Daniels Twins decommit

The Daniels twins have become zombies to me.

Home Alone....no, wait, that was Daniel Stern.

Oleboy - I understand you feel strongly about this - but you need to understand that not everyone agrees with you or shares your point of view.

I'm sorry - but I just don't see D1 athletes as helpless victims of exploitation. If anything, there is mutual exploitation going on. athletes are trading their abilities for a free college education (and regardless of what they major in, a college degree is worth something in this society.) And colleges/universities make money off those athletes.

Just for the sake of argument - if athletes were to be "paid" above the full cost of education, what would you consider to be a fair amount? And would this be just for the major revenue sports?

I hope more kids start turning down scholarships. I just hate to see these helpless kids so shamelessly taken advantage of.

Oleboy - I understand you feel strongly about this - but you need to understand that not everyone agrees with you or shares your point of view.

I'm sorry - but I just don't see D1 athletes as helpless victims of exploitation. If anything, there is mutual exploitation going on. athletes are trading their abilities for a free college education (and regardless of what they major in, a college degree is worth something in this society.) And colleges/universities make money off those athletes.

Just for the sake of argument - if athletes were to be "paid" above the full cost of education, what would you consider to be a fair amount? And would this be just for the major revenue sports?

My attempt to derail this thread in a more entertaining direction is failing. :cry:

If FB and BB players are "taken advantage of" then so are grad assistants that often only get a partial tuition waiver despite the fact that the research project they are working on is part of a multi-million dollar grant. Athletic department budgets are dwarfed by the academic and research operations. I'd even lump in the undergraduates whose tuition funds much of the operation even though they get huge classes taught by non-English speaking international TAs while the grad students get small classes taught by actual professors. They take this on despite racking up tens of thousands in debt and only half of them graduating on time. But yeah... the athletes are the ones getting screwed.

Faulty argument; grad students play an important role, without the players there are not billions of dollars........not $1, not 1 penny. Grad students don't leave the University with dibilating injuries, grad don't face the public scrutiny as players, grad students don't see their likeness sold for profit, and receive nothing, grad students receive tuition assistance.....not all players receive any assistance, not all players are on scholarship.

Mutual exploitation? How are universities who make a billion dollars off under compensated employees exploitated? Scholarship athletes do not get a "free" education. Free constitutes something for nothing.

Compensation? Max of $100,000 upon graduation tied to the number of times a player participated in official team functions, i.e. practice, conditioning, meetings, treatment ectera. I would not tie it to actual playing (or only playing) because walkons who never play are incredible important to a teams success.

Players for Alabama might have an argument, but for every winy player (parent) for a player on a middle tier D1 team, there are 50 guys that could fill the position adequately. Universities have zero reason to compensate anybody. All the income generated by college football is based off the potential of the NFL. If amateur students deserve to be compensated, it should be by the NFL.

Hyperbole.

Unversities have zero reason to compensate anybody? You better tell them because they disagree with you. You also may want to educate yourself and check out the changes in compensation (not enough).

They don't go there to play school

True story.

Bret Bielema told a certain freshmen class and their parents, school is number one (while holding up 2 fingers) and football is number two (while holding up 1 finger).

True story.

Bret Bielema told a certain freshmen class and their parents, school is number one (while holding up 2 fingers) and football is number two (while holding up 1 finger).

And we have Gopher fans that want him as coach.

So we can boil this many-page argument down to believing: a) a scholarship is adequate compensation or b) a scholarship is not adequate compensation. I don't think anyone is going to change anyone's minds on this.

Move on shall we?

So we can boil this many-page argument down to believing: a) a scholarship is adequate compensation or b) a scholarship is not adequate compensation. I don't think anyone is going to change anyone's minds on this.

Move on shall we?

However, I think we can all agree 'Blood Work' is Jeff Daniels best movie.

Move on shall we?

You forgot C. Favorite Jeff Daniels movies.

Move on shall we?

I agree and this is my last post to that regard on this thread (for those who say good.....bite me) If I need to say something else I will talk to my deaf grand dad. I will get about the same result and the last word[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not his best movie but I have to ask, how many of you have ever suffered through Jeff Daniels in Escanaba in Da Moonlight?

Also a 125-140 thousand dollar scholarship (if you go five years) is a lot of money. I am not feeling too bad for the players.

Not his best movie but I have to ask, how many of you have ever suffered through Jeff Daniels in Escanaba in Da Moonlight?

I've not seen that, but it's 8 dollars at Walmart right now.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So does this mean Maryland has lower academic admission standards than the U? Since I'd heard the twin's grades were the reason they aren't coming here.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm assuming his comments have to do with this?

I'm assuming his comments have to do with this?

Those comments would imply it wasn't because of grades. Because it would be a pretty jerk move to tweet something like this about kids who had to go elsewhere due to grades.

Those comments would imply it wasn't because of grades. Because it would be a pretty jerk move to tweet something like this about kids who had to go elsewhere due to grades.

I wonder if he even knows for sure? Would the coaches be talking to the players about these kinds of things?

Possible they just don't get along. Or there is some history between them we know nothing about

I don't think he really cares why. The Daniels twins shouldn't be offended by any tweeting after the production they have provided over the last few months.

Top Bottom