Devoe Status

Bottom line, if Devoe misses 5 games it would suck. That would hurt the PR Tip Off chances. That said, from piecing together all the posts and speculation, it does not appear that Devoe will be hurt or out long term. That said, 2,3,4 or 5 games missed is more than we expected a week ago.

Lastly, lets not start crying about the sky falling and saying the gophers are thugs based on speculation (not accusing anyone, more expecting it to come ). Besides, none of what it being talked about sounds very serious to me, maybe lack in judgement, but that's not the worst crime a young man ever committed.

The Devoe hater's are completely ignorant. He stepped up as the primary ball handler when Nolen sat out and played well. Then played out of his mind in the Big Ten Tourney against some great defensive teams. He has developed into an above average Big Ten guard who can make the big shot.

Wow. That's up there for embarrassing posts. His perimeter defense is average? There are no words for that.

"Academics aside, Devoe should not be starting over Nolen. While he doesn't show up in the scoring column, Al is twice the point guard Devoe is, and probably about five times the defender. Granted, the scoring takes a hit with Joseph on bench since Nolen basically can't score, but Al has edge is just about everything else and he is crucial to the team's success, and I'd argue more important than Devoe."

Now this is a funny post. Al Nolen is near the bottom of all pg's in the Big Ten. He would not start for any other Big Ten team IMO. Not even Iowa. Al plays some decent defense if you like flashy steals, but his perimeter defense is average and his offense is zilch.

5 games counting the Winona State game would mean a return in the final game of the Puerto Rico Shoot-Out. Excluding the exhibition game would mean a return vs. NDSU on the 24th. I'd guess it's more likely to be the latter, if it indeed the suspension is a 5-gamer.

So is the assumption that Devoe got caught in a random?

1. Al nolen would start PG at almost any school in the B10 save Illinois, Mich state, and maybe purdue depending on where they play moore. Devoe was only a sophmore averaging 10ppg, and looked to improve that steadily this year, no big deal or anything.

Total nonsense. To even think Al would start for PSU, WI, NW, IL, is just homerism at it's finest. Thise that talk about Al's job on Turner last year seem to be forgetting that Turner had been out for a long time and was not in game shape. Also, let's look how other pg's faired against Al in Big Ten play. In most games the pg position is a net negative for MN.

Tweet from GopherLady:

"Got 99% confirmation that Devoe Jospeh's issues are not academic. Look for him to possibly be out 5 games."

Go Gophers!!

If this is true, I am VERY disappointed in Tubby or whoever is ruling on that suspension, Absolutley ridiculous. MSU's Korie Lucious got a DWI and his punishment? "At least TWO games" Regardless what Devoe did, he is not arrested nor in the news and he could not have done anything as serious as a DWI for this to be the case. If he is out longer than Lucious, that is plain stupidity and pointless.

Or does it just mean Izzo is lax coach? (I doubt it ...)

Until we know exactly what Devoe did (in all likelihood we'll never know), I think it's impossible to compare his punishment to what Lucious received at MSU. It could be something more minor than what Lucious did, as you pointed out, or it could be something more serious. Just because we don't know about it doesn't mean it wasn't a serious offense or breaking of team/society rules. I'm guessing pattern of behavior always plays a part in these things, too. Each case is different. Whatever the punishment, I hope Devoe learns something out of all this.

Now this is a funny post. Al Nolen is near the bottom of all pg's in the Big Ten. He would not start for any other Big Ten team IMO. Not even Iowa. Al plays some decent defense if you like flashy steals said:
While Al does play good pressure defense, and takes care of the ball well at times (bringing the ball up the court), his vision isn't the greatest.

He tends to dribble too much in the half court, fails to move/swing the ball quickly to the open player, and we all know about his perimiter and finishing problems.

As far as point guard ball distribution skills, Hoffarber probably does a better job of getting the ball to people in the right spot. I get real frustrated with Al when he has the ball in half court. Al does not make good decisions with the ball when it comes to distributing it quickly and efficiently. He also dribbles too much.

Between Al and Ralph, I might end up wrecking the TV this year.

- Did you know that Trevor Mbakwe takes performance enhancing drugs, specifically, by bathing every night in the blood of 100 virgins?

No way there are that many virgins at the U.

Whatever the punishment, I hope Devoe learns something out of all this.

Exactly... we can hopefully all move on after said punishment (if it is that?) is done.

I'm just going to wait until something is actually announced. Crazy concept, huh?

Annoying

I really do hate how Tubby handles these situations. Why doesn't he just come right out and tell us what the problem is. What's the point of not telling us? All it does is cause a ton of rumors.

I disagree with your comment about the rumors. If Tubby came out and explained exactly what happened it would likely be an embarrassment to Devoe. And then the internet experts would say Tubby only told half the story and would begin guessing or making up what may have happened in addition to what Tubby announced. The most typical announcement that I have seen in these circumstances is something like - Player X has been suspended for Y games for non compliance with team rules.

Until we know exactly what Devoe did (in all likelihood we'll never know), I think it's impossible to compare his punishment to what Lucious received at MSU. It could be something more minor than what Lucious did, as you pointed out, or it could be something more serious. Just because we don't know about it doesn't mean it wasn't a serious offense or breaking of team/society rules. I'm guessing pattern of behavior always plays a part in these things, too. Each case is different. Whatever the punishment, I hope Devoe learns something out of all this.

This is probably true. As long as this is Tubby's call, I can accept it. I just hope it's not being dictated by the meddling AD or others above him. I found it bothersome that Brew seemingly was allowed to dish out his own punishments but a far more accomplished coach like Tubby had Joel dictating matters. I know each situation is different. But seeing Carter, etc. on the football team get by with underage consumpiton while the basketball punishments were much more severe did not make sense.

To FOT

FOT:

Any "insight" on this? Is Tubby historically pretty tough on guys that screw up? Or if it is a harsh punishment, would you speculate that would come from above? I'm just thinking, some coaches - maybe Tubby - give guys a long leash, but when they screw it up, they don't get off lightly. Kind of a personal-responsibility-with-severe-consequences system.

While Al does play good pressure defense, and takes care of the ball well at times (bringing the ball up the court), his vision isn't the greatest.

He tends to dribble too much in the half court, fails to move/swing the ball quickly to the open player, and we all know about his perimiter and finishing problems.

As far as point guard ball distribution skills, Hoffarber probably does a better job of getting the ball to people in the right spot. I get real frustrated with Al when he has the ball in half court. Al does not make good decisions with the ball when it comes to distributing it quickly and efficiently. He also dribbles too much.

Between Al and Ralph, I might end up wrecking the TV this year.

agree on all points...
against WS:

vision ex: he had Rodney wide open and all alone on the left side.. Al didn't even look over there... Rodney came to him after a whistle and joked with him about it... at Cooper, it would have been a highlight reel dunk.

distribution skills ex: many of the turnovers from the bigs are a result of an unexpected passes from Al.. it hits off Colton's hands only because it wasn't well placed nor well timed... and we blame Colton.

dribbles too much ex: Tucker punched it away from him from behind with 1:30 remaining while Al dribbled and dribbled. ( True, Al was trying to keep it away from RS3 who had just had a pony-league cross-court pass picked off by Tucker and tossed in for a 3. )

"Academics aside, Devoe should not be starting over Nolen. While he doesn't show up in the scoring column, Al is twice the point guard Devoe is, and probably about five times the defender. Granted, the scoring takes a hit with Joseph on bench since Nolen basically can't score, but Al has edge is just about everything else and he is crucial to the team's success, and I'd argue more important than Devoe."

Now this is a funny post. Al Nolen is near the bottom of all pg's in the Big Ten. He would not start for any other Big Ten team IMO. Not even Iowa. Al plays some decent defense if you like flashy steals, but his perimeter defense is average and his offense is zilch.

I love flashy steals.

agree on all points...
against WS:

vision ex: he had Rodney wide open and all alone on the left side.. Al didn't even look over there... Rodney came to him after a whistle and joked with him about it... at Cooper, it would have been a highlight reel dunk.

distribution skills ex: many of the turnovers from the bigs are a result of an unexpected passes from Al.. it hits off Colton's hands only because it wasn't well placed nor well timed... and we blame Colton.

dribbles too much ex: Tucker punched it away from him from behind with 1:30 remaining while Al dribbled and dribbled. ( True, Al was trying to keep it away from RS3 who had just had a pony-league cross-court pass picked off by Tucker and tossed in for a 3. )

One of the fundamental rules of basketball is to ALWAYS be ready for the ball. And a football rule that applies, If it hits your hands - you'd better catch it.

One of the fundamental rules of basketball is to ALWAYS be ready for the ball. And a football rule that applies, If it hits your hands - you'd better catch it.

i was always taught to 'never force a play'.

anyway, comparing a hoops 'big' to a WR is a reach... the only think a WR has to do is catch the ball in a set pattern.. Colton has to worry about rebounding Al's miss and then be blamed when the pass from Al arrives 1 time in 100? as a coach, i'll allow that turnover but take the 20 offensive rebounds on the other 99 processions Colton gives me. Then i tell Al to play within himself.

I think I understand your point, that Al forces these passes and the posts aren't really ready for them, but I'm going to nitpick a little. If it hits them in the hands, how is it not well placed? I understand that its not necessarily Colton's fault if he doesn't catch it, but I don't see how it could be placed any better.

Without getting into the Al v. Devoe debate, does anyone have any solid information about Devoe's status? Wofford is a very good team, and we will be hurting without him in the line-up.

I think I understand your point, that Al forces these passes and the posts aren't really ready for them, but I'm going to nitpick a little. If it hits them in the hands, how is it not well placed? I understand that its not necessarily Colton's fault if he doesn't catch it, but I don't see how it could be placed any better.

same reason not all balls that hit the rim go in... some shots have touch, some dont. some passes have timing and touch, some dont.

also remember colton is in a physical tussle for postion with several others... boxing out, getting ready to jump, guys trying to cut inside him for inside postion.. a dozen things going on at once... the then ball, out of nowhere, hits him in the hand(s) when hes not looking nor expecting?

I don't know what issues are covered by privacy laws, but the U has to follow privacy laws for scholarship players as well as anyone else.

I think Devoe's loss hurts and he is a good player, but he is not a star. IMO Rodney and Trevor are more talented and important to this team taking a large step forward this year.

Rodney is more important than Devoe this year? Are you assuming Rodney has all of a sudden reached his potential? Trevor will be very important but we at least already have 2-3 solid big men. We aren't exactly loaded at pg and sg.

I think Devoe's loss hurts and he is a good player, but he is not a star. IMO Rodney and Trevor are more talented and important to this team taking a large step forward this year.

Top Bottom