Daniel Ogele committed

Love the quick turnaround from the Ihnen news. Welcome Danny!

He does have some guns on him, maybe they can get some center minutes out of him.

What would be a great recruiting tool, is if Ben takes all of these D2 and lower level players and treads water in the BIG or makes BIG "X Position of the Year" from one or more. Daniel Egele looks physical and I'm glad he committed here. Welcome. If anything else he can win an arm wrestling tournament.

1626557620900.png

Nobody wants to play here. Good grief a Big Ten school and an average D2 player is the best we can do?
I actually think the team is more impressive than most of our “fans”....

Welcome Danny....I’m excited you made the commitment to put yourself on the line for the University of Minnesota!!

It’s better than a walk-on I guess. Which is probably who this scholarship would have gone to at this point.

It’s better than a walk-on I guess. Which is probably who this scholarship would have gone to at this point.
I'm sure he is better than a walk-on. However, this feels like it dissolves any last glimmer of hope that we are going to get bigs that will make us competitive inside. The one interesting thing about this kid is that he obviously had a season ending injury two years ago after starting the season with the biggest game of his career (21 points). Maybe last year he wasn't quite ready yet and they see upside.

DUMP BODIES HERE! 🎯(Sign at Williams Arena)

🐵🙊🐻‍ ‍❄️ 🙉🐺🐻‍❄️🐻‍❄️🙈🦁🐗🐸🐷

If Danny Ogele can play like Trevor Mbwake, I don't care if he came from the University of the Moon!

Last edited:

At the very least, Ogele seems to offer some muscle and leaping ability. On the highlight reel (yes, I know the limitations of a highlight reel), on some of his dunks, his head is almost at the rim.

maybe a bad analogy, but when you're drowning, you can't get too picky about who throws you a rope. you just grab the rope and pull.

And I will say this - if any of the new Gopher players need motivation, all they have to do is to read a few threads on this board, and find out that they are a no-talent bunch of losers. this could be the first time in history that a team tries to win games to make their own fans shut up.

Are you saying there may be a "Mighty Ducks" story here? It will be cool if some of these players come out as pleasant surprises.

If Ben can win with college's version of the dirty dozen, he may more than prove that he can coach. The doomsday clock started at the press conference.

Let's give Ben a chance. He may be who we think we want him to be. We got here because Pitino ran out of cat lives.

Beggars can’t be choosers. Ben has to show these high end recruits he can coach, and coach the way they want to play. I’m happy for Ben when he gets anybody to commit lol. He knows he needs big bodies, I’m sure he’s not just sitting in his hands waiting for a 7 footer to call him and say he wants to be a goofer.

Congrats on another kid who probably has something to prove

IDK....I like this kid. I assume he is tough minded and disciplined. He has a Big 10 body. Has good feet based on the film. I just have a sense of good things coming. Up to Ben and his staff to coach him up.

I'm just happy to get extra bodies at this point. Honestly. Just don't go look at his stats compared to the rest of his team and conference.

Nobody wants to play here. Good grief a Big Ten school and an average D2 player is the best we can do?
If you had only a year or two left .... I guess it makes sense.

Do you want to waste this coming year, and potentially ruin any solid prospects for the next year (if you have it)?

IDK....I like this kid. I assume he is tough minded and disciplined. He has a Big 10 body. Has good feet based on the film. I just have a sense of good things coming. Up to Ben and his staff to coach him up.
First thing I noticed on the film was that he was bigger, quicker and stronger than all of the guys he was playing against. Seemed to be able to knock down 3's, get to the rim when he wanted, and defend (at least against the competition he was playing against) Not sure if he's a Big Ten caliber player, but he certainly looked like he was athletic and skilled enough to be playing above the D-2 level.

As somebody else mentioned, we have a group of players who, if nothing else, will be extremely motivated to prove the local fan base wrong about them. Hopefully they also have the mental and physical qualities to create and build on a culture of a tough, smart, competitive, defensive-minded, good-shooting, team-oriented basketball team that improves every month and hits their peak at the end of the season.

First thing I noticed on the film was that he was bigger, quicker and stronger than all of the guys he was playing against. Seemed to be able to knock down 3's, get to the rim when he wanted, and defend (at least against the competition he was playing against) Not sure if he's a Big Ten caliber player, but he certainly looked like he was athletic and skilled enough to be playing above the D-2 level.

As somebody else mentioned, we have a group of players who, if nothing else, will be extremely motivated to prove the local fan base wrong about them. Hopefully they also have the mental and physical qualities to create and build on a culture of a tough, smart, competitive, defensive-minded, good-shooting, team-oriented basketball team that improves every month and hits their peak at the end of the season.

This roster, if anything else, will play as hard as they can. Now will that be enough against the talent of the rest of the B1G, we'll see, but my hopes are not very high on that.

This is a practice player pickup. He was 6th in minutes played for Mercyhurst. If Pitino had made this pickup the board would be going nuclear. Sounds like he is a great kid though which I like.

He was 6th in minutes per game but he was second in scoring average.

Top Bottom