Did you know this about North Dakota State

Doc1001

Reaction score
This year they have outscored their two opponents 98-9.

Is that the combined wonderlic score of the starting offense? They played who so far? When they wake up Monday they are still in NorDak getting a degree out of a wheaties box good for a life on the lube rack, trying to come up with the words to ask there first cousin to marry and breed.

Consider the opponents before you put too much stock in that. It does indicate that a confident team will show up.

deleted... Sorry...

Had intended this one for a different thread but fat fingered my reply on an iphone...

Is that the combined wonderlic score of the starting offense? They played who so far? When they wake up Monday they are still in NorDak getting a degree out of a wheaties box good for a life on the lube rack, trying to come up with the words to ask there first cousin to marry and breed.

In all ways, respect your opponent.

Always.

Everytning in context Sagarin rates NDSU's strength of schedule at 243rd. Looking at the numbers, NDSU is +1 by the predictor straight up, and -2 when you add in home field advantage. What the computers can't factor in is, the incremental improvement week to week, there is just more potential with the Gophers. Let's see what happens on the field.

The Gophers will have to account for a quick and agile running back in D.J McNorton. He is a lot like that Span for Northern Illinois that ran all over us last year.

The Bison have a shaky QB in Jensen and not a great secondary. I believe the Bison defense will struggle to contain Gray and that is where the offense needs to begin. By moving Gray out of the pocket in order to spread the Bison's undersized defense.

Craig Bohl is a heck of a coach, and NDSU runs a tight ship. I was really hoping the U would consider him for the head coach position last time around, though I'm more than happy with Kill.

Anyway, don't forget that the Gophers are 1-1 in their last two meetings with the Bison, and the win was as bad a game as the loss.

Respect this opponent.

Couple corrections. NDSU is actually a pretty good school. A very good engineering program. Fargo is a thriving city and a great place to live except during about 1 month in the winter. And as far as marrying your first cousin, you are confusing NoDak with Wisconsin and Iowa. NoDak is not the redneck, backwoods place you think it is. It has a very wealthy population and a great economy right now. Just letting you know since I can see you have never been there and know nothing about them.

The Bison will show up confident and well coached. I hope I can say the same about our Gophers. We can't afford to overlook anybody and this team is good enough to beat us, make no mistake about that.

Couple corrections. NDSU is actually a pretty good school. A very good engineering program. Fargo is a thriving city and a great place to live except during about 1 month in the winter. And as far as marrying your first cousin, you are confusing NoDak with Wisconsin and Iowa. NoDak is not the redneck, backwoods place you think it is. It has a very wealthy population and a great economy right now. Just letting you know since I can see you have never been there and know nothing about them.

i've run into a lot of nodak transplants in the twin cities - especially female - and they tend to be attractive and well educated. it's not a bumpkin state, even if there many more coyotes than people.

Sheesh Schnauzer. I am just a 55 year long gopher fan putting some info on this board. You having a rough day or something Cant print anything without someone blasting away. I was probably posting on this board when you were in diapers.

The worst thing that happened for NDSU was the Gophers losing to New Mexico State. Kill won't let this team overlook another opponent. The distractions from last week should start to subside. I really can't complain about the Gophers run defense so far. The pass D is another kettle of fish.

I agree, respect the opponent. NDSU comes in with confidence and two weeks to prepare. Miami (Ohio) also had two weeks to prepare. We had a nice win on Saturday, but Miami has a new coaching staff this year and we don't know if they will live up to expectations. I hope Kill and staff continue to get the kids to focus on themselves (improving) and not the opponents.

Sheesh Schnauzer. I am just a 55 year long gopher fan putting some info on this board. You having a rough day or something Cant print anything without someone blasting away. I was probably posting on this board when you were in diapers.

Apologies... I actually had posted that on the WRONG thread. My mistake. I didn't mean those comments to be directed at you. For what it is worth... I'm an old fart too and certainly old enough to admit when I make a mistake. Sorry!!

edit: also just sent you a PM, Doc.

True and false.

Yes, NDSU is a very good school, at least for Engineering, Nursing, and Pharmacy. I would stack it up against many schools in those areas of curriculum.

But Fargo is a miserable place to live MOST months. While I was in school there, I stayed there two of the summers and I thought summer was almost as bad as the winters. Not much to do, windy all the time. At least there are a few decent golf courses there.

Yes, Fargo is thriving, mostly because of the decline of the small farm in North Dakota. The small farmer is getting bought up by the big boys and mom and pop are moving to Fargo with their payoff money. The fact remains that North Dakota, at one time very recently anyway, was the only state in the United States with a DECLINING population. That about sums it up.

We'll be two weeks removed from a disastrous loss to NMSU. Not sure we should be discounting or ridiculing any football program right now. An interesting note on ND however, is with the booming oil business they are certainly not your "dad's ND". And the declining population has decreased as well.
Rural * Urban * Total Year
1980 418,382 234,335 652,717
1990 381,412 257,388 638,800
2000 358,234 283,966 642,200
2010 347,173 325,418 672,591

Ogee, I think your information is dated. The farm economy is booming, the town is vibrant, there's plenty to do, lots of restaurants and bars, tons of good looking girls. I'm not from here, but I've been living in Fargo since 2003 and I'm guessing that your experience must predate that.

NDSU is a very good school with an enrollment about 15,000, which means it's about the size of Notre Dame - and Bison football is a religion up here. People are obsessed.

Of course Gopher fans and the team probably respect NDSU, I mean, we've lost to USD and NMSU the last two seasons, is there any way we could possibly over look this game? I'm not worried about them overlooking NDSU, I just think this team is trying to figure itself out, and any opponent is going to provide a challenge because nothing is established. My hope is that the lines can continue to improve to help the other aspects of the team establish some rhythm.

Ogee, I think your information is dated. The farm economy is booming, the town is vibrant, there's plenty to do, lots of restaurants and bars, tons of good looking girls. I'm not from here, but I've been living in Fargo since 2003 and I'm guessing that your experience must predate that.

NDSU is a very good school with an enrollment about 15,000, which means it's about the size of Notre Dame - and Bison football is a religion up here. People are obsessed.

Like I said, the town is booming, no doubt about it. I don't think you really discounted anything I said though. I'm sure the farming economy is great, but from what I still understand, the small-time farmer is still getting gobbled up by the big farm entities. Numerous restaurants and bars doesn't exactly translate into a plethora of things to do.

There are certainly worse places to live but I wasn't crazy about it. Then again, I never lived there as a professional. I grew up in the Brainerd lakes area and for summers, there's no comparison. Fargo was not fun. Give me lakes and woods over the windy plains any day.

As far as pretty girls, I'm partial to where home is now, Las Vegas (breast augmentation capital of the world). It doesn't get much better than this.

Bison football. Yes, a religion like no other, I have no doubt that hasn't changed. Look what it did for Ed Schultz.

It is a tough place to live, but oil will make them one of the better economies in the country.
They have done a lot better job of managing their fb program than we have given the resouces etc. It irritates the hell out of me that they are competitive to us at this point, but until we have had a real coach in place for 3 years it will be true. Just hope we win.

Kill won't let this team overlook another opponent.
While I agree in theory, I sincerely doubt that he let them overlook NMSU. They did that on their own. A coach can't make his team do anything mentally. He can only attempt to correct mistakes after the fact. I'm only being nitpicky because if the team still doesn't buy into Kill's approach then overlooking an opponent is still possible.

NDSU is a very good school with an enrollment about 15,000, which means it's about the size of Notre Dame - and Bison football is a religion up here. People are obsessed.[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but doesn't Notre Dame only have between 5,000 and 8,000 students? I really don't feel like looking it up

Kill isn't the one i'm worried about overlooking this opponent, it's the players. If you're a B1G player, there is NO way that you're going to be excited to play NDSU. It's just not going to happen. NDSUcks players on the other hand are going to play their hearts out because they want to prove that they can beat a B1G team. I absolutely hate when teams like NDSUcks are scheduled because when you're a rebuilding program like we are this is a complete trap game that can totally dismantle anything and everything coaches have done with recruiting. What kind of recruit that is considering Minnesota will want to go after watching them lose to a "lower level" opponent? Especially when he see's that they have more fans there than Minnesota will

The Gophers will have to account for a quick and agile running back in D.J McNorton. He is a lot like that Span for Northern Illinois that ran all over us last year.

The Bison have a shaky QB in Jensen and not a great secondary. I believe the Bison defense will struggle to contain Gray and that is where the offense needs to begin. By moving Gray out of the pocket in order to spread the Bison's undersized defense.

I think a key is going to be having another ZERO turnover day on offense for our gophers. I did not get to see the first half as I was at a wedding, but I am really hoping that we come out and set the tone on offense and defense right away. I say this, as little I have seen of NDSU football team, I have heard of DJ Mcnorton. From what it sounds, he is a beast. I do not doubt that this is going to be a very close game. Quite honestly, I am not sure who will win.

NDSU fan here (and former player). As an FYI, we believe we are one of the best teams in the FCS this year. Frankly, the best teams in the FCS should beat the lower FBS teams (which the Gophers are right now--improving though). Consequently, we expect to beat you guys, and will be very disappointed if whe don't. Losing to you guys could be telling for us as to whether we are as good of an FCS as we think we are.

That all said, I would surmize that you have more talented athletes, as in numbers, but we are a very athletic team this year. One of our problems (weaknesses if you will) is that we have had over the last 2-3 years much difficulty in stopping a good running QB. This year, however, our LB's are very athletic--not real big, but athletic and can run. We are fairly deep at LB and DL.

On offense, you will see a fairly big OL, and relatively young QB (improving--but telegraphs his passes), one good receiver (Holloway) and two good RB's (McNorton and Ojuri). The RB's could play in the Big 10(12), as could at least 2 of our starting OL.

We will try to pound the ball, but will mix in some misdirection and a short passing game to soften the middle up.

Should be a good game. Hoping for an NDSU win, expecting one, but won't be surprised if we lose either, just disappointed.

Have you been to these places personally? I will agree that Fargo can rock and is a great party town...but it sucks for 9 out of 12 months...winter, spring floods and late summer bugs. And you should head west my man...cuz if you check out some of the middle and western NoDak towns, you will find that no more than 4 last names exist in their phone books. Johnson, Anderson and whatever the town name is and the next closest town. In breeding lives strong in NoDak. Now they do got money, like the PA Dutch and Menonites, these are hard working folks...freaky, but hard working.

NDSU fan here (and former player). As an FYI, we believe we are one of the best teams in the FCS this year. Frankly, the best teams in the FCS should beat the lower FBS teams (which the Gophers are right now--improving though). Consequently, we expect to beat you guys, and will be very disappointed if whe don't. Losing to you guys could be telling for us as to whether we are as good of an FCS as we think we are.

That all said, I would surmize that you have more talented athletes, as in numbers, but we are a very athletic team this year. One of our problems (weaknesses if you will) is that we have had over the last 2-3 years much difficulty in stopping a good running QB. This year, however, our LB's are very athletic--not real big, but athletic and can run. We are fairly deep at LB and DL.

On offense, you will see a fairly big OL, and relatively young QB (improving--but telegraphs his passes), one good receiver (Holloway) and two good RB's (McNorton and Ojuri). The RB's could play in the Big 10(12), as could at least 2 of our starting OL.

We will try to pound the ball, but will mix in some misdirection and a short passing game to soften the middle up.

Should be a good game. Hoping for an NDSU win, expecting one, but won't be surprised if we lose either, just disappointed.

Nice post... thanks. I would like to think I'd put it the same way if I was visiting another fan board. It makes for a nice dialog to have a good discussion with opponent fans from time to time. Anyway, good info and I appreciate the balanced thoughtful contribution to this thread.

Top Bottom