Dan McCarney...

Letsgogophers

Reaction score
Florida Asst HC, former Wisc def. coordinator, former asst, Iowa coach, former Iowa State Head Coach. He would have the experience and personality to do the job.

Please No

Absolutely Not!:mad:

Iowa pounded him every year! Would be a terrible idea! We have to do better! This would be a lazy hire!

no more wisky coache or ADs

...no more cosgrove...no more mccarney..no more failed HCs. Nebraska learned from their mistake. We much get at least a Mason level coach....but I am aiming/hoping for so much a more.

Proven winner as a HC in a major conf or major conf coordinator.

Also can we get a guy who isn't 60or 65?

Go gophers.

GM

Iowa pounded him every year!

?????

McCarney was 6-6 against Iowa and was a nemesis to them. He won five straight against them at one point when he was rebuilding ISU. There would be many a Hawkeye fans nervous if McCarney were hired here.

He had Iowa's number...would know how to use Grey at QB like he did with Seneca Wallace. From what I've seen, he's a quality guy. Just sayin.

I've met the guy on a couple occasions and can tell you that he truly IS a really quality guy. That said, is this the kind of coach we want to bring in? A total re-tread who hasn't gotten another head job since being sacked at Iowa State of all places? What he did at ISU was truly impressive. I had a good friend who played there, and he raved about the experience and about McCarney in particular. The program was a joke when McC took over and, much like Mason did here, McC built it up and consistently fielded competitive teams. That said, he never got them "over the hump" so to speak. IMO, this hire would reek of Mason 2.0...the similarities are eerie.

I'm Sold

I'm sold due to the simple fact that a search for Dan McCarney on google images brings up this photo first.

Attachments

• 42438946_1ab77a1545.jpg
    42438946_1ab77a1545.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 93

try searching 'Dan McCarney domestic abuse'. Sounds like a real sweetheart.

...no more cosgrove...no more mccarney..no more failed HCs. Nebraska learned from their mistake. We much get at least a Mason level coach....but I am aiming/hoping for so much a more.

Proven winner as a HC in a major conf or major conf coordinator.

Also can we get a guy who isn't 60or 65?

Go gophers.

GM

Thank you. :clap:

I'm sorry, but it is just impossible for me to look past McCarney's 56-85 record as a head coach, and his 27-68 conference record.

His yearly records at Iowa State:

1996: 2-9
1997: 1-10
1998: 3-10
1999: 4-7
2000: 9-3
2001: 7-5
2002: 7-7
2003: 2-10
2004: 7-5
2005: 7-5
2006: 4-8

And people will try to rationalize that somehow by saying "Oh well, he was at Iowa State", as if a losing record should be expected there, and I say so what and I call BS. If you can coach you can coach, no matter your surroundings or whatever obstacles might be in your way. That's how downtrodden programs get lifted out of their downtrodden status, and we see this regularly. To excuse failure like that is exactly what's wrong (well one of the things) with this program. And speaking of him being at Iowa State, well this is Minnesota, so it's not like he'd be stepping into a robust and healthy situation here either.

I mean really, is *this* the type of candidate we should be shooting for, and can we REALLY not do better than this? If he were hired, honestly I don't know what I'd do, but I might just need to take a Gophers sabbatical, because the frustration and feeling of hopelessness would just be immense and possibly not worth the effort of even bothering to care any longer.

Thank you. :clap:

I'm sorry, but it is just impossible for me to look past McCarney's 56-85 record as a head coach, and his 27-68 conference record.

His yearly records at Iowa State:

1996: 2-9
1997: 1-10
1998: 3-10
1999: 4-7
2000: 9-3
2001: 7-5
2002: 7-7
2003: 2-10
2004: 7-5
2005: 7-5
2006: 4-8

And people will try to rationalize that somehow by saying "Oh well, he was at Iowa State", as if a losing record should be expected there, and I say so what and I call BS. If you can coach you can coach, no matter your surroundings or whatever obstacles might be in your way. That's how downtrodden programs get lifted out of their downtrodden status, and we see this regularly. To excuse failure like that is exactly what's wrong (well one of the things) with this program. And speaking of him being at Iowa State, well this is Minnesota, so it's not like he'd be stepping into a robust and healthy situation here either.

I mean really, is *this* the type of candidate we should be shooting for, and can we REALLY not do better than this? If he were hired, honestly I don't know what I'd do, but I might just need to take a Gophers sabbatical, because the frustration and feeling of hopelessness would just be immense and possibly not worth the effort of even bothering to care any longer.

Looking at that record talk about Glen Mason redux!

Fans don't want Glenn Mason, but would you like his success? Sure better than what we have. If McCarney would get us back to the top echelon of the Big 10 West, I'd jump all over that. With any asst. coaches, or D1A you are rolling the dice for another Brewster experience. The program can't survive that.

In my opinion McCarney would be a stabilizer, someone who could get the program within game either way of .500, similar to Glen Mason but with a far more competitive streak towards rivalry's (ISU saved some of their best performances for Iowa and Nebraska). I don't think the program needs a stabilizer at this point, we were 3-5 and easily could have been .500 or better the past two seasons in the Big Ten. There's really no reason to believe the team won't be capable of a similar record next year with a more experienced defense. We need a coach who we feel has a great shot at making 5-3 as opposed to 3-5 a "normal" Big Ten season for the Gophers. I don't think McCarney is that guy.

In my opinion McCarney would be a stabilizer, someone who could get the program within game either way of .500, similar to Glen Mason but with a far more competitive streak towards rivalry's (ISU saved some of their best performances for Iowa and Nebraska). I don't think the program needs a stabilizer at this point, we were 3-5 and easily could have been .500 or better the past two seasons in the Big Ten. There's really no reason to believe the team won't be capable of a similar record next year with a more experienced defense. We need a coach who we feel has a great shot at making 5-3 as opposed to 3-5 a "normal" Big Ten season for the Gophers. I don't think McCarney is that guy.

Agreed -- but he would be a lot better than what we have, too!

Agreed -- but he would be a lot better than what we have, too!

Well, I guess the point is do you want to settle for sub-mediocrity, more and more spinning of the wheels and going absolutely nowhere, or would you rather shoot for something better, even if that means taking a chance (and I don't mean taking a stupid and unnecessary chance ala hiring a TOTALLY unproven Tim Brewster)?

I have nothing against the guy personally, but McCarney had 12 years in which to prove himself at Iowa State, and he did prove himself with the 56-85 record, and that's the bottom-line right there for a coach, wins and losses, no excuses.

Coaching at Iowa State is no excuse. Joe Tiller took over a dog of a program at Wyoming, turned it around despite all the obstacles facing him and his program, took that small school with all those built-in disadvantages to the heights of being nationally ranked, and then went on to bigger and better things. Sonny Lubick took over a dog of a program at Colorado State (a very close parallel to Iowa State), took that small school with all those built-in disadvantages to the heights of being nationally ranked as well as being a fearsome rival to Colorado back when they were Top Ten ranked, and then was eventually let go after CSU plateaued and stagnated- but the point is that these guys succeeded against all the odds at schools that were in extremely challenging positions and in extremely adverse football circumstances, and Dan McCarney did not. He put forth a 56-85 career record, and that in my opinion speaks very loudly and clearly for itself.

I can't tell if people are joking or not anymore.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1006592/index.htm
In March, Iowa State announced that it would honor the contract it had signed in November with new football coach Dan McCarney, even after learning that his estranged wife, Brenda, had told police he had beaten her 20 to 30 times, beginning a few days before their marriage in 1986 and continuing periodically for nearly eight years.
The McCarney case may be the least known of these recent episodes but is perhaps the most illuminating. The account that follows is from a police report Brenda filed with the Dane County sheriff's office in Madison, Wis., on March 6, 1994, just hours after the last of the alleged assaults took place. At that time Dan worked as defensive coordinator at Wisconsin, and he and Brenda were separated; he came by the house they formerly shared to pick up some furniture for an apartment. Brenda told police that Dan arrived earlier than an agreed-upon time, sneaked into the house while she was elsewhere and took things that weren't included in the couple's separation agreement. When he returned later that day, she told police, she demanded the return of a garage-door opener and a key to the house. Dan removed the key from the ring, threw it at her, hitting her in the face, and yelled "——you!" according to the report. He pushed her down, and when she attempted to call 911, she said, he ripped the phone cord from the wall.

Dan, who's 6'3" and 210 pounds, made one more trip to the house that day, according to the police report, a visit that ended with his slapping the 5'5", 130-pound Brenda, cursing her in front of their children and throwing her twice more to the floor, according to the police report. Several hours later Brenda filed what appears to be her first report ever to the police. The officers taking her statement found a fresh cut that they concluded was the result of one of the attacks and described her as "very truthful."

Yet in the days following Brenda's visit with the police, a number of things happened—and didn't happen—that explain how a coach might beat his wife for years with impunity. In his interview with police, Dan, after denying most of Brenda's account of the incident, raised concerns about publicity and "the reputation of the football team." For some reason Johnson assured McCarney and his lawyer that the sheriff's office "would not notify the media of this investigation," the report said. Dan had already called Brenda to say that if she went public with the latest incident, he would lose his job and she and their children would be without support, according to the report. Brenda, who hadn't worked outside the home since 1990, soon secured a restraining order but didn't press criminal charges.

Last March, after a Des Moines Register account of the private life of Iowa State's new football coach forced the university to launch a reevaluation of its decision to hire him, Brenda and Dan released a joint statement. In it they denied that there had been anything more than that single incident. With her estranged husband having signed a contract worth as much as $300,000 a year, the scenes from their marriage that Brenda had recounted to detectives a year earlier suddenly hadn't happened. No, there had never been that first beating just before the July 1986 marriage. Nor had there been one, as she had previously reported, five days after the birth of the first of their three children, Jillian, in '87, when Dan slapped her face as she held the baby. Nor had there been an incident that Brenda said had occurred on Super Bowl Sunday in '93, when she suffered a bruised cheek and black eye after confronting her husband about an affair. The Iowa State administration says it will honor rather than eat Dan's five-year deal—and Brenda will collect the $3,600-a-month support payments she was granted soon after Dan got the job with the Cyclones.

Posting something from years ago is garbage. That issue was resolved years ago between he and his wife, he gave up alcohol and is looked at with the highest regards by everyone in football. He was good enough for Florida (may have become HC is Meyer retired)
After how many years does beating one's wife become acceptable? 5 years? 10?

What's the moral statute of limitations where we can set it aside and say well sure it happened 30 times, but can this man help our football program?

Coaching at Iowa State is no excuse. Joe Tiller took over a dog of a program at Wyoming, turned it around despite all the obstacles facing him and his program, took that small school with all those built-in disadvantages to the heights of being nationally ranked, and then went on to bigger and better things. Sonny Lubick took over a dog of a program at Colorado State (a very close parallel to Iowa State), took that small school with all those built-in disadvantages to the heights of being nationally ranked as well as being a fearsome rival to Colorado back when they were Top Ten ranked, and then was eventually let go after CSU plateaued and stagnated

Do you find it coincidental that the schools you mentioned are in non-BCS conferences?

Look, turning around Wyoming, Colorado St., Boise St., Fresno St., Toledo, etc. is commendable and will most likely earn the coach a promotion. But to equate those to turning around something like Iowa St., Baylor, Duke, Indiana, Washington St. is silly. They're not even remotely the same thing for a lot of reasons, the big/obvious one being the strength of schedule.

I'm not even advocating for the hire of Dan McCarney. Not even a little bit. But to marginalize what he achieved at Iowa St. is erroneous and doing the man a great disservice.

Do not hire McCarney

?????

McCarney was 6-6 against Iowa and was a nemesis to them. He won five straight against them at one point when he was rebuilding ISU. There would be many a Hawkeye fans nervous if McCarney were hired here.

Sorry, I was wrong about the record but below gives a little insight on the man.

In March, Iowa State announced that it would honor the contract it had signed in November with new football coach Dan McCarney, even after learning that his estranged wife, Brenda, had told police he had beaten her 20 to 30 times, beginning a few days before their marriage in 1986 and continuing periodically for nearly eight years. :eek:

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1006592/index.htm#ixzz12FUQbglu

Sorry

Oops sorry again - hadn't seen this was posted earlier

Top Bottom