Devoe Joseph to transfer?

I was under the impression that the loop hole didn't exactly exist as some hoped it would.

A little too cryptic for me, my dude. Are you referring to Cothron?

It would seem strange to allow such a transfer in, transfer out, but I'm just not sure on this one.

Clearly, leaving a D1 school that has announced a transition to a D3 school and heading to another D1 school and playing immediately is doable (off hand, thinking of Chase Adams from Centenary to Pitt last year.. or Carl Blair from UNO to Oklahoma this year)... the question might be whether it's only applicable to kids that were already at a particular school when the transition was announced... I would like to know.

Cothron was an Auburn commit, but a non-qualifier... went to UMASS and was going to sit as a non-qualifier this year.. then all of a sudden dude is down in New Orleans, coach has never even met him in person before, and the next night he is playing for UNO against Tulane.. that was ~Dec 14.. apparently shortly thereafter, the NCAA said something.. but, I don't know if that was related to his academics or to the ability to become immediately eligible elsewhere next summer... or something else.

I thought K.C. Ross-Miller was generally in the same position...non-qualifier that just went to UNO.. and I thought he played in their last game, but that was back on 12/22 (i.e., Ross-Miller came to UNO after Cothron played in his one and only game)... UNO has another game.. starting right about now, actually.. maybe I'll check in and see if he's on the bench tonight.

If anyone can provide clarity, please do.

Okay, if I replaced the word "pushed" with "developed" or "allowed to play" would you understand the point better? The Joseph family pulled an okey-dokey on Tubby and he was pissed. Took it out on Devoe and now Devoe has had enough and wants to leave. Clear enough for you now?

As for the "fitting in" part, no my intellect goes over the heads of most of the people who comment on my posts, so I don't fit in at all. :cry:

Wow. I apologize for misunderstanding you and you get all snippy. Yikes...

I'd point out that pushed, allowed to play, and developed have pretty different meanings and connotations so yea, that would have made your point more clear.

Define okey-dokey and how it has to do with Tubby "allowing Devoe to play" point.

Lastly, I'm glad your self esteem is not lacking.

Tubby Had A Number Of Transfers At UK

Arguably only M Bradley succeeded elsewhere. The late M Stone did somewhat. The others didn't:

Myron Anthony 1998-99 6-7 F Texas Christian
Desmond Allison 1999-00 6-5 F/G Martin Methodist College
Michael Bradley 1999-00 6-10 C Villanova
Ryan Hogan 1999-00 6-3 G Iowa
Nate Knight 1999-00 6-8 F Brigham Young
Jason Parker 2000-01 6-8 F-C South Carolina
Rashaad Carruth 2001-02 6-3 G Oklahoma
Adam Chiles 2001-02 6-1 G Vincennes Junior College
Cory Sears 2001-02 6-6 F Union College
Marvin Stone 2001-02 6-10 F-C Louisville
Bernard Cote 2003-04 6-9 F Northwestern
Shagari Alleyne 2005-06 7-3 C Manhattan
Rekalin Sims 2005-06 6-8 F Fresno State
Adam Williams 2005-06 6-4 G Marshall

Give me a break. No one is saying he's the greatest coach who ever lived (well maybe FOT is) but for you to not acknowledge he's at least in the upper half of BCS coaches (more like top 20) and that whoever we get would likely be worse, not better, is moronic. Every coach who isn't proven is 'up and coming' when they get a job in the Big 10, including Dan Monson. That proves squat.

Bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. I've consistently said he's one of the Top 15 active coaches, period. I never said the other crap you alleged.

Let him leave. Who cares. Opens up another scholarship to sign a PG.

I've consistently said he's one of the Top 15 active coaches, period.

Let's start this list--not in any particular order (except that these are probably better than or possibly equal to Tubby).

Izzo
Matta
Bo Ryan
Majerus
Billy Donovan
Pitino
Calipari
Howland
Dixon
Calhoun
Bruce Weber (Tie)
Coach K
Roy Williams
Bill Self
Gary Williams
Boeheim
Jay Wright
Huggins
Mark Few (no way Tubby wins like that at Gonzaga)
Bruce Pearl

Tubby has shown that he is a decent coach, but he is borderline top-15 active, at best.

The only ones on this list I might not trade straight up for Tubby (without accounting for crookedness) are Few, Weber, and Dixon.

Let's start this list--not in any particular order (except that these are probably better than or possibly equal to Tubby).

Izzo
Matta
Bo Ryan
Majerus
Billy Donovan
Pitino
Calipari
Howland
Dixon
Calhoun
Bruce Weber (Tie)
Coach K
Roy Williams
Bill Self
Gary Williams
Boeheim
Jay Wright
Huggins
Mark Few (no way Tubby wins like that at Gonzaga)
Bruce Pearl

Tubby has shown that he is a decent coach, but he is borderline top-15 active, at best.

The only ones on this list I might not trade straight up for Tubby (without accounting for crookedness) are Few, Weber, and Dixon.

Eliminate the slick-haired cheaters and the list shrinks. And of the 13 that are left, the only ones I'd trade Tubby for are Izzo, Coach K, Pitino and Howland. I think you'd be very hard-pressed to find many that would rather have Majerus, Gary Williams or Bruce Weber. Not even close.

Arguably only M Bradley succeeded elsewhere. The late M Stone did somewhat. The others didn't:

Myron Anthony 1998-99 6-7 F Texas Christian
Desmond Allison 1999-00 6-5 F/G Martin Methodist College
Michael Bradley 1999-00 6-10 C Villanova
Ryan Hogan 1999-00 6-3 G Iowa
Nate Knight 1999-00 6-8 F Brigham Young
Jason Parker 2000-01 6-8 F-C South Carolina
Rashaad Carruth 2001-02 6-3 G Oklahoma
Adam Chiles 2001-02 6-1 G Vincennes Junior College
Cory Sears 2001-02 6-6 F Union College
Marvin Stone 2001-02 6-10 F-C Louisville
Bernard Cote 2003-04 6-9 F Northwestern
Shagari Alleyne 2005-06 7-3 C Manhattan
Rekalin Sims 2005-06 6-8 F Fresno State
Adam Williams 2005-06 6-4 G Marshall

Wow! That's a lot of transfers in 7 years. That's half his recruits. That's either a ton of recruiting mistakes or a lot of kids that become dissatisfied.

Eliminate the slick-haired cheaters and the list shrinks. And of the 13 that are left, the only ones I'd trade Tubby for are Izzo, Coach K, Pitino and Howland. I think you'd be very hard-pressed to find many that would rather have Majerus, Gary Williams or Bruce Weber. Not even close.

Look Tubby is terrific for this place. He has great credibility. At this point I really believe he needs to turn some of his assistants over - perhaps Saul among them. He needs some new input.

Yet another angle:
Brothers can be quite competitive and the elder often struggles if their younger siblings eclipse them.
I think Joseph is pressing, wanting to be on the same level as his younger, more talented brother - which he is not. What is the easiest way to deal with this?
Blame the situation you are in.

I'm surprised at all the Tubby criticism here. You never would've had Devoe in the first place had it not been for Tubby. He has your program in as good a shape as it's been (without academic fraud) in decades. Lots of players transfer, it happens everywhere. The fact that Devoe is a somewhat prominent (i.e., played a lot & averaged 10+ ppg) player makes him an unusual prospect for transferring, but he's hardly irreplaceable - heck, the team might perform better without him.

I'm surprised at all the Tubby criticism here. You never would've had Devoe in the first place had it not been for Tubby. He has your program in as good a shape as it's been (without academic fraud) in decades. Lots of players transfer, it happens everywhere. The fact that Devoe is a somewhat prominent (i.e., played a lot & averaged 10+ ppg) player makes him an unusual prospect for transferring, but he's hardly irreplaceable - heck, the team might perform better without him.

A lot of players transfer when they are Juniors? This team is short of scorers and losing Devoe will help? Hmm?

A lot of players transfer when they are Juniors? This team is short of scorers and losing Devoe will help? Hmm?

A lot of players transfer, don't twist what I said. There isn't one set time when players transfer - usually not when they're juniors, but it happens sometimes. The Gophers played better earlier in the season without Devoe - and it was because they played better defense - maybe they will find their early season form with him off the team.

This was just posted on Twitter not too long ago and doesn't look all that great, especially since it looks like Damian is agreeing with Cobbs.

VIPJohnson34 Damian Johnson
@WHYN0TJCOBBS just out here on my international *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#....u could be gettin hella minutes at Minnesota lmao

WHYN0TJCOBBS JUSTIN COBBS
@VIPJohnson34 lmao why u say that ?? u know tubby is crazy bro

VIPJohnson34 Damian Johnson Lmao my bro @devoejoe outta there RT @WHYN0TJCOBBS:

@VIPJohnson34 lmao it must be fasho fasho ? why tho javis ?

The same reason u left fool dull RT @WHYN0TJCOBBS:

@VIPJohnson34 lol yall thought i was playin bro . dude is mental mann . i was the smart one . one and done haha

@WHYN0TJCOBBS lmao chill bro watch Wat u say on here but we all know the deal

If you're having trouble reading it, DJ is the one who starts the conversation and Cobbs is the one responding.

This was just posted on Twitter not too long ago and doesn't look all that great, especially since it looks like Damian is agreeing with Cobbs.

@VIPJohnson34 lmao why u say that ?? u know tubby is crazy bro

VIPJohnson34 Damian Johnson Lmao my bro @devoejoe outta there RT @WHYN0TJCOBBS:

@VIPJohnson34 lmao it must be fasho fasho ? why tho javis ?

The same reason u left fool dull RT @WHYN0TJCOBBS:

@VIPJohnson34 lol yall thought i was playin bro . dude is mental mann . i was the smart one . one and done haha

@WHYN0TJCOBBS lmao chill bro watch Wat u say on here but we all know the deal
We haven't heard this kind of negative information from former players before regarding Tubby? Has it just been kept under wraps or what? When even Damian Johnson (a former captain, 4 year letter winner, and well-respected former player) says "we all know the deal" when Cobbs is talking pretty negatively, doesn't this alarm anyone else?

I'm not asking if there is a pattern here, but I'm starting to get more concerned than I was even 24 hours ago. FoT shows the large amount of transfers Tubby had at UK; we've had a good amount of transfers/issues/people leaving the program here so far in his 4 years at the U...what the HECK is going on?

I feel like I'm in the dark here...there must be some underlying issues that we just don't hear about? :confused: Is he too strict of a disciplinarian, personality conflicts with players, what? Can anyone shed some light on anything here?

I was thinking the same thing. I mean I could really care less what Justin Cobbs has to say considering he seemed like a baby last year and decided to transfer. But when a former, well-respected player like Johnson actually agrees with Cobbs? That is when I start to worry a bit.

I was thinking the same thing. I mean I could really care less what Justin Cobbs has to say considering he seemed like a baby last year and decided to transfer. But when a former, well-respected player like Johnson actually agrees with Cobbs? That is when I start to worry a bit.

I don't think Damian's comment "we all know the deal" means what you think it means. I think it means, "we all know why Devoe is leaving," as opposed to "we all know what Tubby is like."

I don't think Damian's comment "we all know the deal" means what you think it means. I think it means, "we all know why Devoe is leaving," as opposed to "we all know what Tubby is like."

I certainly don't see your interpretation of their twitter conversation. It seems pretty clear that the "deal" refers to Tubby's relationship with certain players.

I certainly don't see your interpretation of their twitter conversation. It seems pretty clear that the "deal" refers to Tubby's relationship with certain players.

Let's not blow this thing out of proportion. DJ clearly heard the Justin Cobbs story before and "he know the deal" already. Dame is playing in Japan (time difference) and likely doesn't care to re-litigate Justin's case again.

As for Devoe, I don't want to suppose his issues but they seem to be several. He wouldn't have recommended Big Mo to the U if he thought it was so bad. In fairness to Devoe, he knows how well his little brother Corey is playing at Texas, getting the starting nod for them. He played a pivotal role in the Big Ten tourney and may wish he had more playing time.

As has been pointed out by several, other universities are facing similar issues with their players all the time.

Top Bottom