Devoe Status

I'm of the opinion that Devoe is the most important player on the team. His skill set is the most difficult to replace given what else we have on the roster.

Without Devoe, they go from a borderline top 25 team to squarely on the bubble in expanded field of 68.

If it's an attitude problem, I'd be upset as well if I were Devoe and not starting. Devoe should start over Al and it's not even close. He should be starting. If it's an academic problem, then Tubby has to do what he has to do.

Agree. Without Devoe we are toast.

If it's an attitude problem, I'd be upset as well if I were Devoe and not starting. Devoe should start over Al and it's not even close. He should be starting. If it's an academic problem, then Tubby has to do what he has to do.

Academics aside, Devoe should not be starting over Nolen. While he doesn't show up in the scoring column, Al is twice the point guard Devoe is, and probably about five times the defender. Granted, the scoring takes a hit with Joseph on bench since Nolen basically can't score, but Al has edge is just about everything else and he is crucial to the team's success, and I'd argue more important than Devoe.

His issues have nothing to do with academics or injuries... He has an off court issue that he needs to quit doing.

This stuff is just part of basketball culture. It's just surprising that upperclassmen would be the ones getting caught. Boombostick, Devoe and Stoudermire (football)? C'mon kids...

That's not a huge deal to me, but hopefully he can lay off it during the season. What did Bostick get for a penalty for this last year?

We obviously really need Devoe, he's our best scorer and one of our best players.

This thread has turned into a whole lot of speculation from a guy's vague third post in this forum.

This thread has turned into a whole lot of speculation from a guy's vague third post in this forum.

Here's more "speculation": The things a coach tolerates when in the midst of recruiting your top prospect brother are not the same things tolerated when that brother decides to go to Texas.

Don't be so quick to kill the messengers or you might miss info that actual journalists have a much harder time reporting because of legal constraints.

The biggest surprise in this scenario is that Tubby is finally coming from behind that "injury" excuse--something serious must be pending when that happens. Stay tuned.

Here's more "speculation": The things a coach tolerates when in the midst of recruiting your top prospect brother are not the same things tolerated when that brother decides to go to Texas.

Don't be so quick to kill the messengers or you might miss info that actual journalists have a much harder time reporting because of legal constraints.

The biggest surprise in this scenario is that Tubby is finally coming from behind that "injury" excuse--something serious must be pending when that happens. Stay tuned.

Other things that journalists are prevented from reporting due to legal constraints:

- Did you know that President Bruinicks was TOTALLY not born in this country? Seriously, have you seen his birth certificate?

- Did you know that the loss in the NCAA tourney was actually orchestrated by the U Student Government as an excuse to invade Wisconsin?

- Did you know that Coach Tubby Smith is actually a LIZARD PERSON come here to establish a New World Order?

- Did you know that Trevor Mbakwe takes performance enhancing drugs, specifically, by bathing every night in the blood of 100 virgins?

- Did you know that if you fall asleep on the U Campus, your liver will be cut out by Colt Iverson, and you'll wake up in a bathtub full of ice?

I have no evidence of this, but my hunch is we're dealing with a mountain being made out of a mole hill.

Perhaps disappointment at not being a starter (for the time being) + a little mischief/skipped class(es) off the court = some time on the sidelines (perhaps the Wofford game). Best way to get through to a kid if he's pouting/misbehaving/slacking off on the books (or whatever the deed was) is to show him some bench time. That's the best way to get your point across.

Other things that journalists are prevented from reporting due to legal constraints:

- Did you know that President Bruinicks was TOTALLY not born in this country? Seriously, have you seen his birth certificate?

- Did you know that the loss in the NCAA tourney was actually orchestrated by the U Student Government as an excuse to invade Wisconsin?

- Did you know that Coach Tubby Smith is actually a LIZARD PERSON come here to establish a New World Order?

- Did you know that Trevor Mbakwe takes performance enhancing drugs, specifically, by bathing every night in the blood of 100 virgins?

- Did you know that if you fall asleep on the U Campus, your liver will be cut out by Colt Iverson, and you'll wake up in a bathtub full of ice?

Hahaha... you got jokes! :rolleyes:

Hope your "humor" sustains you if/when Joseph continues to sit on the bench because of "speculations" and "leg injuries." Most monsters aren't born, they are created-- many times unintentionally.

Let's also hope that SS is correct--preventative medicine usually works. It would be more fun to see this team reach its full potential ON the court this season rather than fill the sports pages with off-court issues.

Why else do you think I voted for him in the 2008 election?

lizardpeopleb.jpg

"Academics aside, Devoe should not be starting over Nolen. While he doesn't show up in the scoring column, Al is twice the point guard Devoe is, and probably about five times the defender. Granted, the scoring takes a hit with Joseph on bench since Nolen basically can't score, but Al has edge is just about everything else and he is crucial to the team's success, and I'd argue more important than Devoe."

Now this is a funny post. Al Nolen is near the bottom of all pg's in the Big Ten. He would not start for any other Big Ten team IMO. Not even Iowa. Al plays some decent defense if you like flashy steals, but his perimeter defense is average and his offense is zilch.

"Academics aside, Devoe should not be starting over Nolen. While he doesn't show up in the scoring column, Al is twice the point guard Devoe is, and probably about five times the defender. Granted, the scoring takes a hit with Joseph on bench since Nolen basically can't score, but Al has edge is just about everything else and he is crucial to the team's success, and I'd argue more important than Devoe."

Now this is a funny post. Al Nolen is near the bottom of all pg's in the Big Ten. He would not start for any other Big Ten team IMO. Not even Iowa. Al plays some decent defense if you like flashy steals, but his perimeter defense is average and his offense is zilch.

Really?

Tell that to Evan Turner last year.

Darren "Doogie" Wolfson twitter:
"Devoe Joseph update (not sure if this is out there or not): hearing there's more to his off-the-court issues than academics." about 2 hours ago via web

There is something that isn't being said obviously that doesn't involve academics or injury. Hopefully just something that Tubby and Devoe can sit down and get resolved quickly. I expect we'll hear something from the team tomorrow. I think after its all said and done Devoe will be on the floor Friday. I could be totally wrong though, as I'm just speculating like everyone else here

Great to see you're already salivating over the idea of Devoe not playing the entire season. Not sure why you're even talking about the possibility of that happening.

I'm not, but thanks for playing. I hope he plays, averages 15 a game, and leads the Gophs to a 18-0 b B10 record.

devoes fan boys on this forum are very annoying He is an average big ten sg at best and a below average pg. Ya he is important for the gophers this year, but the sky isn't falling.

devoes fan boys on this forum are very annoying He is an average big ten sg at best and a below average pg. Ya he is important for the gophers this year, but the sky isn't falling.

Hey Brew, I think a new moniker is in order.

At least we don't have to wait for Devoe to make a youtube video and 'splain it all.

The only thing more annoying that Devoe fan boys are Devoe haters. Calling him average at best is an insult.

1. Al nolen would start PG at almost any school in the B10 save Illinois, Mich state, and maybe purdue depending on where they play moore. Devoe was only a sophmore averaging 10ppg, and looked to improve that steadily this year, no big deal or anything.

Tweet from GopherLady:

"Got 99% confirmation that Devoe Jospeh's issues are not academic. Look for him to possibly be out 5 games."

Go Gophers!!

Per gopherlady twitter.
Got 99% confirmation that Devoe Jospeh's issues are not academic. Look for him to possibly be out 5 games.

I think its a little annoying that you find it necessary to compare him to other pgs and sgs in the league. I could care less how u think he compares. But i will say that most people would probably disagree with you and would say he played well above average for the 2nd half of last year and in the B10 tourney for being a sophomore. and if you watched the game last night against winona you would know we were definitely missing his presence, especially offensively in the half court.

Top Bottom