Doogie: It's obvious now Gophers have long road to correct ineptitude

Are these quotes from the staff? What's with all the "we's" and "ours"?

You obviously haven't learned Fandom 101. Without the fans, the game wouldn't even exist. An essential part of fandom is to identify with the team in terms of "we" and "ours". And it IS our team, it doesn't belong to the players or the coaches. The University of Minnesota belongs to the state, the football team belongs to the University of Minnesota, therefore, the football team belongs to us. The fans are not disinterested observers.

About 30 years ago, I remember a Vikings player tell a fan "what do you mean by we?" I've never forgotten that, it's the sort of thing a player should never say. Without fans identifying with teams in terms or we and ours, he doesn't get a paycheck.

Here are the relevant quotes:

(in response to a poster's comment "We are NOT a vastly more talented team than NMSU.")

Ugh, reading fail on my part. Time to point and laugh at me if you haven't already.

Urgh - I'll try again. Hopefully you'll pay attention this time.

The original poster tried to make the argument that NMSU is more talented than Minnesota. That is, 100%, categorically, undeniably, flat-out false. That is all I'm saying. Nothing more, nothing less.

Note that I said nary a single word about how talent translates into victories, nor how good of a team Minnesota has. Both of those are irrelevant to the singular point mentioned above. As blahblahblah has already stated so eloquently, it is not so simple as to say "more talented team always wins". However, the talent gap between NMSU and Minnesota is so vast that Minnesota should never, ever lose.

Now, do you understand?

Typical reply from our all-knowing poster. Time for your comprehension lesson. The quote was
We are NOT a vastly more talented team than NMSU.
That is NOT equivalent to saying
The original poster tried to make the argument that NMSU is more talented than Minnesota.
Nowhere do I make that statement. We are more talented than NMSU but not vastly more talented. And remeber you have an OPINION, just like every other poster. Your comments are not facts and everyone else's are BS. Try to remember that.

Bob, just as you compared NMSU with SDSU, my comparison was meant to show that we are not close to anybody talent-wise, except perhaps IU, in the Big 10. We shouldn't even be classified as a Big 10 team in talent. I know I'm old-school, but the players have to get themselves ready to play. And if the talent difference is anywhere near what you think it is, play-calling, defensive sets, etc. don't make that much difference. We couldn't get 1 yard when we needed it. That's not coaching. That is just man on man - best guy moves the guy across from him.

And IMO some of you are still looking through rose-colored glasses. I do not see us getting multiple players drafted and if "playing on Sundays" includes being on the practice squad for at least part of the year, we may have 1 with an outside chance at 2.

Again, my opinion. Just like your opinions.

I do not see us getting multiple players drafted and if "playing on Sundays" includes being on the practice squad for at least part of the year, we may have 1 with an outside chance at 2.

On our entire roster? Wanna bet? Name your price. Any amount you want. I will match it.

I haven't read any of this thread because I knew the trolling would be obscene, but I'd agree with Dpodoll's last post 100%

Top Bottom