Doogie

You have to ignore a whole lot of info to come to the defense of KFAN. Myopic comes to mind. KFAN has proven itself to be incredibly unprofessional in many areas. This is just one more. They have no crediblity. Their actions on this very matter are about as unprofessional and 'hackish' as could be. Had they done there jobs, in any kind of a professional manner there would be no "kerfuffle". If they had been doing their jobs in any sort of a professional manner over the last several years there would be no "kerfuffle". The only reason there is a "kerfuffle" is because KFAN lacks leadership, professionalism, and vision. Basically they suck and have no credibility.

They have destroyed themselves. And in this matter since they cannot behave in a professional manner, and thus have no credibility very little else matters on this since in the end it is only KFAN's poor actions that have even made this an issue.

Given the players, and the middle men, and KFAN's lack of integrity and professionalism all that's left is reason and there can be only one conclusion. It was a miscommunication and KFAN sucks.

my "new" post of the year nominee! :clap:

From the article:

"It's too bad that the staff, shockingly, failed in its bid to get RB Hasan Lipscomb into school."

What the hell does that mean? How can the staff "get" someone into school who doesn't qualify?

The only way some people know how to build themselves up and look relevant is to tear others down...

The problem with Doogie is that he is not a good writer and he doesn't know all that much about football. Most of his stuff provides no real insight. He is trying to model himself after Reusse and Barreiro and is not very good at it. He needs to go in a different direction. I think he should go after the Mark Rosen audience. Who doesn't like Mark even when he is on KFAN?

The problem with Doogie is that he is not a good writer and he doesn't know all that much about football. Most of his stuff provides no real insight. He is trying to model himself after Reusse and Barreiro and is not very good at it. He needs to go in a different direction. I think he should go after the Mark Rosen audience. Who doesn't like Mark even when he is on KFAN?
Ad hominem.

If you guys have a problem with the article why not address his points directly. When you attack him personally it doesn't say much about the legitimacy of your rebuttal.

Ad hominem.

If you guys have a problem with the article why not address his points directly. When you attack him personally it doesn't say much about the legitimacy of your rebuttal.

Doogie needs some good advice from somebody who likes him - which I do. However, I think he is misguided. He is not a good writer. Period. He needs to take a good writing class to improve his skills. I would tell my children the same thing. And taking the negative approach to sports reporting in the Twin Cities has only worked for two people - Reusse and Barreiro. It will never work for Doogie.

Doogie needs some good advice from somebody who likes him - which I do. However, I think he is misguided. He is not a good writer. Period. He needs to take a good writing class to improve his skills. I would tell my children the same thing. And taking the negative approach to sports reporting in the Twin Cities has only worked for two people - Reusse and Barreiro. It will never work for Doogie.
Have you considered that his approach may not be negative and may just be the way he honestly sees things?

Surely there's some middle ground between naysaying and being a pollyanna.

Doogie is the reason why I find myself visiting this board less frequently.

There's objectiveness and then there's KFAN. Doogie certainly learned from the worst and has modeled his style after the bait & shock approach wrapped around an agenda. I have no time for that BS.

I'll be honest...I didn't read his latest Strib blog entry so I can't comment on this particular issue with Doogie but based on what I've read previously, I've completely given up on him and refuse to read a single word he writes in the future (the kicker was the loaded question to Barrerio and PA). For those that feel the same as I do, I'd suggest you take the same approach.

This is my problem. And Ruesse laid the groundwork and now Doogie has jumped in. Either he's not smart enough to realize he's getting done over in an anti Brewster scheme or he's in on it.

To have a great year the gophers need to win the next three games. This is true. What Reusse and his brethen are doing with this is changing it ever so slightly to set Brewster up for failure. In essence they change the obvious thought into a far fetched one and get buy in because of the nuance. They in effect are saying that if Brew doesn't win the next three games he is a failure.

There is a big difference. Having laid the groundwork and getting everyone buzzing that they need these three games or they suck, it will be an easy day of stoning the coach should he lose one. Let's be clear, Northwestern is favored. Wisconsin is likely to be favored. We should be favored against Purdue. We will have done a great job if we sweep this. Brew should get his extension automatically if he does. It should be a great thing. However even if he does, according to Ruesse and now his unwitting accomplice doogie he'll just be doing what he should have done.

The truth, that anyone with even 9th grade math should be able to deduce, is that the Gophers should be at least 1-2 through this stretch with the likely outcome 2-1, and the most unlikey outcomes 0-3 and 3-0. One is terrible, one is fantastic. It's simple math.

If they finish 2-1 it will be confirmation that the program is right on track. If they finish 1-2 we'll still be wondering. If we finish 0-3 it will be hugely disappointing, if we finish 3-0 it will be a substantial improvment and great thing for the program. Is this so difficult to write about.

It's sick. I don't know how these guys have jobs.

Sneaky, deceptive and par for the course.

It would be great, if just once the media in this town would do their jobs and leave the politics to the dick heads in Washington.

From the article:

"It's too bad that the staff, shockingly, failed in its bid to get RB Hasan Lipscomb into school."

What the hell does that mean? How can the staff "get" someone into school who doesn't qualify?

Do you know what the truly hilarious part about that is? Genius Wolfson wrote a big article on how we didn't need Lipscomb, and him not being here will not be the reason our running game succeeds/fails. A little selective memory Doogie? Hopefully KFAN hires you back for defending them at the expense of the 'U'.

What Reusse and his brethen are doing with this is changing it ever so slightly to set Brewster up for failure. In essence they change the obvious thought into a far fetched one and get buy in because of the nuance. They in effect are saying that if Brew doesn't win the next three games he is a failure.

Yep

Let's be clear, Northwestern is favored. Wisconsin is likely to be favored. We should be favored against Purdue.

Amen.

I love when he says, "Don't be fooled by the fact that Northwestern is a 1 point favorite." What is that supposed to mean?!?!? If they're favored that means they're supposed to win the game, doesn't it??

It's sick. I don't know how these guys have jobs.

Sneaky, deceptive and par for the course.

The only thing worse than the sportswriters in this town is the fact that people actually read their articles and then they walk town around regurgitating their opinions!! It's maddening.

Again, Doogie, I think a lot of your articles sound like a radio broadcast transcript rather than a newspaper article. Lots of conjecture and opinion thrown in with a few facts.

This is what amazes me more than anything: I have some who think I am the ultimate Gophers apologist, a constant digester of the maroon-and-good Kool Aid, and others who think I'm among the harshest critics in town...I honestly do my best to tell it like I see it...on the above quote, it's a blog, not a newspaper article...there's some gray area with that, but I do not write those entries as if they were to appear in the paper...blogs have a different feel in my mind...

I expect this team, with all the seniors that they have, to win the next 3 games, 2 being at TCF...if they happen to lose one, but win @PSU or OSU, that can get them to my expectation of a 5-3 Big Ten record, which I stated in the blog entry more than I should've...but I see no reason why expecting 3 straight wins is over-the-top...Can this program never have expectations? Brewster even stated today "we obviously have improved", well let's see it...7-wins last year, get to 8 this year with the bowl win included...they have 9 seniors starting on defense and have the 2nd or 3rd best WR in the country, who they lose as well...it's time to win some semi-meaningful and meaningful games.

Please remember, when Rob & Nadine brought me aboard, they encouraged me to write with an edge, which I do anyway, at least that's the goal, and to state my opinion, knowing it won't always be positive...but oh by the way, there's praise in that strib entry...and when I rip hopefully I do a good job backing that up...I have failed in that regard, but hopefully more often than not I have succeeded...

Here is maybe my biggest issue: This message was sent to me privately (name held back, no reason to have his or her name attached to this)
Advice to Doogie: If you want to be a good sports writer, pack up and run out of the Twin Cities. Go to a sports town that has real writers you can study because the crap you've learned here won't get you a plum job anywhere. Many of your articles reveal that you've been tainted by the acerbic vein that runs through the local sports media.

Tip: The reason Sid was on top for decades was he almost never defamed anyone, which you’ve been doing some of lately.

I hope this person isn't serious...It would go against everything I was taught in J-school at the "U"...I am supposed to hold back, so I can find a plum job somewhere? I could do a whole entry on that message...I still can't believe that I'm reading that.

Do you know what the truly hilarious part about that is? Genius Wolfson wrote a big article on how we didn't need Lipscomb, and him not being here will not be the reason our running game succeeds/fails. A little selective memory Doogie? Hopefully KFAN hires you back for defending them at the expense of the 'U'.

Yes, I'll be the first person to say through three games my opinion on that has proven to be wrong...no different than any opinion writer in the country...Bob Ryan, Souhan, you name anyone, it happens where you state an opinion, and it turns out to be flat-out wrong.

As for defending KFAN at the expense of the "U", I've talked to enough people, and wrote what I wrote...the S.I.D. did not need to be thrown under the bus...I stick by that.

His article was not negative. Disagree with some of the points if you choose, but holy flying magical jeebus! It wasn't negative.

Schnoodler had a great post. To pick up on it further, I just did some simple math.

Suppose we are 60% likely to beat NW, 50% likely to beat Wisconsin and 75% likely to beat Purdue.

Our chances of going 3-0 in this stretch would be: 22.5%
Our chances of going 2-1 in this stretch would be: 45.0%
Our chances of going 1-2 in this stretch would be: 27.5%
Our chaces of going 0-3 in this stretch would be: 5.0%

In having 3 games in which 1 is a 50/50 tossup and 2 show you being slightly favored, the chances of going 1-2 are more likely than 3-0.

I would be paying very close attention to this thread if I were Doogie. The times they are a changing. I hope he figures it out 'cause I like him and think he has a chance, I can even overlook the minor writing defects as I think most sports fans can.

That was considered a negative piece?

Hoo lordy.

Completely agree. This was not a negative piece at all. Doogie is setting reasonable expectations. The next three games for the team, are, in my opinion, the most important of Brew's tenure.

I'm as much of a homer as anyone on this site, but jeebus, let's see past the minor flaws in Doogie's piece and understand his larger point: the Gophers are better than the next three teams we're playing and need to win them to have a good season. How is that controversial, negative or otherwise worthy of the invective you all have been tossing about?

Completely agree. This was not a negative piece at all. Doogie is setting reasonable expectations. The next three games for the team, are, in my opinion, the most important of Brew's tenure.

I'm as much of a homer as anyone on this site, but jeebus, let's see past the minor flaws in Doogie's piece and understand his larger point: the Gophers are better than the next three teams we're playing and need to win them to have a good season. How is that controversial, negative or otherwise worthy of the invective you all have been tossing about?

I'm a complete homer and that's why I think winning these 3 are a must. If we're good enough to beat Cal (and it sure seems like most here think we were/are given the right set of circumstances) then we're completely capable of beating NU, UW, and PU.

We NEED to win all 3 to have a GREAT season, going 2-1 in those 3 games would be good. I've lost enough money gambling in my day to know never to F with the boys in vegas, if they are telling me that they expect NW to win on Saturday, then by God I will not argue with them. 2-1 will be good, 1-2 will be bad. Easy as that.

I'm just commenting on the next 3 games, not any piece of the article.

I'm a complete homer and that's why I think winning these 3 are a must. If we're good enough to beat Cal (and it sure seems like most here think we were/are given the right set of circumstances) then we're completely capable of beating NU, UW, and PU.

This topic deserves its own thread - I'm going to start one.

When I read Doogie's blog my first thought was "wow, that entire thing is right on the money" and then I thought "wow are the homers with blinders on going to have a fit." I love predictability!!!

It's not that we can't beat those teams. It's about what it means if we don't. Doogie and ruesse would have it mean the program and coach Brewster are failures. It won't mean that.

We are still in the building stages of this program. We are not where we are going to be. We need evidence and signs that we are on the right track. That is where this program is right now. 3-0 would be tremendous. 2-1 would be expected as has been outlined in previous posts. I truly hope we go 3-0 to stifle Ruesse's gambit. But in the meantime I'm going to do what ever i can to counter it, so that in the more likely outcome of 2-1 they will have fewer idiots who buy in to the article to follow.

Quoting myself to add a clarifying point. I don't think losing one of these games suddenly means we suck or the Brew should go. But I know deep down that our best bet to an 8-4 or better season is to win these 3.

Yes, I'll be the first person to say through three games my opinion on that has proven to be wrong...no different than any opinion writer in the country...Bob Ryan, Souhan, you name anyone, it happens where you state an opinion, and it turns out to be flat-out wrong.

Best job in the world, sports media jackal. You get to criticize, tear down and hold people accountable for their actions, words and your "expert" opinion on how they should be doing. All the while nobody ever gets to hold you accountable for anything you say or do. Isn't it wonderful.

And in the rare instance a coach, player or administrator does try to hold you accountable you get to silence them through the airwaves and print by saying they are bitter, lying, incompetent or anything else you can make up.

It's better than a weather forecaster. (This is not necessarily directed at you Doogie even though I think you probably fit into this category and certainly emulate and worship the guys that do.)

It's not that we can't beat those teams. It's about what it means if we don't. Doogie and ruesse would have it mean the program and coach Brewster are failures. It won't mean that.

I didn't read that "win all 3 or you fail" take in the piece. I read the same thing I have...high yet realistic expectations. You can be damn sure that Brewster and the team expect to win all three.

It's not rocket science. To the people who say "well EVERYONE can't be homers." I say, other than Sid and the beat writer, name one? Shouldn't national writers be more negative than hometown writers? Our local media is filled with negativity, so I say AGAIN to you doogie, your brand of 'objectivity' is not wanted. There is an easy way to write an objective article and still make it sound positive. Do you really need any help figuring it out after the umpteenth 5 page thread of venom directed at you? It cannot be fun, right? So figure it out, and find something positive to write your next piece about, and leave 100% of the negativity out. 100%. Here's a helpful sample piece, "coach Brew certainly seems to have the team on the right track, but it would really go a long way to proving that if they could go 3-0 in their next three, and I firmly believe they can and should accomplish that." See? Something like that. Not so hard.

Top Bottom