Doogie Wolfson Hammers Brewster

Do you even know what the definition of the word "snitch" is?

If you're using the old, archaic meaning of an "informant," then technically you're correct.

However, we are clearly referring to the Carmeloesque definition of tattling to law enforcement, which you have done not only by bitching about it here, but also posting this thread on GI.

I love it when people get caught in their BS and then start pointing fingers at everyone else.

Here's your original post about me

I hereby name you Officer Douche, of the Internet Police. You are officially a member of the Snitch Patrol.

Also....

...says the guy who went out of his way to tattle on the OP. What purpose does that serve? Do you think he cares? Obviously, he doesn't, or he wouldn't have posted it. Unless you work for Rivals, don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure they can enforce their own policies just fine without Officer Douche on the case.

my response:

lol. Tattling? I didn't e-mail any mods or make any phone calls. This thread will be seen by all anyway. I just find it funny, just like I find all the GH, GI bickering funny since many are a part of both sites. You amuse me though. Please keep posting :)

Here comes BrewsterBooster

So oleboy41, I see you posted a link over there to this thread. Now that does qualify you as a "snitch". That is really really bad in the neighborhood I came from. Watch yourself now.

After being called a 'snitch' 3 times, I finally respond with this:

Actually if anyone is 'snitching' it was you for posting something Doogie said in a premium forum, meaning that those words weren't intended for public consumption like what he says on the radio. I started a thread about a thread here, in a public, open forum that all can see and most on GI would've seen anyway since many are members of both sites. That's like me 'snitching' to Brewster about what Fat Pat says about him in an article.

You asked me to further explain, which I did. Apparently this constitutes 'pointing fingers', lol. You need to remove your face from under my balls and take Reading Comprehension 101. Never did I point fingers or even accuse anyone of 'snitching'. I simply said that what the OP did was way closer to the 'snitching' both of you were accusing me of. Please, continue with your amusing accusations though. You're brightening my day and boosting my ego a bit.

I wholeheartedly agree on the mental line I used...I clearly overemphasized that point...I should've written - he is still learning the position, or physically he's ahead of where he's at mentally...and I accept blame...
As for the GI debate, I was encouraged, right from the start, to provide my opinion.

I'm guessing the kerfuffle with Doogie has a lot more to do with the fact that he is calling the posters who pay the moderators salary "Kool-aid" drinkers and "delusional."

That may be true for many posters but for a "Journalist" and someone that is employed by the site to start insulting it's patrons doesn't make a lot of sense. Would a bar owner employ a bartender who called all the customers drunks every night?

The argument Doogie was trying to make isn't the problem. (I would guess.) It's his manner in presenting his argument. (However ill-thoughout it is.) Who the hell is going to pay for a site if they present an opinion (which I think could be made validly...that Brewster has as much going for him as Dantonio) if they are going to be insulted for it by, not other posters, but by someone who is employed by the site. I've never seen the other "columnists" there insult any poster in the 4 or 5 years I've subscribed. I think someone can intelligently arrive at the conclusion that Brewster is building a strong program and has faced obstacles that Dantonio hasn't faced and not be "delusional" or a "kool-aid drinker." I find it funny that people can insult others in the name of being "objective" but if someone calls out Doogie for that opinion then he is a homer or can't make a reasoned opinion on Brewster.

I know I wouldn't give my money to someone if they were going to call me delusional for an opinion that believe when I'm pretty sure I'm not a delusional person.

Doogie hides behind "providing opinion." The other guys are running a business and the way Doogie presented his argument was like any normal rube poster would do it -- not the self-proclaimed professional he wants to be.

If he had presented the argument in a non-confrontational way, I doubt anyone would have any problem with it.

The other Maturi-Brewster comments he passed off initially as rumor and innuendo. Last I checked, a hard hitting journalist was required to provide sources. So, which is it Doogie? Are you a journalist (in which you should be required to back up your statements and not insult the other paying members) or a poster? In which case fire away but don't be shocked if others call you out on it.

I'm guessing the kerfuffle with Doogie has a lot more to do with the fact that he is calling the posters who pay the moderators salary "Kool-aid" drinkers and "delusional."

That may be true for many posters but for a "Journalist" and someone that is employed by the site to start insulting it's patrons doesn't make a lot of sense. Would a bar owner employ a bartender who called all the customers drunks every night?

The argument Doogie was trying to make isn't the problem. (I would guess.) It's his manner in presenting his argument. (However ill-thoughout it is.) Who the hell is going to pay for a site if they present an opinion (which I think could be made validly...that Brewster has as much going for him as Dantonio) if they are going to be insulted for it by, not other posters, but by someone who is employed by the site. I've never seen the other "columnists" there insult any poster in the 4 or 5 years I've subscribed. I think someone can intelligently arrive at the conclusion that Brewster is building a strong program and has faced obstacles that Dantonio hasn't faced and not be "delusional" or a "kool-aid drinker." I find it funny that people can insult others in the name of being "objective" but if someone calls out Doogie for that opinion then he is a homer or can't make a reasoned opinion on Brewster.

I know I wouldn't give my money to someone if they were going to call me delusional for an opinion that believe when I'm pretty sure I'm not a delusional person.

Doogie hides behind "providing opinion." The other guys are running a business and the way Doogie presented his argument was like any normal rube poster would do it -- not the self-proclaimed professional he wants to be.

If he had presented the argument in a non-confrontational way, I doubt anyone would have any problem with it.

The other Maturi-Brewster comments he passed off initially as rumor and innuendo. Last I checked, a hard hitting journalist was required to provide sources. So, which is it Doogie? Are you a journalist (in which you should be required to back up your statements and not insult the other paying members) or a poster? In which case fire away but don't be shocked if others call you out on it.

Journalists don't reveal their sources all the time for the risk of losing the trust between the reporter and the source. Not everything a journalist says may turn out to be true but a journalist has a responsibility to do their research and try and verify the information as truth. A journalist however doesn't have to publicly reveal the source for it to be true. For example, when Woodward and Bernstein refused to reveal the identity of Deep Throat on Watergate did that mean it wasn't true. No, history proved otherwise.

I'm with Doogie on this one. He wasn't hired to the Wall Street Journal Business Desk. If you're asked to write a little something for a Gopher fan site, it's important to state an opinion. Now personally, I get a little tired of the Reusse stuff, but I don't see anything in Doogie's opinion that was objectionable (not even the kool-aid references). I think everybody connected with this program is way too touchy. Also, the idea of a "premium board" is kind of ridiculous to me, but if people want to pay for the info, that's their concern. And if somebody who has paid for the info disseminates it, I've got absolutely no problem with it. Frankly, I'd think GI would want posters over here talking about stuff they heard on the premium board. Any pub is good pub.

Journalists don't reveal their sources all the time for the risk of losing the trust between the reporter and the source. Not everything a journalist says may turn out to be true but a journalist has a responsibility to do their research and try and verify the information as truth. A journalist however doesn't have to publicly reveal the source for it to be true. For example, when Woodward and Bernstein refused to reveal the identity of Deep Throat on Watergate did that mean it wasn't true. No, history proved otherwise.

I wasn't intending to say he needs to reveal sources. But he needs to at least cite why he is presenting the info, if he is claiming to be writing as a journalist. He may say, someone in the coaches office. Someone in the AD's office, whatever. But his initial "reporting" had absolutely no background to it.

Again, if he wants to just be poster and throw out opinion, I have no problem with that. But then he should be open to the same reaction as any other poster. If he wants to say, "Zach and Matt brought me on to be a columnist" than that is something very different. I just don't think you should be using insulting (albeit mildly insulting) comments if you're going to pretend to be a journalist. And then you're surprised when the moderators of the site are mad you're inciting subscribers? Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think this has probably been blown out of proportion but I can't believe Doogie is surprised by the moderators reaction when if that were accepted as business as usual then it probably would cost them subscribers.

I'm with Doogie on this one. He wasn't hired to the Wall Street Journal Business Desk. If you're asked to write a little something for a Gopher fan site, it's important to state an opinion. Now personally, I get a little tired of the Reusse stuff, but I don't see anything in Doogie's opinion that was objectionable (not even the kool-aid references). I think everybody connected with this program is way too touchy. Also, the idea of a "premium board" is kind of ridiculous to me, but if people want to pay for the info, that's their concern. And if somebody who has paid for the info disseminates it, I've got absolutely no problem with it. Frankly, I'd think GI would want posters over here talking about stuff they heard on the premium board. Any pub is good pub.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with Doogie's opinion. I agree with a fair amount of it.

My issue is the manner in which he presented it. You can present an opposing view and spur conversation without being in people's faces about it. And, especially if he's employed by the site, I would think that would be reasonable expectation.

My only problem with Doogies comments is his assertion that Dantonio would have done better here. The Gophers needed someone who could recruit talent, and Brewster has done a very good job of that on paper. Would Dantonio have been able to bring in Simmons, Brock, Lawrence, and others who had a significant impact on the improvement last years? I don't know the answer to that, but I wouldn't assume the answer was yes.

If I was forced to choose between the two coaches, I'd take Dantonio, but I don't think the decision is as clear cut for Minneosta in 2007 when the program was completely void of talent as Doogie makes it out to be.

My only problem with Doogies comments is his assertion that Dantonio would have done better here. The Gophers needed someone who could recruit talent, and Brewster has done a very good job of that on paper. Would Dantonio have been able to bring in Simmons, Brock, Lawrence, and others who had a significant impact on the improvement last years? I don't know the answer to that, but I wouldn't assume the answer was yes.

If I was forced to choose between the two coaches, I'd take Dantonio, but I don't think the decision is as clear cut for Minneosta in 2007 when the program was completely void of talent as Doogie makes it out to be.

Exactly, so according to Doogie you would be "delusional, a Kool-aid drinker, or absurd." Really, what you just said is an absurd opinion? If I was running a business with paid subscribers I don't think I would PAY someone to call someone who had that opinion delusional.

how about those gophers!!! Cant wait to see them on field. The new stadium will be a great time, great experience, great memory. GO GOPHERS!

Wow! This has really gotten to be almost embarrassing. Doogie really needs to pull back and let things settle down. He certainly has the right to defend himself, but "he doth protest too much". I am surprised he came over to the GH as a Rivals columnist (he says that is what the GI hired him to do) to make his case. It just seems a little strange and less than completely professional. I wonder what his Rivals GI team thinks of this. Crazy stuff.

Wow! This has really gotten to be almost embarrassing. Doogie really needs to pull back and let things settle down. He certainly has the right to defend himself, but "he doth protest too much". I am surprised he came over to the GH as a Rivals columnist (he says that is what the GI hired him to do) to make his case. It just seems a little strange and less than completely professional. I wonder what his Rivals GI team thinks of this. Crazy stuff.

Doogie was banned at GI, came here to to rip on them, and then was subsequently unbanned at GI. Crazy indeed.

I just think Brew has had more to address here in MN than Dantonio at MSU - Lack of already established talent and a very poor in state perception to go along with years of at best mediocrity. It is basically comparing apples with oranges all over again.

One thing Brew brought that I am not sure Dantonio would have brought is his strong positive approach which was extremely needed in order to overcome the opinions of guys like Ruesse. For where the Gophers are at right now, that was just as important at this time and should be brought into the figuring as well.

I wholeheartedly agree on the mental line I used...I clearly overemphasized that point...I should've written - he is still learning the position, or physically he's ahead of where he's at mentally...and I accept blame...
As for the GI debate, I was encouraged, right from the start, to provide my opinion.

Doogie, how was the spring game? Did you get to see everything? What did you come away with?

Reaction

Doogie, how was the spring game? Did you get to see everything? What did you come away with?

I was at 10 of their 15 spring practices, but the so-called media, for the practices at least, are allowed to watch just the 1st 20 min...but talked to a few high school coaches who have access to any and all practices they want to attend...
Gray has a presence about him...and throws a better ball than most think...he'll get to see the field plenty, starting in the Syr. game...Tim Davis is a load, very intense...if he can't get the o-line to play well, no one can....sat down with Fisch in early Feb...he'll be a head coach one day...my fear = he'll have a successful year this year and leave for a NFL offensive coord. job...
Stommes is a beast, Carufel plays nasty, Campbell is leaner, Wills needs to get a lot stronger, Ellestad will be fine, & Anthony Jacobs is a lot stronger.

Thanks Doogie

Thanks for the great info, Doogie. I'll miss the Gopher post game on KFAN. Keep saying what you think, debate is good. What do you think of Jewhan Edwards? Any news on Tremaine Brock?

vanilla gorilla....

Thanks for the great info, Doogie. I'll miss the Gopher post game on KFAN. Keep saying what you think, debate is good. What do you think of Jewhan Edwards? Any news on Tremaine Brock?

would your real name "happen" to be joel pryzbilla?!? ;)

How many Big Ten games will this brewster win in 2009 Doogie? He needs to win a ton of Big Ten games or it will be really funny watching maturi trying to find a way to sneak in a contract extension for brewster. And, if maturi doesn't get that done in 2009, he will have the makings of another Mason situation on his hands...a coach with less than 2 years remaining on his contract having to try tor recruit.

So, I am very curious how many Big ten games you think brewster can win in 2009 Doogie?

How many Big Ten games will this brewster win in 2009 Doogie? He needs to win a ton of Big Ten games or it will be really funny watching maturi trying to find a way to sneak in a contract extension for brewster. And, if maturi doesn't get that done in 2009, he will have the makings of another Mason situation on his hands...a coach with less than 2 years remaining on his contract having to try tor recruit.

So, I am very curious how many Big ten games you think brewster can win in 2009 Doogie?

dude go play with a hand gun or something

7 or 8 wins

I am on record saying 7 or 8 wins...losses to Cal, Ohio State, Penn State, & Iowa...Mich. St. game is a toss-up...I think Ill., with Juice and Benn, will get revenge...wins against everyone else, including the Badgers.

Thanks Doogie. I think that you have given a very reasonable and thoughtful assessment of where you think things might turn out in the 2009 season. In a lot of ways it sounds a bit optomistic to me, but, you might be right. You say a 7 or 8 win season with losses coming at the hands of Big Ten foes iowa, PSU, OSU, Illinois, and possily MSU and an ooc loss coming at the hands of Cal.

I think that developing the offensive line, developing the ability to run the ball by using actual running backs and not beating Weber to death as the only running threat would be a good start. I do believe that getting rid of dunbar is the first real positive step that I have seen brewster make from an offensive philosophy point of view. Will the Gophers be able to run the ball themselves is my number one offensive question, and will they be able to stop the run on defense? In other words, will brewster play Big Ten Footall?

Certainly, I see wins against SDSU, Air Force and Syracuse in the ooc portion of the schedule. They should go 3-1 there. I fear there will be losses at OSU and PSU and iowa. Certainly, there should be wins against NU and Purdue. Illinois is incredibly inconsistant with Zook at the helm. Juice can be great or not so great on a given Saturday. The U should beat Illinois, but will the U beat Illinois? (Run the ball and stop the run will be key here.) I'll say mostly "maybe" against zookster. I really think Minnesota SHOULD beat Illinois in TCF BANK STADIUM. However, I fear Juice will be on fire, the Gophers will forget to stop the run and Illinois will win.

The wisky game is probably key to brewster's entire season, and possibly his career at Minnesota. A win will finally give him a "signature" win in a border-battle against a very soft and beatable team. I don't know the last time wisky had a really good defensive team that Minnesota couldn't score a ton of points on, but, the problem has just about always been stopping the wisky running attack. Run the ball...stop the run. I hope for a Gopher win, but, I don't think the Gopher brain-trust knows what to do to beat wisky. A loss here could turn the 2009 season into a pretty less than successful season. There is no reason why Minnesota can't win. Is there reason enough for Minnesota to win? maturi wants to invite the wisky band. That would be very bad form on maturi's part. It will be tough enough for brewster to beat wisky as is...maturi should not risk inviting that wisky band into TCF BANK STADIUM because TOO much is riding on the balance for the Gophers and for this brewster. Until brewster shows me differently, I'll call that one another border battle loss. However, since I want to see brewster remain as the Gopher Coach until one season after maturi has been shown the door, I'm going to pick brewster to beat the wisky coach with the name that sounds like an eating disorder. I'm picking Minnesota over wisky on hope alone. Not in confidence. I think if brewster blows this game, his future at Minnesota will become much more uncertain.

I don't know if brewster has what the young NU coach has when it comes to winning close ball games. In 2007 and 2008 brewster chocked against NU. Minnesota SHOULD win this ball game in Evanston. I will say they will. But, IF Minnesota lets it stay close, NU will win again. I'll give it to Minnesota if they have at least a 12 point lead with five minutes left in the game.

For brewster, I see Big Ten wins against Purdue, NU and wisky in 2009. I also see him losing to Cal. That would mean a 6-6 record for the season and unfortunately, once again only a 3-5 Big Ten record in his third season as coach. That would be only a 6-18 Big Ten record. I see losses in the Big Ten to all three SU's (OSU, PSU and MSU) I also fear iowa in iowa city will continue to haunt this brewster. Illinois could help this brewster a lot be being a typical zookster team that underachieves, but, I fear they will find a way to "show up" this year. The KEY game of the season, I think is the wisky game. brewster has to win that home border battle or things could turn ugly.

I just don't know when maturi is going to be able to extend brewster unless he does better than 6-6 overall and 3-5 in Big Ten play in a year when the return to SKI-U-MAH happens in TCF BANK STADIUM. It would be a terrible year to waste.

Go with 8-4, 5-3

I think the Gophers get the Badgers this season for Brew's first rivalry win. The "swing games" that will really determine how good (or bad) this season is are Northwestern on the road (Big 10 opener) and Michigan State & Illinois at home.

Going with:

at 'Cuse (W)
Air Force Academy (W)
Cal (L)
Northwestern (W)
Bucky (W)
Purdue (W)
at JoePa U (L)
at The OSU (L)
Sparty (W)
Zookers (W)
South Dakota State (W)
at Iowa (L)

That said, it's a must to win the first 2, maintain the positive momentum of the new stadium. Get the season going in the right direction, set the tone early. Don't give fans reason to think, "Here we go again." Losing to a really bad Syracuse program with a new coach would be an immediate red flag.

I predicted 10 wins and so far I'm sticking to it!

I really think the Gophers have an oppurtunity here to compete for the Big Ten title. A lot of the better teams in the Big Ten had some significant losses. Even the experts do not think the Big Ten will have any serious threat for a national title run in 09. Last year PSU and OSU did that but it's not going to happen this year with those two teams.

I think the only three teams in the Big Ten that have a chance in the national scene to make a run are Illinios, MN, and Iowa. I don't think these teams are the top three in the Big Ten but there is POTENTIAL for them to have a great season.

The Gophers could bomb but I see the potetnial for a very good season. When I said 8 wins last year people laughed but I saw the potential for a big turnaround with a weak schedule and having everybody back on their roster.

I know the schedule is a LOT tougher but I think we have a chance in every game, and PSU and OSU will not be at the level they were last year. Plus other teams like MSU, Northwestern and Wisconsin had significant losses.

I'm not sold on Brewster quite yet but he has a chance to have a very good team this year. This year will show us what kind of a coach he is. I hope he does well but time will only tell!

We Will Know Brewster and This Team When....

We will know what we have with Brewster when his first full recruiting class from 2/2008 is playing as seniors.....in 2011. We will start to get a good feel in 2010.

This season will be very interesting. I think it can go many different directions. We have another new defensive coordinator(s). We have a new offensive coordinator and a new scheme to go with him. DO NOT underestimate the impact of this challenge for everyone, especially the offense. While the O can't get much worst, it can really struggle again. It is a big unknown. Terminology, buy in, player match to scheme, learning curve, etc., etc. It all ads up. We just don't know how this season will play out and I assure you the coaches don't know either.

This is what makes the college football so much fun. The anticipation of the season and the possibilities. We could have a great year in 2009 or we could have a disappointing/learning season. I can handle either one this year because we are still in program building mode. Will the o-line come together? Do we have a stud running back to get the rushing game going? How will our DEs and safeties do this year? Will our WRs, other than Decker, really step up to the next level this year? On and on it goes.

All kinds of unknowns. New stadium. Some real talent on the field. This is just great. Can't wait for the season to start. :party:

So, brewster booster: who gets credit if it is a bad season? Mason? This is the third season and yes, there is another new defensive coordinator and another new offensive coordinator. The offense is supposedly totally changing. It seems to me that brewster must have been the one to finally ditch that dunbar, so, it would seem to me that brewster takes the hit if the offense doesn't do well. NO MORE THROW AWAY SEASONS are allowed for brewster. He took one back in 2007. Only ONE per five year contract is allowed! (So, if he lands a five year contract extension he will be entitled to throw a season away again! You should like that, right brewster backer?)

Are you kidding me? You say that no matter how the 2009 season turns out, it's fine with you because you think that your and your brew-crew-buddies are still in "...program building mode?????"

Sorry brewback (you don't mind if I call you brewback for short do you?) The third season is NO TIME to say that results don't matter. Big Ten wins vs. Big Ten losses matter BIG TIME brewback. It's entirely possible that a lot of the players from the 2008 recruiting class will have transferred out of the program prior to the 2011 season. Whacha gonna say then brewback?

There just is not as much time as you think. Results matter. brewster made bad choices in the beginning with his offensive and defensive coordinators. So what if he has new ones again. He made his bed, let him lie in it. brewster gets no free lunch brewback. Life just doesn't work that way. It's "produce" or be replaced. In the Big Ten, it is "win or be replaced..."

If you don't think brewster needs a lot of Big Ten wins starting in 2009, if he doesn't start producing, just WATCH what happens...

So, brewster booster: who gets credit if it is a bad season? Mason? This is the third season and yes, there is another new defensive coordinator and another new offensive coordinator. The offense is supposedly totally changing. It seems to me that brewster must have been the one to finally ditch that dunbar, so, it would seem to me that brewster takes the hit if the offense doesn't do well. NO MORE THROW AWAY SEASONS are allowed for brewster. He took one back in 2007. Only ONE per five year contract is allowed! (So, if he lands a five year contract extension he will be entitled to throw a season away again! You should like that, right brewster backer?)

Are you kidding me? You say that no matter how the 2009 season turns out, it's fine with you because you think that your and your brew-crew-buddies are still in "...program building mode?????"

Sorry brewback (you don't mind if I call you brewback for short do you?) The third season is NO TIME to say that results don't matter. Big Ten wins vs. Big Ten losses matter BIG TIME brewback. It's entirely possible that a lot of the players from the 2008 recruiting class will have transferred out of the program prior to the 2011 season. Whacha gonna say then brewback?

There just is not as much time as you think. Results matter. brewster made bad choices in the beginning with his offensive and defensive coordinators. So what if he has new ones again. He made his bed, let him lie in it. brewster gets no free lunch brewback. Life just doesn't work that way. It's "produce" or be replaced. In the Big Ten, it is "win or be replaced..."

If you don't think brewster needs a lot of Big Ten wins starting in 2009, if he doesn't start producing, just WATCH what happens...

Another totally objective post by Wren Mason. The facts are that Brewster will be held accountable for improving or not improving the program. Many very good coaches have had losing records after three seasons in the Big Ten. If every coach that did not succeed after three seasons was fired, some very good coaches would be flipping burgers.

Anyone that cannot see a talent upgrade in this program is either stupid or biased. Which are you? In 2007 "the throw away season", the Gophers had the worst talent I had seen on a Big Ten team in years.

Bottom line, players win games and Brewster is bringing in players. How will that translate to wins and losses? Eventually, very well. This year? I hope so, but I look at the program and where it is headed both on the field and in the classroom. If it is going in the right direction, more time. If not, then Brewster should go. Right now I think it is headed in the right direction.

So what happens when results do happen? What will you complain about then?

So what happens when results do happen? What will you complain about then?

If he's like most, he'll just disappear from any and all Gopher related message boards once he runs out of material to troll about.

Top Bottom