Current Bowl Projections

Only .500 and over should go. Likely six teams. The top four + uw and MD at .500.

Only .500 and over should go. Likely six teams. The top four + uw and MD at .500.
giphy.gif

I'm sure you'll figure out what I was getting at at some point here
Yeah. So you’re saying it’s an auto loss

why should teams over .500 only go?
Last year 2 big ten teams under .500 in conference went

No extra 15 practices, like a normal year, and no whole week long trip filled with fun activities and swag-bags, etc.

Won't be the same experience, at all. Goes without saying. It'll just be another away game, especially if they play Dec 26 the Sat right after playing Wisc on the 19th.

Would we take it? Obviously yes. Otherwise they'd have announced already that they were forgoing it for the year.

Maryland-Michigan State canceled; don't know what that does to any thoughts of Maryland participating in a bowl game.

If all MD team activities (including training I suppose) have been cancelled, I would doubt they would even consider a bowl bid.
Especially since the bowl is going to be played in the next 14 days

If the Gophs do go to a bowl game, I would imagine that no matter where it was at that they will fly in the day before and leave after the game and almost treat it like a non-con game

They’re going to pass on 3-4 Minnesota for 4-5 Rutgers?
Not sure. It’s all a crapshoot.
Wisconsin game is the most important game we play this year. Important to keep the rivalry IMO

if it costs us a Covid guaranteed rate bowl. Well worth it.
We're 3-22 in the last 25 years. I can do without it.

G5 teams going to be filling games this year with all the team dropping or bowls will just cancel. Maryland is on COVID watch now so they may not be available for a bowl. Reminder that bowls are schedule to start next week.

MN is attractive for any bowl and likely will get a bid if offered.

If the Gophs do go to a bowl game, I would imagine that no matter where it was at that they will fly in the day before and leave after the game and almost treat it like a non-con game
Whatever it is, it will vault ahead of the 2000 MicronPC.com bowl and the 2015 QuickLane (?) Bowl in Detroit as the most irrelevant in Gopher history.

Whatever it is, it will vault ahead of the MicronPC.com bowl and the 2015 QuickLane (?) Bowl in Detroit as the most irrelevant in Gopher history.
I’d argue micronpc.com was a more relevant and important bowl for the program at that stage in history than any of the motor city/quick lane appearances

to include it in the discussion with 5-7 MN over central Michigan is offensive to Phil rivers

Ryan Burns seemed 100% convinced in his podcast this week that the Gophers would turn down a bowl bid if offered. He's not always right, but he's obviously got more contacts in the program than any of us. I was really surprised by this as I'd think given the youth on this team and the heavily shortened season -- including 2 canceled games -- that everyone would jump at the chance to play again. I'd be disappointed if they didn't, but I totally understand in this crazy 2020.

Ryan Burns seemed 100% convinced in his podcast this week that the Gophers would turn down a bowl bid if offered. He's not always right, but he's obviously got more contacts in the program than any of us. I was really surprised by this as I'd think given the youth on this team and the heavily shortened season -- including 2 canceled games -- that everyone would jump at the chance to play again. I'd be disappointed if they didn't, but I totally understand in this crazy 2020.

Fleck was necessarily on the "we have to play this year" train. Could be a reason for turning down a bowl. But it will likely come down to what the players decide. I'd guess a Music City Bowl against Tennessee would be attractive.

But at the same time...I could see the players wanting to hang up the cleats after this odd year...and just going home to enjoy the holidays.

Fleck's dream is to beat Wisconsin and bring the Axe home as the super bowl for this year, then ride off into the covid sunset.

Losing a bowl game to an SEC team would dampen that considerably.

But if we lose to Wisconsin and still get a bid, I bet he'll take it.

As someone who was involved with a HS program this fall...I’d imagine it’s even more miserable at the FBS level.
Unless you’re competing for a championship this season was the least enjoyable in most coaches careers. One headache after another.

unless the bowl game was of National notoriety I would guess most programs would rather not play. Especially considering the extra bowl practice is essentially going to be a 5 day game prep

Can the players have any say? I'd guess a lot of those guys who have put in a lot of work and already had to deal with missing games would want to play.

Can the players have any say? I'd guess a lot of those guys who have put in a lot of work and already had to deal with missing games would want to play.
Players not wanting to play is literally why most of these programs are choosing to not play

Fleck has said that the any bowl decision will be made as a family including the players, coaches and administration. It appears that, at a lot of places, the players have had enough.

Fleck has said that the any bowl decision will be made as a family including the players, coaches and administration. It appears that, at a lot of places, the players have had enough.
What do you mean here? I haven't seen or heard anything from players saying they're ready for the year to be done, but maybe I missed something.

They just played a pretty good game last weekend...I'd imagine they are feeling pretty good right now.

What do you mean here? I haven't seen or heard anything from players saying they're ready for the year to be done, but maybe I missed something.

They just played a pretty good game last weekend...I'd imagine they are feeling pretty good right now.
We haven't heard anything about the MN players, but I think he's saying that's the sentiment nationally. The players at multiple schools have voted not to accept a bowl bid. I think they're sick of getting tested, living in a pseudo-bubble, and being unable to see family let alone travel home.

Again, I'd love to see the Gophers play a good opponent in a bowl game, but I'd understand if they call it quits after tomorrow.

Top Bottom