Daniel Ogele committed

Beggars can’t be choosers. Ben has to show these high end recruits he can coach, and coach the way they want to play. I’m happy for Ben when he gets anybody to commit lol. He knows he needs big bodies, I’m sure he’s not just sitting in his hands waiting for a 7 footer to call him and say he wants to be a goofer.

Congrats on another kid who probably has something to prove
Exactly, he really is an unknown at this point and it shows. It may work out, it may not but as a fan patience is our only option.

Are you saying there may be a "Mighty Ducks" story here? It will be cool if some of these players come out as pleasant surprises.

If Ben can win with college's version of the dirty dozen, he may more than prove that he can coach. The doomsday clock started at the press conference.

Let's give Ben a chance. He may be who we think we want him to be. We got here because Pitino ran out of cat lives.
We actually got here because of Coyle.

This roster, if anything else, will play as hard as they can. Now will that be enough against the talent of the rest of the B1G, we'll see, but my hopes are not very high on that.
Play as hard as they can? How do we know that. And are there Big Ten rosters not playing hard. I doubt it

New Gophers transfer Danny Ogele excited for the challenge

Going from Division II to high major Division I basketball will be the most challenging experience of Danny Ogele's career.
Ogele, though, already knows about big challenges.
The 6-foot-7, 220-pound graduate transfer committed to the Gophers over the weekend. He's been through intense military training during his two-year stint at Navy and later battled back from a major left knee injury two seasons ago after transferring to Division II Mercyhust College in Erie, Pa.
Every obstacle faced during his first few years of college made Ogele stronger and tougher, the kind of character traits needed to get through the Big Ten basketball grind.
A 23-year-old Chicago native who majored in cybersecurity, Ogele talked to the Star Tribune recently about how he landed with the Gophers, what he brings to new coach Ben Johnson's team and more.
Q: How did you first get in contact with the Gophers and their coaching staff?
A: Coach Johnson and (assistant Marcus) Jenkins got in touch with me a few weeks ago. Really when I got that call, it was what I had been waiting for all summer. We had a really good conversation and a couple days later they offered me a scholarship. Being able to play for the Gophers gives me a huge opportunity to play Big Ten basketball. I look at my [journey] as a blessing. Not everyone gets to play Division I basketball and college basketball. I just knew if I wanted more, I just had to keep working hard and one day I'd get my chance.
Q: What other schools were you considering after entering the transfer portal in the spring?
A: Throughout the process I was talking to a bunch of schools. A lot of mid-major schools showed interest, like Indiana State, Illinois Chicago, North Texas, Eastern Illinois, Southern Illinois, and some Division II schools as well. I just bet on myself. That's why I left Navy because I wanted to give myself a chance to play basketball on a bigger stage. It's just a blessing.
Q: What will be the keys to being able to smooth the transition from the Division II level?
A:It's all about hard work and spending time in the gym preparing yourself for that big stage. I learned a lot of that throughout my years in college basketball. Just getting in the gym and preparing for each game and spending the time to watch film. Getting to know my teammates and coaching staff and [building chemistry] in practice will be important. You have to do all the little things when you come on board in order to get what we need to get done.
Q: How did your time at Navy impact your life and career?
A: At the [Naval] Academy every day was a challenge from the moment you wake up until the time you put your head on your pillow and go to sleep. We were always thrown challenges are way and had to figure it out. You had to learn to get through adversity. And I learned a lot of leadership and communication skills there to help me moving forward.
Q: What type of role do you expect to have with the Gophers this season?
A: Honestly, I just want to come in and do everything I can to help the team. Being a great teammate in the locker room and helping everyone on the floor as well. Being able to be put in any situation coach puts me in and produce and be efficient. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to do that.
Q: Growing up in Chicago what do you remember about watching the Big Ten?
A: Being from the Northside of Chicago I lived about 15 minutes away from Northwestern. So, I saw what they did a few years ago making the [NCAA] tournament. A lot of guys from my high school went to Illinois. And they had a really big year last season. Just knowing what's been going on in the Big Ten it is excited to now be a part of that league.
Q: How much were you familiar with the Gophers before you committed on Saturday?
A: I knew Coach Johnson got the job. He played and coached there, too. They're really excited to win games and to make some noise this year.
Q: How would you describe your game to fans who haven't seen you play?
A: I would just say I'm a guy who can do a lot of things for your team. I can pass the ball. I can attack the basket. I can hit open shots. I'm vocal. I'm going to bring that leadership aspect. I'm just a guy who is going to come in, be efficient and do everything I can to help the team win.
Q: Where is your body right now compared to last season coming off the knee injury in 2019-20?
A: I came in to Mercyhurst with high expectations by unfortunately I was playing through injuries my first couple years there. It really humbled me. I had to take the time to get back [healthy]. Once I could play again, I came out and produced. I always play with a chip on my shoulder coming from Chicago where basketball was big growing up. I played against a lot of guys who are now in the NBA or overseas. It just motivates me to play hard and get to where they are as well. My left kneecap popped out of place, so I was out for about a month and a half. I got back to practicing with the team, but my mentor told me I should try to get back 100% before I returned to the court.

Last edited:

You're assigning too much power to one man who clearly isn't at the top of the university totem poll. If Coyle could have hired anyone he wanted, I think we would have had a different coach.
I suspect the same, but that is conjecture at this point. Unless he says something different we are forced to assume it was his call, since he is the one responsible for making HC decisions.

When Coyle hired Fleck, we were told this was bold, decisive action by the AD. He identified the coach he wanted, and he went out and got him.

and now, Coyle is a pawn of the administration and is not allowed to make his own decisions.

What happened?

When Coyle hired Fleck, we were told this was bold, decisive action by the AD. He identified the coach he wanted, and he went out and got him.

and now, Coyle is a pawn of the administration and is not allowed to make his own decisions.

What happened?
George Floyd

I suspect the same, but that is conjecture at this point. Unless he says something different we are forced to assume it was his call, since he is the one responsible for making HC decisions.
He'll never say it but we can all read between the lines. I don't think it's pure conjecture, the evidence kind of points in a certain direction.

George Floyd

I agree with you. It wasn't so much about George Floyd per se. The subject of the "equity gap" in Minnesota has been written about and has been bubbling to the surface for some time (particularly in higher ed circles). But, the George Floyd tragedy seemed to be a catalyst that led to a call for "right here, right now."

Ben's hiring made more sense to me when I reflected back on seeing the equity gap term in a press release from the U in the weeks before the hiring. I sense that's why someone we heard so much about, Dennis Gates, prior to the hiring decision wasn't the ultimately successful candidate. Gates already is a head coach and should get a better gig in time with decent performance. Addressing the equity gap requires elevating members of historically disadvantaged groups to underrepresented positions. Hiring Ben fulfilled that goal.

The decision to hire Johnson was made higher up in the food chain than the AD.
Any graduate of a service academy has to have some very positive character traits.
The question is do they determine skills on the BB court?

Yes, more or less, but I doubt anyone told him who he must hire. It was probably done with subtle arguments and insinuations and various members of a committee (formal or informal) shared their perspectives. Coyle likely knows how to play the game and took the cues. I suspect that if Ben fails, that will not hurt Coyle's career at all.

As to your question about the link between character and BB skills, the answer would be mostly "no" except for the character trait of being a hard worker who practices his craft a great deal but at least we probably can expect most of the Johnson picked guys to avoid the sort of antics that got Lynch, Mason, McBrayer, and Dorsey suspended.

Last edited:

I agree with you. It wasn't so much about George Floyd per se. The subject of the "equity gap" in Minnesota has been written about and has been bubbling to the surface for some time (particularly in higher ed circles). But, the George Floyd tragedy seemed to be a catalyst that led to a call for "right here, right now."

Ben's hiring made more sense to me when I reflected back on seeing the equity gap term in a press release from the U in the weeks before the hiring. I sense that's why someone we heard so much about, Dennis Gates, prior to the hiring decision wasn't the ultimately successful candidate. Gates already is a head coach and should get a better gig in time with decent performance. Addressing the equity gap requires elevating members of historically disadvantaged groups to underrepresented positions. Hiring Ben fulfilled that goal.
I've already made it known on various threads, so I won't beat this topic to death, but generally we agree. Ben was hired because of pressure above Mark Coyle to hire an African American coach. There are certainly things other than Ben's ethnicity that I'm sure Coyle liked but Ben's ethnicity made him a prime candidate. I don't think if Pitino was canned in 2020 (prior to Floyd) that Ben would have even been considered for a second.

I've already made it known on various threads, so I won't beat this topic to death, but generally we agree. Ben was hired because of pressure above Mark Coyle to hire an African American coach. There are certainly things other than Ben's ethnicity that I'm sure Coyle liked but Ben's ethnicity made him a prime candidate. I don't think if Pitino was canned in 2020 (prior to Floyd) that Ben would have even been considered for a second.
100% correct.

Enough dragging another thread off topic!

I think Daniel has the potential to be a beast. He has the athleticism, the size, the strength, the desire. In the right system and coaching he will be productive.

I think Daniel has the potential to be a beast. He has the athleticism, the size, the strength, the desire. In the right system and coaching he will be productive.
Yeah, in my opinion, I can't see how he won't be similar to Omersa.

They seem similar in terms of athletic profile, size, and type of play. With that kind of athleticism, if he is high-energy, he certainly could carve out a productive niche on the team.

Yeah, in my opinion, I can't see how he won't be similar to Omersa.

Well, if you dig into his stats, you can see some potential differences. Ogele played only 13 games last year so absolute values are fairly small. Although he didn't shoot a lot of 3 pointers (25) he made 44% of them (Omersa only took 4 three point shots in his career here and I suspect they were at the end of shots clocks; he didn't make any). He hit 68.3% of his free throws this past season (Omersa hit 29.7% for his career here). Ogele had 16 assists against 10 turnovers, quite a good ratio for a forward. I suspect that Ogele is less athletic than Omersa but probably more skilled and a little smarter on the court.

I am by no means trolling, I am genuinely wondering. What makes you think anything you are saying in true? Is it simply that he looks big (which he certainly does)? What constitutes "a beast"? You obviously dont know him so you cant say you know he has the desire, maybe he does but maybe he doesnt. Season 1 at Navy he played a TOTAL of 12 minutes. Season 2 he played 10 min a game and averaged 3.2 points and 2.5 rebounds on a low mid major team. Last year at D2 he averaged 10-5. They played Buffalo he played 10 min and was 1-5. In their last game (against the #1 seed) he played 15 min and was 1-8 from the field with 4 rebounds. Again I know there will be people that just think this is "debbie downer" but I am just trying to be subjective. Just judging off of numbers (thats all any of us have) the odds of him doing anything productive in the B1G is extremely low. If this is simply looking at him with maroon/gold colored glasses then I get it, but again Im genuinely interested what makes anyone say Ogele is going to be this "beast". AGAIN I am not saying its impossible, Im not saying BJ wont help him, I am just interested to see where people are seeing things that I am not seeing.

I am by no means trolling, I am genuinely wondering. What makes you think anything you are saying in true? Is it simply that he looks big (which he certainly does)? What constitutes "a beast"? You obviously dont know him so you cant say you know he has the desire, maybe he does but maybe he doesnt. Season 1 at Navy he played a TOTAL of 12 minutes. Season 2 he played 10 min a game and averaged 3.2 points and 2.5 rebounds on a low mid major team. Last year at D2 he averaged 10-5. They played Buffalo he played 10 min and was 1-5. In their last game (against the #1 seed) he played 15 min and was 1-8 from the field with 4 rebounds. Again I know there will be people that just think this is "debbie downer" but I am just trying to be subjective. Just judging off of numbers (thats all any of us have) the odds of him doing anything productive in the B1G is extremely low. If this is simply looking at him with maroon/gold colored glasses then I get it, but again Im genuinely interested what makes anyone say Ogele is going to be this "beast". AGAIN I am not saying its impossible, Im not saying BJ wont help him, I am just interested to see where people are seeing things that I am not seeing.
Total stretch by anyone to project him as a potential "beast". That said the one data point of hope I get from this signing is that he did have a 21 point game at the start of a season two years ago and was then injured and out for the year. Perhaps last year there was residual effects on him and he wasn't fully recovered? If so- is the real Ogele, the kid that started that year with 21 points? Let's hope so. He certainly is well built and has some reasonable hops.

Listen Leib, it's been a rough summer. Let us sell some GD hope. :)

Well, if you dig into his stats, you can see some potential differences. Ogele played only 13 games last year so absolute values are fairly small. Although he didn't shoot a lot of 3 pointers (25) he made 44% of them (Omersa only took 4 three point shots in his career here and I suspect they were at the end of shots clocks; he didn't make any). He hit 68.3% of his free throws this past season (Omersa hit 29.7% for his career here). Ogele had 16 assists against 10 turnovers, quite a good ratio for a forward. I suspect that Ogele is less athletic than Omersa but probably more skilled and a little smarter on the court.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how all of this translates. I think you're assessment is likely correct (less athletic and possibly more skilled than Omersa). I just meant I think Ogele can be one of those high activity players, who tips a lot of balls, and does that sort stuff well.

I don't know if it is intentional or if it is just how things have shaken out, but Ben has seemed to put a premium on guys who fill up those "do sh!t" categories (steals, blocks, rebs for a guard, deflections, etc.). I hope this is all intentional. I think one of the better paths to success if playing more positionless basketball with guys who are generally really active (steals/blocks/deflections/rebs/etc.) and can shoot.

I don't know if it is intentional or if it is just how things have shaken out, but Ben has seemed to put a premium on guys who fill up those "do sh!t" categories (steals, blocks, rebs for a guard, deflections, etc.). I hope this is all intentional. I think one of the better paths to success if playing more positionless basketball with guys who are generally really active (steals/blocks/deflections/rebs/etc.) and can shoot.

You definitely can see that with Sutherlin. Inefficient shooter but a real stat stuffer (including some bad ones like turnovers). Appears to be a very active player.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how all of this translates. I think you're assessment is likely correct (less athletic and possibly more skilled than Omersa). I just meant I think Ogele can be one of those high activity players, who tips a lot of balls, and does that sort stuff well.

I would bet the last part of your post is very intentional. They seem to have targeted one year guys that were key pieces at lower level schools as opposed to going after guys that were bit players at power 6 schools.

Will be interesting to see how their games translate to the Big Ten, but there is no arguing that the transfers we have brought in for the most part were really good players at their previous stop.

I looked at his highlight video and was impressed. He looked like he can shoot, drive, post, and jump. Having said that, it is hard to imagine why he only averaged 10.5 points per game at the D2 level.

It is most certainly intentional. Ben looks to be keying in on players that do the little stuff at high effort and have higher BB IQ.

It is most certainly intentional. Ben looks to be keying in on players that do the little stuff at high effort and have higher BB IQ.

I don't know if it's certainly intentional. I doubt we bring in Ogele if Ihnen doesn't get hurt. I am cheering for our guys but I don't necessarily think the guys we got were our first choices. It's kind of like if you see a guy with a chubby girl, it can either be a preference or their best option.

Top Bottom