Defensive Concerns

Maybe they were referring to Estes, but I think we understand that was just not going to be a fit at safety otherwise he would have seen some action at some point..
CJ Smith also wasn't going to break the lineup (and was a CB, not a safety).

I think 2 is probably accurate. Three missing who could have been starters I think is exaggerating a bit.
Could it have been Kelvin Clemmons? Kansas JUCO that committed in the 2019 class, but is at UHouston now. Would've been a Junior or Senior this season, if he was here, depending if he would've redshirted in 2019.

Don't recall the story with this guy.

No, that was Denard Robinson, the QB right after him, Devin Gardner, ran as well.
Ok, fair enough. Nitpicky: while obviously Gardner could run, he didn't run nearly as much as Robinson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denard_Robinson#Statistics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Gardner#Statistics

Robinson had over 1700 yards rushing in Rich Rod's last (3rd) season at Mich (2010). Then the next year (2011), Brady Hoke comes in and goes 11-2 with Rich Rod's players, with Robinson rushing for almost 1200 yards. Year after, they fall off a bit but still went 8-5 with a horrendous schedule (Alabama and Notre Dame in non-conf, @Nebraska and @ Ohio St). Did beat Mich St though. Lost to #11 South Carolina in the bowl game. Robinson hurt for part of the season, but played in 11 games and ran for over 1200 yards.

His TD-INT ratios ranged from not good to awful.

Coincidentally, 2012 was the last time Nebraska ever did anything in the Big Ten. Long may their misfortunes continue!!

Ok, fair enough. Nitpicky: while obviously Gardner could run, he didn't run nearly as much as Robinson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denard_Robinson#Statistics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Gardner#Statistics

Robinson had over 1700 yards rushing in Rich Rod's last (3rd) season at Mich (2010). Then the next year (2011), Brady Hoke comes in and goes 11-2 with Rich Rod's players, with Robinson rushing for almost 1200 yards. Year after, they fall off a bit but still went 8-5 with a horrendous schedule (Alabama and Notre Dame in non-conf, @Nebraska and @ Ohio St). Did beat Mich St though. Lost to #11 South Carolina in the bowl game. Robinson hurt for part of the season, but played in 11 games and ran for over 1200 yards.

His TD-INT ratios ranged from not good to awful.

Coincidentally, 2012 was the last time Nebraska ever did anything in the Big Ten. Long may their misfortunes continue!!
The post I responded to was about the last time Mich had a mobile QB. Gardner was a mobile QB.

The post I responded to was about the last time Mich had a mobile QB. Gardner was a mobile QB.
Yes, and you're correct.

I felt like researching it a bit, and wanted to share my findings.

I wasted mental energy trying to decide how much of our horrible defense is scheme and how much is lack of team speed and talent. After watching 2 weeks of this defense it's both and seems less likely it can be corrected quickly. I truly hope they prove me wrong.

I wasted mental energy trying to decide how much of our horrible defense is scheme and how much is lack of team speed and talent. After watching 2 weeks of this defense it's both and seems less likely it can be corrected quickly. I truly hope they prove me wrong.
I disagree it is scheme related. We just don't have the players this year, like we did in 2018 to make a step change.

Unless they're going to put some offensive guys over on defense, but usually it's the other way around.

Not sure even having Winfield still out there could bail out this boat. Yikes.

Tua's brother genuinely made some great throws, while on the run, and not, and had some great runs.

If he plays like that all the time, he'll be a draft pick just like his brother.

We absolutely beat ourselves on defense. Nothing can change that. But they also had some plays where they just kicked our ass.

They have to make a change at LB. I think a lot of the problems can be solved with better LB play. I'm not giving up on Lindenburg long term, but he's not ready today. I've seen enough of Sori-Marin.

Nearly every big play last night was due to the LBs not being where they should be. Sori-Marin is stumbling from behind on nearly all of them.

They have to make a change at LB. I think a lot of the problems can be solved with better LB play. I'm not giving up on Lindenburg long term, but he's not ready today. I've seen enough of Sori-Marin.

Nearly every big play last night was due to the LBs not being where they should be. Sori-Marin is stumbling from behind on nearly all of them.
Agreed. Willis and Gordon looked like incredible athletes on film and have gotten rave reviews in practice for a year. Maybe they don't know the playbook, have no idea what keys to read, etc. Screw it. At this point, you need your best athletes out there. Tell them to go get the ball.

Top Bottom