Dan B on KFAN thinks Claeys needs 2 of last 3 to keep job

And again no I'm not. Ferentz has won 10+ games 5 times and finished ranked in the top 10 all 5 times. 3 of those seasons were in Ferentz's first 6 years.

Not one Gopher coach has done that once in my lifetime.

Beg to differ. You are actually kind of making my argument. As you stated, Ferentz had one win his first season, TC has 7. Ferentz averaged 7 wins/year those six years you selected. Given your position, he should have been fired after year one, certainly after year two. Instead, he's making 4 times what TC is...averaging just over 7 wins a year.

Barry also had one win his first year, and averaged just over 5 wins/year his first six years. They should have canned him after year one or two given your position.

Iowa fans wanted Stoops not Ferentz back then. I'm sure there was a lot of second guessing going on but he was Hayden Fry's guy.

Beg to differ. You are actually kind of making my argument. As you stated, Ferentz had one win his first season, TC has 7. Ferentz averaged 7 wins/year those six years you selected. Given your position, he should have been fired after year one, certainly after year two. Instead, he's making 4 times what TC is...averaging just over 7 wins a year.

Barry also had one win his first year, and averaged just over 5 wins/year his first six years. They should have canned him after year one or two given your position.

People like you need to give up on the year 1 argument. Claeys is not a typical year 1 head coach who was hired from the outside and given a 4 or 5 year contract with a high buyout. If that was the case, these repeated threads about firing a coach after 1 year would be stupid.

Claeys has always been on a 1 year prove it deal. He's the lowest paid coach in the B1G with the lowest buyout for a reason. He and the majority of the staff have been here 6 years. Not 1 year like a typical first year head coach. He was promoted as a stop gap until a new AD was hired, so that the new AD could easily bring in his own guy if he chooses.

Does Bump think they WOULD Fire Claeys or SHOULD fire Clayes if they don't win 2 more? Big difference.

The fact we are having this conversation is a testament to all that is MEGA TOUNGE.

He's the gift that keeps on giving.

Wait, so he is saying the schedule was weak in 2014?

I think so? Chris Long has lost all credibility with me after that asinine statement. Which is a bummer because I think he's generally good at what he does.

People like you need to give up on the year 1 argument. Claeys is not a typical year 1 head coach who was hired from the outside and given a 4 or 5 year contract with a high buyout. If that was the case, these repeated threads about firing a coach after 1 year would be stupid.

Claeys has always been on a 1 year prove it deal. He's the lowest paid coach in the B1G with the lowest buyout for a reason. He and the majority of the staff have been here 6 years. Not 1 year like a typical first year head coach. He was promoted as a stop gap until a new AD was hired, so that the new AD could easily bring in his own guy if he chooses.

Your position is to get rid of him after one year, with at least 7 wins...so thus the argument. Wow. I also went with the first six years, since you brought that up as well.

Again, kind of making my argument. Of course he's not your typical proven, high profile coach who is given a 4 or 5 year contract with a large buyout. He's making more than Jerry did in his first year, though. Ferentz, Alvarez and Fitz were all unproven when hired and had salaries and contracts that reflected that as well.

I think so? Chris Long has lost all credibility with me after that asinine statement. Which is a bummer because I think he's generally good at what he does.

That's either downright trolling, ignorance, or utter lack of knowledge.

The Gophers went on the road to TCU, who ended 2014-15 as the #3 team in the country. Hung tough with the eventual champs, Ohio State.

They also beat Michigan, Nebraska, and Iowa. Despite those tough games, they still played at Wisconsin for the West title in the last game of the season. Then played the SEC division champs and 11 win Mizzou Tigers in the Bowl Game.

Say what you will about this year's schedule, but 2014 is about as tough as it's going to get.

Your position is to get rid of him after one year, with at least 7 wins...so thus the argument. Wow. I also went with the first six years, since you brought that up as well.

Again, kind of making my argument. Of course he's not your typical proven, high profile coach who is given a 4 or 5 year contract with a large buyout. He's making more than Jerry did in his first year, though. Ferentz, Alvarez and Fitz were all unproven when hired and had salaries and contracts that reflected that as well.

My position is to let the rest of the season play out first.

Ferentz and Alvarez were hired from outside. Not given 1 year prove it deals with no AD in place. It's not difficult to understand.

Fitzgerald's promotion could be considered similar to Claeys, however unlike Minnesota, Northwestern had a long time AD in place.

Well you seem to have everything figured out so I must say I'm disappointed you can't enlighten us with who could lead us to the promised land. Or are you just a trolling tool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Rhule
PJ Fleck
Willie Taggert
Craig Bohl
Dave Aranda
and I'm sure there are about 10 more, all of which I'm sure Mark Coyle is aware of. These are just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure you can follow Claeys wherever he ends up.

Matt Rhule
PJ Fleck
Willie Taggert
Craig Bohl
Dave Aranda
and I'm sure there are about 10 more, all of which I'm sure Mark Coyle is aware of. These are just a few off the top of my head.

Why would any of those guys leave their current jobs for a lower-third Big Ten job (at best) where the fans want to run you off after one year if you don't win 9 games and don't win them the "right way"? Aranda? Are you f'ing serious? Any of these guys (particularly Aranda, Fleck, and Bohl) would hold out for a much better job than to come here and be the next sacrificial lamb after a 5-year run.

I'm sure you can follow Claeys wherever he ends up.

Why are you so antagonistic toward Claeys? Did he **** your sister or something? My God. For a supposed Gopher football "fan", you sure do hate the coach.

Sorry, I probably didn't make it clear. I think the discussion of firing Claeys if he goes 8-4 is the single dumbest thing ever discussed on Gopherhole. I have been posting here a long time. I am not one of those posters who hates speculation or rips on anyone who brings up recruiting rankings, but the discussion of firing an 8-4 Tracy Claeys is pure lunacy.

That said, IF the U was choosing to fire him at 8-4, they BETTER have an amazing coach sitting there begging to take the job. I was critiquing his idea that at 7-5, you fire him immediately, but at 8-4. . .maybe you wait out the bowl game. It was an atrocious take.

Nailed it.

Why would any of those guys leave their current jobs for a lower-third Big Ten job (at best) where the fans want to run you off after one year if you don't win 9 games and don't win them the "right way"? Aranda? Are you f'ing serious? Any of these guys (particularly Aranda, Fleck, and Bohl) would hold out for a much better job than to come here and be the next sacrificial lamb after a 5-year run.

Why are you so antagonistic toward Claeys? Did he **** your sister or something? My God. For a supposed Gopher football "fan", you sure do hate the coach.

Oh, I don't know, maybe because some of these guys could make a million to a million and a half more dollars, doubling or more than doubling their current salaries. Who knows, maybe they respect the AD, maybe they like the brand spankin new facilities, maybe they love the beautiful stadium. Maybe they want to compete in the Big Ten? Why are you so down on the University of Minnesota? The Twin Cities?

I have no problem with any of local sportswriters and I really don't care who the coach is. If Claeys can bring in the talent and win that is great. The biggest issue here is perception and getting more people into the seats. Everybody says winning takes care of everything but this is a strange market unlike any other. I support all of the teams here but I care more about the "U". I still envision the day where every seat is filled, everyone is standing, and everyone is yelling. I hope someday this will happen.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom