Destiny PItts: Transfers to Texas A&M (All Things Suspension and Transfer Related)

Video of the coaches show. Lindsey addresses it at the start. I don't like the "keep evaluating" response
I actually look at it the other way, these shows are recorded in the morning so before practice, which means 2 more practices and a shoot around before the game still. Since it wasnt anything definitive it leads me to think that everything might be progressing the right way, of course i could be way off there.

Last edited:

Per Whalen's media today.

Pitts still suspended, not practicing with the team and not playing tomorrow.

The Bellos were suspended for unknown reason but are practicing with the team. Unknown if they will play tomorrow.

And, here's his story from the Strib web site:

Destiny Pitts, the leading scorer for the Gophers women’s basketball team, is still suspended and is expected to miss her second consecutive game Thursday when Minnesota faces Iowa at Williams Arena, head coach Lindsay Whalen said Wednesday.

Pitts’ suspension for “conduct unbecoming a member of the team” was announced in a statement before Sunday’s game at Illinois. She is still a member of the team, Whalen said, but Pitts was not going to participate in practice Wednesday.
“To be an athlete at the University of Minnesota comes with high standards and expectations,” Whalen said Wednesday while reading from a prepared statement at the start of her media access period. “When those are not met, there are consequences. I will always respect the privacy of a student-athlete. So I will not go into any detail to what led to my decision, or what has transpired since. But, with that said, I can tell you that Destiny Pitts’ status has not changed. She remains suspended.”
Taiye Bello — the Big Ten’s leading rebounder — and reserve Kehinde Bello also did not make the trip nor play in the 74-71 loss at Illinois. They are back with the Gophers, Whalen said, and will practice Wednesday but their status for Thursday’s game is still to be determined. When asked if the absence of the Bello sisters at Illinois was related to Pitts’ situation, Whalen replied, “um, no.”
When asked if she thinks the situation with Pitts can be resolved, Whalen said: “Yes. But as I said, I’m not going to go into details as to what that is. But yes.”

No Gophers players were made available for Wednesday’s media access.
The loss at Illinois was Minnesota’s fourth consecutive defeat after an 11-1 start, and the Gophers now have to face No. 22-ranked Iowa without their leading scorer.

link: www.startribune.com/leading-scorer-destiny-pitts-still-suspended-as-gophers-women-prepare-for-iowa/567011222/

Sounded more hopeful that the Bello sisters might be available for the IO. game after practicing today. Interesting that she said these are two separate issues. She sounded less positive about Pitts but obviously since she is still suspended there was not much she was going to say other than she is still on the team.

When asked if the absence of the Bello sisters at Illinois was related to Pitts’ situation, Whalen replied, “um, no.”

It seemed like she had to pause and think about it before saying ‘no’.

A good question that needed to be asked is the Pitts suspension related to whatever caused her to be benched in the Northwestern game?

Per Whalen's media today.

When asked if the absence of the Bello sisters at Illinois was related to Pitts’ situation, Whalen replied, “um, no.”

Lindsay flat out lied to the media with this response. The Bello sisters sat out last Saturday's practice and trip to Illinois in protest of Destiny's suspension. Have this information directly from a student athlete on the team. More players wanted to do the same, but were too fearful of acts of reprisal by the coaching staff.

Lindsay flat out lied to the media with this response. The Bello sisters sat out last Saturday's practice and trip to Illinois in protest of Destiny's suspension. Have this information directly from a student athlete on the team. More players wanted to do the same, but were too fearful of acts of reprisal by the coaching staff.
The whole press conference was interesting. Lindsay seemed pretty hesitant when answering a lot of the questions. I was surprised when she claimed the Bellos being out was unrelated to Destiny. It seems clear that is not truthful. I can appreciate respecting the privacy of student athletes, but it would be nice to get at least a little more from Lindsay. It's a very difficult situation all around, and there are lots of people who truly care about this program and the players.

As much as we fans and supporters want all the information on what is going on here, we need to understand we're not going to get it. University policies and privacy polices just don't allow it. If Whalen breaks those rules by saying much it puts her at risk of punishment, too. And, any player who is feeding any information outside the rules is at fault, too.

We just aren't going to ever get the full story.

So, it is back to the Barn and cheer on whichever Gophers hit the floor tonight. If you want to boo Whalen when she is introduced or not cheer, that's a personal choice folks can make if they want to.

Ok hear me out,
Whalen in the technical sense didn't lie. Destiny was due to "Contact Unbecoming", if the bellos did it out of protest, technically theirs wasn't due to conduct unbecoming. and it was a lose/lose situation for Whalen. If she answers that question and says "yes related" then there is 10 more questions coming her way. Like why is two back but Destiny is not?

Its a first time for her going through this as a coach. No player is bigger than the team. NO PLAYER. Hopefully things get back on track off the court and they have less distractions.

I was told through a reliable source that Destiny is REFUSING to sign and go through with the "action plan" to complete her suspension. Now that's arrogant and cocky! I can't believe the athletic department is putting up with this!

Not sure what Destiny did but wow. Why not just admit you messed up and move forward? Why keep dragging this out longer than necessary?

All you board newbies who act like you have all the answers have to realize that it’s tough to take what you say as the complete truth because you’re an anonymous voice on the board. Show or say something convincing that would help us believe beyond a shadow of a doubt what you’re saying about this situation.

All you board newbies who act like you have all the answers have to realize that it’s tough to take what you say as the complete truth because you’re an anonymous voice on the board. Show or say something convincing that would help us believe beyond a shadow of a doubt what you’re saying about this situation.
To all of the board old and retired ?, I'm sure what I said is hard to believe, but I can not put the source of my information out. I would never be told anything else. Yes, you are right. I'm only spilling this information because I can be anonymous. Just thought I would let everyone know, since everyone is asking. You don't have to believe me, BUT IT'S TRUE

Last edited:

Ok hear me out,
Whalen in the technical sense didn't lie. Destiny was due to "Contact Unbecoming", if the bellos did it out of protest, technically theirs wasn't due to conduct unbecoming. and it was a lose/lose situation for Whalen. If she answers that question and says "yes related" then there is 10 more questions coming her way. Like why is two back but Destiny is not?

Its a first time for her going through this as a coach. No player is bigger than the team. NO PLAYER. Hopefully things get back on track off the court and they have less distractions.
The question was whether the Bellos' situation was related, not whether the reason they didn't play was also for "conduct unbecoming." Whalen could simply have chosen to say "No comment." Instead, she said "No." If it was related -- and admittedly, we do not know that yet -- then she lied.

I'm a huge fan of Destiny..but with all respect she may need to grow up a bit. During any game the coach is always right. When I was a younger athlete I let my emotions get away from me at times with some coaches and found myself on the bench. I realized very quickly then (and still now after decades of retrospect) that I was out of line. I had a private meeting, discussed my problem and apologized. My coach respected my competitive nature and accepted the apology and I got back to crushing the competition. If any player has an issue during a game or practice they can't argue or blow off any coach during a game. Period. They can't have a locker room explosion in front of teammates. They must show maturity and wait to discuss it privately, one-on-one, with the coach(es). In this setting coaches may actually acknowledge and concede to your point. It is amazing how both parties respect and admire each other so much more after those meetings. Your teammates will also see you as more of a leader as well.

#1 Road game, so no reporter there. They use stringers or wire service for those games.
#2 If Whalen ever talks, they will have something.
Now it's the fourth day after the Illinois game, and still there is not a single word on the Minnesota Daily website about this situation. In fact, not even the game itself is mentioned there; the last thing they wrote about the women's basketball team was the loss to Northwestern on Jan. 11. If a similar player suspension had happened with the men's team, even for a road game, do you think the Daily would also have written nothing about it? Please.

I was told through a reliable source that Destiny is REFUSING to sign and go through with the "action plan" to complete her suspension. Now that's arrogant and cocky! I can't believe the athletic department is putting up with this!

A signed "action plan" demand seem's a sure way of tossing fuel on the fire. I keep getting the feeling that Whalen quickly spun this out of control.

Yikes bad look for the Bellos, skipping practice and road trip because a teammate got suspended? Thats not how it works in the real world.

Yikes bad look for the Bellos, skipping practice and road trip because a teammate got suspended? Thats not how it works in the real world.
So true! Why jeopardize your future and career trying to stand up for someone that is rude, disrespectful and wrong. I'm sure they realized quickly, as seniors, they made the wrong move and needed to recover. If not, they would still be out with Pitts.

Now it's the fourth day after the Illinois game, and still there is not a single word on the Minnesota Daily website about this situation. In fact, not even the game itself is mentioned there; the last thing they wrote about the women's basketball team was the loss to Northwestern on Jan. 11. If a similar player suspension had happened with the men's team, even for a road game, do you think the Daily would also have written nothing about it? Please.

I pick up the Daily if I'm on campus for something. I'm not at all impressed by the Daily any more - and Daily is a misnomer since it doesn't come out daily any more. It's a shadow of what it was when I was a student in the early 70s'. They do about as good a job of covering women's basketball as Mike Max from Channel 4 does, in my opinion. And, Max is clueless......

Gandhi might not agree with you. Or anyone else who has risked their own wellbeing for what they thought/knew was right.

But they're most likely not right. Unless a coach chokes or punches you (#BobbyKnight), the coach is right in any group setting (game, locker room, public media). A player has one choice - handle it maturely and privately, no matter how emotional you feel at the time.

I pick up the Daily if I'm on campus for something. I'm not at all impressed by the Daily any more - and Daily is a misnomer since it doesn't come out daily any more. It's a shadow of what it was when I was a student in the early 70s'. They do about as good a job of covering women's basketball as Mike Max from Channel 4 does, in my opinion. And, Max is clueless......
Yeah, the Daily comes out twice a week, the Big Ten has 14 schools, and the U of M has only Fall and Spring semesters -- no Winter!

But they're most likely not right. Unless a coach chokes or punches you (#BobbyKnight), the coach is right in any group setting (game, locker room, public media). A player has one choice - handle it maturely and privately, no matter how emotional you feel at the time.

Hypothetically... is a coach right if they disclose private medical information? Or are your rules limited to physical contact?

Hypothetically... is a coach right if they disclose private medical information? Or are your rules limited to physical contact?
Disclosing private medical information to the media and to other coaches on the staff (assistants), are two different things.

Disclosing private medical information to the media and to other coaches on the staff (assistants), are two different things.

Pretty certain HIPPA might not fully agree with you. But who knows. An interesting conversation, though, for sure, about where the line gets drawn between coaching and demeaning. You seem to know a thing or two about that, though, anonymously calling a kid "rude," disrespectful," and "wrong."

I'm sticking to the context of Pitts suspension. The animosity shown by Pitts and her subsequent benching and following suspension. Game and locker room context between player and coach. This is not a philosophical discussion about the overall right vs wrong in humanity.

Also: If you're a student and friend of any of the players - you might want to leave this forum. You may be a caring and intelligent person. But you may be too emotionally involved and lack objectivity.
More importantly: regardless of the conjecture of all of us fans - you should not make any information public here that any of the players, coach or university are trying to work through privately. That isn't ethical for any of the parties involved.

Pretty certain HIPPA might not fully agree with you. But who knows. An interesting conversation, though, for sure, about where the line gets drawn between coaching and demeaning. You seem to know a thing or two about that, though, anonymously calling a kid "rude," disrespectful," and "wrong."
"Rude, disrespectful and wrong" is exactly what I call someone that pulls away from their head coach on national TV, mouths off at her on the bench for everyone to see, and doesn't want to be reprimanded for her actions.

Top Bottom