Current Bowl Projections

This is the type of year where any two teams and a stadium, and a sports network could get on a phone can create their own bowl game and be ready in about 2 weeks.

No one seems to be thinking of that, with all the euphoria over playing Wisconsin at Madison. A 3-4 team is not likely to get a bowl bid. What clout Alvarez has to upend the entire crossover arrangement - or is it just a weak B10 Commissioner?
In case you missed it, and I'm quite sure you did, both Fleck and Coyle came out in favor of playing Wisconsin. It's important. Who the heck cares about Michigan State. Also, we were scheduled to play them there this year so, of course, that's where its going to be. No issues. Beat em there 2 years ago.. Pull your big girl panties up.
Part of me thinks your take is a bit, because you can't really be serious.

In case you missed it, and I'm quite sure you did, both Fleck and Coyle came out in favor of playing Wisconsin. It's important. Who the heck cares about Michigan State. Also, we were scheduled to play them there this year so, of course, that's where its going to be. No issues. Beat em there 2 years ago.. Pull your big girl panties up.
Part of me thinks your take is a bit, because you can't really be serious.

WI and MN administrators were heavily in favor of the WI-MN game.
Also the Big Ten agreed to WI and MN wishes.

We're kinda a big deal around here. Big Ten doesn't treat us like Nebraska or something.
You play 3 Friday games for the Big Ten, they'll give a favor back every now and then.

(Thanks MD and MSU for playing each other this weekend to make it happen).

No one seems to be thinking of that, with all the euphoria over playing Wisconsin at Madison. A 3-4 team is not likely to get a bowl bid. What clout Alvarez has to upend the entire crossover arrangement - or is it just a weak B10 Commissioner?

B1G Commissioner isn't a dictatorship....

Most of the decisions we hear about are made by the members voting.

What three were cancelled? I only heard that the Pinnstripe was cancelled?
Per ESPN article dated December 2:

The Las Vegas Bowl became the latest postseason bowl game to be canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic, ESPN Events announced Wednesday.
The Las Vegas Bowl is the 10th bowl game canceled because of the pandemic; the Bahamas, Celebration, Fenway, Hawaii, Holiday, Motor City, Pinstripe, Redbox and Sun bowls are the others.

The Las Vegas Bowl became the latest postseason bowl game to be canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic, ESPN Events announced Wed

The Las Vegas Bowl became the latest postseason bowl game to be canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic, ESPN Events announced Wednesday.
The Las Vegas Bowl is the 10th bowl game canceled because of the pandemic; the Bahamas, Celebration, Fenway, Hawaii, Holiday, Motor City, Pinstripe, Redbox and Sun bowls are the others.
No one would be able to play or practice at the Hawaii bowl for I believe 14 days once you land there. They are very strict right now with many being arrested.

They’re going to pass on 3-4 Minnesota for 4-5 Rutgers?
Not sure. It’s all a crapshoot.
Wisconsin game is the most important game we play this year. Important to keep the rivalry IMO

if it costs us a Covid guaranteed rate bowl. Well worth it.

If it was a loss, how we lost could make a difference. Get blown out? yeah sure, wrap up the season. Lose by a late field goal? Maybe that's not so bad - send us to a bowl!

If the Gophers beat the Badgers on Saturday....they'd finish fifth in the conference....believe it or not.

The Music City Bowl would be a nice landing spot. Tennessee would be a fun matchup.
If Minnesota wins, there will be only five teams above .500 teams in the Big Ten. If Wisconsin wins, four.

This is the type of year where any two teams and a stadium, and a sports network could get on a phone can create their own bowl game and be ready in about 2 weeks.
Without bowl payout $ I highly doubt any 2 random teams would fund an impromptu neutral site game (including all the COVID testing involved), not would the players be likely to be enthused about the extra commitment.
I wonder how much $ it is per day to do all the testing for every player and staff member? We’re talking at least another week of daily testing beyond 12/19, almost 2 weeks until NYD, and I wonder if travel costs are higher as wel with COVID precautions. Does it make sense to have all the bowl games, or just the higher tier ones?

Without bowl payout $ I highly doubt any 2 random teams would fund an impromptu neutral site game (including all the COVID testing involved), not would the players be likely to be enthused about the extra commitment.
I wonder how much $ it is per day to do all the testing for every player and staff member? We’re talking at least another week of daily testing beyond 12/19, almost 2 weeks until NYD, and I wonder if travel costs are higher as wel with COVID precautions. Does it make sense to have all the bowl games, or just the higher tier ones?

Well....I'm guessing that if two teams decided to set up a game, especially on a light CFB day after christmas, that there would be some TV revenue involved. Not to mention that it wouldn't be impossible to get a sponsor for a one off game to help offset the costs. Not saying that it will happen....but BYU and Coastal Carolina threw together a game in the matter of a few days.

Well....I'm guessing that if two teams decided to set up a game, especially on a light CFB day after christmas, that there would be some TV revenue involved. Not to mention that it wouldn't be impossible to get a sponsor for a one off game to help offset the costs. Not saying that it will happen....but BYU and Coastal Carolina threw together a game in the matter of a few days.
Good point about the BYU-Coastal game. I’m guessing they made that deal as an “investment” knowing that the winner of that game would be more likely to get into at least a NY6, which could be a MASSIVE payout increase depending on how much their conferences require sharing revenue. For a B1G team I don’t think there’s any way they would be allowed by the conf to “one off” a payout from TV and a sponsor; at very best it would probably be a break even.
For the Gophers - if they beat Wisconsin it will be the highlight of the year. A second rate bowl game would be anticlimactic. If they lose to Wisconsin, even if a bowl offers due to lack of teams available, I’d be surprised if they would really go to an even lower bowl at 3-4 after beating possibly the 3 worst teams in the B1G, and losing all 3 trophy games.

Good point about the BYU-Coastal game. I’m guessing they made that deal as an “investment” knowing that the winner of that game would be more likely to get into at least a NY6, which could be a MASSIVE payout increase depending on how much their conferences require sharing revenue. For a B1G team I don’t think there’s any way they would be allowed by the conf to “one off” a payout from TV and a sponsor; at very best it would probably be a break even.
For the Gophers - if they beat Wisconsin it will be the highlight of the year. A second rate bowl game would be anticlimactic. If they lose to Wisconsin, even if a bowl offers due to lack of teams available, I’d be surprised if they would really go to an even lower bowl at 3-4 after beating possibly the 3 worst teams in the B1G, and losing all 3 trophy games.

Right. But isn't having the extra practice time an investment too? And I don't think the the team would benefit solely from a televised game payout. It would go into the pot that is split between the conference teams like every other televised game. I'd guess that if the games were placed in slots where a canceled bowl game went....it would still attract a good number of viewers. Even the lower tier bowls tend to bring in two to four million viewers....which is as much as a top ten weekly primetime television show.

From ESPN at 12:20 today:

TransPerfect Music City Bowl
Nissan Stadium (Nashville, Tennessee)
3:30 p.m. on ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Minnesota vs. Tennessee
Schlabach: Minnesota vs. Kentucky

From ESPN at 12:20 today:

TransPerfect Music City Bowl
Nissan Stadium (Nashville, Tennessee)
3:30 p.m. on ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Minnesota vs. Tennessee
Schlabach: Minnesota vs. Kentucky

I think it’s pretty clear winner of the Minnesota-WI gets the music city bowl invite.
If we lose, no idea what happens.
if they lose, I suspect they don’t get a bowl invite

Gophers were predicted to finish 5th in B1G West this season by some prognosticators. A 3-4 finish may not garner a bowl invitation unless more teams opted not to go. The question someone posted earlier - is it worth it?

If you really care about Minnesota going to a bowl, you should want:
Nebraska to beat Rutgers (Rutgers at 4-5 or Minnesota at 3-4?....Nebraska can’t pass MN)

Illinois to beat penn state (penn state at 4-5 or Minnesota at 3-4?...Illinois can’t pass MN)

Michigan state to beat Maryland (Maryland at 3-3 with a win over MN or Minnesota at 3-4?....Michigan state can’t pass MN)

Iowa to beat Michigan (Michigan at 3-4 with a win over MN or Minnesota at 3-4?....maybe Iowa sneaks into New Years 6 if 3-4 upsets happen)

Indiana to beat Purdue (don’t think Purdue can pass us even with a win, but Indiana winning guarantees a 2nd New Years 6 team IMO)

If you really care about Minnesota going to a bowl, you should want:
Nebraska to beat Rutgers (Rutgers at 4-5 or Minnesota at 3-4?....Nebraska can’t pass MN)

Illinois to beat penn state (penn state at 4-5 or Minnesota at 3-4?...Illinois can’t pass MN)

Michigan state to beat Maryland (Maryland at 3-3 with a win over MN or Minnesota at 3-4?....Michigan state can’t pass MN)

Iowa to beat Michigan (Michigan at 3-4 with a win over MN or Minnesota at 3-4?....maybe Iowa sneaks into New Years 6 if 3-4 upsets happen)

Indiana to beat Purdue (don’t think Purdue can pass us even with a win, but Indiana winning guarantees a 2nd New Years 6 team IMO)
I suspect the following programs would opt of of bowls if offered:

Illinois, Michigan, Michigan state

Are you working on the Face the Facts bowl?

That's a great idea!
I just need a stadium to rent and a TV contract.

Also need to come up with a gift bag idea for players.
Perhaps I can provide free message board content emailed to their email address.

WI and MN administrators were heavily in favor of the WI-MN game.
Also the Big Ten agreed to WI and MN wishes.

We're kinda a big deal around here. Big Ten doesn't treat us like Nebraska or something.
You play 3 Friday games for the Big Ten, they'll give a favor back every now and then.

(Thanks MD and MSU for playing each other this weekend to make it happen).
Mich St certainly didn't want to play us, and Maryland probably didn't want to play Wisconsin.

Fair enough, but LV was a PAC vs SEC matchup this year. Redbox is a cancelled one, true.

And Big Ten dropped the Holiday bowl.

I think the STrib today said the Guarantee Rate Bowl would be the most likely possibility, if we win. If we lose, don't think we'll get to a bowl.

Crazy how much this season could end up like 2018!

The Guaranteed Rate Bowl (Fiesta Bowl) will be played on December 26th, a week after the Wisconsin game—with Christmas intervening. Not a lot of extra practices. Music City Bowl played on December 30th, which is better time wise.

The Guaranteed Rate Bowl (Fiesta Bowl) will be played on December 26th, a week after the Wisconsin game—with Christmas intervening. Not a lot of extra practices. Music City Bowl played on December 30th, which is better time wise.

Ever since the Gophers played in the Liberty and Independence Bowls, I've wished the Gophers would someday play in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

Give me Independence!
Give me Liberty!
And Give me a Guaranteed Rate!

CFN:

Guaranteed Rate Bowl

Saturday, December 26
ESPN, 10:15 pm
Chase Field, Phoenix, AZ
Bowl Tie-Ins: Big 12 vs. Big Ten
Last Season: Air Force 31, Washington State 21
Note: Was Cheez-It Bowl last season
Projection: TCU vs Minnesota

CFN:

Guaranteed Rate Bowl

Saturday, December 26
ESPN, 10:15 pm
Chase Field, Phoenix, AZ
Bowl Tie-Ins: Big 12 vs. Big Ten
Last Season: Air Force 31, Washington State 21
Note: Was Cheez-It Bowl last season
Projection: TCU vs Minnesota

Man I like making a rando comment but I don't want to go full time reliving the Jerry Kill days stuff for a while .....

At least bowl time comes fast this year.

Bowl practices greatly overrated this year. Normally it gets you an extra few weeks of practice which can be partially used for non gameplan specific work. Because the end of the season is pushed back so late it’s essentially just another game week this year.

Not worthless but not nearly the same value added

Top Bottom