Doogie says Payne got “north of $500K, more than entire Gophers” payroll

The goal of the Dodgers and Yankees is not to finish above .500.. comical.. Add the Padres, Mets and Angels to the big spender list…

Good Lord, give it a rest.
Coach Johnson took his lumps for 3 years...built up a team that was going to shut everyone up next year...and it just got totally decimated in absurd ridiculous sleazy fashion.

You must be a zombie if you don't notice anything is wrong.

The U has always been unable to compete in the athletics donation department, so people are surprised the NIL is getting blown out by others, too?

Coach Johnson took his lumps for 3 years...built up a team that was going to shut everyone up next year...and it just got totally decimated in absurd ridiculous sleazy fashion.

You must be a zombie if you don't notice anything is wrong.
Ben's 2025 team can join Tubby's 2010 team as fantasy national champions in your mind. That's better than anything they could have done in reality (be a .500 B1G bubble team). Maybe it's all for the best.

Ben's 2025 team can join Tubby's 2010 team as fantasy national champions in your mind. That's better than anything they could have done in reality (be a .500 B1G bubble team). Maybe it's all for the best.
An NCAA team returning its top 9 players...plus adding Royce White & Trevor Mbakwe...no, no, okay, nothing to see here...move along.

on the NIL thing - was listening to Doogie's "scoops" segment on Skor North. and Phil Mackey said he was "reporting" - based on highly reliable sources - that Dawson Garcia was offered "2 to 3-times more" in NIL from other schools than he is receiving at MN. He did not give figures. Doogie agreed with him.

the irony/comedy of this is that Mackey almost never talks about Gopher sports - and yet now he has sources and is "reporting" stories. Yah, sure. He's reporting a story that has been repeated multiple times in other outlets, but Mackey acts like he has some big-time scoop.

before anyone asks - I listen for amusement purposes, and it gives me something to listen to when I'm doing my daily walking.

on the NIL thing - was listening to Doogie's "scoops" segment on Skor North. and Phil Mackey said he was "reporting" - based on highly reliable sources - that Dawson Garcia was offered "2 to 3-times more" in NIL from other schools than he is receiving at MN. He did not give figures. Doogie agreed with him.

the irony/comedy of this is that Mackey almost never talks about Gopher sports - and yet now he has sources and is "reporting" stories. Yah, sure. He's reporting a story that has been repeated multiple times in other outlets, but Mackey acts like he has some big-time scoop.

before anyone asks - I listen for amusement purposes, and it gives me something to listen to when I'm doing my daily walking.
That actually increased the credibility on that one to me. He doesn't care about Gopher basketball nearly enough to make that up IMO.

That actually increased the credibility on that one to me. He doesn't care about Gopher basketball nearly enough to make that up IMO.
Yeah but no one listens to SKOR North so he can say anything he wants and no one will care. Hell just mentioning Gopher Sports probably doubled their listeners...but 8 is not a high number ;)

It will be funny in 5 years when they rebrand again but bring back all of the same people and wonder why no one listens...

FWIW per the athletic

OK, so what are the actual going rates for transfers signing with high-major programs right now?

“Starter should be $200,000-$250,000, all-conference $350,000, All-American $500,000-plus — but there are people paying double that across the board,” says one source.

“Starter: $200,000-$300,000. All-conference: $500,000-$750,000. High-end: $800,000-$2 million,” says another.

“Starter: $500,000. All-conference: $800,000-$1 million. Top guys: Well over $1 million. Some teams are getting wild as well with money in the portal,” says a third.

“Depends on position. An all-conference guard could be looking at $450,000-$600,000 and, as they’ve gotten more scarce, $600,000-$800,000. For bigs, what was $600,000-plus for an all-conference player is now over $1 million,” says a fourth.

“Starter: $200,000-$400,000. All-league potential: $600,000-$800,000. Top guys — over a milly!!!” says source No. 5

Yeah but no one listens to SKOR North so he can say anything he wants and no one will care. Hell just mentioning Gopher Sports probably doubled their listeners...but 8 is not a high number ;)

It will be funny in 5 years when they rebrand again but bring back all of the same people and wonder why no one listens...
It's almost all podcast now. I think the Vikings one does pretty well. Not sure about the others. They're decent on the pro teams. They're ignorant about the Gophers but don't really pretend otherwise.

It's an unsustainable system - back to the Stone Age. The NCAA should sue for its previous authority and take it all the way to the Supreme Court, where they might get a better hearing considering the confusion and harm now from not having some overall authority with teeth.
The court rulings are all on restraint of trade. This has nothing to do with what the NCAA used to be able to get away with. The courts are ruling on legal and constitutional grounds - not what you would like it to be.

Is there any transparency requirement for NIL collectives?

If not, how do we know that every collective has eleventy billion in NIL dollars?
Only the.not MN collectives have big money. We are.forever piss poor

There was also a defensive aspect to it. Let's say he had agreed with Minnesota on a potential amount pending his NBA decision and then Minnesota couldn't make good on it- he has to have another option otherwise he has zero leverage.
Yep it's always a no brainer to enter the portal while you can when testing the NBA draft waters. Even if you're 90% sure you'd return to the same program if you pull out of the draft, things can change dramatically over that month or two. Give yourself the most options.

Except you run the risk that you might not have a place to go back to if you plan to return. Not all coaches are just going to hold a spot for you especially if there is someone out there who can do what you do.

Top Bottom