Dont hurt Your Hand Patting Yourself On The Back LW!

Krissy will always be way ahead of Westy on my list of least favorite Gophers.

Agreed, Westbrook was the biggest underachiever I can ever remember at the U. How the hell do you go from averaging 41 points a game in high school to about 13 in College? His career best game was about 29 points. This guy should have had multiple 30 point games per season with a couple 40 point games sprinkled in. He was a complete letdown and a joke of a player.

How do you do that? Well, by being 6'0" first of all. He's a short guy by NCAA D-1 standards and that makes it tougher. Second, I'm not going to spend the time doing this research, but I'm guessing most NCAA D-1 players had pretty significant drop offs from their HIGH SCHOOL stats to their college stats. That's just a ridiculous concept that he should have been able to just carry that over.

I've been frustrated at times with Westbrook, but tell me please: Who did you want to have the ball in the closing possession with the game on the line or at the free throw line with the chance to put it away? For me, the last two years, it's been Westbrook every time. Devoe seems ready to step into that role now but the last two years it's been Westbrook and he's made the most of those opportunities.

That is a great point about free throw shooting. LW is the ONLY guy on our team I am confident in at the line (maybe Blake, but he doesn't get to the line often).

We will greatly miss his 90% Big Ten free throw percentage next year.

How do you do that? Well, by being 6'0" first of all. He's a short guy by NCAA D-1 standards and that makes it tougher. Second, I'm not going to spend the time doing this research, but I'm guessing most NCAA D-1 players had pretty significant drop offs from their HIGH SCHOOL stats to their college stats. That's just a ridiculous concept that he should have been able to just carry that over.

6'0"? Not even close! I'm with you year of the gopher, most kids getting recruited to BT schools have amazing stats in HS - or they wouldn't get recruited. It's just like the leap from college to the NBA, you can't even compare the two. There was another Gopher player that average 26.1 pt/game in HS, and averaged 1.5 his career, 0 his last year here:

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=261483

You just proved you know nothing about college basketball.

Agreed, Westbrook was the biggest underachiever I can ever remember at the U. How the hell do you go from averaging 41 points a game in high school to about 13 in College? His career best game was about 29 points. This guy should have had multiple 30 point games per season with a couple 40 point games sprinkled in. He was a complete letdown and a joke of a player.

You just proved you know nothing about college basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankonit

Bankonit proved that a long time ago.

I've been frustrated at times with Westbrook, but tell me please: Who did you want to have the ball in the closing possession with the game on the line or at the free throw line with the chance to put it away? For me, the last two years, it's been Westbrook every time. Devoe seems ready to step into that role now but the last two years it's been Westbrook and he's made the most of those opportunities.

Of course there is an expected drop off and a transition time getting used to College ball but 41 points to 13 points is a huge drop off. I can expect dropping off from 20 something to scoring in the teens or maybe for a big man who dominated in high school because of shear size but to drop from 41 to 13 means you did not show up for your college career.

Of course there is an expected drop off and a transition time getting used to College ball but 41 points to 13 points is a huge drop off. I can expect dropping off from 20 something to scoring in the teens or maybe for a big man who dominated in high school because of shear size but to drop from 41 to 13 means you did not show up for your college career.

How many points in your opinion should LW have averaged in a 9-10 man rotation where no one player averaged more than 26 minutes per game?

You need to look at the numbers a lot more than you are doing. I'm fairly sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that Westbrook averaged 40+ points his JR year and then transferred to a tougher level of play and averaged closer to 20 in his senior year.

In addition, without considering any personal feelings you have towards Westbrook, look at his offensive efficiency this season:

MPG---26.4
PPG---12.8
FG%--47.1
FT%---83.7 (90 in big ten play)
3P%---41.1

Thats dang good if you ask me.

His "lack of production" is also partially due to the system. He only gets 26.4 mpg. He could definitely score 16-17 ppg with 35 mpg.

He dealt with three different coaches and was part of back to back to back 20 win seasons and back to back NCAA tourney births. He was a HUGE reason we swept Wisconsin last year. We will miss his ability to take over games at times as well as his FT shooting ability.

Underachiever is way off.

How many points in your opinion should LW have averaged in a 9-10 man rotation where no one player averaged more than 26 minutes per game?

So if we had Evan Turner we could expect about 13 points a game from him? Because Tubby would only allow a player of that ability limited minutes because of our "system"?

As long as we are analyzing post game quotes from players it looks like LW is not the only one who thinks he has been through a lot.

"Obviously everyone is disappointed on our team," Kansas junior center Cole Aldrich said. "To work so hard and to go through so much adversity that we did through individuals on our team, it's disappointing that we couldn't have let Sherron go out in a better way."

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2010/03/21/rock-shock-jayhawks-kansas-bows-out/

So if we had Evan Turner we could expect about 13 points a game from him? Because Tubby would only allow a player of that ability limited minutes because of our "system"?

Tubby's only teams with "star" players are 2001 and 2002 (Tay Prince) and 2003 (Keith Bogans) at UK. Each averaged ~17 points per game.

How could I have forgot about Hump? Probably because I tried to block out that season in my mind ;)

I think Westy does take the cake though - because he's a 4 year player that achieved that dislike. That is really rare.

Touche! Being able to pull that off as a 4 year player is indeed a feat.

Top Bottom