuance. They in effect are saying that if Brew doesn't win the next three games he is a failure.

There is a big difference. Having laid the groundwork and getting everyone buzzing that they need these three games or they suck, it will be an easy day of stoning the coach should he lose one. Let's be clear, Northwestern is favored. Wisconsin is likely to be favored. We should be favored against Purdue. We will have done a great job if we sweep this. Brew should get his extension automatically if he does. It should be a great thing. However even if he does, according to Ruesse and now his unwitting accomplice doogie he'll just be doing what he should have done.

The truth, that anyone with even 9th grade math should be able to deduce, is that the Gophers should be at least 1-2 through this stretch with the likely outcome 2-1, and the most unlikey outcomes 0-3 and 3-0. One is terrible, one is fantastic. It's simple math.

If they finish 2-1 it will be confirmation that the program is right on track. If they finish 1-2 we'll still be wondering. If we finish 0-3 it will be hugely disappointing, if we finish 3-0 it will be a substantial improvment and great thing for the program. Is this so difficult to write about.

It's sick. I don't know how these guys have jobs.

Sneaky, deceptive and par for the course.

It would be great, if just once the media in this town would do their jobs and leave the politics to the dick heads in Washington.

Sometimes, Schnoodler, your words have a certain music to them.

Doogie, I don't know know you but I know you have held positions with a lot of the places where I've gotten sports info over the past few years. One question- do you keep anything for your private thoughts? I understand all of the regular boobs on here, like me, just throwing our opinions out there, but for some reason it seems weird to me that you are talking about the fact one party fired you, then the other gave you this limited contract, and then you want this one and that one to beat each other in the ratings. It just seems unnatural to me for a journalist to talk like that. Maybe it's the fact I don't want to know anything about the personal lives of anyone on here. Maybe it's the fact I'm nuts.

Disagree. As the die-hard Gopher fan in my office and circle of friends I can't count how many times people will read a negative piece from the Strib or hear a negative tirade on KFAN and come to me to rub it in. If it's not factual, it's my job to correct them on the truth.

I'm guessing there's an Iowa or Wisconsin fan in particular that likes to troll the web for negative Minnesota stuff because they are ashamed of themselves for being a fan of a team with no football tradition.

Iowa...fan of a team with no football tradition.

Let's see. Iowa's been in their stadium since 1929, the Gophs since Sept 12th.
Iowa won their first mythical national championship in 1921, the Gophs 13 years later.

Yup, Iowa's tradition sucks.

Let's see. Iowa's been in their stadium since 1929, the Gophs since Sept 12th.
Iowa won their first mythical national championship in 1921, the Gophs 13 years later.

Yup, Iowa's tradition sucks.

dude, get a clue, you know damn well Iowa has no recognized national championships

Doogie, I don't know know you but I know you have held positions with a lot of the places where I've gotten sports info over the past few years. One question- do you keep anything for your private thoughts? I understand all of the regular boobs on here, like me, just throwing our opinions out there, but for some reason it seems weird to me that you are talking about the fact one party fired you, then the other gave you this limited contract, and then you want this one and that one to beat each other in the ratings. It just seems unnatural to me for a journalist to talk like that. Maybe it's the fact I don't want to know anything about the personal lives of anyone on here. Maybe it's the fact I'm nuts.

Absolutely...there's a ton of stuff I keep private...KFAN wasn't a firing, was let go along with 2,000 others nationwide on the same day...was public knowledge, covered by plenty of outlets, so just putting into context when many suggest that I am protecting KFAN...that couldn't be further from the truth...and the ratings comment I'm guessing would be presumed by just about anyone...just like if your employer let you go for whatever the reason, would you hope they prosper in the near future? In addition, I've filled in on KSTP a couple times, so why wouldn't I want them to kick some butt?

Yes, I heard Barreiro's show that day, but what he said was this:

PA wanted Cosgrove on show and after repeated efforts to get him on, Abbott emailed the U to say if Cosgrove didn't show the PA show would have no choice but to let their audience know that they have been banned. The SID then said there was nothing he could do because he was caught in the middle. Then they got an email saying KFAN has not been banned but that no one-on-one interviews would be granted and that KFAN still had access to the team.

So, from this KFAN whines all day that Brewster has dictated that nobody give KFAN any interviews ever? That they have been banned? Did KFAN, being the great journalists that they are, think about hearing this from Brewster himself? It sounds to me that KFAN and Abbott in particular took something for granted here and just ran with it. Crying all day about Brewster when they never heard one word from the coach. All I heard from Brewster was that he authorized no ban on KFAN and that interviews would be granted within the time frames that he dictates.

Isn't what I just wrote correct? If so, how does this translate to throwiong the SID under bus? The SID, in the email Barreiro read never said anything about a permanent ban. He just said he was caught in the middle. This is an indictment on the SID? Give me a break Doogie. Barreiro came off as a little baby in the segment.

I see that the line on the Gopher/NW game has actually risen to -2.5 for NW. Also, Wisconsin is favored at home to beat MSU by 4. The Gophers will need to play well to win all three of their next games. Very well.

I agree with GopherLady, Doogie, you are one popular person on these boards. Looks like the gopherhole got what they wanted. I like your writing and appreciate your responses on here. Some of these people on here are a little nutso so don't take it to harshly. They could do no better in your position.

It's not a matter of doing better than someone...for me, it's satisfying my passion for sports and writing/broadcasting, specifically Gophers' athletics.

Can we please agree that the Vegas spread is NEVER to be used as a predictor of who wins a game? The spread is designed to encourage equal wagering on both sides of the line - it's 2 parts stats and 1 part gambling psychology. Sure it's one number to use when evaluating a matchup, but the reality is Vegas has no interest in predicting who will win a game - they only want to predict how people will wager on a given matchup to protect their asses.

I'm not interested in the spread - I just know that Northwestern is a mediocre football team. I don't think the Gophers are mediocre at this point - are we not to believe the Cal coach who says the Gophers are a very solid football team? If they really are, they will win the game on Saturday - I sincerely believe that.

Chicago money has moved the line in NU's favor. Clyde is correct, Vegas wants the wagering split 50-50 on either side of the line because they get 10% of what's bet no matter what. Vegas isn't saying that they think NU will win, they are saying that based on the action they are getting, the majority of the general public thinks they'll win.

Top Bottom