Did I miss something?

denguegopher

Reaction score
In the past I would visit this page on rare occasion to read political opinion. Some of it was insightful, other comments were funny or inflammatory, and some vacuous, but it still made for entertaining reading. So I can assume that all that good stuff is now outlawed?

In the past I would visit this page on rare occasion to read political opinion. Some of it was insightful, other comments were funny or inflammatory, and some vacuous, but it still made for entertaining reading. So I can assume that all that good stuff is now outlawed?
Off-topic board was split into two. There's another one for political talk.

That sounds reasonable. I looked for the political one and came up empty. I'm not real techy, but any help in locating it would be appreciated.

That sounds reasonable. I looked for the political one and came up empty. I'm not real techy, but any help in locating it would be appreciated.
You need to be logged in to even view the forum.

Like ope said, you have be logged in now to see the politics board.

They changed that very recently, week or two ago?

Thanks for the tip. I went to that page, mouthed off a little bit and have ultimately decided its best to keep my political leanings to myself.

do you have to have a certain amount of posts to see the political board? I'm mostly a lurker/reader, and it seems to have disappeared for me.

do you have to have a certain amount of posts to see the political board? I'm mostly a lurker/reader, and it seems to have disappeared for me.
No, but its "buried." How I get there is by going to "Pro Sports/Pop Culture." Then there is a small link, "Other Forums, " Click, then one with "Politics" in the title pops up, click and you are good to go.

Yes, but I thought it was only supposed to be 5, so you should be well good.

thanks for the help, but I still seem to either be missing something or not have access to that board. I clicked on the Pro Sports/Pop Culture and clicked on a couple "other forums" links and didn't find anything. I then even went to denguegopher's profile and looked at his recent posts since he said he's been there recently. all his previous posts that were shown to me were in the football forum or this one. So I then just did a google search for Gopherhole politics forum" and clicked on the link to get a "you don't have permission to view this page". So for some reason I'm locked out. maybe they changed to more than 5 posts? If so, this discussion is really getting my post count up!

Has everyone else still been able to get to the politics board? I'm still unable to get into it or see it for some reason. With some of the recent events, I was hoping to see some people losing their minds over there, which I'm sure some are. (please don't respond with any politics here, I'm just looking to see if anyone else has trouble getting into it or finding it.)

Has everyone else still been able to get to the politics board? I'm still unable to get into it or see it for some reason. With some of the recent events, I was hoping to see some people losing their minds over there, which I'm sure some are. (please don't respond with any politics here, I'm just looking to see if anyone else has trouble getting into it or finding it.)

You need 100 posts to be able to see that forum. We apologize for the inconvenience, but it has allowed us to significantly cut down on spammers who targeted that page. Thanks.

You need 100 posts to be able to see that forum. We apologize for the inconvenience, but it has allowed us to significantly cut down on spammers who targeted that page. Thanks.

Oh, 100 now! Well, OK.

I still don't understand what harm there is in letting non-logged in site visitors just view the board. They can't post if they're not logged in, so how does it matter?

Oh, 100 now! Well, OK.

I still don't understand what harm there is in letting non-logged in site visitors just view the board. They can't post if they're not logged in, so how does it matter?

Based on advice from XenForo, who is the platform that runs these forums, they recommended this approach as we'd get 40-50 applicants a day for a new users all from IP addresses in parts of the world that forum spamming is prevalent. We followed their advice and now we only get 1-2 a week. It just helps the clutter on the backend and the message boards if spammers were to get through otherwise.

Based on advice from XenForo, who is the platform that runs these forums, they recommended this approach as we'd get 40-50 applicants a day for a new users all from IP addresses in parts of the world that forum spamming is prevalent. We followed their advice and now we only get 1-2 a week. It just helps the clutter on the backend and the message boards if spammers were to get through otherwise.
Ah.

That does make sense. Automated bots scouring the internet looking for political message boards to try to influence opinions -- seems fantasy, but I know this is a thing.

Thank you for the explanation!

Not a problem, glad I now know the rules. Thanks!

Test 2

EDIT: I was trying to see if you could post, delete, post, delete, to pump up your post count, but it does indeed subtract one if you delete a post.

with all due respect, prepare yourself to be disappointed when you do qualify for the politics board.

95% of the posts are name-calling and insults.

SPOILER - the posters on the "Right" and the posters on the "Left" don't agree on anything.

Test 2

EDIT: I was trying to see if you could post, delete, post, delete, to pump up your post count, but it does indeed subtract one if you delete a post.
You could go to the test/admin site and jack up the post count.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom