Doogie says Payne got “north of $500K, more than entire Gophers” payroll

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Tony:

"He got north of $500,000, that was the get-in price. If you want Pharrel it will take you a minimum of $500,000," Wolfson said Thursday on the latest podcast episode of Minnesota Sports with Mackey & Judd on the SKOR North network.

Wolfson went on to claim the $500,000 Payne got from Texas A&M is more than the Gophers have in NIL money as a program, though specific program amounts are not public information so his claim can't be confirmed.

Go Gophers!!

If true, he's making as much as a guy on an NBA two way contract. Don't blame him for taking it obviously, as I would too. But his 10 and 6 avg won't make him worth it at all.

Per Tony:

"He got north of $500,000, that was the get-in price. If you want Pharrel it will take you a minimum of $500,000," Wolfson said Thursday on the latest podcast episode of Minnesota Sports with Mackey & Judd on the SKOR North network.

Wolfson went on to claim the $500,000 Payne got from Texas A&M is more than the Gophers have in NIL money as a program, though specific program amounts are not public information so his claim can't be confirmed.

Go Gophers!!
Doogie loves the sound of his own voice! He has no idea what the kid got. But he got his name out tbere as "in the know!" He is a,windbag.

We’ve already been told we have 1 million. What makes Doogie think it’s under 500k? Doubtful Doogie knows more than anyone else and we all know he likes to make things up.

Is there any transparency requirement for NIL collectives?

If not, how do we know that every collective has eleventy billion in NIL dollars?

NIL is a black hole. Everything is speculations and rumors. Where is the investigative journalism on this topic? Not going to get that from Doogie.

I don't doubt the players are receiving compensation for playing for a team, but how much per year, who's paying, what are the terms, who's getting a commission and how much and what's the tax implications for the doners and players.

Last edited:

Is there any transparency requirement for NIL collectives?

If not, how do we know that every collective has eleventy billion in NIL dollars?
What type of organization are they formed under? Charities? They have to file some kind of tax return to show they're not money laundering etc.

What type of organization are they formed under? Charities? They have to file some kind of tax return to show they're not money laundering etc.
We should add this to our lawsuit against the schools. Money laundering and tax fraud.

They should be forced to end the sham...of claiming these are students. They shouldn't be allowed to use the school logos or play on campus.

We should add this to our lawsuit against the schools. Money laundering and tax fraud.

They should be forced to end the sham...of claiming these are students. They shouldn't be allowed to use the school logos or play on campus.
You don't understand what money laundering is if you think it has anything to do with NIL. As long as these kids claim the income on their taxes, everything is totally legal. They have no more obligation to reveal who or what they are getting paid to the public then you do. All of this is happening because the courts are literally telling the NCAA they can't police this stuff. How are you going to sue them for following court orders?

It's bizarre how many people here respond by whining about how no one can know how much a specific player is getting paid or pretending the IRS is going to stop it.

Who cares if the real NIL budget for the Gophers is s$500k or $1 Million, it's apparent that what they have isn't sufficient to compete at the Big 10 level.

I don't think your lawsuit can win. But perhaps we should find a Russian oligarch who'd like to use DTA. For a 30% cut.

You don't understand what money laundering is if you think it has anything to do with NIL. As long as these kids claim the income on their taxes, everything is totally legal. They have no more obligation to reveal who or what they are getting paid to the public then you do. All of this is happening because the courts are literally telling the NCAA they can't police this stuff. How are you going to sue them for following court orders?

It's bizarre how many people here respond by whining about how no one can know how much a specific player is getting paid or pretending the IRS is going to stop it.

Who cares if the real NIL budget for the Gophers is s$500k or $1 Million, it's apparent that what they have isn't sufficient to compete at the Big 10 level.
It's not money laundering but the payments do have to be reported to the IRS. Depending on how the NIL fund is set up, there could be public disclosure requirements.

the U of MN has people who work with student-athletes to make sure that NIL deals are reported and handled under the rules (such as they are) and that students fill out all of the required tax forms. I know the whole NIL world is pretty murky, but most schools do try to handle things properly.

and I think that Dinkytown Athletes tries, as best as possible, to work within the rules.

unless the athletes choose to report what they are receiving, I don't think there's any legal way to compel the disclosure of that information.

off the top of my head, I could guess that Gopher men's basketball is receiving more than $500-K total. But, if that is really all that the program is receiving, it's not surprising that the program is struggling to compete in recruiting.

the U of MN has people who work with student-athletes to make sure that NIL deals are reported and handled under the rules (such as they are) and that students fill out all of the required tax forms. I know the whole NIL world is pretty murky, but most schools do try to handle things properly.

and I think that Dinkytown Athletes tries, as best as possible, to work within the rules.

unless the athletes choose to report what they are receiving, I don't think there's any legal way to compel the disclosure of that information.

off the top of my head, I could guess that Gopher men's basketball is receiving more than $500-K total. But, if that is really all that the program is receiving, it's not surprising that the program is struggling to compete in recruiting.
Well based on the number of financial fraud and malfeasance cases that the academic departments have had, I don't see them wanting to have athletes be better at financial reporting than they are. So there's that.

I don't think your lawsuit can win. But perhaps we should find a Russian oligarch who'd like to use DTA. For a 30% cut.
The financial improprieties are only a small part of the lawsuit.

Any jury would see that the entire notion that these are college students is fraud.

The financial improprieties are only a small part of the lawsuit.

Any jury would see that the entire notion that these are college students is fraud.

if they are enrolled in school and attend class, they are college students.

there are students who work part-time or even full-time jobs and earn money while attending college. does that make them frauds?

if a college student was a brilliant scientist and was able to patent some new process or invention while attending college, does that make them a fraud or less of a student?

if a college student was a computer whiz, created a new video game and sold it, does that make them a fraud?

if they are enrolled in school and attend class, they are college students.

there are students who work part-time or even full-time jobs and earn money while attending college. does that make them frauds?

if a college student was a brilliant scientist and was able to patent some new process or invention while attending college, does that make them a fraud or less of a student?

if a college student was a computer whiz, created a new video game and sold it, does that make them a fraud?
Their lawyer can argue this. Say they are students who are simply earning some money part-time. Say some of them might even be brilliant scientists.

My side's lawyer will present our case. The huge-money bribing and transferring every year...etc., etc...the absolute total joke of it all.

Their lawyer can argue this. Say they are students who are simply earning some money part-time. Say some of them might even be brilliant scientists.

My side's lawyer will present our case. The huge-money bribing and transferring every year...etc., etc...the absolute total joke of it all.

what laws are being broken? NIL is legal, and I can cite state laws and court rulings as precedent. transferring is legal, and I can cite court rulings as precedent.

you may think the NCAA is a freakin' mess, and I would agree. that does not make it illegal.

If Joe Blow Billionaire gave the Gophers $10-Million in NIL and they went out and bought a bunch of 5* recruits, would you still be complaining?

what laws are being broken? NIL is legal, and I can cite state laws and court rulings as precedent. transferring is legal, and I can cite court rulings as precedent.

you may think the NCAA is a freakin' mess, and I would agree. that does not make it illegal.

If Joe Blow Billionaire gave the Gophers $10-Million in NIL and they went out and bought a bunch of 5* recruits, would you still be complaining?
What laws are being broken? Schools paying the students has to be some sort of fraud. A public University enrolling students who have no interest in school also has to be some sort of violation.

They should be forced to label it as a minor-league professional team.

What laws are being broken? Schools paying the students has to be some sort of fraud. A public University enrolling students who have no interest in school also has to be some sort of violation.

They should be forced to label it as a minor-league professional team.
The school isn't paying them NIL money. My goodness.

Top Bottom