Current Scholarship Numbers

Sophomores and Juniors that graduate before their eligibility runs out automatically become grad players-if they enroll in grad school.

Those scholarships don’t count.
My man, I don't know why you keep saying this. This is completely, 100%, unalterably false.

Until I see something official, I concur. I’m afraid that hm had made a bad assumption or got bad info from somewhere.

What I *could* see is the following thing: if a player wants to keep pursuing grad school within the 5 year window, but agrees not to participate on the team .... the team could keep funding a scholarship for the former player and have it not count against the 85.

That I could see.

But if the guy is participating, I can’t see where it wouldn’t count against the 85.

My man, I don't know why you keep saying this. This is completely, 100%, unalterably false.
Players on scholarship that are in grad school don’t count toward the 85.

Players on scholarship that are in grad school don’t count toward the 85.
Well, it's quite remarkable that Thomas Barber has already graduated with a degree in business and marketing education. Why is his scholarship being counted against the 85?

What's that? Rodney Smith has already graduated with a degree in youth studies? The coaching staff is full of ninnies for not getting him removed from the 85.

Hey, is that Winston DeLattiboudere over there? I notice that he already graduated with a degree in sociology of law, criminology and deviance. Why in god's name is he listed on the 85-scholarship spreadsheet?

Good to meet you, Sam Renner. I notice you've already graduated with a degree in applied economics. Want to tell me why you're being counted against the 85?

Somebody wake up Fleck and tell him he has some extra scholarships to work with.

All these players are taking graduate courses. All of them are on scholarship. All of them are being counted as part of the 85 total.

Well, it's quite remarkable that Thomas Barber has already graduated with a degree in business and marketing education. Why is his scholarship being counted against the 85?

What's that? Rodney Smith has already graduated with a degree in youth studies? The coaching staff is full of ninnies for not getting him removed from the 85.

Hey, is that Winston DeLattiboudere over there? I notice that he already graduated with a degree in sociology of law, criminology and deviance. Why in god's name is he listed on the 85-scholarship spreadsheet?

Good to meet you, Sam Renner. I notice you've already graduated with a degree in applied economics. Want to tell me why you're being counted against the 85?

Somebody wake up Fleck and tell him he has some extra scholarships to work with.

All these players are taking graduate courses. All of them are on scholarship. All of them are being counted as part of the 85 total.
GOLD!

I'm questioning whether Dickson will go. Haven't really heard much from him (unless I missed it). As a JUCO transfer I would have expected him to at least be in the two deep, and I don't think he was.

Also, do you think Z Annexstad gets his scholarship renewed? Everyone is counting him, but he was a walk-on originally, so he is year to year.
Dickson was on the two deep every game and by all accounts was the #7 OL and #4 OT. Losing him would be a big blow for depth next year.

Yes I'm sure he had some nice plays this season. Also some bad plays (on special teams).

Realistically, he's a legacy (dad starred here), so probably not going anywhere unless he wants to. He will be #3 at best this year, assuming JDS or younger guys don't come in and pass him up.
Unless Daniel Jackson or one of the newcomers turns out to be the next Bateman, I'd be very surprised if Douglas wasn't the #3 WR and a starter next year. He was clearly one of only 4 WR's we had that the staff felt comfortable actually throwing their way and one of them is graduating.

Personally I think there is a good chance he has a 600 or so receiving yards next year, similar to what Carrington Thompson did in 2016 at WMU. In Fleck's third year at WMU, they had two 1,000 yard NFL receivers in Davis and Bravemen. Then Bravermen graduated and Davis ended up having a 1,300 yard season, Michael Henry had a 700 or so yard season, similar to what i'd expect out of CAB and Thompson had a 600+ yard season. I think next year Bateman is our Corey Davis, CAB is our Michael Henry and Douglas is our Carrington Thompson.

Unless Daniel Jackson or one of the newcomers turns out to be the next Bateman, I'd be very surprised if Douglas wasn't the #3 WR and a starter next year. He was clearly one of only 4 WR's we had that the staff felt comfortable actually throwing their way and one of them is graduating.

Personally I think there is a good chance he has a 600 or so receiving yards next year, similar to what Carrington Thompson did in 2016 at WMU. In Fleck's third year at WMU, they had two 1,000 yard NFL receivers in Davis and Bravemen. Then Bravermen graduated and Davis ended up having a 1,300 yard season, Michael Henry had a 700 or so yard season, similar to what i'd expect out of CAB and Thompson had a 600+ yard season. I think next year Bateman is our Corey Davis, CAB is our Michael Henry and Douglas is our Carrington Thompson.

Would Cam Martinez start right away?

i would lean towards no. Of course anything is possible though.
depends on what you mean by start. He may be active and get slot WR plays. Always hard to say how it will shake out until the guys get on campus and start competing

There’s absolutely no way for any of us to know how quickly these Freshman will adjust, but I won’t be shocked if Jackson gets a meaningful number of snaps at WR. I’m not yet sold on CAB as a #2, and Douglas is coming off of a disappointing season. They will be looking to upgrade, whether it’s a true or redshirt Freshman, or CAB and/or Douglas taking it up a notch. We can’t have Bateman double or triple teamed on every play.

Not sure why you’re not sold on CAB as a 2, nor why you thing Douglas had a disappointing year. The passing offense was set up to highlight TJ and Bateman yet so how were either CAB or DD supposed to get more catches? Both exhibited excellent hand and when it came down to crunch time and plays were called with them as primary receivers to surprise opposing defenses both of them produced.

Seems many of us have become jaded by having a historically productive WR tandem this year. If DJ comes in and becomes the next TJ/RB then great- if not I’m more than comfortable with CAB and DD as our 2 and 3.

Not sure why you’re not sold on CAB as a 2, nor why you thing Douglas had a disappointing year. The passing offense was set up to highlight TJ and Bateman yet so how were either CAB or DD supposed to get more catches? Both exhibited excellent hand and when it came down to crunch time and plays were called with them as primary receivers to surprise opposing defenses both of them produced.

Seems many of us have become jaded by having a historically productive WR tandem this year. If DJ comes in and becomes the next TJ/RB then great- if not I’m more than comfortable with CAB and DD as our 2 and 3.

Hope I’m wrong.

Getting the TE and RB more involved in the passing game would help too. Anything to keep defenses from taking Bateman out of the game.

I’m a fan of CAB, but I’m also not very jazzed about DD having a bigger role. I suspect his Punt Return performance is influencing my opinion of him, however. Also, the fact that I still think his other offers had it right wanting to put him at DB.

Hope I’m wrong.

Getting the TE and RB more involved in the passing game would help too. Anything to keep defenses from taking Bateman out of the game.

I think getting the TE more involved in the passing game will work against Bateman.

This is a trend in the NFL and college. If your WR are really strong, you max protect (often w/6 OL) and make the team cover them for 6 seconds.

If our TEs are in the passing game, expect a bunch of blitzing, cover 1 on everyone but Bateman and opponents betting the DD or Paulson can't burn them.

I think getting the TE more involved in the passing game will work against Bateman.

This is a trend in the NFL and college. If your WR are really strong, you max protect (often w/6 OL) and make the team cover them for 6 seconds.

If our TEs are in the passing game, expect a bunch of blitzing, cover 1 on everyone but Bateman and opponents betting the DD or Paulson can't burn them.

In the 6 OL package, there are literally 2 receivers running routes. Penn State had 5-6 defenders covering two receivers on that TD pass to TJ along the side line. They had the play covered pretty well, and it took a perfect throw. The only reason TJ was able to draw single coverage is because they were overcompensating for the slant pattern. Bateman was completely taken out of the play by the defensive alignment. I don’t see that becoming a staple of our passing game. It’s a run first, maybe we can catch them napping and throw it over their heads type of formation. Even on that play, Morgan was about to get drilled by their DE as he released the ball, because our O-Lineman of the year wasn’t able to hold his block for more than 1/2 second.

We are talking about finding additional 5 or 6 players who will have to leave the program to accommodate a 2020 class of 25-26.

That is quite a few kids who have to transfer, graduate early, or leave the program for medical or other reasons. Some who are buried on the depth chart who want to play may opt to transfer like Chris Streveler did. BTW, he did remarkably well at South Dakota.

Every recruiting class have "natural" attrition. I am curious to find out how many of the recruits from each class are still around after 1, 2, or 3 years. If somebody has time, it will be nice to look at every recruiting class starting with 2015. That will give an indication of what level of attrition there is. I will not be surprised if it is a lot higher than we think.

If PJ Fleck always going to have 24-26 players in each recruiting class? How much pressure will that put on managing the scholarships and player perceptions/expectations? Is this a good thing or a bad thing for the program long term?

Last edited:

Highly doubt it is any kind of trend.

Rather, it's you wanting that to be true, because you want our offensive philosophy to seem not on the fringe.

In the 6 OL package, there are literally 2 receivers running routes. Penn State had 5-6 defenders covering two receivers on that TD pass to TJ along the side line. They had the play covered pretty well, and it took a perfect throw. The only reason TJ was able to draw single coverage is because they were overcompensating for the slant pattern. Bateman was completely taken out of the play by the defensive alignment. I don’t see that becoming a staple of our passing game. It’s a run first, maybe we can catch them napping and throw it over their heads type of formation. Even on that play, Morgan was about to get drilled by their DE as he released the ball, because our O-Lineman of the year wasn’t able to hold his block for more than 1/2 second.
Excellent post

Let the record show (before the troll posts roll in): I want our offense to succeed, as it largely did this year. I want Morgan to be Heisman, I want Bateman to be the best WR in college, I want KC to be Assistant of the year.

I have a philosophical disagreement with our offensive system .... but any offensive system can succeed, with the right players, and the right plays called at the right time. Yeah? Feel me?

We are talking about finding additional 5 or 6 players who will have to leave the program to accommodate a 2020 class of 25-26.

That is quite a few kids who have to transfer, graduate early, or leave the program for medical or other reasons. Some who are buried on the depth chart who want to play may opt to transfer like Chris Streveler did. BTW, he did remarkably well at South Dakota.

Every recruiting class have "natural" attrition. I am curious to find out how many of the recruits from each class are still around after 1, 2, or 3 years. If somebody has time, it will be nice to look at every recruiting class starting with 2015. That will give an indication of what level of attrition there is. I will not be surprised if it is a lot higher than we think.

If PJ Fleck always going to have 24-26 players in each recruiting class? How much pressure will that put on managing the scholarships and player perceptions/expectations? Is this a good thing or a bad thing for the program long term?
I believe the answer here is the coaching staff talks to the players during the year, everyone is open and honest, and then the coaches use the exact number of kids they know for sure want to leave to determine how many new kids to recruit. That is how the numbers always work out exactly right.

Highly doubt it is any kind of trend.

Rather, it's you wanting that to be true, because you want our offensive philosophy to seem not on the fringe.

Why would I want it to be true? Why would that be your default opinion on some thing?

Since this is your thing is to demand people to chew your food for you. Here is an entire article about it for you from 2016. It's become super common in the NFL and college football - it's considerably more popular now than 2016, but it isn't even a new thing.

I now realize you probably don't watch a lot of football other than Gophers. If you did, you would have noticed a lot of other teams going to heavy max protect offenses. One of those is the Saints, presumably, because no one can cover Michael Thomas if they give him enough time.

Let the record show (before the troll posts roll in): I want our offense to succeed, as it largely did this year. I want Morgan to be Heisman, I want Bateman to be the best WR in college, I want KC to be Assistant of the year.

I have a philosophical disagreement with our offensive system .... but any offensive system can succeed, with the right players, and the right plays called at the right time. Yeah? Feel me?
Seemed pretty successful in 2019.

A high school teammate of our Deangelo Carter who is at Georgia, Otis Reese, just put his name in the transfer portal. He’s a 4 star linebacker/safety who was the #87 prospect overall, #5 linebacker nationally and #12th overall in state of Georgia. Hasn’t played much at UGA and with Terry LeCounte coming back rather than going to the NFL, I guess he wants more playing time. Has three years left but would need to sit a year if waiver not granted. He was at one time a Michigan commit. Wonder if PJ will go after him.

Top Bottom