Devoe Status

Rodney is more important than Devoe this year? Are you assuming Rodney has all of a sudden reached his potential? Trevor will be very important but we at least already have 2-3 solid big men. We aren't exactly loaded at pg and sg.

IMO, if the gophs are to take a large leap into the top 15 or so, they need a star. And Rodney is the one player on the team with the ability to be a star, in my opinion. I think Devoe has been a better player than Rodney, but I think Rodney has a much higher top end. Also Trevor could be dynamic down low, Sampson and Iverson are lots of things, but neither is dynamic.

Yeah, Rodney has a much higher ceiling. But to think he even has a chance at making that big of a jump in one yr to be more important than Devoe is a little out of the question. Devoe is also more of a need. We need someone who can shoot and create for himself.

IMO, if the gophs are to take a large leap into the top 15 or so, they need a star. And Rodney is the one player on the team with the ability to be a star, in my opinion. I think Devoe has been a better player than Rodney, but I think Rodney has a much higher top end. Also Trevor could be dynamic down low, Sampson and Iverson are lots of things, but neither is dynamic.

Rodney will never be a star in college. He just doesn't have the make-up for it. He can't shoot like Devoe, he can't move with the ball like Devoe. Yes, he can jump and run, but that is it on offense. Add that he doesn't play a position that allows for individual moves all that much. Guards and big men dominate the ball in college. Very good career? For sure. As important as Devoe to this team? Nope.

Maybe people will take you more seriously when you get rid of that stupid picture.

Without getting into the Al v. Devoe debate, does anyone have any solid information about Devoe's status? Wofford is a very good team, and we will be hurting without him in the line-up.

You can choose to believe me or not, but I've heard from more reliable sources than this board that its marijuana. I have no information on a timeline of the suspension. The biggest thing is that he takes a good attitude about the situation (Trevor vs Royce) and works his way back. You have to respect Tubby for sticking to his guns. Suspending Bostick for weed is easy, suspending an important player (no offense Devron) is tougher. LaceDarius Dunn got suspended for 3 games (+2 exhibitions) for possibly breaking his girlfriend's jaw...Devoe will probably miss more games than him. It completely sucks not to have him, but its nice that Tubby has a backbone and some priorities. We're really lucky to have a stand-up guy like him as our Head Coach.

You can choose to believe me or not, but I've heard from more reliable sources than this board that its marijuana. I have no information on a timeline of the suspension. The biggest thing is that he takes a good attitude about the situation (Trevor vs Royce) and works his way back. You have to respect Tubby for sticking to his guns. Suspending Bostick for weed is easy, suspending an important player (no offense Devron) is tougher. LaceDarius Dunn got suspended for 3 games (+2 exhibitions) for possibly breaking his girlfriend's jaw...Devoe will probably miss more games than him. It completely sucks not to have him, but its nice that Tubby has a backbone and some priorities. We're really lucky to have a stand-up guy like him as our Head Coach.

I think Baylor is suspending him for those games for the accusation ... if more comes of it he may be gone longer, this is pure speculation and I only say this because of the circumstances of the case.

Dunn says he didn't do it, the victim says he didn't do it, the victims father says he didn't do it ... the ONLY people saying he did it are the police. In fact, the victim and father both say it is completely untrue that she even suffered a broken jaw.

Baylor is suspending him for the accusation (IMO) and if he gets in more trouble with it he will be gone for much longer, if he comes back at all.

Maybe people will take you more seriously when you get rid of that stupid picture.

burton34: How dare you call gopherbadgerman's picture of me a stupid picture. Shame on you.

No mention on this board about the little argument between Devoe and Tubby early in the 2nd half vs. Indiana. I watched my DVR'd version of the game when I got home - you could see them having words on the sideline, if you watched closely, but the announcers made no mention.

At the 17:30 mark of the 2nd half, Indiana got a rebound and ran up the floor in seemingly innocuous fashion. However, it appeared, in hindsight, that Devoe did not properly close down on the two guys camping on the right side of the 3 point line, the ball was passed to one of them and he canned it to cut the 19 point halftime lead to 13. Then Devoe takes the inbounds up the court and misses a 3 about 6 seconds into the shot clock. Tubby summonsed the bench. Whistle. Devoe out until the 8:xx mark.

As he went to the bench, Devoe was requested by Tubby. Not so gentle words. A glare or two. Devoe seemed to be defending himself, demonstrative gestures, etc. Devoe finally retreated down onto the bench, but neither he nor Tubby was through. More jawing and gesturing from Devoe - like "I thought that's what you wanted me to do" or something like that. Lots more glaring by Tubby. Oh, and of note, Tubby moved from his stool on the sideline to confront Devoe far down the bench and now in his face. Tubby returned to his stool and it was done.

Anybody got any inside information on this? It sort of seemed to me that Tubby had made his point and everything was just sort of heat of the battle. And the fact that Devoe sat so long had more to do with the blowout and giving Allen and Cobbs a chance, more than anything. I thought Devoe played great in the first half, that's for sure.

Just ran across this looking for an old thread... seemed relevant.

Just ran across this looking for an old thread... seemed relevant.

1. Coaches and players all the time have these kind of interactions.

2. How is arguing with your coach relevant to smoking too much weed?

1. Coaches and players all the time have these kind of interactions.

2. How is arguing with your coach relevant to smoking too much weed?

Interesting digging VQueens!

I disagree on #1. I remember this and never got an answer. It was as hot as I've ever seen Tubby at a player. He kept going back for more. Devoe, for his part, was firing back too. Maybe it happens a lot on other teams, with other coaches, but not this one. Tubby glares and yells - like most coaches - but he doesn't go back for more and more and more - in public. And his players don't often get heated right back at him either.....

Top Bottom