Design Your Own Unis!!

index.html

This? I'll play around with some more designs tomorrow...

picture.php

This is a great look. Also like the white/maroon/white. No reason we couldn't have both! Very disappointed the Gophs only wore the maroon/gold/maroon once in the past two years. So much better than the maroon/gold/gold.

To frozengopher: No I will not chill on the black unis. They are horrid and should never be seen on a UofM athlete.

On the photos of black unis. Stanford and Tenn look terrible but the Ari Cards have black in their logos and their black doesn't look bad. Same for the Ravens when they wear black as an alternate. If its a part of your logo and color scheme it looks great but forcing it for the sake of "cool" is not "cool".

Unless someone shows me something better, I would be fine with these three as our uni combos...

plus we probably would want a formal road uniform; so I guess the Mason era roads would be fine (maroon helmet, white jersey, and gold pants).

Attachments

• mnuni.jpg
    mnuni.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 35
  • msuuni.jpg
    msuuni.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 33
  • ndsuuni.jpg
    ndsuuni.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 1999.jpg
    1999.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 30

Gold helmets - good idea. Maroon and white looks good for the rest of it, but so does the traditional maroon and gold. Save the all-gold for a special occasion!

got the workable PSD here: http://rezland.deviantart.com/#/d2sfucg

kinda fun messing around.

gophers2.jpg

Like the extra large graphic on the helmets on this one. I also liked the gold helmet with goldies face on it. Not necessarilly a huge fan of having goldy on the helmets but just tend to like the layout of it and think it gives the helmets a real modern look. The helmet really pops out at you with the large graphic on it. Kind of reminds me of some crazy graphics on a motorcycle helmet or something.

Like this one a lot.

Very nice look here. I am all for us going with the Oregon unis next year. Gold, maroon and white helmets jerseys and pants. Lots of combos. Would be cool but probably won't happen. As much as some might like to think they don't, kids eat this stuff up.

Ok, I think I have seen enough uniform re-do's. Now how about some of you geniuses who have been redesigning the uni's redesign the Big 10 logo for us.

that's basically sconi----right down to the red

except you flipped the "w" upside down

that's basically sconi----right down to the red

except you flipped the "w" upside down

Haha, Wheelwright...I think that's what he was going for. If the red was changed to maroon, this would be a GREAT away jersey to wear to Madison.

My Photoshop Attempt

I hate the use of non-school colors (black, white, yuck).
We are Maroon and Gold. Switch to a white away top when you're on the road and that's all I would change. I put a small gold outline of the state of MN on the sleeve, and I'd put a small one on the back of the helmet, as well. I would like to see a return to metallic gold helmets and the true gold pants (not yellow/orange). Something close to Boston College (who shares our same school colors).

Attachments

• golden_unis.jpg
    golden_unis.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 57

I would like to see a return to metallic gold helmets and the true gold pants (not yellow/orange).

Except that metallic gold isn't one of our school colors. And when did we use orange?

Something close to Boston College (who shares our same school colors).

No, they don't. There are many shades of gold and many shades of maroon. They share neither with us.

Ddpodoll68...

You must either be too young (not alive yet) or too old (suffering from CRS) for a memory of the metallic gold during the Wacker years. Your indignant reply is laughable, as your own acknowledgement that there are many shades of both gold and maroon is exactly the point of most of the posts in this thread. We've had metallic gold helmets for a number of seasons in the 70s and 90s that I can remember - perhaps more going further back. No reason we couldn't entertain it again (which would be my preference). You may have a different opinion (that's what message boards are for)... so state it. Don't make sh*t up just because you make yourself feel better by belittling the contributions of other posters.
There are, indeed, many shades of both maroon and gold (the "duh" part of your post that made my point for me). We've seen lots of variety just within our own team over the years, plus any reference to other teams that share our colors (maroon and gold) but have selected different ways to present them are to help others visualize what is being described (maroon and gold obviously aren't specific enough when trying to promote a particular rendition of either).
I prefer the metallic gold to the "yellow-orange" gold, but would take that over the "banana-yellow" of the Brewster era. I also like the darker maroon over the more red version we've had. As far as not sharing colors with Boston College, you are wrong - both websites state maroon and gold. Take a look at the Gophersports football uniform photo gallery and you'll find a number of photos that have great similarity to Boston College's.
But first, start taking your meds again.

I think the idea is that all that variation is the wrong thing, and that it would have been better if the athletics department would have stuck to the official shades of maroon and gold, as defined by the University. Our school colors aren't simply maroon and gold; they are a very specific shade of maroon and very specific shade of gold.

True, we have used metallic gold in the past. We shouldn't in the future. It was wrong because metallic gold is not the gold as defined by those very precise color specifications. And if we must use colors that are not the official ones, we at least can't be pretending that those are the official ones.

Goldenboy,

See the link I posted on page 2 of this thread. Those are our school colors. That's what he means.

You must either be too young (not alive yet) or too old (suffering from CRS) for a memory of the metallic gold during the Wacker years.

I was very much alive during the Wacker years, but I was 300 miles away and barely knew/cared that the Gophers existed during those years. I am quite aware of the abomination that was the Wacker uniform, but why anyone would want to go back to anything remotely resembling those uniforms is beyond me. Thanks for the condescension, though!

Your indignant reply is laughable, as your own acknowledgement that there are many shades of both gold and maroon is exactly the point of most of the posts in this thread. We've had metallic gold helmets for a number of seasons in the 70s and 90s that I can remember - perhaps more going further back. No reason we couldn't entertain it again (which would be my preference).

That's exactly my point, you f*@&ing twit. While there are many shades of maroon and gold, we have a certain shade of each as our school colors. They are called "branding standards". Our gold is not metallic gold. Period. End of discussion. It would make about as much sense as Wisconsin coming out in DayGlo red.

You may have a different opinion (that's what message boards are for)... so state it.

It's not an opinion. It's a fact. Metallic gold is not one of our school colors. Period. This cannot be argued against.

Don't make sh*t up just because you make yourself feel better by belittling the contributions of other posters.

I'm not making anything up. For at least the 5th time now, metallic gold is not one of our school colors. Again, this cannot be argued against. Look it up if you don't believe me.

We've seen lots of variety just within our own team over the years

Yes, before such concepts as "branding" even existed. There was once a time when we all had to sh*t in outhouses. Would you like to go back to doing that too?

As far as not sharing colors with Boston College, you are wrong - both websites state maroon and gold.

Once again, you are wrong. Look up each team's branding standards. They are not the same maroon, nor are they the same gold.

But first, start taking your meds again.

I don't even know what that means, but you should probably find a good, quiet place to play a game of hide and go f*@& yourself.

FreakyDeke

I'm very familiar with brand identity issues and understand the underlying point of dpodoll68's argument. Brand ID specifications change/shift more frequently than people realize, too, however, although I haven't been able to track down any historical info online for the U. The existing standards are clearly spelled out for both spot and process color printing and web communication but offer no specificity when it comes to apparel and uniforms. There has, apparently, been great flexibility granted to the athletic department when it comes to uniforms over the years, as evidenced by the football uniform photo gallery. The unis under Mason were probably a fairly close visual match to the print/web standards, but we were no longer anywhere close with the unis under Brewster. To argue that we can't have metallic gold helmets because it isn't the school color is one opinion, but it seems a little weak when we have a long stretches of history where the team wore metallic gold helmets. Since the entire argument that the unis must match the brand id standards has so many historical counter examples, and since the thread was a fun exercise about what people wanted to see, I didn't have a lot of patience for a self-important poster telling me what was right and wrong. This was a fun off-season diversion, at least for a few pages.

I'm very familiar with brand identity issues and understand the underlying point of dpodoll68's argument. Brand ID specifications change/shift more frequently than people realize, too, however, although I haven't been able to track down any historical info online for the U. The existing standards are clearly spelled out for both spot and process color printing and web communication but offer no specificity when it comes to apparel and uniforms. There has, apparently, been great flexibility granted to the athletic department when it comes to uniforms over the years, as evidenced by the football uniform photo gallery. The unis under Mason were probably a fairly close visual match to the print/web standards, but we were no longer anywhere close with the unis under Brewster. To argue that we can't have metallic gold helmets because it isn't the school color is one opinion, but it seems a little weak when we have a long stretches of history where the team wore metallic gold helmets. Since the entire argument that the unis must match the brand id standards has so many historical counter examples, and since the thread was a fun exercise about what people wanted to see, I didn't have a lot of patience for a self-important poster telling me what was right and wrong. This was a fun off-season diversion, at least for a few pages.

Yes, historically we've gone through most maroons and golds, but that was prior to branding. I can't find a link that specifies apparel and uniforms, just the one I linked already, but if you look at every other sport, you won't see metallic gold. You're right about brands changing a lot, they could decide to change to metallic gold tomorrow, but right now it isn't. It would be a cool throwback, but won't be a permanent jersey.

On a personal note, the reason I don't like metallic as a school color is that you can't get t-shirts and stuff in metallic gold, so you end up having the yellow gold anyway.

dpdoll68, you are like an f-ing ninja with the multi-quote feature!

I hate the use of non-school colors (black, white, yuck).
We are Maroon and Gold. Switch to a white away top when you're on the road and that's all I would change. I put a small gold outline of the state of MN on the sleeve, and I'd put a small one on the back of the helmet, as well. I would like to see a return to metallic gold helmets and the true gold pants (not yellow/orange). Something close to Boston College (who shares our same school colors).

These are the best I have seen so far. Good job.

A couple of slight changes:

Helmets-Though I have been favoring the maroon helmets these are the best gold ones I have seen. I would make the M one solid color, no detailing. I like the no stripe look.

Jerseys- I would make the MINNESOTA smaller and the numbers larger with a 'throw back' type of font. I like the no stripe look. Away-white with maroon numbers.

Sleeves-I like the state outline idea. Mine was a solid patch. Either or.

Pants-Looks good. I like the no stripes.

Shoes and socks/leggings-Maroon

Top Bottom