Did anyone listen to Danny B and Mason today?

glovedgopher

Sec 210 row 23
Reaction score
Mason gave his theory on why Leach had zero chance at the job. He thinks Leach had zero shot because after Mason got fired a Dallas newspaper asked Leach about the firing and he said the President and AD should be fired not the coach.

Mason gave his theory on why Leach had zero chance at the job. He thinks Leach had zero shot because after Mason got fired a Dallas newspaper asked Leach about the firing and he said the President and AD should be fired not the coach.

Awesome

Mason sounds more and more like a little girl talking smack about the boy that dumped her...and Danny B is her nerdy friend who used to bash her behind her back and now acts like her best friend.

Jimminy Christmas, I dislike Glen Mason. I mean, he's right, Maturi should have been s-canned after he canned Mase. But he just comes across as such a self-serving wad.

Mason sounds more and more like a little girl talking smack about the boy that dumped her...and Danny B is her nerdy friend who used to bash her behind her back and now acts like her best friend.

Very true. It would be nice if he found another coaching job so he can get over the Minnesota years.

I agree it does say something that he has not sniffed another job since leaving MN. Maybe he has been contacted and it has not been reported, but makes you wonder...

I believe its more than that, the guy is involved in two lawsuits right now, not too many schools are gonna mess with him. If that isnt the case Id think he would have a job soon with all the openings in Florida or elsewhere.

One of the best analogies ever.

I believe its more than that, the guy is involved in two lawsuits right now, not too many schools are gonna mess with him. If that isnt the case Id think he would have a job soon with all the openings in Florida or elsewhere.

Right. We'll see if Leach ends up with a job after Florida and Miami (and Michigan?) have hired and the associated vacancies created by those hirings are filled. If not, I think it's safe to conclude he falls into the non-employable category for the time being and, sweet baby Jesus forbid, Maturi may have done the U a favor.

Jimminy Christmas, I dislike Glen Mason. I mean, he's right, Maturi should have been s-canned after he canned Mase. But he just comes across as such a self-serving wad.

Agree. He is that. Sickens me that he still has a forum in this town.

Right. We'll see if Leach ends up with a job after Florida and Miami (and Michigan?) have hired and the associated vacancies created by those hirings are filled. If not, I think it's safe to conclude he falls into the non-employable category for the time being and, sweet baby Jesus forbid, Maturi may have done the U a favor.

I hope he lands a job some place because as a fan of college football he is fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHerbs

+1 to both you guys. Leach can obviously coach, but he's got more warts than a hooker at a frog convention.

Funny thing about Dan and Mase. Any rumor that makes Maturi look like an idiot is true. Any rumor that even marginally absolves him comes from "chowders."

From what I have heard a lot of Mason's problems in getting another job have to do with his age and him thinking he can still get another BIG 10 job. Mason should do what Solich is doing, go to some MAC school and enjoy coaching the remainder of your time.

From what I have heard a lot of Mason's problems in getting another job have to do with his age and him thinking he can still get another BIG 10 job. Mason should do what Solich is doing, go to some MAC school and enjoy coaching the remainder of your time.

Memo to Glen: If you couldn't land the Indiana job, you have zero chance of any BIG 10 job.

Memo to Glen: If you couldn't land the Indiana job, you have zero chance of any BIG 10 job.

But, he's the greatest coach since Woody Hayes. Just ask him, he'll tell you. (And, Danny B. will agree with anything he says.)

Memo to all of you:

It is highly unlikely that any coach who comes to the U of M in the next fifteen to twenty five years will surpass Mason's record at Minnesota of lasting 10 seasons and winning as many games as he won. The odds just are not very good of that happening. I wish Coach Kill nothing but the very best. But, you dudes and dudettes who talk so much smack are just plain out to lunch. The odds of any coach coming to Minnesota and lasting 10 seasons...even with the new stadium got worse when Nebraska came into the Big Ten. Perhaps the addition of Nebraska helps to negate the new stadium, because Mason never had the benefit of the new stadium, even though they needed to extend his contract to get the new stadium deal done. Mason never benefited from it. And, brewster couldn't win more than 6 Big Ten games even though he HAD the promise of the new stadim and eventually the new stadium to benefit from. Hell, he didn't even have the addition of Nebraska to hinder his Big Ten win record. Coach Kill will have the Nebraska factor to deal with right away.

You try to trash people. But, here is the thing: you do NOT have a clue about how tough it is going to be to get a 5-3 OR better Big Ten record every once in a while for Coach Kill or any other coach who is here. And, when the Big Ten schedule goes to 9 Big Ten games, it is going to be even tougher. To get to the 6-6 and 7-5 mark overall can be done...but...to get those 8-4, 9-3 and 10-2 types of records is going to be mighty hard to do. And, if there is any rebuilding to do, it will get any coach off to a tough start. So, winning as many games as possible in the FIRST season is absolutely essential for any coach hoping to last at least five seasons.

And you people just sound so full of yourselves as you try to trash a former player or coach. Just a note to each of you: your talk is cheap. Big Ten wins are mighty hard to come by. Just wait and watch. Getting much past a 4-4 Big Ten record (with the 8 game Big Ten schedule) is a mighty fine piece of work. Some of you NEVER seem to learn...

It is highly unlikely that any coach who come to the U of M will surpass Mason's record at Minnesota of lasting 10 seasons and winning as many games as he won. The odds just are not very good of that happening. I wish Coach Kill nothing but the very best. But, you dudes and dudettes who talk so much smack are just plain out to lunch. The odds of any coach coming to Minnesota and lasting 10 seasons...even with the new stadium got worse when Nebraska came into the Big Ten. Perhaps the addition of Nebraska helps to negate the new stadium.

You try to trash people. But, here is the thing: you do NOT have a clue about how tough it is going to be to get a 5-3 Big Ten record every once in a while for Coach Kill or any other coach who is here. And, when the Big Ten schedule goes to 9 Big Ten games, it is going to be even tougher. To get to the 6-6 and 7-5 mark overall can be done...but...to get those 8-4, 9-3 and 10-2 types of records is going to be mighty hard to do.

And you people just sound so full of yourselves as you try to trash a former player or coach. Just a note to each of you: your talk is cheap. Big Ten wins are mighty hard to come by. Just wait and watch. etting much past a 4-4 Big Ten record is a mighty fine piece of work. Some of you NEVER seem to learn...

PantherHawk! Minnesota has Floyd of Rosedale which means you don't get to say anything. Damn, that feels good to say.

regardless of who he is

I liked Mase. (which apparently is a supposed indictment itself) I pretty much don't care if he tells stories like these and honestly, the anger people portray toward him here is ridiculous. Move on and stop moaning over how angry he makes you. I would say to "have some respect" but I am unsure how many of the I'm still angry are capable of it.

I lost all of respect for Danny B after he started kissing mason's ass once he joined the media.

I lost all of respect for Danny B after he started kissing mason's ass once he joined the media.

You have to have respect for someone before you lose it. I lost what little respect I had for him when KFAN put up all those billboards of him with the shaved head. Dude looks like Uncle Fester.

The funny thing--and this ain't about hatin' on the Mase--is that Barreiro did a total 180 on the guy. When Mason coached the Gophers, Barreiro was all over him. I don't listen to Bumper-to-Bumper much. I pretty much quit when Joe Anderson moved on.

I agree with KU4LIFE. If Mason wanted to coach, he could go the Solich route and be working in no time flat. I doubt he will be given a major conference shot again.

For the record, I didn't mind Mason as a coach. He did fine up here and maybe he is as good as it gets. At the same time, if I were Maturi, I would have fired Mason a year earlier when he held out all the way to the Bowl Game with the same logic: if this is as good as it gets, why should I pay this guy more? We can go cheaper and hire a nicer guy who is as competent. Maturi's problem is that he hired an incompetent a year later.

It is highly unlikely that any coach who comes to the U of M in the next fifteen to twenty five years will surpass Mason's record at Minnesota of lasting 10 seasons and winning as many games as he won. The odds just are not very good of that happening. I wish Coach Kill nothing but the very best. But, you dudes and dudettes who talk so much smack are just plain out to lunch. The odds of any coach coming to Minnesota and lasting 10 seasons...even with the new stadium got worse when Nebraska came into the Big Ten. Perhaps the addition of Nebraska helps to negate the new stadium, because Mason never had the benefit of the new stadium, even though they needed to extend his contract to get the new stadium deal done. Mason never benefited from it. And, brewster couldn't win more than 6 Big Ten games even though he HAD the promise of the new stadim and eventually the new stadium to benefit from. Hell, he didn't even have the addition of Nebraska to hinder his Big Ten win record. Coach Kill will have the Nebraska factor to deal with right away.

You try to trash people. But, here is the thing: you do NOT have a clue about how tough it is going to be to get a 5-3 OR better Big Ten record every once in a while for Coach Kill or any other coach who is here. And, when the Big Ten schedule goes to 9 Big Ten games, it is going to be even tougher. To get to the 6-6 and 7-5 mark overall can be done...but...to get those 8-4, 9-3 and 10-2 types of records is going to be mighty hard to do. And, if there is any rebuilding to do, it will get any coach off to a tough start. So, winning as many games as possible in the FIRST season is absolutely essential for any coach hoping to last at least five seasons.

And you people just sound so full of yourselves as you try to trash a former player or coach. Just a note to each of you: your talk is cheap. Big Ten wins are mighty hard to come by. Just wait and watch. Getting much past a 4-4 Big Ten record (with the 8 game Big Ten schedule) is a mighty fine piece of work. Some of you NEVER seem to learn...

Can't have a Mason discussion without Wren spouting off. Thanks for stopping by!

Mason got to 5-3 in the Big Ten twice in 10 years. But even Gutekunst got to 5-3 in the Big Ten twice in just six years. There's no reason to think that 5-3 has to be some miraculous thing that only happens every once in a blue moon.

I think things will be easier with 12 teams and two divisions. Look at the SEC or Big 12, you just have to be better than the teams in your division. Getting the the Big Ten Championship will be huge for us. 5-3 and 6-2 could get you in the Championship game. Now it gets us no higher than 4th and passed over for bowls by teams that travel better.

Kill is coming in at the perfect time. This team has some seasoned players and skips Penn State and Ohio State the next two years. Couple that with teams that will take a step back Iowa/MSU and things look up quickly. We could be in the Big Ten championship game in 2012 and Kill may cement his place in history.

I can't blast Mason's comments from the original poster. Maybe it's true? Wouldn't be so fetched.

I think Mason likes what he is doing with the Big Ten Network; I've met him a couple of times and he's always been really nice. I expected him to be pompous, per his reputation, but he was pretty cool.

Funny story from the golf course: Soon after Mason gets canned, he was golfing at a high-end course in the metro where he is a member. He shanks one into the hazard and his caddy goes to retrieve it, as per the usual gig. As the caddy goes over, one of Mason's group jokingly said, "You're going to get that guy's ball? He just got a million dollar buy-out to sit on his ass! Let him get it."

Mase looks over at the caddy and said kind of sheepishly, "Actually, those balls say 'Coach Mason' on 'em. Let it go."

I blasted him for the choking, too; the father of a friend of mine was good friends with Joe Tiller, apparently the Purdue coaches would laugh at Mason's lack of game plan modifications during a game, but Mason deserves credit for turning the Gophers into a program that regularly went to bowl games.

We shouldn't forget that Mason beat Oregon, Alabama and Arkansas in bowl games. Was he perfect? No, the Gophers could have gotten to a Rose Bowl one of his years and SHOULD have. (We're not going to talk about the Michigan collapse.) The Texas Tech collapse showed Mason's worst attributes, but that shouldn't be the endearing legacy of the man.

Mason wasn't Murray Warmath, but he wasn't Tim Brewster, either.

You have to have respect for someone before you lose it. I lost what little respect I had for him when KFAN put up all those billboards of him with the shaved head. Dude looks like Uncle Fester.

Dude wishes he looked AS GOOD AS Uncle Fester.

I thought the more interesting part of the interview was when Dan asked him if Kill could win here. Mase basically said, 'depends how you define winning' and went on to say that when he was hired if you would have told the fan base what he would accomplish over the next ten years that they would be very happy and not think of firing him. The problem with this is that he tries to make it sound like it is unfair to just coaches when that is totally false. If a salesman meets his goals, the goal are increased for the next year. That is life Mase.

Mason could have a job really quickly if he wanted it bad enough. It wouldn't be in the BCS, and wouldn't pay like his BTN job though. He might be able to work his way back up to the BCS, but that BTN job is cushy.

I liked Mase. (which apparently is a supposed indictment itself) I pretty much don't care if he tells stories like these and honestly, the anger people portray toward him here is ridiculous. Move on and stop moaning over how angry he makes you. I would say to "have some respect" but I am unsure how many of the I'm still angry are capable of it.

+1. I swear there is more anger towards Mason then there is towards Monson and Mason was far more successful. He coached here for a decade. He won more then any coach in 40 years. He could have done even better but he didn't really care enough to do that extra 10%. That's frustrating. I get that. But he's not the devil. He was fired. That's what you wanted. We're worse off for it. But both the pro and anti-Mason need to move on.

It's not as though he's sitting at KFAN or the BTN just ripping the Gophers up and down. Certainly not on the BTN. I dont' listen to KFAN. If you're a Gopher fan and you don't want to get enraged, dont' listen to KFAN either.

Top Bottom