Culture Counts: Deion Sanders chaotic culture turns into locker room violence in Colorado

Sanders should be coaching in an alternative pro league like the USFL or XFL. His handling of student athletes is embarrassing.
Why do you think he should be coaching at all? If his kid wasn't the star QB, would Prime have been hired to coach that high school team? Would Jackson State have hired him if his star QB son didn't go there? Would Colorado have hired him if not for his star QB son?

I doubt it. If you look at his resume, he started Prime Prep and then basically rode his son's coattails from school to school. (Yes, technically he went to Colorado first, but I think everyone knew he was bringing his son with him.)

No way any pro athlete would take him serious as a head coach.

Why do you think he should be coaching at all? If his kid wasn't the star QB, would Prime have been hired to coach that high school team? Would Jackson State have hired him if his star QB son didn't go there? Would Colorado have hired him if not for his star QB son?

I doubt it. If you look at his resume, he started Prime Prep and then basically rode his son's coattails from school to school. (Yes, technically he went to Colorado first, but I think everyone knew he was bringing his son with him.)

No way any pro athlete would take him serious as a head coach.
It will be interesting to see what he does next year when his kid is no longer on the team. My guess is he will get real tired of coaching and the work that comes along with it.

It will be interesting to see what he does next year when his kid is no longer on the team. My guess is he will get real tired of coaching and the work that comes along with it.
Yeah, and it'll be interesting to see what happens to the team. I think Hunter can go pro. Will they end up being back in the dumpster after this flash in the pan experiment? They'll probably be better off just because of the new landscape: being in the P4 and being able to pay players to come there.

Either way, I think Colorado is going to feel used when this is all done.

I don’t recall the heaps of drama with Brewster’s players.
Nothing shocking, but there were a bunch of suspensions - Kevin Whaley getting in a fight at the Insight Bowl, Kyle Theret's DWI, Brandon Kirksey, Jewhan Edwards, RaShede Hageman all had their things, among many guys. Stories from that era refer to things like "8 players suspended this year for off-field incidents". Gary Tinsley (RIP) had his share of run-ins. Even some of his one-time commits that never played here like Sheldon Richardson and Taylor Lewan had drug suspensions in the NFL.

Plus the Brewster-era Gophers were forever on the academic brink, near the bottom of APR numbers.

Brew recruited some talented dudes but was willing to sacrifice character and grades for talent. Not everyone, there were plenty of great character guys who played for the U under Brew.

Agree. If things really sour and he moves on, I fully expect a messy set of recriminations to be spouted by Deion including "The spoiled players wouldn't buy in!" "They aren't real men willing to pay the price." "Administration is gutless." And on and on it will go. It will be a caravan of resentment making stops at all the jockocracy media outposts where it will be slurped up and used to promote Deion, Inc. Unlike the late Denny Green, I doubt he'll be on the high road.

They’ll slow walk an investigation and he’ll leave after this year on his own never to face any punishment for the culture he created.

Ah, the world's most convenient scapegoat in times of tough choices. Totally Deion.

Just like when God's Plan for a player suddenly changes when he gets an offer of more money from a rival school.
After lots of prayer and consultation with my family, God told me to do whatever the fuck I want and get mine.

Nothing shocking, but there were a bunch of suspensions - Kevin Whaley getting in a fight at the Insight Bowl, Kyle Theret's DWI, Brandon Kirksey, Jewhan Edwards, RaShede Hageman all had their things, among many guys. Stories from that era refer to things like "8 players suspended this year for off-field incidents". Gary Tinsley (RIP) had his share of run-ins. Even some of his one-time commits that never played here like Sheldon Richardson and Taylor Lewan had drug suspensions in the NFL.

Plus the Brewster-era Gophers were forever on the academic brink, near the bottom of APR numbers.

Brew recruited some talented dudes but was willing to sacrifice character and grades for talent. Not everyone, there were plenty of great character guys who played for the U under Brew.
Thanks for this. When you made the original post, I laughed but it was so true lol. I mean, what are the odds they'd both have kids at QB and safety???

Anyways, I thought you were accurate about Brewster's players but couldn't come up with all the examples you did.

I'm surprised it didn't work out for Tim Brewster with Deion Sanders because Deion is a lot like Brewster.

Lots of big talk. One kid who's a QB, the other who's a safety. Recruits a lot of talent that will have heaps of drama and not play well together. Tons of turnover in their programs.
Brew was an awful head coach but the guy is clearly a real football guy. He has been coaching college football or in the NFL since 1986 and coached for some of the best coaches in the world including Bobby Ross, Mack Brown, Dan Mullen and Jimbo. I would never hire Tim Brewster to be a head coach and he was an awful head coach, but comparing him to Deion is not fair. He was just bad at that job, he wasn't using us to prop up his kid (hell, he cut his kid).

Brew was an awful head coach but the guy is clearly a real football guy. He has been coaching college football or in the NFL since 1986 and coached for some of the best coaches in the world including Bobby Ross, Mack Brown, Dan Mullen and Jimbo. I would never hire Tim Brewster to be a head coach and he was an awful head coach, but comparing him to Deion is not fair. He was just bad at that job, he wasn't using us to prop up his kid (hell, he cut his kid).
Deion's a real football guy too. He's a Hall of Famer with Super Bowl rings and a lifetime in and around the game.

I just think his extreme-turnover approach to roster and staff building will eventually wobble and collapse once he gets past Jackson State where he could just out-recruit everyone at that level due to his name and Netflix special and buying things for their broke program.

The race is on for him to develop a well-rounded roster and another QB and some kind of player and coach stability at CU before his son and Hunter graduate and he's really playing a bare hand.

Mason and Kill had just as much drama with players. Brew dismissed four former Mason players for sexual misconduct prior to coaching his first game and Kill had 6 dismissed. Brew actually improved the APR numbers quite a bit from what he inherited.

What hard work has he done?

He has yet to go on a recruiting visit for one.
There is a reason you don't see a lot of star players get into coaching. I will be very surprised if his coaching career continues all that long after his kid is done playing college football.

Really don’t know how you could look at Colorado at this point and think you want your kid to go there to play football. The only guys with draft potential are all Deion’s kids (the real ones and Hunter) and he (and his staff) hasn’t shown that they can develop anyone with what they’re currently doing.

Deion's a real football guy too. He's a Hall of Famer with Super Bowl rings and a lifetime in and around the game.

I just think his extreme-turnover approach to roster and staff building will eventually wobble and collapse once he gets past Jackson State where he could just out-recruit everyone at that level due to his name and Netflix special and buying things for their broke program.

The race is on for him to develop a well-rounded roster and another QB and some kind of player and coach stability at CU before his son and Hunter graduate and he's really playing a bare hand.
He's a Hall of Fame player so that does make him a football guy, but it doesn't mean squat when it comes to coaching and running a program.

OT: Yup, Jerry Kill cleaned house and cleaned up the off-campus posse and rescued the careers of some talent worth saving. He had people keeping their eyes on the remaining players and making sure they "played school". Didn't Jerry Kill personally go to Ra'shede Hageman's room to wake him up when he didn't show up in class?

Give Jerry Kill some credit for doing the job of Mega Tongue Teague in pushing for the Athletic Village and for laying the foundation bricks for PJ Fleck. His guffaw against PJ Fleck blemished his reputation.

OT: Yup, Jerry Kill cleaned house and cleaned up the off-campus posse and rescued the careers of some talent worth saving. He had people keeping their eyes on the remaining players and making sure they "played school". Didn't Jerry Kill personally go to Ra'shede Hageman's room to wake him up when he didn't show up in class?

Give Jerry Kill some credit for doing the job of Mega Tongue Teague in pushing for the Athletic Village and for laying the foundation bricks for PJ Fleck. His guffaw against PJ Fleck blemished his reputation.
Jerry did his job but as far as political and administration stuff…. I think Jerry has proven that’s not his skill….

Top Bottom